Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Oldstench posted:

I skimmed over the name and at the end of the paragraph said to myself, "I bet he's Finnish".

Yeah thats like the john smith of finnish names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Wow you guys don't know Ovuca???

Also alternative tunings are awesome, everyone should just gently caress off of 12ET for a while

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I know ovuca and astrobotnia Since like 2001 but then again he's a local guy, used to live practically next door to me

Brothomstates is good too, another finn on rephlex

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 30, 2018

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah thats like the john smith of finnish names

I meant I didn't read the name, but the weird poo poo in the rest of the paragraph triggered my Finndar.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuT6Y53LYH4

relevant

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

toadee posted:

Wow you guys don't know Ovuca???

Also alternative tunings are awesome, everyone should just gently caress off of 12ET for a while

I have nothing against alternate tunings, tonality etc. but for a lot of people it's akin to getting the world record for juggling spatulas while standing on one foot while balancing precisely three walnuts on your shoulder; they picked a category to be the best by default. The people who do it well commit to it and try to mine it to the core; the rest are there to say "oh, you use equal temperament, how limiting :smug:" while they basically noodle on whatever expensive toy they custom tuned and declare the rest of us unable to understand it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Tuning the oscillators?

Do I look like I play keyboard?? :birddrugs:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

stillvisions posted:

I have nothing against alternate tunings, tonality etc. but for a lot of people it's akin to getting the world record for juggling spatulas while standing on one foot while balancing precisely three walnuts on your shoulder; they picked a category to be the best by default. The people who do it well commit to it and try to mine it to the core; the rest are there to say "oh, you use equal temperament, how limiting :smug:" while they basically noodle on whatever expensive toy they custom tuned and declare the rest of us unable to understand it.

or they just buy a fiddle :eng101:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Everyone in this thread knows that the best way to make music is create a computer algorithm and just let it figure out the rest.

Failing that, take random tape samples, physically cut them up, then physically tape them together through random die rolls, like they did it in the REAL electronic days of the '30s.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Drone every voice available simultaneously, drench it in delay/reverb, and layer anime samples on top. Open up a patreon once you get to 50k subs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you won't have to worry about tunings and tonality if all your work is done in the sub/ultrasonic frequencies

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Your Computer posted:

you won't have to worry about tunings and tonality if all your work is done in the sub/ultrasonic frequencies

lol to bring it full circle i have really been wanting to work with just intonation thru the time/frequency barrier to come up with rhythms that are in tune with the notes played in the rhythm

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
https://youtu.be/7rBhv-Wg-Kw

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

It's so good it's almost unlistenable.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Richard yet again proving that microtonal stuff is great: 180db_ [130] - no youtube link so get on spotify ya chumps

https://open.spotify.com/track/2VfEcR59Czu8ii3u6kKeP8

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

why not just get a steel 🧐

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Your Computer posted:

you won't have to worry about tunings and tonality if all your work is done in the sub/ultrasonic frequencies you only buy more gear.

FTFY

EDIT: Ok, legitimate question, and I don't know where else to ask this. I've always noticed that videogame music and sound effects sound similar between games from the same developer, even when there were different composers. Why is this? Did each company's sound department have presets for certain things? I'll give you a few examples...

Kemco:
Compare the music for Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle to a lot of the tunes from the ICOM trilogy (Uninvited, Shadowgate, Deja Vu). Those little musical quirks are the same throughout. (EDIT: Ok, so those were all the same composer, so maybe this one doesn't count)

Konami:
Compare the Castlevania games (both music and SFX) to those found not only in other Konami games like Metal Gear, but also the Ultra games, like Base Wars and TMNT 1, 2, and 3. Obviously, they all share the same pause button jingle, but I'm referring more to gunshots, explosions, item pickups.

Capcom:
All of the Disney games sound similar, and then on top of that, they all sort of sound similar to the Mega Man games (after 1, since that one seemed really primitive, musically. Good, but simpler). The moon theme could have been the credits song for any given Mega Man game, really.

Nintendo:
Man, does Punch-Out sound like it could have been Zelda 2, and vice-versa. Sure, the musical themes are different, but the voicing is all the same. The music during the bike training montage could have easily fit in as some sort of end-of-game fight sequence for Zelda 2.

HAL (yes, technically Nintendo, still):
Kirby's Adventure sounds a LOT like the Lolo games. Also, I found when playing New Ghostbusters 2 (also made by them), the music and sound effects sounded very similar to both the Kirby and Lolo franchises.

