Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Lmfao of course that's the solution

Sad when community mod/solutions are better than the devs.

Some day, there will be a all in 1 mod to "fix" the game and ill finally play it through. Shame, I really enjoy the VR side of it but LOL playing it on a rift unmodded, and i'm not going to jump through 90 hoops to make it 'semi' playable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That Fallout 4 patch is a loving joke, I'm done playing that poo poo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What was the issue with the scopes in Fallout 4?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gort posted:

They didnt work. Like at all. If I remember right.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gort posted:

They are completely non functional, in that not only does looking through them not zoom, they're actually just a flat texture on the gun model

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Of course they are just regular textures, what did you expect for $60? Maybe for another $60, they'll consider adding a DLC with items that can actually be manipulated like you'd expect in a VR game.
(They likely had to release this poo poo to prove to the courts that they were invested in VR for their Oculus suit)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Best Buy has a bunch of Samsung headsets up on eBay for the normal retail $500 is anyone was still hunting for one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192425895482

No way I'd get one with the Vive Pro on the horizon, but maybe you have a reason.

Edit: Speaking of Vive Pro, did anyone catch that it uses USB-C and DP 1.2? That's a weird change-up... I prefer DP since obviously any GPU is going to have more DP ports than HDMI, but not a lot of desktops have USB-C yet. Maybe it has a dongle to adapt C to A?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 30, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Every desktop built from now until forever is going to have USB-C, not having the new de-facto standard port on your pro model VR headset is going to look super quaint in about 18 months. No reason to support legacy hardware on blessing edge pro hardware.

Also you get power for free in addition to data with USB-C.

Even wireless headphones, wireless Bluetooth speakers, lowest end Chromebooks all use USB-C now. And of course the Nintendo switch. The only device I have not running USB-C at this point is my Kindle.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'd generally rather not have C for this because they are too small and will get all torqued to poo poo coming from your HMD.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
Have they even figured out a working USB-C standard yet, or will the wrong cable in the wrong device still cause a fire?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I got a ModMic 4 and a headphone/mic Y splice so I can use my current Sony MDR-7506 headphones and have a microphone on the Dell.

Works pretty well with the exception of having to velcro up about 20 feet of combined cable behind my head. But those headphones work so well with the Dell headband I didn't want to screw around trying to find something else. The ear pieces are thin enough to kinda tuck under it.

I can be social and talk to people now!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'd generally rather not have C for this because they are too small and will get all torqued to poo poo coming from your HMD.

Yeah, USB-C is not great for a device with a 9 foot cable that involves moving around a big area.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tax Oddity posted:

Have they even figured out a working USB-C standard yet, or will the wrong cable in the wrong device still cause a fire?

The standard is mostly fine, companies' adherence to it is not. Most of the fires are because some idiot company thought it'd be fine to cut corners.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, USB-C is not great for a device with a 9 foot cable that involves moving around a big area.

How is it any less great than a thicker cable?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

SpartanIV posted:

I think the issue is some combination of cable thickness and rigidity, connector size, and moving around. The ratio between connector size and thickness on the current A cables is more favorable than we're going to get on the Cs I think. Maybe there is something they can do with relief at either of the ends to mitigate it. I'm pessimistic about this sort of thing after seeing laptop manufacturers jump on the micro USB bandwagon and messing it up so bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SpartanIV posted:

An A connector is larger and thus stronger.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
The Pro uses a proprietary cable from the headset to the link box as we saw in the Tested video. The USB C cable would just be between the link box and your PC. I don't think my link box moves around that much, but I guess if you're stretching the limits on the cable length, you could run into issues. But if that's the case, I'd assume you could just use a longer USB C and display port cable to your PC. My Nexus 6P is two years old at this point and I have not had any trouble with the cable. It still fits nice and snug into my phone even being plugged and unplugged on a daily basis.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They should use SCSI

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A strong manly port, like parallel.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

peter gabriel posted:

They should use SCSI

A large cluster of serial ports. The way it should be.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Inch thick cables gouged in our eye sockets

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
1,000 twist lock BNC connectors

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Has anybody played with this guy's 3D printed Vive thumbstick? A friend just told me about Shapeways so I'm thinking about having them printed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

VTOLVR just released an update that lets you fly fighters. That is totes my jam.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Anyone else with a Dell/WMR having a problem with the sound from the headphone port suddenly turning into ear murdering static? I have to unplug and plug them back in for it to stop.

It's done this from the start, with or without the extensions every once in a while, but tonight was really bad. :\

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Hopefully it's just placebo, and I haven't had time to test with a fresh install or other ports, but my controls on the Lenovo seemed pretty choppy with these 10ft extensions. I would lose tracking faster and it was just not as smooth, which is really not worth the extra couple feet of space and slack on the tether. The visuals seemed fine, so maybe the extra length for the USB is adding a delay?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
gently caress you cognaccat and also I love you and don't stop making tracks in Soundboxing
https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/5c1c3112-00c6-11e8-9d41-0a580a200b94 this one was insane and I realized, painfully, too late that apparently my virtual-floor was a tad too high to do those near-the-floor squat moves you do a lot in this one

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I was punching sounds last night and holy crap are some of the tracks extremely poorly made. It's like some people have zero concept of rhythm and just want to flail their arms around like idiots for the whole song.

Songs with an obvious beat path, like tracking vocals or lead guitar, are very fun to play even when they're really difficult.

I hope there are more rhythm games in development, by companies who can deliver a catalog of professionally made tracks. What a fun genre

I'm really looking forward to beat saber

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

nickhimself posted:

I was punching sounds last night and holy crap are some of the tracks extremely poorly made. It's like some people have zero concept of rhythm and just want to flail their arms around like idiots for the whole song.

