Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDog
Oct 12, 2015
You know, I don't mind it when people ask the question of how much a DLC or just games in general should cost, but the group of people who make it their life to complain about price make any discussion on it too annoying to be worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
where we're going, we won't need money

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You want a company to make free games while also "managing their finances" ? Fine, enjoy your pay to win free to play Vicky 3, a mobile exclusive loaded with ads. Upgrade your clipper shipyard to steamer shipyard for only 5 Coal Gems, buy Coal Gems from the paradox store now!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

What amuses me most about DLC is back when the Horse Armor fiasco happened everyone was mad as hell someone would dare charge money for cosmetic poo poo, and these days cosmetic poo poo is the most benign and harmless DLC that exists because that's all it is, just get it if you wanna look cool otherwise forget it, but it's not going to screw you out of content or plot or something.

Also yeah get mad about DLC but Paradox ship pretty hefty content packs and a lot of the stuff comes free in the attendant patches there's not many publishers out there right now who are less deserving of DLC criticism.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ms Adequate posted:

I mean...... yes? If under capitalism your customers don't buy more you're going to go under? :psyduck:

This is what's amazing, I legitimately do not know if this guy understands the concept of expenses. I cannot imagine being incredulous that earned income can, in fact, go away.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ahhhhhhh this fukkin game

An ancient empire woke up and war decc'd against me. The empire literally on the other side of the galaxy. No demands from my federation buddies. Just me. He won the war easily by taking about 4 of my allies planets but none of mine and became my overlord. They then instantly started the war in heaven against the people who had just became overlord of the devouring swarm that was ~1/3 of the galaxy.

Then the unbidden showed up next to both overlords and took out every planet of my 'boss' except the one he took as a war reward. So my overlord has one planet, a military i could piss over but i cant claim independence still because who knows why.

The unbidden lot then take out the entire awakened empire i was at war against. But this doesnt, for some reason, end the war in heaven. Just removes all the war goals. So im stuck as subordinate to some lovely empire that i cant just break away from because they're literally stuck in forever war. I have to ask nicely and they always say no. I cant fix my economy or get myself my tributaries so i have a decent fleet that if it breaks i cant replenish and about half the galaxy is interdimensial invaders. Im so freakin mad

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ms Adequate posted:

What amuses me most about DLC is back when the Horse Armor fiasco happened everyone was mad as hell someone would dare charge money for cosmetic poo poo, and these days cosmetic poo poo is the most benign and harmless DLC that exists because that's all it is, just get it if you wanna look cool otherwise forget it, but it's not going to screw you out of content or plot or something.

Also yeah get mad about DLC but Paradox ship pretty hefty content packs and a lot of the stuff comes free in the attendant patches there's not many publishers out there right now who are less deserving of DLC criticism.

I mean the day one content DLCs made up of stuff trimmed from the game is bad, but "getting more content by paying for it" was what people wanted out of DLC? Meaty expansion packs are certainly what I wanted at the time, and still want

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

turn off the TV posted:

This is what's amazing, I legitimately do not know if this guy understands the concept of expenses. I cannot imagine being incredulous that earned income can, in fact, go away.
There are a shitload of people who seem to think that money is just a lump that you gradually accrue and can only lose if you waste it or otherwise behave immorally.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm sitting around with my whole dang non special unit fleet dismantled insulting all my neighbors with fleets rated from superior to overwhelming and not a dang one will do anything

Just because I can build like 400k in a game year, you guys :argh:

Really debating embracing some other faction so I can get rid of or at least tone down the pacifist part, not like inward perfection is doing a whole hell of a lot at this point

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I mean the day one content DLCs made up of stuff trimmed from the game is bad, but "getting more content by paying for it" was what people wanted out of DLC? Meaty expansion packs are certainly what I wanted at the time, and still want

Oh, yeah, I agree and I'm perfectly happy with DLC that adds content but a decent chunk of people seem to think it's entirely made up of the final fifth of games. Even they don't bother bitching about cosmetic stuff that much anymore (though granted that may be because it's been supplanted by lootboxes in many cases, which are wayyy more problematic in many regards)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

God drat it one of them just wants to vassalize me now

attack me you fucks

e: loving FINALLY

DangerDog
Oct 12, 2015

Nessus posted:

There are a shitload of people who seem to think that money is just a lump that you gradually accrue and can only lose if you waste it or otherwise behave immorally.

People who have personal expenses are chumps, I, personally, live in a nest carefully constructed from all the dollar bills I save.

On the topic of nests, however. I've been thinking about playing an Avian hivemind, but I've heard that content for them is a bit more sparse, is this true? I'm split between this idea and robo-birds

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shugojin posted:

God drat it one of them just wants to vassalize me now

attack me you fucks

One of my fave things about Pdox threads is people relating their mounting woes as everything goes to poo poo :allears:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pretty hosed up that Paradox is still releasing new day one DLC for CK2 six years later.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

One of my fave things about Pdox threads is people relating their mounting woes as everything goes to poo poo :allears:

It's not even going to poo poo, it's just that I'm stubbornly refusing to change my ethics from fanatic pacifist and instead baiting the other empires into attacking me and it gets boring at times

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The "insult" button is the greatest tool of the pacifist. Especially if you have that Tradition that gives you huge bonuses to defensive wars.