Another question I have is does anyone know if there's a video or article describing this? I swear I saw one on FB, Youtube, or linked on Reddit a couple years ago, but I never got around to watching it, and can't find it now. :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 31, 2018

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

One is that they probably had the same in house composer writing music for many different games, and two is that the game systems of that era had internal synths/sound sets, so the range of sounds you were going to get was quite limited anyway.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I'm sure it was just cost effective to use the same sound assets for multiple games.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Most composers for those games were badly paid, incredibly short on time and using awful tools. People also worked from the same tools so people worked from presets a lot of the time. Sound design was a massive luxury - it wasn't like we had now, really expressive super synths. You had horrible interfaces written without any consideration for a composer. Most of the time you took your four channels and did the best you could.

Of course, some people broke the mould - cf. Plok soundtrack + many more. But mainly, you were just tight on everything - time, money and tools.

Check out this amazing video about how they made Genesis music back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvnZRCW_qc

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

FTFY

EDIT: Ok, legitimate question, and I don't know where else to ask this. I've always noticed that videogame music and sound effects sound similar between games from the same developer, even when there were different composers. Why is this? Did each company's sound department have presets for certain things? I'll give you a few examples...

Coding video game music in the limited memory of the NES (or even C64) is not easy. It's not just writing music; you're writing instructions for the CPU or for the SID chip.

Read http://rga24.blogspot.nl/2012/01/interview-with-tim-follin.html

In my search results I also saw a few YT videos, perhaps those are the ones you're thinking of?

This is the guy behind Solstice on the NES and he's written lots of C64 music as well - and the NES Solstice soundtrack sounds so much like it was written for the C64 that it's not even funny anymore; virtually no other NES game sounds like it.

At a certain point you discover a cliche that works for you, like audio-rate modulation of waveforms, or using little arpeggio tricks like letting the note jump an octave down, ringmodulation, limited FM, adding noise attacks to notes to give them more emphasis or faking transients, stuff like that. It expands your instrument palette from simple saw and squares to something more.

A drum sound is just a set of instructions - a program by itself - that instructs the oscillator to play at a low pitch that descends at an exponential pace. Perhaps some noise to fake a transient. You gather these, collect these, and they become part of your orchestration.

"Oh, you guys need a timpani? I wrote something like that half a year ago for a different game, let me see if it's in my notes". That's your preset right there.

For giggles, you might build some drum sounds from scratch and elementary particles. Then it's a matter of copy-pasting that piece of code in the right spot in the sequence.

Since the people responsible for the soundtracks worked alone most of the time, each developed their own idiosyncratic style, copying and learning from others when possible, but apparently respecting eachother enough to avoid certain cliches.

All sample-based consoles had samples, so you'd have an in-house composer trying to cram the glorious tones of say, a Korg M1 in the tiny memory of the SNES or the roomier space of an N64, and once you did that, you were going to reuse that effort over and over again, of course. Which is why Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 have these marimba sounds everywhere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^^ Thanks for this, and everyone else's response. Totally makes sense now.

I figured it was either per composer or per developer presets, but man, I really want to find that video again.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 31, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean back in those days you couldn't just use any old recording, the code for the chiptune systems and the samples for the sample-based systems had to be specially crafted and you couldn't just google a soundfont. I assume most developers basically had their own "sample libraries" that their composers could use.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

EDIT: ^^^ Thanks for this, and everyone else's response. Totally makes sense now.

I figured it was either per composer or per developer presets, but man, I really want to find that video again.

This is a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3d1x2VPxk

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I kind of wish that there were more unheard NES games from these companies, because I'd love to play a 'listen to this track you've never heard, guess the developer'. I feel like I'd have a pretty good shot at getting them all (or almost all) correct. I immediately hear 'echo'd square lead' with Kemco, for example, and anyone listening to the Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle or ICOM games will hear the same. I actually love that this happened, I don't want anyone to think that I feel it's a negative thing in my mind. It's oddly charming.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Since videogame music has been in the discussion this got posted recently and a) it's pretty nice harmonic ideas for future work and b) it's about Disasterpeace who does some pretty nice work (Hyper Light Drifter and It Follows being two of them he's known for).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkAl3It8sEQ

I've been meaning to sit down with actual sheet music paper and try writing stuff that way again. This seems like one good approach to try with that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

stillvisions posted:

Since videogame music has been in the discussion this got posted recently and a) it's pretty nice harmonic ideas for future work and b) it's about Disasterpeace who does some pretty nice work (Hyper Light Drifter and It Follows being two of them he's known for).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkAl3It8sEQ

I've been meaning to sit down with actual sheet music paper and try writing stuff that way again. This seems like one good approach to try with that.

