Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh and our pride parade has a history of being real fuckin' trans-exclusionary and only even really acknowledged the trans community as existing last year when we went - at which point they were allowed to have their own separate but equal parade before the main parade, which just wound up being a solidarity march of remembrance for murdered transpeople iirc.

i really wanted to go to that part of the parade but i spent the entire hour it was scheduled to happen driving all over the place looking for a parking spot :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

we were talking about terfs and my wife had the most insightful thought: terfs are practicing patriarchy by giving into a fundamentally male conception of womanhood. they are exclusively defining a woman by her vagina and her ability to reproduce (e.g. "you've never experienced the pain of menstrual cramps"). this is not that far from the patriarchal definition, where women who are reproductively or sexually disabled are essentially used up dregs of little worth. they've simply uncritically extended this toxic thinking to actual possession of a vagina rather than its mere accessibility and usefulness for sex.

the terf rationale i'm familiar with suggests that trans women are somehow transitioning in Bad Faith, which should be ridiculous on its face

to your wife's point: i think that's correct. i believe they are invoking gender essentialism in Bad Faith. it's just the most expedient ideological cudgel to use against trans women. they do not go out of their way to exclude infertile cis women.

ultravoices posted:

i'm reading eve sedgwck's "between men" (thanks library loan!) and there is a passage in the forward which i think addresses this in a way:

"Implicitly or explicitly, radical feminism tends to deny that the meaning of gender or sexuality has ever significantly changed; and more damagingly, it can make future change appear impossible, or necessarily apocalyptic, even though desirable."

more or less that the existence of trans people as real lived fact blows up their worldview that the categories of women and men were ever thus and ever shall be.

interesting! i didn't think of it like that, i.e., as a systemic problem with radical feminist ideology.

my suspicion was that terfs, like many people, just don't to empathize with others who are different from them. but acknowledging that lack of empathy openly is (i think???) incompatible with their ideology. invoking the smokescreen alleviates the cognitive dissonance

likely related to that: history of PoC being excluded from certain feminist circles. but im not qualified to talk about that history, maybe another poster can draw a clean line between the two

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Helianthus Annuus posted:

the terf rationale i'm familiar with suggests that trans women are somehow transitioning in Bad Faith, which should be ridiculous on its face

to your wife's point: i think that's correct. i believe they are invoking gender essentialism in Bad Faith. it's just the most expedient ideological cudgel to use against trans women. they do not go out of their way to exclude infertile cis women.

interesting! i didn't think of it like that, i.e., as a systemic problem with radical feminist ideology.

my suspicion was that terfs, like many people, just don't to empathize with others who are different from them. but acknowledging that lack of empathy openly is (i think???) incompatible with their ideology. invoking the smokescreen alleviates the cognitive dissonance

likely related to that: history of PoC being excluded from certain feminist circles. but im not qualified to talk about that history, maybe another poster can draw a clean line between the two

Phil Sandifer wrote a real good essay on them that basically showed that their ideology is pretty much exactly the same as right-wing reactionism but with a bunch of feminist apologetics added, I'm not sure if it's available online for free but it was included in Neoreaction a Basilisk as one of the bonus essays

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Improbable Lobster posted:

aww, legalization will be a month too late :canada:

look on the bright side, it's still in your future :shobon:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

Phil Sandifer wrote a real good essay on them that basically showed that their ideology is pretty much exactly the same as right-wing reactionism but with a bunch of feminist apologetics added, I'm not sure if it's available online for free but it was included in Neoreaction a Basilisk as one of the bonus essays

i started forming a similar thought, but i pulled back because i'm not knowledgeable enough about the various factions of feminism to really back it up. nevertheless i'll post the tl;dr version and maybe you can tell me whether Phil Sandifer would back me up.

the thinking goes: terf ideology implicitly accepts the toxic power dynamics / problematic hierarchies endemic in a capitalist society. rather than ambitiously dismantle those dynamics / hierarchies, they are satisfied to put someone else on the business end of it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Ta-Nehisi Coates wrote this article in the October Atlantic that explores a similar dynamic at work in racism. i'll do my best to paraphrase this point i took away from it:

in a capitalist society, SOMEONE needs to be exploited / enslaved. white racist's covert motivation: doing everything possible to make sure that isn't him.

the connection with the idea in the above post: instead of imagining a world without exploitation, the white racist creates a world where he is the beneficiary of that exploitation

heres that article: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/10/the-first-white-president-ta-nehisi-coates/537909/

EDIT: i'll just finish the thought from the article. trump won because the white racist finds himself being exploited by capitalism, and trump implied he was gonna put someone else back in the racial-exploitation-hotseat

