Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Lol wordperfect in 2018. Even at a lawfirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

I’ve signed a non disclosure but I can talk about the IT.

We aren’t allowed to use Word.

Everything must be in Word Perfect. Pleadings have to look professional, so Courier New is the only approved font.

We are able to receive emails from Outlook 97. We can not send emails.

If I want a document scanned, I have to fill out a “Document Instruction Sheet” and wait one business day.

Even though I own a license to Acrobat Pro, I can not use it. Thus redaction occurs by magic marker. I can’t bates label discovery.

I got “written up” because they alleged that I “failed to log out” of my workstation (intel core 2 duo). This is enough to cause a database to crash per my boss.

I could go on.

i feel like this level of IT incompetence has to violate a host of ethical rules about effectively safeguarding client information if you are using outlook 97

honestly the only reason your systems probably still work is that the hackers who have owned your poo poo are keeping it patched to keep other hackers out and keep the systems online

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sounds like you work in a telemarketer phone bank Jesus Christ

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Goddamn pm me that firm name

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Everything must be in Word Perfect. Pleadings have to look professional, so Courier New is the only approved font.

If I want a document scanned, I have to fill out a “Document Instruction Sheet” and wait one business day.

Even though I own a license to Acrobat Pro, I can not use it. Thus redaction occurs by magic marker. I can’t bates label discovery.

I got “written up” because they alleged that I “failed to log out” of my workstation (intel core 2 duo). This is enough to cause a database to crash per my boss.

I could go on.

This is amazing

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

EwokEntourage posted:

This is amazing

Now imagine all of the things like this but I can’t tell you because of the NDA.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

nm posted:

Lol wordperfect in 2018. Even at a lawfirm.

I had a boss at an IP boutique who wished he could go back to writing everything in wordperfect (before law school). Fortunately, I was in charge of IT so our poo poo was up to date.

Edit: It wasn't in the "I'm a crotchety old man" way, it was in the "I could make it do back flips one handed" kind of way. He was generally an awesome tech savvy dude.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I had a boss at an IP boutique who wished he could go back to writing everything in wordperfect (before law school). Fortunately, I was in charge of IT so our poo poo was up to date.

Edit: It wasn't in the "I'm a crotchety old man" way, it was in the "I could make it do back flips one handed" kind of way. He was generally an awesome tech savvy dude.

Word perfect was "better" in the sense that you could conrol things more granularly. You know, when it wasn't crashing.
I worked IT for a law firm in another life around 2002 and we supported both wordperfect and word. Other than stability, WP was still better.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

nm posted:

Word perfect was "better" in the sense that you could conrol things more granularly. You know, when it wasn't crashing.
I worked IT for a law firm in another life around 2002 and we supported both wordperfect and word. Other than stability, WP was still better.

I miss the "reveal codes" option. You could look at a WP document and understand why it was hosed up more easily than Word by far.

Of course, Word is also light years over a shared google doc, so yay.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ulmont posted:

I miss the "reveal codes" option. You could look at a WP document and understand why it was hosed up more easily than Word by far.

Of course, Word is also light years over a shared google doc, so yay.

today, when i pasted something into a word document, it changed the font

no, not of just what i pasted. thanks word.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
WP and WordStar (my favorite) made sense back in the days before GUIs. It was fun being an arcane wizard. Then the 90s came.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

homullus posted:

Extensive working from home can be unhealthy, depending on your personal needs (structure, interaction) and your home (distraction-free and appropriate office environment). There's a tax break for a home office, though, and using commute time for literally anything else including sleeping is pretty great. It's worth doing the budget and tax math before you even get to the stuff that's harder to quantify.

This is a real thing. When I first started my practice and I was working from home it was the most depressing time in my legal career. Turns out, having no structure or people to talk to does not do wonders for my productivity (or general well being). Fortunately, my situation improved and I now have people around but you could not pay me to work from home again.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I go to the gym every day at the same time so that helps

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Working from home loving sucks unless you've got it set up right

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Roger_Mudd posted:

Now imagine all of the things like this but I can’t tell you because of the NDA.

South Korea has been really hard for us to sell legal tech, practice management software etc into because half the goddamn country still uses Lotus Notes.

Yes, I know it was a technically superior product when you made the buy decision in 1994 or whenever. Get over it.

God.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Working from home loving sucks unless you've got it set up right

I would take a 10% cut to work from home because my commute is poo poo and I can do 99% of my job from out of the office. I can actually do most of it on my phone. So I wouldn’t stay at home all day. Would be cool to get errands done and maybe get a gym going habit to stick.

The savings in gas, car Wear and tear, and parking would easily make up for the pay cut. Didn’t even think about the home office deduction.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

I would take a 10% cut to work from home because my commute is poo poo and I can do 99% of my job from out of the office. I can actually do most of it on my phone. So I wouldn’t stay at home all day. Would be cool to get errands done and maybe get a gym going habit to stick.

The savings in gas, car Wear and tear, and parking would easily make up for the pay cut. Didn’t even think about the home office deduction.

