Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

insidius posted:

You know what would be amazing.

If I could have chrome sync its tabs to iCloud just like Safari under OSX so that I could open them on my phone and vice versa.

I just cant move myself away from Chrome on OSX as I am tied to it on Windows as well, as horrible as it sounds I would almost take a safari for Windows at this point.

Use Chrome on iOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Last Chance posted:

Use Chrome on iOS?

This. Else you’ll be writing something to export chrome to safari every day.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Yeah it is a real shame, looks like ill just stick with the status quo of desktop/laptop syncing and iOS
devices living in a separate realm.

The inability to set default apps on iOS pushes me away from using Chrome on those devices sadly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

insidius posted:

Yeah it is a real shame, looks like ill just stick with the status quo of desktop/laptop syncing and iOS
devices living in a separate realm.

The inability to set default apps on iOS pushes me away from using Chrome on those devices sadly.

There's a program called BookMacster that will sync across all kinds of browsers. The UI is confusing and has a poo poo ton of little fiddly bits, but it actually works pretty well to keep bookmarks synced with Chrome and Safari.

I can't even remember where I got it (I likely got it as part of a "bundle" at some point), but here's there website.

http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bookmacster.html

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Take 1 was more of a "there are no good browsers on Windows" solution.

Now we have iCloud, Take 2 would be more valuable, especially if it synced Keychain items.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The regular (non-Focus) Firefox for iOS now has their adblock/"Tracking Protection" so just use that everywhere :anime:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Proteus Jones posted:

There's a program called BookMacster that will sync across all kinds of browsers. The UI is confusing and has a poo poo ton of little fiddly bits, but it actually works pretty well to keep bookmarks synced with Chrome and Safari.

When I was in a hybrid Windows/OS X/iOS universe, this is what I used, and it worked great for keeping bookmarks in sync.

The way I managed opening other tabs was just having a bookmark folder that I dropped things I had open in (along with making it a makeshift Reading List) and it was pretty annoying and terrible, but it worked enough that I kept it up.

Now that I'm macOS/iOS the whole way through, I'm much happier. But with the continuing prevalence of Windows, :shrug:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So MacOS Server is basically dead.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208312

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jesus, that's a brutal list of deprecations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
What's the best way to share an iCloud calendar but not show any information except the scheduled times? Like I wanna share my work calendar with someone outside of work but not show which clients I'm meeting.

We're both in the iCloud ecosystem but it seems the only solution is to use Google Calendar, which seems to have those options...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

What exactly is the use case for macOS Server anyway? Like, why would anybody not just spin up a generic *nix server for their server needs? I could see why Windows Server is a thing, but macOS being so close to BSD/Linux never made sense to me. It’s like if google decided to release an android server version.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Once upon a time they sold XServes for people who absolutely did not want to mess with Linux. I assume it stuck around mostly for app build farms? And the one thing it still does, managing enterprise deployments.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Commercial UNIX" was always an attractive proposition for companies that didn't want to touch Linux or FreeBSD because eeww, free ( = unsupported).

Also there are better and more efficient kernel architectures than Linux. But in tyool 2018 I imagine it's just too much of an uphill battle when the companies they would normally be selling servers to are just spinning up AWS/gcloud instances.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Data Graham posted:

"Commercial UNIX" was always an attractive proposition for companies that didn't want to touch Linux or FreeBSD because eeww, free ( = unsupported).

But RHEL has been a thing for 17 years now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Milkman posted:

Once upon a time they sold XServes for people who absolutely did not want to mess with Linux. I assume it stuck around mostly for app build farms? And the one thing it still does, managing enterprise deployments.

Someone find a picture of the heat-warped X serves

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

lol, just finished getting a server ready with images for all my companies new deployments. lmao

e: now i may have to look into this 'linux' business that all the kids are raving about.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 30, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Zwille posted:

What's the best way to share an iCloud calendar but not show any information except the scheduled times? Like I wanna share my work calendar with someone outside of work but not show which clients I'm meeting.