Thanks for this! And while we're discussing Disasterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH04VJ8jxvo

I was able to recreate this in Serum and it sounds so good.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Fun fact, I asked Disasterpeace about what synths he used for various stuff and if I recall correctly he said about 80% of what you hear in It Follows is just straight up Massive with very little processing, so it's definitely a workhorse for him. Really nice guy, too. I wish I could have seen his talk at Gamer's Rhapsody, I was working about a half a mile away at the time.

Edit: also I loving love chiptune stuff and have spent a lot of time monkeying around with it, though I'm not terribly good at it. Thought about starting a chiptune thread but I wasn't sure if there would be much interest in it. But if anybody ever wants to talk chiptunes, feel free to PM me or whatever.

Another fun fact, if you want instant SNES-era Final Fantasy sounds, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the samples were pulled from the Roland SC-55.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 31, 2018

content
Feb 13, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Fun fact, I asked Disasterpeace about what synths he used for various stuff and if I recall correctly he said about 80% of what you hear in It Follows is just straight up Massive with very little processing, so it's definitely a workhorse for him. Really nice guy, too. I wish I could have seen his talk at Gamer's Rhapsody, I was working about a half a mile away at the time.

Edit: also I loving love chiptune stuff and have spent a lot of time monkeying around with it, though I'm not terribly good at it. Thought about starting a chiptune thread but I wasn't sure if there would be much interest in it. But if anybody ever wants to talk chiptunes, feel free to PM me or whatever.

Another fun fact, if you want instant SNES-era Final Fantasy sounds, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the samples were pulled from the Roland SC-55.

I love old game music, but just couldn't get into chiptune. I bought LSDJ, which is a ton of fun, if not a bit baroque. I think I just want to score games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd be down for a chiptune thread. One thing for me is that I'm no good with tracker programs, and really don't see the point in forcing yourself through that sort of workflow if it's counter-intuitive to what you're used to. Obviously, back then, that's what HAD to happen, or even worse if it required direct programming. I realize that Koji Kondo wasn't composing directly with a tool like this, and it was more like transcribing his written music to something like this, but honestly with the technology I (and we all) have access to, I just make my plugins sound retro, and go to it.

Shameless self-promotion of a free thing I did, but I have an "8-bit-inspired" album I made almost 10 years ago (holy poo poo :corsair:), and it was a combination of Logic's ES1 and reFX's QuadraSID plugins.

EDIT: To save yourself time, if you just wanted to hear whatever would have been considered the 'single', it's track 3, "Ceiling Fan". :shobon:

EDIT: vvv I remember someone actually complimented me, saying they appreciated that I didn't just go all 'super crazy mega man remix' with my album. Some tracks are faster than others, but none get to that frenetic pace that you mean, and that's because I absolutely feel the same way you do. I don't listen to EDM, DnB, or speed metal normally, so I'm certainly not going to make 8-bit versions of that kind of thing.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 31, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I like a lot of the chiptuney stuff, but outside of Disasterpiece, I haven't really heard a lot of mellow chiptune. Most of the stuff I hear is hyper frenetic and that bores me to tears.

If I could find more stuff like this, I'd be happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_9NGviXBjg&t=510s

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I may have a bit of extra cash coming in soon and I'm prooooobably gonna blow a chunk of it on an OP1. I have the Volca Keys, Beats and a PO office and I'm entirely making fun sounds for me at this point. Are there any super compelling reasons to split it up on some other gear instead or hold off for a bit?

I really like the idea of an all in one jambox thing and while the Circuit does look awesome everything about the OP1 looks like a step up for someone like me who's a newbie to making music. I'm also trying to keep my physical footprint down on all this stuff since it'll live on my already cluttered desk.

I've played around with the ableton trial a bit but I always go back to my hardware stuff because it's easier for me to deal with.

I know you can use the OP1 as a midi controller even though the keys don't look great, would it be possible to get an adapter to use it on my Volcas?

Edit to add I really dig dark wave, synth pop and poo poo like whatever you'd call the Hotline Miami soundtrack along with stuff like the avalanches and jdilla. I mostly enjoy making ambient sounds with simple drum loops and glitched out patterns with the PO. I also ordered the PO KO to get a bit of that but this would be entirely frivolous spending so I don't mind double dipping on sampling. I REALLY like the look of the sample engine on the op1.