But for real, starting your day at home, doing your work at home, and then already being home creates a kind of stasis that can crush you if you're not ready. A gym membership that you use daily would help, but it's not enough, and I say that as a solid introvert. It's more like gym membership that you use daily AND three or more knitting groups/game nights/dance lessons a week to keep you interacting with people you don't share your refrigerator with. Think about the efforts responsible parents make to socialize their kids when they homeschool them -- that's what you need to build around yourself to be successful working from home.

Saving the time and money of the commute is excellent, you are correct about that.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

homullus posted:

But for real, starting your day at home, doing your work at home, and then already being home creates a kind of stasis that can crush you if you're not ready. A gym membership that you use daily would help, but it's not enough, and I say that as a solid introvert. It's more like gym membership that you use daily AND three or more knitting groups/game nights/dance lessons a week to keep you interacting with people you don't share your refrigerator with. Think about the efforts responsible parents make to socialize their kids when they homeschool them -- that's what you need to build around yourself to be successful working from home.

Saving the time and money of the commute is excellent, you are correct about that.

Sure. My wife works from home a lot though and I barely talk to anyone at the office as is, so I’m not missing much there.

My bigger concern would be getting fat as gently caress. I worked at home during a snow day a couple weeks ago and got something to eat every time I went downstairs.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I prefer office because I'm mad irresponsible at home. That said, I know where Roger works and he needs to take the new job and then keep looking for an even better gig. Eventually he and Scrapps will form a firm and that'll be that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I mean the whole working from home if that's all you do can definitely get old, but he's not "working from home" rather than just using his home office to prepare for court every day. So he's still seeing and interacting with people, and he needs to take that job.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Beefeater1980 posted:

South Korea has been really hard for us to sell legal tech, practice management software etc into because half the goddamn country still uses Lotus Notes.

Yes, I know it was a technically superior product when you made the buy decision in 1994 or whenever. Get over it.

God.
I'm not surprised. South Korean banks only stopped being required to use ActiveX for online banking two or three years ago.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I prefer office because I'm mad irresponsible at home. That said, I know where Roger works and he needs to take the new job and then keep looking for an even better gig. Eventually he and Scrapps will form a firm and that'll be that.

No one wants the cases I take. No one.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

homullus posted:

I take shitposting breaks if that helps

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I take shitposting breaks if that helps

I am glad you take breaks from shitposting, I've been meaning to try that myself

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What do all you solo guys do for health insurance?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

Spouse with real job

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

What state do you practice in?

I know in Texas the state bar association has a private exchange. It’s probably a shitshow but it might be the least bad option.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

disjoe posted:

What state do you practice in?

I know in Texas the state bar association has a private exchange. It’s probably a shitshow but it might be the least bad option.

Illinois. I've been doing contract review for a while, but running into some hiccups with healthcare.gov . I'd been eyeing going back to the old poo poo I did just for health insurance (lots of court stepup) but I hated it and was wondering about other options.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guam

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
In today's installment of Whitlam's Adventures in Lawyer Finishing School we had Negotiation, which consisted of our group being split. Three quarters of us were employees, one quarter were employers, role playing the establishment of a new firm. Our first action as employees was to unionise, which we were told was "against the spirit of the exercise".

In brighter news, I found out my compulsory placement can be reduced from 25 days to 15 due to prior experience I've had at a crim firm. It may not sound like much but given I have a real job already that I kind of need to be at, I'll take any reduction I can. :toot:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

I could go on.

To find an appropriate image to illustrate this setup, I googled "Chicken Coop Computer" but no results were sufficient.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Whitlam posted:

In today's installment of Whitlam's Adventures in Lawyer Finishing School we had Negotiation, which consisted of our group being split. Three quarters of us were employees, one quarter were employers, role playing the establishment of a new firm. Our first action as employees was to unionise, which we were told was "against the spirit of the exercise".

This is beautiful.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Today I got “written up” because I emailed an appellate brief to my boss and he didn’t check his email this weekend. I robbed him of his time.

Roger_Mudd - time robber

nm
Jan 28, 2008

What?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

What?

I wasn’t going to finish a brief by end of business, I got written approval to work on it from home and email it to him that night. I did so. He then didn’t check his email all weekend.

Can’t you see how it’s my fault he didn’t work on it this weekend?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Roger please...quit....

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

I wasn’t going to finish a brief by end of business, I got written approval to work on it from home and email it to him that night. I did so. He then didn’t check his email all weekend.

Get the gently caress out of there

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Roger please...quit....

Yeah. I’m going to “meet the other attorneys” at a small civil defense firm today or Friday. Hopefully that turns into an offer. Should be same amount of work and more pay.

I’m using the offer at the other firm for leverage.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Yeah. I’m going to “meet the other attorneys” at a small civil defense firm today or Friday. Hopefully that turns into an offer. Should be same amount of work and more pay.

I’m using the offer at the other firm for leverage.

I follow a handful of attorneys our age on linkedin.

It's amazing how much people hop around.

Meanwhile I just keep doing my own thing and now attorneys are like "Hey you wanna cover for me while I'm on vacation? You do a good job."

Lmbo

On the other hand I get no vacation or benefits

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Roger_Mudd posted:

Could you please burn down your office when you quit, this all sounds like crazytown even compared to biglaw