Songs with an obvious beat path, like tracking vocals or lead guitar, are very fun to play even when they're really difficult.

I hope there are more rhythm games in development, by companies who can deliver a catalog of professionally made tracks. What a fun genre

I'm really looking forward to beat saber
I truly wish creating beats 'clicked' for me, like I know several tracks that have great variance and I'll remember what I think is fun, but so help me when the song comes at me live I'll just freeze.
Always find myself coming back to it, it's the most fun I have in VR by far. A great playlist and I'm just gone for hours without thinking and end up exhausted. Good exercise, good fun.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
You have to keep in mind most people dance like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzP1XC51kro&t=40s

Even if they think they dance like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2JneittqQ

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I forget which song it was, but like 2 seconds before the beats started coming in the person who created the song held their controllers up to their head like they were rabbit ears and it looked pretty funny, I lolled

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

nickhimself posted:

I forget which song it was, but like 2 seconds before the beats started coming in the person who created the song held their controllers up to their head like they were rabbit ears and it looked pretty funny, I lolled

I want it so badly to be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGNojF9qKS0

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ever since I realized the robots copy the creator's movements I always try and throw in some fun stuff. start the song looking the wrong way, do some spins, meditate at the end, etc etc etc. my favourite recent one was where the controller lost tracking at the very end and the robot gets surprised by the disembodied floating hand in front of him.

some of my favourite recent ones I've done:

https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/10e44142-fd70-11e7-9ec4-0a580a200d21 - lone digger. imo this one is insanely fun. next level.

https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/dd21672e-0141-11e8-a6ff-0a580a200c53 - dear boy by avicii. also really good.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

what would you say the time investment would be to create a beat path for a song that's in sync with the music? how difficult is the editor to work with? i'm kind of tempted to make some tracks because a lot of the songs I'd like to play aren't even available and rather than hope someone else gets to it maybe I can just tackle that myself

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

nickhimself posted:

If you don't hate J-Pop Airtone has 25 professionally-authored tracks at three difficulty levels. The environments are pretty and there's a setting to turn off the anime girl if that's not your sort of thing.

$30 is definitely a bit on the high side for the amount of content it has but I think we're all pretty accustomed to the VR tax these days.

edit: One further caveat: The tutorial is long, slow and unskippable, but once you get through it you can just play songs without worrying about any of that stuff again.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 31, 2018

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nickhimself posted:

what would you say the time investment would be to create a beat path for a song that's in sync with the music? how difficult is the editor to work with? i'm kind of tempted to make some tracks because a lot of the songs I'd like to play aren't even available and rather than hope someone else gets to it maybe I can just tackle that myself

For me, just as long as the song is. It's a one and done thing. ymmv but I usually lay down a good result first try, with repeating movement motifs for certain parts of songs, etc. I use the editor only to go back 10 seconds or so if I blatantly hosed something up. obviously to do this well you need to know the song very well.

that said I like doing requests for people so feel free to throw out some songs and I'll make them for you when my fixed controllers get back to me.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 31, 2018

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

The Walrus posted:

For me, just as long as the song is. It's a one and done thing. ymmv but I usually lay down a good result first try, with repeating movement motifs for certain parts of songs, etc. I use the editor only to go back 10 seconds or so if I blatantly hosed something up. obviously to do this well you need to know the song very well.

that said I like doing requests for people so feel free to throw out some songs and I'll make them for you when my fixed controllers get back to me.

Oh, that doesn't sound too bad at all. I'll have to give it a shot next time I play.

I'd have to get in there and write down the songs I was hoping to find but couldn't. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I wanted to play but couldn't locate

That Airtone game seems maybe like it'd be okay, but 25 tracks doesn't sound like enough of a catalog to warrant that high of a price tag. I truly detest anime but would ignore that to play some good stuff if the value was on point

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nickhimself posted:

Oh, that doesn't sound too bad at all. I'll have to give it a shot next time I play.

definitely. the best part is that you can't really gently caress up songs that you're just making for yourself. dance like you want to and then you'll dance like you would normally when you play back the track.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

If you don't hate J-Pop Airtone has 25 professionally-authored tracks at three difficulty levels. The environments are pretty and there's a setting to turn off the anime girl if that's not your sort of thing.

$30 is definitely a bit on the high side for the amount of content it has but I think we're all pretty accustomed to the VR tax these days.

edit: One further caveat: The tutorial is long, slow and unskippable, but once you get through it you can just play songs without worrying about any of that stuff again.

I'm pretty sure I accidentally skipped the tutorial when I played, because i had to go look for it in the menus again when I had no idea how to play.
Also if it doesn't bother you I'd suggest turning on the Japanese voice acting, the English voice actor for the mascot character is not very good from what I recall, she sounded like she was holding her nose shut while talking.

The game is definitely good though, the tracks are well made and fairly difficult even on Normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
I got my ProTube today.
Heavier than I expected, but that's probably the bipod and being able to aim at distant targets makes such a difference to immersion.
It was pretty fun in Fallout 4 VR spraying bullets pivoting at the shoulder while using the other hand to run away.

The grip's a bit awkward and I haven't found a comfortable position for my left hand yet.
This is particularly awkward because Fallout 4 VR's Pip boy gets in the way of the scope.
Annoyingly the beta update broke my mods which made the reflex sights more visible.
Might switch away from pistols, since for rifles having the ProTube meant I no longer needed them.

I miss being able to use pistols two handed, so I might have to find an accessory that clips to the top of the wands.