Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Cyks posted:

Only the president can say what we are all thinking. Or maybe they are both bad and should both be fired.

Even if you strip out the military aspect, it still reeks of classism. Sure there is some truth to what you said but there is also a difference between wording, whereas his is "Oh, you weren't a Goldman Sachs executive or a tenured professor at the age of 18? Lol what a piece of poo poo". Also telling your students that their family members are dumbfucks probably isn't the smartest career move.

Yeah, I agree with you on that. I had some poor choice of wording, too. I just tend to kneejerk against all "are trups the most bestest people" style jerking that is often given as lip service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
People who join the military are dumbasses.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

boop the snoot posted:

People who join the military are dumbasses.

Nah, not all. People joining up with no plan are.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It gave me my citizenship, got my wife her dream of living in Italy, and either I'll ride the 20 or if not, go to finish my college on Army's time.
If I don't get medboarded, but I'm feeling better.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No no no, you don't feel better. In fact you feel much worse. You should go get more tests done. And get documentation in triplicate.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

How about this plan?

Join the military.
GET SOME
KILL KILL KILL
Get all the chicks
ruck all day
drink all night
slip right down into a firefight
get out after a tour or two and get paid six figures to manage my uncle's warehouse

:smug: Yeah. I got a plan. :patriot:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

How about this plan?

Join the military.
GET SOME
KILL KILL KILL
Get all the chicks
ruck all day
drink all night
slip right down into a firefight
get out after a tour or two and get paid six figures to manage my uncle's warehouse

:smug: Yeah. I got a plan. :patriot:

Don't doxx me

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

Fair enough, but most of the people who join rarely have one. My plan was “join and it’ll help me get off drugs (pills) and get back to school.” It did both, but I still feel like it was a poor choice. Though as I get closer to graduation and farther away from my time in, I’ll probably say it’s a wash. Maybe when I’m balls deep in a good career I’ll say it was worth it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Fair enough, but most of the people who join rarely have one. My plan was “join and it’ll help me get off drugs (pills) and get back to school.” It did both, but I still feel like it was a poor choice. Though as I get closer to graduation and farther away from my time in, I’ll probably say it’s a wash. Maybe when I’m balls deep in a good career I’ll say it was worth it.

Mine was “gently caress this town, get money, get money for college, do 20 (that part didn’t happen) so I can get a pension (that did) at a young enough age to live an easy life 40 something on.”

I had nothing holding me down and getting out of that town was the best goddamn decision I ever made.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A baseline gallup from my platoon:

19yo male: joined because dad kept abusing him in blue ridge mountains.
19yo female, gay, faced homelessness.
27yo dash cunning nordic male, wanted citizenship and OCS
25yo female:, tired of applying to work. Lots of health issues with family.
22yo male:, wants to go to college with no debt, and get a master’s. Most likely will happen.
20yo male: wants to DEFEND AMERICA AND LOVE GOD, HATES MUSLIMS AND ALSO WOMEN SHOULDNT BE COMBAT ENGINEERSS. Gets told to shut the gently caress up by SGT, SSG, PSG, and the LT. Everyday.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Vahakyla posted:

22yo male:, wants to go to college with no debt, and get a master’s. Most likely will happen.
20yo male: wants to DEFEND AMERICA AND LOVE GOD, HATES MUSLIMS AND ALSO WOMEN SHOULDNT BE COMBAT ENGINEERSS. Gets told to shut the gently caress up by SGT, SSG, PSG, and the LT. Everyday.

Happy late 20th birthday, you broke dick.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even our racist-as-gently caress 1SG told the "hates muslims america hooah" guy to shut the gently caress up one day. We had this (actually informative, active, and fun) presentation on the origin of ISIL and America's Fuckup in the Middle East from 1990-Present (tm), and right after it was over SGT Turok ESPN McPepsi stood up as we were shuffling out of the room and spouted to nobody in particular "mumble mumble fix this problem just load some bacon Grease IN SOME BULLETS AND LIGHT 'EM UP HOOAH!"

It was the most awkward 5 seconds because we were literally on the way to an EO briefing, but our 1SG put him in his place pretty immediately which is funny because top is one of those guys where all of his clothes have flags on them and he drives a lifted Chevy truck with the RealTree camo wrap kit and is underwater on both his mortgage and his marriage, and who himself makes dogwhistle comments about race every other safety briefing.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Those guys are goddamn total reverse from Red Army political officers. Our guys are enlisted, loud and obnoxious, and strategically placed in every formation, unit, and platoon.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

Those guys are goddamn total reverse from Red Army political officers. Our guys are enlisted, loud and obnoxious, and strategically placed in every formation, unit, and platoon.

I usually don’t like to get all in your poo poo about your rose tinted glasses but there’s nothing strategic about anything that’s been done in your unit. If anything it was just dumb luck.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

Funny story, we get different results when some NCO or officer makes a soldier answer that for a slideshow.

Top answers were generally:

1. Be a part of something bigger than myself (One, they're all just saying that cause someone said it and it sounds banal and fine. Two, that's literally what you're doing if you're not living alone as a hermit.)
2. Provide for my family (a polite way of saying the first four or five above) This sometimes included a citizenship angle
3. Go to college (an honest answer, and a good one)
4. Serve my nation (See 1, but I guess govt specific)
5. Family was military, so here I am.
6. This is what Native Americans do.
7. Reading between lines: I got super hosed over or didn't make it in civilian life.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We had a guy say he did it because of call of duty and I’m pretty sure it was a ruse but he never changed his story as long as I knew him.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

We had a guy say he did it because of call of duty and I’m pretty sure it was a ruse but he never changed his story as long as I knew him.