We're both in the iCloud ecosystem but it seems the only solution is to use Google Calendar, which seems to have those options...

iCloud doesn't seem to have permissions other than View/Edit or just View for published calendars. What you want is to publish a Free/Busy Calendar from Outlook or Google, optimally to WebDAV or something, and the recipient can then add it as a subscribed calendar (read-only). I can't think of a way to do this with your existing iCloud calendar, short of writing a script to regularly dump your calendar, strip it of details, and publish it to WebDAV. It'd be an interesting tool to build, very niche though.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Is anyone running High Sierra on a mid-2010 Mac Mini? I have had mine in storage for over a year now and am thinking of setting it back up for some light use but I'm not sure how far to upgrade macOS without getting it bogged down under all the new bells and whistles.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

runs okay on my 2010 macbook pro that I think has exactly the same hardware

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

carry on then posted:

runs okay on my 2010 macbook pro that I think has exactly the same hardware

Same.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Edit: You said 2010 Mac Mini, nvm

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok thanks, guess I'll give it a go.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Pivo posted:

iCloud doesn't seem to have permissions other than View/Edit or just View for published calendars. What you want is to publish a Free/Busy Calendar from Outlook or Google, optimally to WebDAV or something, and the recipient can then add it as a subscribed calendar (read-only). I can't think of a way to do this with your existing iCloud calendar, short of writing a script to regularly dump your calendar, strip it of details, and publish it to WebDAV. It'd be an interesting tool to build, very niche though.

Thanks! Guess I'll have to look into Google Calendar.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
Here's a problem I've yet to have any luck to solve:

OSX ML or SL one day a few years back lets my partner (let's call her H, for tha- ) switch to her user account, using her current login, no dramas - but as before she gets to the desktop it's treating her like a new user.
Enter Apple ID, want Cloud? No? Why NOT?? Bienvenido! Etc.!
Mostly photos, not a lot of other irreplaceable stuff, but stuff she'd like to get at again if she could was overwritten. Did I mention the Time Machine drive had taken a tumble and died a year before without anyone noticing until now? OK.

Enter Disk Drill. I had been running the free version (as in forgotten I installed it in Recover/Whatever mode). It pulled back a lot of files, and as the screen shot shows they appear to have relative amounts of data intact, due to the varying sizes of the JPEGs. Except they won't preview or open at all. 'File is incomplete and/or corrupt'. Opening as different file formats in Photoshop, placing in PS, Preview, Paint on Boot Camp - nothing will show their contents.
Seems there's a common line of code or something either tacked on or missing from all of these files. Ladies? Gentlemen?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So let me get this straight, because your post is hella confusing and full of unimportant details,

You’re trying to recover pictures of your girlfriend/boyfriend, which were deleted several years ago, and that computer has been in use?

Yeah you’re probably totally poo poo out of luck. If you had deleted these pictures like 20 minutes ago and that computer has been powered off the entire time then that’s a different story, but years?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Boris Galerkin posted:

What exactly is the use case for macOS Server anyway? Like, why would anybody not just spin up a generic *nix server for their server needs? I could see why Windows Server is a thing, but macOS being so close to BSD/Linux never made sense to me. It’s like if google decided to release an android server version.

The Apple device specific management/configuration items are basically all that's left. It really could be a fantastic product, I don't get why they want to dumpster it. :\

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Judging from the article where all they do is list alternatives for the services, it seems they'd rather farm out all the services to third parties rather than take on all the headaches from providing support for all those services themselves.

So if you want to run a server under MacOS, you have to buy Apple's lovely service package then maintain and bolt on everything else yourself. I know most companies would rather just hire any qualified RHEL / Microsoft engineer straight out of loving trade school and have them install on the cheapest hardware they can loving get away with.

If you want to run MacOS as a server now, you pretty much have to hire someone familiar will ALL of the technologies being replaced.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

Judging from the article where all they do is list alternatives for the services, it seems they'd rather farm out all the services to third parties rather than take on all the headaches from providing support for all those services themselves.

So if you want to run a server under MacOS, you have to buy Apple's lovely service package then maintain and bolt on everything else yourself. I know most companies would rather just hire any qualified RHEL / Microsoft engineer straight out of loving trade school and have them install on the cheapest hardware they can loving get away with.

If you want to run MacOS as a server now, you pretty much have to hire someone familiar will ALL of the technologies being replaced.

