Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Put beacons at every landmark - carry a couple with you at all times to enable this. That and having the compass will make your life much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I feel like I'm pretty solidly in mid-game territory, but I'm running out of things to do; I have a seamoth with a maxed out depth mod, my prawn is starting to get up to snuff, and I just finished the cyclops. Thing is, I really don't have any goals at this point; should I just start searching around with my seamoth until I find something too deep for it, then start migrating the cyclops and some base-building parts in that direction?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

John Charity Spring posted:

Put beacons at every landmark - carry a couple with you at all times to enable this. That and having the compass will make your life much easier.

I built a compass right away this time and, uh... don't think I've used it once yet, hahah. So long as you're being good about beacons it doesn't add much value!

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
My personal newbie tip is build a base ASAP. I don't mean like a majestic masterpiece, just a metal tube will do. Build lockers to store your poo poo and it will be much easier to manage your inventory. Nothing worse than having a full inventory early on.

I also hate floating lockers.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Robiben posted:

My personal newbie tip is build a base ASAP. I don't mean like a majestic masterpiece, just a metal tube will do. Build lockers to store your poo poo and it will be much easier to manage your inventory. Nothing worse than having a full inventory early on.

I also hate floating lockers.

I wish I knew this before I had 12 floating lockers. But I do have a base now.

John Charity Spring posted:

I found beacon blueprint, but failed to save afterward and haven't seen them again yet :c. I have a stasis rifle, but no beacons, heh.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

How do you access the bottom section of this wreck (#2 according to wiki)

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Go in from the breach on the upper middle left of that pic and look for a vent.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

pokie posted:

I found beacon blueprint, but failed to save afterward and haven't seen them again yet :c. I have a stasis rifle, but no beacons, heh.

Beacons are, like, all around the starting lifepod.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

gnoma posted:

Go in from the breach on the upper middle left of that pic and look for a vent.

You have to repair a door to get it open. There's soooo much loot in that wreck.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It's got a lot of lockers on the bottom deck, and you can fit a growbed and a fabricator in it.

That's about it, really. It doesn't add much else over just the prawn suit with a few upgrades. Oh and it's destroyable.

The best thing I've found to do with it is line an entire side of the prawn/seamoth bay with full storage shelves. You can fit something like 4-5 in a row. This makes it great for bulk storage.

Personally, I use it to transport a scanner room round to areas I want to base in; and also just a fuckton of titanium - I realized early on that if I ever wanted to set up a base somewher else, it was going to take a lot of titanium/glass and i think I ended up stuffing a few lockers full of raw scrap to pull out as needed.

Keep the parts for a base and you can just set up pretty quickly.

pokie posted:

Any good newbie tips, folks?

Seamoth with cargo mods makes a surprisingly good luggage-mover. You can throw a few beacons/batteries/food in there. A depth module and 3 cargo is cheap and easy early on.

you can get a depth module, a cargo module, and some luggage out of the aurora. if you want you can shove the luggage inside itself for space compacting

Alien containment lets you breed fish, whether that be for food or water, and can stack 2 high if you put rooms atop each other - just be careful its finicky about combining if there's other 'attachments' before you're done'.

Last I checked, empty batteries combine to a fully charged power cell when fabbed. Early on, this can be a way to save power when you're just seamoth and seaglide.

The thing I wish I knew starting out: Sandsharks can be diverted with flares. Bonesharks too, apparently. You need a vehicle modification console(which goes in the moonpool to create new mods - you only need the regular modification station to upgrade them if you get them already. Gravspheres are really useful. Propulsion cannon helps a ton with going fish-hunting.

and apparently a recent addition is being able to temporarily tame hungry predators by feeding their mouths fish. Swimming with bait can save you grief

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I finished my moonpool, mod station and vehicle mod station and I’m feeling great about it. I need to go back to mountain island to farm up some lithium and magnetite, but otherwise I’m pretty well off materials wise. I also upgraded my knife, fins and dive suit. Right now the next big step is get lots of ruby but I am pathetically terrified of anywhere Reapers or other leviathans swim and so have not gotten any yet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm still very glad the heat knife (and knives in general) don't have durability meters anymore.

The Ultra glide fins are also surprisingly useful if you have come to realize 90% of your battery usage is using the seaglide. I've ended up needing to stuff batteries in the charger less often thanks to those things than when using the charge fins.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Check at floating islands for rubies, inside the cave systems. I don't think any leviathans hang out there, just bonesharks.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

pokie posted:

I wish I knew this before I had 12 floating lockers. But I do have a base now.

