Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nilbop posted:

Aaron’s entire run (including Jane as Thor) has been totally amazing, but Marvel needs to stop with the “inherit the mantle” poo poo. That works with Captain America, it doesn’t work with Thor - that is just the dude’s first name. And it’s still a common name!

Except the original loving comics were about some normal rear end doctor rear end in a top hat getting the powers of thor. That's why the hammer says Whosoever Holds This Hammer will receive the Might Of Thor, or whatever. It's explicitly ABOUT other people taking on the mantle/abilities/name of Thor.

Read a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Except the original loving comics were about some normal rear end doctor rear end in a top hat getting the powers of thor. That's why the hammer says Whosoever Holds This Hammer will receive the Might Of Thor, or whatever. It's explicitly ABOUT other people taking on the mantle/abilities/name of Thor.

Read a book.

Donald Blake was an alias you absolute twit. Next time actually know what you’re talking about.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Donald Blake's whole deal has been retconned and rewritten multiple times to such a degree that I can't imagine anyone saying for certainty what he is much less iinsulting someone over it

For the record the most recent take was that he was a person created by Odin to be Thor's host, not an alias.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, I know we say or think this every other week, but the boys really fell apart in the last ten minutes of (Bully part 23). I love their actually-inane rambles.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'm watching Bully part 22 and if anyone is curious Fake Canada was really big in American movies back in the black and white days. Pierre Berton's novel Hollywood's Canada is a great book about it.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I love inherit the mantle poo poo. Let characters retire and new stories take over. Keeping the same characters is just more obsession with nostalgia that doesn't go anywhere interesting. And that nonsense is why Jane's dying in a month and Miles probably gonna be renamed "Spy-D."

Kamala's probably safe as Ms. Marvel though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

Donald Blake's whole deal has been retconned and rewritten multiple times to such a degree that I can't imagine anyone saying for certainty what he is much less iinsulting someone over it

For the record the most recent take was that he was a person created by Odin to be Thor's host, not an alias.

Yeah there's been a lot of stuff where Blake wasn't just a Human Costume and a separate entity that let though use as a conduit for his power and stuff that focused on Blake even after thor was a real boy all by himself. Plus there's Throg, and Thorse, being mad about other people just using thor's powers and looks seems like a really hollow complaint since it's happened a lot in the past and it's just not a good look when the woman as Thor is where you draw the line.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nerdman42 posted:

I love inherit the mantle poo poo. Let characters retire and new stories take over. Keeping the same characters is just more obsession with nostalgia that doesn't go anywhere interesting. And that nonsense is why Jane's dying in a month and Miles probably gonna be renamed "Spy-D."

Yeah though Carol certainly isn't safe.

The name Captain Marvel might as well be a low rent hooker at this point. Even if you ignore Shazam and all that bullshit

Hell she's not even the most progressive character to get the goddamn title. We had a black lady Captain Marvel back in the 80s.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

Yeah though Carol certainly isn't safe.

The name Captain Marvel might as well be a low rent hooker at this point. Even if you ignore Shazam and all that bullshit

Hell she's not even the most progressive character to get the goddamn title. We had a black lady Captain Marvel back in the 80s.

She led the Avengers once too. Honestly, Kamala should've been a fan of Monica instead of Carol.

The funny thing to me about Monica Rambeau is that people keep trying to give her different titles like Spectrum and Photon, trying to make her a big deal again (I wish), but no name will be as cool as Monica Rambeau.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
How can anyone be mad about lady Thor with the billions of silly rear end things that happen in comics. Isn't one of Deadpools powers just breaking the 4th wall?

I don't dislike super heroes but come on there's all kinds of dumb poo poo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

Seriously. Some of the best dc comics were when they were willing to shake things up and have new characters take the mantle of flash, green lantern and other heroes. It showed progress and character growth and allowed for new and interesting stories.

But DC later went "lol nope" and reverted them back to the old boring characters. At least they are sort of trying it again with the new rebirth stuff.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 30, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Monaghan posted:

Seriously. Some of the best dc comics were when they were willing to shake things up and have new characters take the mantle of flash, green lantern and other heroes. It showed progress and character growth and allowed for new and interesting stories.

But DC later went "lol nope" and revered them back to the old boring characters. At least they are sort of trying it again with the new rebirth stuff.

Be fair here

That wasn't DC that did that

That was Geoff Jons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
DC and Marvel are back in the 90s cycle of constant relaunches and events that bleed readers like crazy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I am totally gettingg into this Littlest Hobo hypetrain. Skimmed through the series finale, Pandora, and i'm gonna loving see what the hell "Dragonslayer" is.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

DC and Marvel are back in the 90s cycle of constant relaunches and events that bleed readers like crazy.

I know some idiots have tried to blame marvel for "SJW pandering" even though most retailers are basically screaming at marvel to stop relaunching everything, having constant events and putting out so many books.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 30, 2018

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Monaghan posted:

I know some idiots have tried to blame marvel for "SJW pandering" even though most retailers are basically screaming at marvel to stop relaunching everything, having constant events and putting out so many books.

