Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

clearly missed a chance for a finale with Metal Gear Javelina piloted by one seriously angry bowl a' bacon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Couldn't stop thinking "What is this.... a machine for pigs?" in the Zoolander voice so it was ruined for me before it started

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Jukebox Hero posted:

That part is what elevates AMFP to a tragedy for me, it's where you can totally see that they were completely overwhelmed. The whole thing would have worked a lot better as a mod for Amnesia 1, because making original assets really doesn't seem to be their strong suit.

drat, I wish that game had been good, there's such a good idea to it that they managed to completely waste

Ah, yeah, Amnesia 1 DLC would've fit. I mean, the whistleblower DLC for Outlast, while gruesome, certainly did deliver what it advertised on the box. If making it DLC-sized would have worked for AMFP, they should have done that. Also, the absolutely strangest part is that the entire thing takes place outside the (business end of the) machine. It was almost a-given, with the premise, that your character would end up inside the scary pig slaughterhouse machine, and either narrowly escape, or get machined and start over with another character collecting the first character's lovecraftian journal out of a sausage casing or something.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Ya'll, the Machine for Pigs was the brutal world wars and holocausts of the 20th century. It was a metaphor :colbert:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I don't think anyone was at risk of not getting the point

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Not only was the metaphor so ham(GET IT??)-fisted it physically hurt, but then also there WAS a literal machine for pigs and it sucked and was underwhelming. It fails on every level :mad:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I will never really get over the fact that your character's name was Oswald Mandus.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone was at risk of not getting the point

Indeed. Say what you will about World War 2, at least it wasn't as sloppy and unfinished as the final act of A Machine For Pigs.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

I will never really get over the fact that your character's name was Oswald Mandus.

ewwww

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I didn’t remember the character having a name.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember Mandus because he sounded like a DC villain.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
ending scene was great

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I didn’t play pigs but is the protagonist supposed to be an allegory for Ozymandias?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
OSWALD. MANDUS. They beat you over the loving head with the themes in that game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Too Shy Guy posted:

I didn't play the first one so I thought that might have been an unfortunate holdover from that. If they did that intentionally for this game, well, my opinion of it can't really get lower at this point.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ChickenHeart posted:

My biggest gripe with Machine For Pigs that no-one ever talks about is the fact that when you finally reach 'The Aforementioned Machine That Gets The Meat And Juice Out Of People,' it turns out to be a huge letdown; instead of a hellish, labyrinthine network of conveyors and chutes sending hordes of screaming Londoners into blood-drenched processors and pig-monster-manned killing floors, you get...some torsos on meathooks traveling through a fire with some spooky industrial sounds in the background. For all the text logs and recordings hyping up this massive industrial-era sacrifice machine, and going there directly from the "oh poo poo pigs are wrecking up London" moment of the game, having the actual, titular "Machine" be nothing more than some rusty grating and oinking noises leading into a blood-river just killed all my excitement for the game.

Seriously, you look at the concept art and the initial trailer and you can't help but think 'holy poo poo, this is going to be brutal'. You're going to be wandering around inside a machine that's as much a living being, fuelled by horror and hate. Dante's Mechanized Inferno, a literal nightmare machine, vicious fleshy abominations that would make Clive Barker poo poo himself blind, sign me the gently caress up! I was lukewarm at best on the original game, but this, this is going places!

Then you play it, and the entire game may as well be a hallway filled with cabinets and pig noises that leads to a sign that says 'LOOK UPON MY PORK YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR'. There's no payoff to the setup, but the setup goes on about three hours too long anyway. And the one point where I thought it may pick up, the one moment where I thought they may throw me a bone and give me something actually scary (the pig attack on London) basically happens off-screen. It's like reading a transcript of a director's commentary for a movie where they talk about how amazing this scene is, but since you can't see it, what's the point? I think TCR took the maxim that 'what you don't see is more terrifying' too far, but forgot to show you anything to even kickstart your imagination. They have an idea of what horror is, but it's not a very good one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think it's more that they lacked the budget and experience. TCR said themselves they were disappointed by the final product and that they really didn't have anyone to blame but themselves.

I think the Machine's final rant as you ascend the ziggurat is really well-acted, but there's not much else to recommend.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Then you play it, and the entire game may as well be a hallway filled with cabinets and pig noises that leads to a sign that says 'LOOK UPON MY PORK YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR'
This is my new favorite phrase

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I think it's more that they lacked the budget and experience. TCR said themselves they were disappointed by the final product and that they really didn't have anyone to blame but themselves.

TBF I think some member Chinese Room said this about every commercial project they've released. Though when I read them talking about not being happy with Rapture it was just about some specific moments and how they were grumpy people wanted a run mechanic. It's a pity that they've always been plagued with issues like the lead designer having a mess of health problems or whatever it was, their stuff always seemed like it had promise, and I think another game or two would have found them hitting their stride.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really enjoyed Rapture but I'm a sucker for that weird mix of maudlin, melodrama and nothing really happening. Also it reminded me of the village near where we used to go camping in the Lake District when I was a kid.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Rapture is their best interactive novel, because you're walking around a perfectly ordinary place and then you find nerve gas canisters in the river.

There's a lot to like about Rapture, pity about the rest of it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm one of the very few people that liked AMFP. It wasn't scary and failed as a horror game but I enjoyed it as a "thriller" and fairly interesting walking simulator. I liked how the fact the guy had invented and built a nuclear reactor was a background detail. I liked the Orgone and Vitae alchemy and the caustic nature of the ingredients on body and soul. I liked how once you got to the heart of the machine space-time (or just his mind) started to break down. I got the impression that the machine he built in his madness was a kind of technological equivalent to the supernatural temples of other dark places of the weird elder beings that Alexander may or may not have been. He built a fringe-science-temple to the dark gods and that's cool.

