Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I bought a mapp gas torch but it takes forever compared to a blazing hot cast iron skillet. The torch is great for nachos though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I bought a mapp gas torch but it takes forever compared to a blazing hot cast iron skillet. The torch is great for nachos though!

For some reason cast iron takes long enough (I have a glass cooktop) that my sear is subpar and the food cooks more inside.) I got that crust after about 60 seconds per side... at most 90 seconds.

You might be right, not discounting you... just saying, I like the clean, dry sear, and the amount of control.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah glass cooktops and cast iron will work but aren't the greatest. I have an old school electric coil so it turns up the heat quickly and contacts the cast iron well enough.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah glass cooktops and cast iron will work but aren't the greatest. I have an old school electric coil so it turns up the heat quickly and contacts the cast iron well enough.

Nice! :)

I’d say this... when researching Searzall, the Mapp and Heat shrink head were recommended and based on Searzall vids I’ve seen, the MAPP + Heat Shrink Head gets the job done faster. I’m no expert, just seems to be the case...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My glass top works fine with my lodge. You need to make sure to give it enough time to heat up. I usually put the pan on at the lowest heat for a couple of minutes, then add canola oil and set it to medium low (3 on a scale of 9) and let it warm up more, then I crank it up to 6 until it starts smoking. After that I only need 10-15 sec per side of steak.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What's the point of warming it gradually? Would it crack or something?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Heats more evenly. Cast iron holds heat extremely well but heats super unevenly.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah this. You want the whole pan to be evenly heated. And heat doesn't transfer from grassroots as fast as gas burners, so you need a longer preheat to get it hot enough.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm not grasping why low for 2 + medium-low for 2 + medium for 2 would distribute heat any better than going straight to medium for 6 (or 5). On a glass-top stove, the heat is applied evenly to the whole bottom surface area regardless of temp setting, right? What am I missing?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I leave my cast iron pan in a 450F oven for 30ish minutes before throwing it on a high burner.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
With a 10 inch skillet on an ordinary gas burner I find the cooking surface is about the right size for the hob and I don't have uneven temps. 12 definitely has a hot middle and cold sides.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not grasping why low for 2 + medium-low for 2 + medium for 2 would distribute heat any better than going straight to medium for 6 (or 5). On a glass-top stove, the heat is applied evenly to the whole bottom surface area regardless of temp setting, right? What am I missing?

With a glass top and a pan that doesn't fit perfectly you'll end up with a hot spot that's smoking with tepid everywhere else. Preheating at temps that won't smoke helps avoid.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

With a glass top and a pan that doesn't fit perfectly you'll end up with a hot spot that's smoking with tepid everywhere else. Preheating at temps that won't smoke helps avoid.

To add to this, cast iron has inherent hot spots, so the problem would remain even if you were able to put it on a perfectly fitting glass burner or even a gas burner.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Preheating in the oven is the best way to get even heat out of your cast iron in my experience.

ninja edit: Don't be like me and try to grab the handle without a hot pad once you get it on the stove, as the handle will be the same temp as the cooking surface and you WILL get a handle shaped burn on your palm.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Preheating in the oven is the best way to get even heat out of your cast iron in my experience.

ninja edit: Don't be like me and try to grab the handle without a hot pad once you get it on the stove, as the handle will be the same temp as the cooking surface and you WILL get a handle shaped burn on your palm.

Should have told me this a couple of months ago. For some reason my brain doesn't understand a pan in the oven that doesn't have food in it can still be really loving hot.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:same:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

I hardly ever use the handle even when only on the stovetop, it might not get hot as fast but it does get hot. :gonk:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry guys, just to be clear, I wasn't trying to suggest I had found superior methods over Cast Iron, etc... just that, for me, the MAPP HS Torch ended up being exactly what I wanted, easy to use, and with the results I had been looking to achieve. It's a nice option to the ever-elusive SearzAll. So if you have your sights on a SearzAll, at least look into it. :)

(great advice on the Cast Iron even heating, though!)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I just turn my turbo gas burner up to 11 and wait until the loft is full of smoke.