Stan Taylor fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 31, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

One of these will let you use it with your volca: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

As for the OP-1, it's a lovely piece of kit. I didn't get on with it and sold mine (as did Tarekith, come to think of it), but if the workflow clicks with you, you'll love it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

I may have a bit of extra cash coming in soon and I'm prooooobably gonna blow a chunk of it on an OP1. I have the Volca Keys, Beats and a PO office and I'm entirely making fun sounds for me at this point. Are there any super compelling reasons to split it up on some other gear instead or hold off for a bit?

I really like the idea of an all in one jambox thing and while the Circuit does look awesome everything about the OP1 looks like a step up for someone like me who's a newbie to making music. I'm also trying to keep my physical footprint down on all this stuff since it'll live on my already cluttered desk.

I've played around with the ableton trial a bit but I always go back to my hardware stuff because it's easier for me to deal with.

I know you can use the OP1 as a midi controller even though the keys don't look great, would it be possible to get an adapter to use it on my Volcas?

Edit to add I really dig dark wave, synth pop and poo poo like whatever you'd call the Hotline Miami soundtrack along with stuff like the avalanches and jdilla. I mostly enjoy making ambient sounds with simple drum loops and glitched out patterns with the PO. I also ordered the PO KO to get a bit of that but this would be entirely frivolous spending so I don't mind double dipping on sampling. I REALLY like the look of the sample engine on the op1.

I haven't dug into the sample engine on the OP-1 but from my limited experience with it it's fine, and you can get pretty quick at using it. I will say I think the sound of the OP-1 will definitely be right up your alley. Only thing to keep in mind is that the design philosophy behind it was definitely that it should be a one-stop-shop piece of kit, so while there are ways you can integrate it into a bigger setup without a ton of hassle, it's not really designed around it. It's meant to play mostly with itself, and from what I gather it works pretty well with POs, but it's not intended to be a big driver of other equipment or a sequencer that sits at the heart of a mammoth MIDI setup. Not saying it can't do a lot with other gear, just that it works really, really well solo.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The things I hated most about the OP-1 was the unintuitive synth engines - they emphasise experimentation, but when you just want a certain sound, good luck! - and the really tedious tape recorder. I spent hours and hours labouring away at that thing but it was the opposite of a fluid creative experience for me. You only have to look as far as Andrew Huang, RMR and Cuckoo to see people doing amazing things with that 4 track, but I could never give it the time it apparently needed.

It certainly felt slow and clumsy next to my Push 2 and Digitakt. Hell, even the Circuit got me doing things way faster and more excitingly. I think the OP-1 is a really creative tool that requires someone equally creative to get the most out of it. I don't think I'm the sort of person it suits.

I only say all this to give you an example of that very niche tool not working. It shouldn't put you off giving it a whirl! I'm glad I got mine, if only to quench my epic GAS and make me learn more about myself as a musician. I sold it on for a really good price too; it's a hot ticket item that resells well.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah I'm not too worried about absolutely hating it and the resale value is pretty comforting if I end up wanting to switch it out down the line. I have no formal training so I'm mostly just throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks. I got on really well with the PO sequencer so I'm pretty confident that would carry over to a bigger format with a similar design ideal.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I figure this is basically the thread for sampling-related hardware questions and wanted to get some opinions from others between a couple products. I have decided that I want to go the Native Instruments Maschine route versus the Akai MPC for a couple reasons. One, I would get Komplete with Maschine which would be an amazing collection of sounds to be able to use. In addition, I am familiar with NI hardware having used a Traktor S2 for a while and like the look and feel of their controllers.

The part I am having a hard time with now is deciding whether to look at the new Maschine Mk3 or to try and pick up a used Maschine Studio since the prices on those seemed to have dropped quite a bit since the Mk3 was released. I will mostly be using the Maschine to chop/edit/play samples recorded from my AT-LP120 and am wondering if there are any feature differences that would make one of these a much better piece of hardware for my studio.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Thanks for this! And while we're discussing Disasterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH04VJ8jxvo

I was able to recreate this in Serum and it sounds so good.

ahhhhh i saw this video ages ago and was never able to find it again (couldn't remember "disasterpeace" or even just "fez"). thanks for posting it. :)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
get an octatrack, i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Are there any super compelling reasons to split it up on some other gear instead or hold off for a bit?

Do you already have a good mixer?

Stan Taylor posted:

I really like the idea of an all in one jambox thing

If I was rich my next portable/all in one jambox/controller would be the MPC live