Step 1: Stockpile a bunch of minerals rather than building fleet
Step 2: Insult an equivalent or superior neighbor so they declare war
Step 3: Build a bazillion ships at a discount
Step 4: Choose "cleanse planet" wargoal for as many of their planets as possible
Step 5: Everyone hates you for being a genocidal bastard.
Step 6: Colonize everything you can
Step 7: Go to 1

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, I was just getting impatient but the AE finally declared war and then got brutally shitstomped when I dumped a hundred thousand minerals into a bigass fleet inside of a year

(They have no fleet now)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Lol if you only have hundreds of hours in EU4 though.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Should I be upgrading buildings right away? I always seem to be lagging behind my neighbors in terms of colonization and I’ve been wondering if it’s because I’m spending too much on upgrades.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

generally the best place to put minerals is mining stations, then base level buildings; upgrades are low-priority, unless you can really leverage a lot of bonuses to make them worth it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

panascope posted:

Should I be upgrading buildings right away? I always seem to be lagging behind my neighbors in terms of colonization and I’ve been wondering if it’s because I’m spending too much on upgrades.

No. The return on investment is low. Upgrading a mine gets you one extra resource per month. Compare how long it takes to make that back vs building an entirely new mine (either on the planet or in space).

Upgrade, eventually, yes. But early on you should always build a new one first (so long as you have a pop to work it, if it's on a planet).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Thought I'd trick an awakened empire fleet into attacking me in a system with a subspace snare loaded with my allies. Allies have ~150k or more, I've got 100k sitting away from the snare. The idea being the AE will jump on top of my allies and I can hit them from range.

The AE jumps in, not on the snare, but somehow right on top of my fleet. Wipes me out, game over.

Thanks snare.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did anyone catch the latest stream Wiz did? Looked like they couldn't get the game running again and did a sort of Q&A with an older version. Wonder if there was any cool info.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ConfusedUs posted:

The "insult" button is the greatest tool of the pacifist. Especially if you have that Tradition that gives you huge bonuses to defensive wars.

Step 1: Stockpile a bunch of minerals rather than building fleet
Step 2: Insult an equivalent or superior neighbor so they declare war
Step 3: Build a bazillion ships at a discount
Step 4: Choose "cleanse planet" wargoal for as many of their planets as possible
Step 5: Everyone hates you for being a genocidal bastard.
Step 6: Colonize everything you can
Step 7: Go to 1

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Thought I'd trick an awakened empire fleet into attacking me in a system with a subspace snare loaded with my allies. Allies have ~150k or more, I've got 100k sitting away from the snare. The idea being the AE will jump on top of my allies and I can hit them from range.

The AE jumps in, not on the snare, but somehow right on top of my fleet. Wipes me out, game over.

Thanks snare.

The snare teleports the incoming fleet as close to the center of the system as it can (while still in range of the snare). I'm guessing you were "behind" your snare, and thus right near the center, expecting them to come in at the edge of the map. lol

DangerDog
Oct 12, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

Did anyone catch the latest stream Wiz did? Looked like they couldn't get the game running again and did a sort of Q&A with an older version. Wonder if there was any cool info.

I watched it a bit ago while I was doing laundry. The big thing that I remember was just how open/closed you could make the galaxy with the hyperlane (and affiliates) slider along with Wiz saying he'd add in a "return world" button so we can do de facto white peaces in place of the status quo mechanic

E: Nearly forgot. Lots of cool stuff on gateways/wormholes. If I remember correctly, you need to actually control both sides of a gateway for it to work, but wormholes are free game

DangerDog fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 31, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Love 2 emulate Sisko and mine the wormhole aperture

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I still want my Honorverse FTL system (very sparse instant hyperlanes, with slow warp everywhere the lanes don't reach).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ass_Burgerer posted:

The snare teleports the incoming fleet as close to the center of the system as it can (while still in range of the snare). I'm guessing you were "behind" your snare, and thus right near the center, expecting them to come in at the edge of the map. lol

Ah yeah, I was towards the center. I thought they always came in on top of the thing..but I guess the AI usually dumps them at the center.

Well beat the AE anyway and now their dumb butterfly people are living in my robo pleasure domes just having a great time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

fspades posted:

wiz when will you finally transcend your flesh and body, and stop bothering us with trifling matters of money?