Here's a thread about it actually

Is it just me or is DC and Marvel in a constant pendulum of good/bad comics? They both can't be good at the same time and its real weird.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 31, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Monaghan posted:

Also the "SJW" comics are frequently the best sellers!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The start of this week's podcast is the most Canadian they've ever been.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Paige is streaming! Beyond 2 Souls.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh lord, has Paige ever played it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Why the gently caress would Pat subject her to that? :stare:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TaurusOxford posted:

Why the gently caress would Pat subject her to that? :stare:

Paige has been bugging Pat for this a long time. She originally wanted to do Omikron before Pat said noooooooooo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if the game will infuriate Paige so much that her face gets redder than her hair.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Chris-chan gave Paige an empty can of Sonic energy drink.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

PATRICK LIKES TO SLAP HIS BALLSACK AGAINST HIS THIGH TO ANNOY PAIGE???

Pat is having a mini emotional breakdown bc paige dropped a ball of elmos fur on the floor

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 31, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Monaghan posted:

It really doesn’t help that some of the writing on those so labeled books are just pure unmitigated bum. If you can make “Iron Man’s protégé goes into the future and meets him as a future space wizard dictator” boring. Then there is something going horribly wrong.

Editorial seems to have up and hosed off too. America (Chavez) has had a number if obvious joke letters comparing the book to The Room (which isn’t an unfair assessment but that’s besides the point) and I’ve seen all sorts of weird issues (typos, word balloons not completely filled in) in the second series of Ms. Marvel (having really enjoyed the first one) that could have easily been caught by someone doing a pass through.

And then there’s the writers’ egos all spilling out on social media. I’m no HR scion but if someone under my employ posted even half of the poo poo Slott and Rivera (amongst others) have they wouldn’t just be fired, they’d be the type of fired that has them immediately marched off the premises amd their things mailed 2nd class in jiffy bags.

Makes it easy to pass over the new Marvel books on the way to Supersons, the IDW comics and manga is all I’m saying.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just read Gwenpool and Squirrel Girl, those are fun books that stand by themselves. If I learned anything about comics is that reading stuff that ties into the newest mega-saga is stupid. Super Sons is good too.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I really want to like Squirrel Girl's comic, but that art is really hard to deal with.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

I really want to like Squirrel Girl's comic, but that art is really hard to deal with.

I like the art, it's goofy so it fits the tone of the comic. It's a complaint I never got, no matter how many "comebacks" I saw on BSS with a dumb face panel that seem to miss the point, hehe. But I understand not getting into it because the style looks bad to you - hi Dillon, what up, I have to read Hitman now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

:same:

Dias posted:

I just read Gwenpool and Squirrel Girl, those are fun books that stand by themselves. If I learned anything about comics is that reading stuff that ties into the newest mega-saga is stupid. Super Sons is good too.

I’d be happy to leave it at that but vol 2 of the current run of Ms Marvel is called “Civil War 2” which kinda leaves me up the creak and facing down a whole lot of idiot Carol Danvers.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 31, 2018

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its kind of astonishing how being part of one event basically sucked the joy out of Ms Marvel for half a year. Its only recently found its footing again.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nerdman42 posted:

Its kind of astonishing how being part of one event basically sucked the joy out of Ms Marvel for half a year. Its only recently found its footing again.
Turns out ironicaly making the fan favorite muslim character part of a scheme to make precog gitmo as devised by Carol Danvers was a bad idea who could have guessed?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

Civil war 2 is probably one of if not the worst marvel event and considering the quality of other marvel events that's loving saying something.

It's a real shame because the event before it was incredible.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

But don't you just love Captain Marvel now?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cape comics in the thread and frame data on the podcast, a true rock v hard place

E: this is a loving Woolie Quotes goldmine, especially the Palico whining segment

"It'd be better if it stayed Nya"

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 1, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Turns out ironicaly making the fan favorite muslim character part of a scheme to make precog gitmo as devised by Carol Danvers was a bad idea who could have guessed?

What the hell have they done to Kamala when I wasn't looking.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The best part of the podcast is Pat telling Woolie he'll never achieve his garbage aesthetic in Monster Hunter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There should be a doggo option tho, woolie is right on that front

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Cape comics in the thread and frame data on the podcast, a true rock v hard place

Here, lemme try to bridge the gap

Ultra Instinct Punisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

What the hell have they done to Kamala when I wasn't looking.

In not so many words Inhuman with Precog stand shows up. Carol, stupid fuckup she is, goes “yeah, we should totally use this guy to jail people before they commit crimes”.

Iron Man, having been on that rodeo ten years prior, knows better and thus Idiot War 2 begins.

Kamala gets dragged into Fuckup’s side of the war and ends up with her friend blowing himself up in a botched attempt to bomb Precog Gitmo which she was in charge of in a moment I swear everyone at Marvel thought was super clever but given the target demo, really isn’t.

Then Kamala, sick of Carol’s and everyone’s poo poo (Which lead to Banner’s assassination by (a) Hawkeye) forms the champions who go on to be in a middling at best facsimile of the Teen Titans who do absolutely nothing of import during SE.

Rhonne posted:

But don't you just love Captain Marvel now?

Nope.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 1, 2018