Then I know.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Has anyone had success doing fried food much thicker than normal by vizzling and then breading and frying at high heat only to crisp it up? Specifically I was trying tonkatsu last week and it did not turn out well for me; the breading absolutely refused to stick to the cooked cutlet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I did SV fried chicken cutlets a few times trying to duplicate Shake Shack's. I didn't have issues with the breading sticking, but overall I didn't think it was worth the effort. I only do it a couple times a year, but I'm more likely to do ATK's shallow-fry -> oven method.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

AnonSpore posted:

Has anyone had success doing fried food much thicker than normal by vizzling and then breading and frying at high heat only to crisp it up? Specifically I was trying tonkatsu last week and it did not turn out well for me; the breading absolutely refused to stick to the cooked cutlet.

Haven't tried it since it doesn't fit diet, does look like normal tonkatsu here though https://blog.nomiku.com/sous-vide-pork-katsu/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

Just guessing here but it's possible that breading doesn't stick well to already-cooked protein. It might need to be in contact with the meat when it first cooks in order to develop a bond with the proteins.

Might be a thing that you have to do without sous vide.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 1, 2018

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

if you're having adhesion issues with breading, first make sure what you're breading isn't wet. water inbetween the breading and the meat will turn to steam and break the breading.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've done pickle brined > SV > fried chicken for sandwiches. I had no more issue with it than raw, drying is very important.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wet raw things are a pain in the rear end as well. Roll it in flour first?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

With chicken I generally season with pepper, cayenne, salt, and a little bit of flour before the egg wash or if I'm being lazy I"ll just season it a bit with the stage 3 breading first.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've always had the most success with a double wash/breading/wash/breading cycle.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

AnonSpore posted:

SV fried chicken is intense

But you have to get it real dry after the SV part. Like wrap in paper towels and smash good dry .

Then flour egg flour and fry at 375 for super crisp breading.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

:same: Something about a clean pan sitting on the stove my brain forgets it's been in a 450F+ oven for 20 minutes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm guessing I messed up on the dry part because I only patted it dry like I would for a raw cutlet. I'll do some more over the weekend and report back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve Yun posted:

Just guessing here but it's possible that breading doesn't stick well to already-cooked protein. It might need to be in contact with the meat when it first cooks in order to develop a bond with the proteins.

Might be a thing that you have to do without sous vide.

My housemate breads and fries chicken breasts that he’s cooked SV, and it works pretty well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Second attempt turned out much better but yeesh you guys weren't kidding when you said it had to be dry. Had to basically swathe it in paper towels and press down multiple times before the breading actually stuck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can let it dry on a rack for another 5 mins after patting it down, too.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

AnonSpore posted:

Second attempt turned out much better but yeesh you guys weren't kidding when you said it had to be dry. Had to basically swathe it in paper towels and press down multiple times before the breading actually stuck.

It's got to be dry. That's how it works.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

2 hour smoke, 48 hour sous vide (133, chicago steak seasoning, little bit of Worcestershire), 30 second sear turned this chuck roast into melt in your mouth ribeye. I also chopped up an onion and sauteed it in the juices until it formed a thick reduction. Fuckin' heavenly, best piece of meat I've ever eaten.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I've been cooking with my Joule for about a week now and generally love the method and the results. However, this is really the first time I've "seared" things, and even after one cook my entire kitchen (cabinets, floors, microwave, stemware, etc.) is coated in a layer of grease that's really hard to clean. I have a vent hood with the fan on high and open the windows before I sear. I only put about a tablespoon of oil in the pan/skillet.

This is really bumming me out and pretty much makes it not worth it for me. Are there any alternative methods for finishing meat that won't make a mess, even if it won't taste as good? I don't/can't have a barbecue so that's not an option.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Get one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=3737171

And how are you searing? Cast iron and a dab of butter results in very little splatter to the point that I don't generally bother with the shield.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I have one of those and use it as well as I possibly can. I don't think it's the splatter per se but more the aerosolized matter that floats around and settles all over everything. It's likely a ventilation problem at its core, but not one I can do much about.

I've seared with olive oil and olive oil + butter, but never just butter. I might give that a shot.

Can a torch on its own work well for searing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can always preheat the pan in the oven and sear in there as well, just use some tongs to flip.