You can scan a bunch of cosmetic furniture for your base but if you scan a trashcan you can use it to dispose of anything you don't want. Handy for getting rid of crap you don't need and don't want to just leave floating in the water.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Can anyone help me find where the Prawn grapple arm fragments are? I've taken to just using the wiki and coordinates to find wrecks since it's getting super tedious just getting some basic kit. I've gone to the two wrecks that the wiki says should have grapple arm fragments and I've found nothing but drill arms. Are they both found here, or is the wiki wrong?

Thanks!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Folks, I can't find good up-to-date location for the aerogel components. I have rubies, but have not seen any gel sacks - I looked in mushroom forest caves, some trench near Aurora people hyped up, and Jellyshroom forest.

Robiben posted:

You can scan a bunch of cosmetic furniture for your base but if you scan a trashcan you can use it to dispose of anything you don't want. Handy for getting rid of crap you don't need and don't want to just leave floating in the water.

Thanks! I did scan it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I finished my moonpool, mod station and vehicle mod station and I’m feeling great about it. I need to go back to mountain island to farm up some lithium and magnetite, but otherwise I’m pretty well off materials wise. I also upgraded my knife, fins and dive suit. Right now the next big step is get lots of ruby but I am pathetically terrified of anywhere Reapers or other leviathans swim and so have not gotten any yet.

Try directly under the floating island.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DrBox posted:

Can anyone help me find where the Prawn grapple arm fragments are? I've taken to just using the wiki and coordinates to find wrecks since it's getting super tedious just getting some basic kit. I've gone to the two wrecks that the wiki says should have grapple arm fragments and I've found nothing but drill arms. Are they both found here, or is the wiki wrong?

Thanks!
If you're at the point of using the wiki and combing over the known spawn locations, generally at that point it's praying to RNJesus and trying until you stumble across a pile of five of them all next to eachother in the dirt somewhere.

Have you tried the Dunes yet? That's often a place it's easy to forget exists.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Section Z posted:

If you're at the point of using the wiki and combing over the known spawn locations, generally at that point it's praying to RNJesus and trying until you stumble across a pile of five of them all next to eachother in the dirt somewhere.

Have you tried the Dunes yet? That's often a place it's easy to forget exists.

I'll try there now. Thanks!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DrBox posted:

I'll try there now. Thanks!
In hindsight, double checking the wiki doesn't list the grapple parts there. But hey, maybe you'll find other stuff you are missing in the meantime if they don't turn up. The Cyclops shield generator is a big deal if you don't have that yet.

I'm just very used to "Oh right, Dunes are a thing" as a recurring theme.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 31, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Also try around -800,-280,-860 - it's a nice canyon system with plenty of resources, including rubies.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So wait, I can mod the Seamoth to have solar panels but not the Cyclops? That's dumb as hell, good thing the Seamoth is so badass.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Section Z posted:

In hindsight, double checking the wiki doesn't list the grapple parts there. But hey, maybe you'll find other stuff you are missing in the meantime if they don't turn up. The Cyclops shield generator is a big deal if you don't have that yet.

I'm just very used to "Oh right, Dunes are a thing" as a recurring theme.

Yeah Dunes was a bust. Considering I found 6 drill arms where the wiki says I should be finding grapple, maybe it's bugged. Super frustrating. I guess I'll just go through the tedious process of building scanner rooms everywhere and search for fragments.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

pokie posted:

Folks, I can't find good up-to-date location for the aerogel components. I have rubies, but have not seen any gel sacks - I looked in mushroom forest caves, some trench near Aurora people hyped up, and Jellyshroom forest.

Go to the Northwestern Mushroom Forest, there is a giant mushroom tree in the middle that is impossible to miss. Around the base are 5ish gel sacks. I grabbed those and just set up an external plant bed at my base to farm them for the future.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait I can set up a grow bed outside my habitat?

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
There are Interior and Exterior Growbeds, yeah. Works for certain plants. Right now I'm growing gel sacks and deep shrooms plus some Chinese potatoes.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think I'm going to rebuild my habitat so it's above the water surface, and like put the moonpool underneath it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

pokie posted:

I found a bunch in the Blood Kelp Trench, but you really only need a single one - hit it with a knife repeatedly and you'll receive gel sack spores, each one will grow a new gel sack when put in an external planter. Bam, infinite gel sacks forever.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I dunno if I missed anything but I haven't found a single cyclops piece yet. I just built the prawn suit, and my seamoth is upgraded to mk 3 depth. Is this normal? it seems weird. Also the prawn suit is insanely slow so I'm guessing I need the cyclops to move it around.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
You don't need it if you build your base in the right areas. That said, it depends on where you've explored; there can be a lot of cyclops pieces around the aurora and in mushroom forest.