But yeah it fails as a horror game AND an Amnesia sequel so I get why people don't like it. It does surprise me how universally it seems to be loathed.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, he's supposed to be making a mechanized Aztec temple to, uhh, prevent the world wars? It gets a little foggy there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bogart posted:

Yeah, he's supposed to be making a mechanized Aztec temple to, uhh, prevent the world wars? It gets a little foggy there.

Mass automated blood sacrifice to hold off the calamity of the next century. The Machine decides that’s easily doable if absolutely everyone just dies right now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Can't have a genocide if humans have already been exterminated! *taps forehead*

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Mass automated blood sacrifice to hold off the calamity of the next century. The Machine decides that’s easily doable if absolutely everyone just dies right now.
If memory serves, wasn't there was also something in there about destroying London after harvesting its population. I remember the Engineer rambling on about "the pile going critical" during the pigmen's assault on the city, but that may have been metaphorical.

For myself, I ended up tuning out of the game with the pigmen invasion. I'd gone into the game believing it to be a standard horror setting where this one little piece of the world is weird but everything outside it is fine. Two-thirds of the way through, I stumble outside and find late Victorian London being invaded by man-beasts during a suspiciously snow-free New Year's Eve night, and that Mandus has apparently been feeding hundreds of people into his magic murder machine for a year and no one noticed somehow. I'm normally pretty liberal about suspending my disbelief, but these revelations combined with the hectoring tone of the narrative to turn me off entirely.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm one of the very few people that liked AMFP. It wasn't scary and failed as a horror game but I enjoyed it as a "thriller" and fairly interesting walking simulator. I liked how the fact the guy had invented and built a nuclear reactor was a background detail. I liked the Orgone and Vitae alchemy and the caustic nature of the ingredients on body and soul. I liked how once you got to the heart of the machine space-time (or just his mind) started to break down. I got the impression that the machine he built in his madness was a kind of technological equivalent to the supernatural temples of other dark places of the weird elder beings that Alexander may or may not have been. He built a fringe-science-temple to the dark gods and that's cool.

But yeah it fails as a horror game AND an Amnesia sequel so I get why people don't like it. It does surprise me how universally it seems to be loathed.

And yet, with all that being said, I did like all those parts of the game Regarde Aduck mentioned, particularly near the end when we start wandering through increasingly abstracted mechanical spaces where no human has ever set foot, and the denouement at the steampunk-Aztec temple. It's those things that have put the game into my yearly Halloween rotation, even if the narrative still sets my teeth on edge.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I also think people are way too harsh on AMFP. It didn't really follow through but the atmosphere and storyline ya'll mention was great. It wasn't corny PORK PORK PORK stuff, the Machine was genuinely unnerving.

I mean, I like it better than Observer and Layers of Fear at least.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hahaha, I watched through John's latest vid showing the rest of the full release of Remothered and uhhhhh wow. Wow. I felt like the game was nosediving towards the end of the early access part and man the end stuff was not able to pull out of that nosedive. The story became a clusterfuck and just...

I don't really know what to say other than just the story just fell apart and everything just felt really messy. If someone wants to tell me what exactly happened in the story, that'd be fine with me because I feel like it just kinda didn't much sense, that the story was a jumble of various different ideas that they never managed to piece together smoothly.

I'm also not a fan of the whole mental health angle but that's before even getting into the issues of the story and the way it is told.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
goons hate Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs and love SOMA because the former is about problems that existed in the past, and exist today, but which privileged whiteboy nerds won't be exposed to, while the latter is about problems that might exist in the future for rich people.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
remothered is a masterpiece in how not to write a story

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

goons hate Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs and love SOMA because the former is about problems that existed in the past, and exist today, but which privileged whiteboy nerds won't be exposed to, while the latter is about problems that might exist in the future for rich people.

someone contact Gourmet Hot Takes cause boy do i have a twitter post for them

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

1stGear posted:

someone contact Gourmet Hot Takes cause boy do i have a twitter post for them

Nah it's too niche. Do goons.txt or something

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the real machine for pigs is the people trying to convince everyone else that the game was good instead of the actual reality

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Don't you know that the scariest thing of all time is a game so incomprehensible that you're laughing at whether or not the game is bugging out or not? Remothered: Moth to English Translation is the pinnacle of wait, what in horror and I don't know if this is because English was like their fourth language or what.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 1, 2018

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Crabtree posted:

Don't you know that the scariest thing of all time is a game so incomprehensible that you're laughing at whether or not the game is bugging out or not? Remothered: Moth to English Translation is the pinnacle of wait, what in horror and I don't know if this is because English was like their fourth language or what.

Every single question in Remothered has a brutally stupid answer.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm watching John Wolfe's playthrough and the opening conversation between the player and the doctor is such insane "This almost means something" gibberish its kind of impressive.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

1stGear posted:

I'm watching John Wolfe's playthrough and the opening conversation between the player and the doctor is such insane "This almost means something" gibberish its kind of impressive.

Just wait until the loving ending dude. Everything in it is utterly nonsense; THE WORLD'S LONGEST DEATH SCENE: popped eyeballs and a four story fall, what's that?

Be prepared to skip ten seconds or so every time an enemy bullshit-grabs him for an instant kill, it's very frequent

How did this game get released, holy gently caress

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Remember guys, the person making Remothered is planning this thing out to be a fuckin trilogy. :psyduck:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The house in Remothered is the biggest drat mansion I've seen, it has to be the size of an English castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Whilst I get the vitriol on the pacing and the lol worthy final death scene, the game looked decent as far as mechanics and the plot was really no worse than a Resident Evil plot. If anything I actually found the semi-nonsensicalness of it kind of charming.