What about doing a service frontend model where people could create the backend server config that plugs up to the front end for management? Basically Apple Webmin, I guess....

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Even with all the zillions of dollars Apple has, they don't want to spend any (more) on a product that costs too much / is too complex to maintain/support and doesn't bring in poo poo.

macOS Server is exactly this kind of product.

Its days were numbered once they dropped Xserve; they were only in the server business because they for a little while, since their servers never really were in huge demand, then they stopped making them. At the same time they realized they didn't have to have total control over hardware / software in the servers area. MOSS literally became a zombie product after that.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 31, 2018

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

AlternateAccount posted:

The Apple device specific management/configuration items are basically all that's left. It really could be a fantastic product, I don't get why they want to dumpster it. :\

Rumor is that because jamf and others have much more robust support options for enterprise environments that apple doesnt see the benefit of developing stuff that won't lead to much use or profit.

e:

Binary Badger posted:

Its days were numbered once they dropped Xserve; they were only in the server business because they for a little while, since their servers never really were in huge demand, then they stopped making them. MOS was dead meat after that.

Basically this is just the next step in them getting out of the enterprise support side of things. I expect them to change how they interact with educational institutions in the next few years, and maybe either drop the server app altogether or fully integrate the features into os X

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 31, 2018

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

funmanguy posted:

Rumor is that because jamf and others have much more robust support options for enterprise environments that apple doesnt see the benefit of developing stuff that won't lead to much use or profit.

That makes sense, Jamf is so fuckin' good.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Hoooo boy, ok. I've got a question about running some hardware and I'm pretty the answer is "lol that not gonna work boi" but here we go. My mac is currently running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 for reference. I'm currently using SheepShaver to emulate Mac OS 9.0 to play old flight sims (Hornet, A-10, Hellcats). Now here is where you will start laughing at me, provided you didn't start when I said "play old flightsims". I have USB joystick that I have connected (ref Thrustmaster 1600m, which OSX will recognize) but it will not get recognized by my system 9 build. I know there's some programs that will assign keyboard commands to joystick axis like USB Overdrive but it the amount of assigning keys/axis for it will take quite a while so it's kind of my last resort option. I even went as far as to download the old Thrustmaster software to see if would recognize it, but of course it did not. I've downloaded the USB extensions for OS 9 but it doesn't seem to be working. I've heard that 9.2.2 has updated USB extensions that will allow it to read USB 2.0 ports but I'm unsure if the sheepshaver architecture has PCI/USB programmed into the emulator.

Is there anyway to get an OS9.x.x build to recognize a USB controller, or is there a possibility there is a piece of software that will convert USB input to ADB? Actual ADB to USB hardware is a no go as the controller is USB itself, and I'm not trying to plug a USB controller into an old powerPC or vice versa.

I hope this makes some sense.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Honestly at this point you might be better off just finding a vintage Mac to run 9.2.2 on, maybe an iMac?

Edit: Some other info https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9206

pzy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 31, 2018

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

AlternateAccount posted:

That makes sense, Jamf is so fuckin' good.

It totally is, one day i may get to use it, but for now i have to duct tape together a lot of free tools to try and fill the jamf shaped gap in my environment.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

pzy posted:

Honestly at this point you might be better off just finding a vintage Mac to run 9.2.2 on, maybe an iMac?

Edit: Some other info https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9206

This helps! Thanks!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So when you initiate screen sharing the sender has to accept a UI dialog on their end but what if I have a Mac at work or some other remote location and I want to remote into it? Seems like screen sharing doesn't support remote sign in. Is there no Apple native way to do remote desktop essentially?

e: lol I forgot Apple Remote Desktop....$80
e2: omg the app store reviews are terrible

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 1, 2018

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am working on a 15” MacBook Pro that I was given. I put a new battery and trackpad in it. I wiped the hard drive and installed High Sierra from scratch. Have not installed anything on it. Kernel_task is pegging the CPU nonstop. I did the nvram reset and reset the SMC and neither seemed to fix it. What would be the best next troubleshooting step?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Let it finish indexing

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pivo posted:

Let it finish indexing
Or doing a FileVault conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I’ll give it a couple days, but it’s slowing to the point that the mouse cursor is jittery and opening safari takes more than a minute. Never had one that bad before.