No. I know a guy like that. Said he joined because the exhausted character looked like he worked hard and enjoyed it and he wanted to experience it too. Book smart, not so common sense wise.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I mean hell, noted person who never should've joined or been allowed to join SGT Berghdahl had delusions that the Army was just the Bourne movies/books. Some people join for some real rough reasons, and not just rough in the sense of escaping economic hardship, a hosed up family, or being bored.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Man I don't really know why I joined the Army. I guess I thought it would be cool? drat was I wrong.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

Man I don't really know why I joined the Army. I guess I thought it would be cool? drat was I wrong.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I didn't want to be a carpenter like my dad so that's what I ended up doing. It worked out mostly!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i was expelled from high school and figured i should pay my own way for college

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I wanted to shoot people

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's over Psydude, it's OVER

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBuvRk1thQ

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Someone more eloquent than me needs to rephrase that into a diatribe about pointless guard posts and ejaculating all over the walls of porta shitters in 125 degree heat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

As an officer it was more like Office Space with more ball sweat.

*Sitting in a fighting position with my 240 gunner while entire FOB is at REDCON 1 expecting an imminent VBIED attack*
*Roshan phone rings*

"Ell tee Psydude, you didn't submit your project status report or update your Gantt chart for yesterday. We need you to get that in ASAP so we can -" *CRAM goes off* "submit it up to battalion. When can you get that to us?"

I'm sure it was even dumber for people who actually did dangerous poo poo in Afghanistan.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Despite being so over the top this is still one of my favorite film scenes ever. Sly chews the hell out of the scenery.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I joined the Army, no poo poo reason here, because I thought it would a be a productive method of suicide. I mean, I did on some level feel other reasons, but mostly I figured I'd get war and death.
I wasn't totally wrong. I did get war and death, just thankfully not my own.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I joined because my parents gave me two choices: get a scholarship or pick a branch.

I should have joined the loving coast guard like my dad.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Carteret posted:

I joined because my parents gave me two choices: get a scholarship or pick a branch.

I should have joined the loving coast guard like my dad.

Why, so police and firefighters can hate you?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Joined up because all my buddies did., figured if they're gonna go do army poo poo I might as well too. Other reasons of course (wanting to serve, dad/grandpa were military etc) but yeah, probably wouldn't have joined if none of my friends had planned on it.

Plus I was really god drat stupid during High School so I figured I'll just join the military as a medic. But I was too stupid to be a medic (108 GT score, Required: 110) and ended up being a cav scout.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 1, 2018

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Wondering if anyone can answer this question for me before I raise hell.

So I just PCS OCONUS and got my travel pay. They did a split pay and paid off my GTC and I only got back $1100 for my one day of travel and DLA. Checked the travel voucher pay out sheet and apparently more than half my reimbursement went into paying for my wife and I’s flight to Hawaii. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought paying off the airline ticket was a separate reimbursement no?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I can't answer your questions, but I'm really impressed you weren't harassed into paying your GTC balance as soon as it had any balance by your losing unit and were able to wait for reimbursement to pay.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

poo poo DFAS is saying I never completed my move so now I owe 1600. Hahaha

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

psydude posted:

As an officer it was more like Office Space with more ball sweat.

*Sitting in a fighting position with my 240 gunner while entire FOB is at REDCON 1 expecting an imminent VBIED attack*
*Roshan phone rings*

"Ell tee Psydude, you didn't submit your project status report or update your Gantt chart for yesterday. We need you to get that in ASAP so we can -" *CRAM goes off* "submit it up to battalion. When can you get that to us?"

I'm sure it was even dumber for people who actually did dangerous poo poo in Afghanistan.

I didn't do dangerous poo poo nor am I a commissioned officer but we had the same bullshit in signal.

SGT Wasabi you're the technical controller for this issue, what's the update on that tertiary link not being up during South Sudanese civil war?

The ambassador specifically told our people to turn the generators the gently caress off since she could not hear the President on the phone.

Well, when do you think you can get that sorted out?

Iunno SPC gently caress nuts, did you want me to tell the State Department to gently caress off, or did you?

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
I joined because all my friends were going to be bankers/consultants and I wanted to do something that “made a difference” and my family fetishized the military despite having no real connection to it except Saving Private Ryan and being hella Republican. Jokes on them I guess since I’m now almost finished grad school and signed a contract to be a banker/consultant except my body is destroyed. Life comes at you fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I joined because all my friends were going to be bankers/consultants and I wanted to do something that “made a difference” and my family fetishized the military despite having no real connection to it except Saving Private Ryan and being hella Republican. Jokes on them I guess since I’m now almost finished grad school and signed a contract to be a banker/consultant except my body is destroyed. Life comes at you fast.

When I get my first job after i graduate, there is a high likelihood (based on industry trends) that I will immediately be the highest paid member in my family. And for some reason, that really, really pisses off a few relatives. And I fuckin love it.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 4, 2018