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 28, 2018

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

paging divabot to a discussion of that fake goth

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

we went to pride last year and were really disappointed because at least 50% of the floats in the parade were just banks advertising how much they absolutely love all your gay money, please come give all your gay money to us thank you. in addition there was a stage show hosted by a drag queen that made me super uncomfortable and talked about how he wanted to rape audience members who were cute. it felt like the whole thing was some big weird gay minstrel show for straight people to feel better about themselves

Milwaukee's pride parade is like this, but the actual pride festival at at the summerfest grounds is the kind of thing you probably picture when you think of a classic pride.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ultravoices posted:

paging divabot to a discussion of that fake goth

yeah phil sandifer goes into the fake goth TERF getting super mad about being called a fake goth in like the first page, lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Doesn't that individual name search themselves constantly and doxx people when finds taking about her? Maybe we should steer around that bit of discussion.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yospos is behind the paywall, isn't it?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

yospos is behind the paywall, isn't it?

Doesn't the pay wall rotate what's publicly visible? Not to mention there's plenty of registered users that aren't above exfiltrating posts to offsites

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

we're also not mentioning her name

and if she's googling for "fake goth" to get super mad at people calling her a fake goth then lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ahahah holy poo poo she's literally the first entire page of google results for fake goth, that's perfect

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ahahah holy poo poo she's literally the first entire page of google results for fake goth, that's perfect

lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

we're also not mentioning her name

and if she's googling for "fake goth" to get super mad at people calling her a fake goth then lmao

It might be funny to you, but as a person who has actually been doxxed it makes me feel extremely unsafe and I would like to not risk undue attention on this thread, even if it seems a bit paranoid to you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cis autodrag posted:

It might be funny to you, but as a person who has actually been doxxed it makes me feel extremely unsafe and I would like to not risk undue attention on this thread, even if it seems a bit paranoid to you.

fwiw i tried googling "site:forums.somethingawful.com "fake goth"" and it brings up a thread about terfs, a thread about uk politics, the dark enlightenment mock thread and the idiots on social media thread

i'm not trying to dismiss your concerns but i do think that just using that specific phrase isn't quite enough of a lead for that creep

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
That kind of thing always worries me and I'm not sure if I'm seriously in much of a position to lose but I know a lot of people who are and who have so I try to steer clear of touching the poop.

YOSPOS isn't currently behind the paywall which honestly surprises me. I thought more of the good forums would be paywalled what with the taxman being broke as gently caress these days

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm so so burned. :cry:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm so so burned. :cry:

I hope that doesn't affect any of your injection sites! My doctor told me to keep all incisions out of the sun for like 2 months to avoid nasty scars.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It shouldnt, I hope. Only all top-facing surfaces got burned, injection sites safely under the chin.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Doing my big stupid commute for the first time tomorrow since surgery, wish me luck.

Finishing catching up on The Expanse tonight though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

just for the record my wife and I have both been doxxed before, me in the more traditional sense and her by her psycho alcoholic dad, so this isn't exactly a foreign concept to me. i'll drop it though

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Those bastards finally really did it. They've automated gender normativity!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

beep beep

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

in this thread I think it is reasonable that everyone has a "uh, hey could we not discuss subject X?" veto.

back to random topics:
our current house is all 1950s poo poo and after the pipe connecting the drain of the tub in the main bathroom basically rotted through two months ago we've been stuck using a shower that is 2.5'x2.5'x6.5', dark tiled, and completely unlit. shaving in there is just the worst. we're moving in a few weeks to a house which has been 100% renovated and we are both entirely too excited about the new bathrooms.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
People always underestimate the value of a good bathroom, until you’ve been without one! Hell, I wouldn’t be able to stand up in that shower.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the crampedness of mcginns waiting room still sucks

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

People always underestimate the value of a good bathroom, until you’ve been without one! Hell, I wouldn’t be able to stand up in that shower.

Agreed. My current place had tiny horrible bathrooms and it's enough that we're moving at the end of our lease

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
just wanna say thanks to this thread

i made a new friend here :3:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

just wanna say thanks to this thread

i made a new friend here :3:

Was it me? I like new friends.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Was it me? I like new friends.

i made :siren: TWO FRIENDS :siren:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
lez all be friends.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Getting work to start using my new name, so far no obnoxious questions

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
are you fortunate enough to work with cool people?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

are you fortunate enough to work with cool people?

no

first thing after I mentioned new pronouns to my department head he sent out an email to the office manager that outed me

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

keyboard vomit posted:

no

first thing after I mentioned new pronouns to my department head he sent out an email to the office manager that outed me

Ugh. You should be able to sue for something like that in a just world.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

keyboard vomit posted:

no

Like, are we talking literally "keyboard vomit used to go by X, and now is going by Y"? Because holy poo poo that’s so not cool.

Still lovely but more understandable would be... no. I can’t think of something understandable.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

Ugh. You should be able to sue for something like that in a just world.

well.. what should the manager do, then, to inform? genuinly curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Manager shouldnt do poo poo, it's for the employee to disclose.