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016
So I found a door that requires a blue alien key, but I have absolutely no clue where to even begin looking.

Does the game give you a clue where to go next? I haven't gotten a radio signal in like 5 hours.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Numberwang posted:

So I found a door that requires a blue alien key, but I have absolutely no clue where to even begin looking.

Does the game give you a clue where to go next? I haven't gotten a radio signal in like 5 hours.
Unless you did go into the thermal plant already, you drove past where the game has the blue keycard. Which seems to be a problem with "Oh I was supposed to get out of my cyclops to get in that thing?" the Lava castle seems to be of late.

Also as a heads up, there is only one key, for two doors. You gotta craft up the second one.

There have been times in the game the thermal plant got a radio signal, and times where it's been deliberately removed. So I'm not in a good spot to judge "IS there a signal for it anymore?" due to how many habitual sequence breaks I make.

On that note, I've seen player claims elsewhere that lifepod 6 for example no longer having a signal when you get it's radio message is on purpose, not a bug. But who loving knows these days. Maybe it's a bug, maybe the devs felt an ultra glide fins databox is worth having to rely on vague text hints unlike other lifepods.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 31, 2018

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Omi no Kami posted:

I feel like I'm pretty solidly in mid-game territory, but I'm running out of things to do; I have a seamoth with a maxed out depth mod, my prawn is starting to get up to snuff, and I just finished the cyclops. Thing is, I really don't have any goals at this point; should I just start searching around with my seamoth until I find something too deep for it, then start migrating the cyclops and some base-building parts in that direction?

Lifepod 2.

You get the lifepod 2 signal from the radio, and it's the one bit the game doesn't telegraph properly. There's a looot of exploring left to do, and all of it is closest to lifepod 2 out of any location you can mark. The various island bits tell you what to look for.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

Section Z posted:

On that note, I've seen player claims elsewhere that lifepod 6 for example no longer having a signal when you get it's radio message is on purpose, not a bug.

Some of the messages come in corrupted or something now and give you a data entry with a picture that hints at the location instead of a signal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

gnoma posted:

Some of the messages come in corrupted or something now and give you a data entry with a picture that hints at the location instead of a signal.
That's a neat touch, I'm just so used to so many things legitimately bugging out while being told "That's intentional!" over the development that it's just hard for me to tell the difference anymore when things go missing is bug or design.

Take the thermomoter chip for example. When it was pulled way back, a lot of people thought it was a bug. But no, it was removed from the list on purpose. Now at launch there's a lot of confused people trying to craft it, because it's on the in game blueprints list despite that. And I think to myself "...Wait, didn't they at least remove it from the crafting list back when? Why is it still on the list months later if we're not supposed to have it?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 31, 2018

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016

Section Z posted:

Unless you did go into the thermal plant already, you drove past where the game has the blue keycard. Which seems to be a problem with "Oh I was supposed to get out of my cyclops to get in that thing?" the Lava castle seems to be of late.

So starting at lifepod 2, I enter the huge cavern. I hug the left and eventually hit an alien base (if you keep going you reach the lava pit). Is the blue key inside here? Because I thought I cleared the place out.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

There are two lava areas. One is mostly hardened lava and is two corridors leading into a big cave and in the middle of the cave is a big lava hill with spire things on it and there are two alien doorways that lead inside. That's where you get the blue key. The second lava area is below the first and is mostly a big molten lava lake and you use the blue key (you actually need 2) there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Numberwang posted:

So starting at lifepod 2, I enter the huge cavern. I hug the left and eventually hit an alien base (if you keep going you reach the lava pit). Is the blue key inside here? Because I thought I cleared the place out.
I recall walking right past the room inside that had the keycard in the past for some reason. But that said, I'm talking about the base inside the lava castle, the base itself is suspended over it's own pool of lava.

Did you circle around to the huge dead end cavern with the disease research facility instead? Because that's down in the lost river biome in it's own huge cavern.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
One thing I have discovered is that building your base on the mountain island kind of sucks a lot. There are warpers everywhere, it's not really convenient to anywhere, and the only stuff you can really find locally is lithium and some urainite. And bulbo trees I guess.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Story-wise, what's the next step after exploring the Disease Research Facility in the Lost River? I've got the scan from the QEP earlier telling me about the other facilities and their approximate depths, are you just meant to poke around until you stumble upon the next one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Koba posted:

Story-wise, what's the next step after exploring the Disease Research Facility in the Lost River? I've got the scan from the QEP earlier telling me about the other facilities and their approximate depths, are you just meant to poke around until you stumble upon the next one?

Continue to go deeper in the Lost River Caves. You are supposed to suss this out by reading the PDA entries, but it can be kinda convoluted.