Why does a fuckin wizard even want money?? Even if he did he could just conjure some. It's a scam.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Stop charging for lazy DLC and make some new IP

Paradox more like Parasites

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I'm having one last pre-Apocolyspe hurrah as a Democratic Crusader and triggered the Horizon Signal for only the second time. I love how the Technosphere is touched by the Worm; It loved its Brief and the Worm loved it. The Worm really did give the Brief an 'eternal life' around that black hole. The sphere won't be there with them but they can survive the death of the last star down there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qam5BkXIEhQ&t=1264s

Yadoppsi fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 31, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If I ever get upset with Paradox's DLC policy I'll just stop buying the DLC. The simple fact is that nothing is free and ongoing support for years-old titles costs money.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Nessus posted:

If you live with your parents and thus have no expenses then that's pretty much how it works, I guess.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
How are you supposed to even remotely fight more than one empire at a time without resorting to janky AI-manipulation? I've been trying to get back into the game lately and whenever I get into a war against two civs the game is basically over, since their fleet will always at least double mine, even if I put every single cent/energy I have into making ships. I've played a civ that focused on science but their ships were just as good as mine. I've played a civ that focused on military but they still had more ships than mine. Their fleet designs use at least two of the basic types at once so I can't counter them, and I can't even trust any info on which weapons are good/useless since the game's been patched so much. I've tried just about everything I can think of but every single time I find myself forced to play stupid, annoying tricks with the AI to even stand a chance, with one tiny mistake meaning total annihilation. It's frustrating the hell out of me.

Part of the problem might be that I'm playing on hyperlane only, so fleets warping directly on top of one another is a common occurrence and those fights are basically winner-take-all. But I feel like enough people play that mode that this can't be the only problem here.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pigbuster posted:

How are you supposed to even remotely fight more than one empire at a time without resorting to janky AI-manipulation? I've been trying to get back into the game lately and whenever I get into a war against two civs the game is basically over, since their fleet will always at least double mine, even if I put every single cent/energy I have into making ships. I've played a civ that focused on science but their ships were just as good as mine. I've played a civ that focused on military but they still had more ships than mine. Their fleet designs use at least two of the basic types at once so I can't counter them, and I can't even trust any info on which weapons are good/useless since the game's been patched so much. I've tried just about everything I can think of but every single time I find myself forced to play stupid, annoying tricks with the AI to even stand a chance, with one tiny mistake meaning total annihilation. It's frustrating the hell out of me.

Part of the problem might be that I'm playing on hyperlane only, so fleets warping directly on top of one another is a common occurrence and those fights are basically winner-take-all. But I feel like enough people play that mode that this can't be the only problem here.
You wait until the 22nd of Feb when cherryh completely revamps combat for these exact issues.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Baronjutter posted:

yeah they were using some old version without the new jump drives and some other features were also missing or not in their latest iteration I think. they did answer a lot of questions about claims and wars and how the new war exhaustion mechanic will work though which was pretty interesting. watch it if you have time I'd say, it's in their twitch videos, but if not here's the short of it, let's see if I get it right:

War exhaustion replaces war score and is affected by how well the war goes for you but it also "ticks" up over time as the war goes on. When a side reaches 100% exhaustion the war will end and depending on what claims have been made by both sides and who occupies what the victor gets the spoils. Like before wars are followed by a period of truce. Settling the conflict before war exhaustion takes over takes into account the claims made and what is occupied as well so if you claim a whole bunch of systems, kick their fleets rear end but can't actually occupy the stuff you claimed the enemy will likely not cede it to you.

war exhaustion does not affect pop happiness or productivity and such.

endgame crises aren't affected by war exhaustion, scourge and unbidden are simply hostile with no actual war declared.

this is the part I'm the least sure about but from what I understood purifiers, devouring swarms and exterminators are also affected by war exhaustion but the difference is they have automatic casus belli to declare war - I think Wiz put it like "Today is a good day for some purifyin'!"

aaaand stuff about gateways/wormholes plus showing off the effects of the sliders and let's just say holy smoke to that, there were 3 gateways and 2 wormholes within like 5-8 systems away from the starting position at maximum settings. hyperlane density I guess everyone has seen least to most?

probably forgetting a bunch :)

turn off the TV posted:

Pretty hosed up that Paradox is still releasing new day one DLC for CK2 six years later.

what's even more hosed up is they just sit there! the whole dev team for CK2 just sit on their swedish asses eating baby potatoes, pickled herring and janssons frestelse drinking large helpings of schnapps and lots of cheap imported beer and not a line of code written in 6 years and yet they twist their customers arms into buying these "new" DLCs!

*buys every new DLC anyway*

Martout fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 31, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Pigbuster posted:

ultimately if the ai has 2 fleets the same size as your 1 fleet, you either lose or rely on jank to save the day.

so the real answer is to get allies, and work on improving your economy game

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ugh there's a star called Covfefe. I don't really need to be reminded that that poo poo exists when I'm playing Stellaris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Shibawanko posted:

Ugh there's a star called Covfefe. I don't really need to be reminded that that poo poo exists when I'm playing Stellaris.

Then your new goal is to capture and rename it! What, you mean it's inside the territory of your bestest of best friend butterfly people? Who cares, death to the butterflies.

• Locked thread