Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I'd like some opinions on the games that are on sale right now:

No Man's Sky - Yes, I know, but I do greatly enjoy crafting and survival games and from what I've seen this one has that in spades.

The Last Guardian - Will definitely buy this one, I'd just like to know how playable it is on a Non-Pro. I heard a lot about its framerate when it came out but I didn't pay much attention because I didn't have a Ps4.

Killzone Shadowfall - Never played a Killzone, it's some kind of futurist FPS, right? Pretty drat cheap so I might as well try unless it's absolute garbage.

InFamous Second Son - Also never played an InFamous, it's like Prototype but you're more heroic? Also pretty cheap.

InFamous First Light - I suppose if I buy Second Son I might as well get this one too.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - I greatly enjoyed this one on the Ps2 and it might be even better on a system that can handle the gameplay without slowing to a crawl but it's still at full price so I think I'll wait until the next one, unless all the games I cited before are worse combined than this one alone.

I second Infamous and the First Light DLC. It holds up pretty well for a near launch title. I picked up Killzone at launch and bounced off it super hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Killzone plays like a game that only exists because of contractual obligations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Killzone Shadowfall is one of my favorite shooters and an amazing launch game. Most people don’t agree with me though. Does it hold up? Maybe? For the price I would say it’s well worth it if you like meaty feeling slower paced shooters.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will play Killzone at some point because I wish to be more amazed that those responsible for Killzone are also responsible for my top 5th game of all time Horizon Zero Dawn!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samuringa posted:

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir - I greatly enjoyed this one on the Ps2 and it might be even better on a system that can handle the gameplay without slowing to a crawl but it's still at full price so I think I'll wait until the next one, unless all the games I cited before are worse combined than this one alone.

Lefithrasir is far and away superior to the original in every respect and well worth playing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I will play Killzone at some point because I wish to be more amazed that those responsible for Killzone are also responsible for my top 5th game of all time Horizon Zero Dawn!

The fact they eventually made Horizon is CRAZY to me. The KZ games are like the most generic shooters ever made.
It'd be like if the Flappy Bird guy made Half-Life

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Killzone plays like a game that only exists because of contractual obligations.

This was literally the case for Killzone Shadowfall as Sony had already greenlit Horizon Zero Dawn but Guerrilla wanted to build their proprietary engine for the PS4 before starting work on it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Is xcom2 vanilla installed? If it is rebuild databases

Nope, that didn't do it. I've XCOM 2 on disc, if that matters.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://youtu.be/4q0jcSUDjac

:catstare: one of the things I overlooked was that a benefit of the additional horsepower in the PS4/PS4 Pro is gonna be the camera zooming out and showing how colossal these colossi are.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Nope, that didn't do it. I've XCOM 2 on disc, if that matters.

are you sure you've got both from the same region?

FAUXTON posted:

https://youtu.be/4q0jcSUDjac

:catstare: one of the things I overlooked was that a benefit of the additional horsepower in the PS4/PS4 Pro is gonna be the camera zooming out and showing how colossal these colossi are.

I think the original did that as well. the cutscene intro for the colossus looks identical, except for nicer graphics.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Attitude Indicator posted:

are you sure you've got both from the same region?

I think the original did that as well. the cutscene intro for the colossus looks identical, except for nicer graphics.

The combat seems like the camera pulls out a lot more but tbf I'm remembering another colossus with screen-filling masses of fur to climb up in the original.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This guy playing the PS2 version looks about the same (starts at 3:00). It only seems a little tighter because it's 4:3.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Samuringa posted:

No Man's Sky - Yes, I know, but I do greatly enjoy crafting and survival games and from what I've seen this one has that in spades.

The Last Guardian - Will definitely buy this one, I'd just like to know how playable it is on a Non-Pro. I heard a lot about its framerate when it came out but I didn't pay much attention because I didn't have a Ps4.

Killzone Shadowfall - Never played a Killzone, it's some kind of futurist FPS, right? Pretty drat cheap so I might as well try unless it's absolute garbage.

InFamous Second Son - Also never played an InFamous, it's like Prototype but you're more heroic? Also pretty cheap.

InFamous First Light - I suppose if I buy Second Son I might as well get this one too.

Infamous sucks, haven't played any of the others

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

haveblue posted:

This guy playing the PS2 version looks about the same (starts at 3:00). It only seems a little tighter because it's 4:3.

The aspect ratio must be it, then :v:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Can't wait to do my sweet pro moves on the colossi, like the jump stab. Does full damage without having to charge up but puts you at greater risk of falling off.

And I'm gonna enjoy grabbing an eagle and getting flown around while looking at the updated graphics. :allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Digital Foundry guys did an extensive tech review of the remaster including differences between base hardware and the Pro, if you're into that kind of thing.

I like how John can't even hide what a huge SotC fanboy he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMkcZ6z1Ww

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The original SotC is one of the small number of PS2 games that can be set to 16:9 so I can confirm that it has always pulled out that distance.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Samuringa posted:

No Man's Sky is actually really good, and the patches it's received since launch have added a ton of things to do in the game, the most recent being a completely revamped story line, new planet and ship types and simple online interactions. There's another patch on the horizon as well that should be adding more to the multiplayer side, but no one knows anything about it yet. The games biggest weakness right now though is that there's no real ground combat besides sentinels and the ground combat hasn't really received the kind of love other areas of the game have recieved so far in its post launch support.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

...! posted:

The original SotC is one of the small number of PS2 games that can be set to 16:9 so I can confirm that it has always pulled out that distance.

Well then my brain's just shot then lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I thought SotC was one of the very first PS2 games to have a 720i or 1080i rendering mode, but I think I just misremembered and it was the 16:9 aspect ratio that was special. Graphics were mindblowing back in the day and when I think about it, probably my first introduction into the pure visual glory that would one day become known as TressFX.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The fact they eventually made Horizon is CRAZY to me. The KZ games are like the most generic shooters ever made.
It'd be like if the Flappy Bird guy made Half-Life

They (Guerilla Games) also made Battle Engine Aquila, which was one of my favourite PS2 demos, jumping around in a giant spider and shooting giant guns was really fun. I don't know how the full game turned ouy, though.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/958712525314379777

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
End of an era.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Our long national nightmare is over

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This will be good cross-promotion for the hidden Knack colossus they put in the SotC remake.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Our long national nightmare is over has just begun

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

why the gently caress did I pay for a year of PS+ :smithicide:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Infamous sucks, haven't played any of the others

Infamous is good, actually, though First Light is better for being a little more condensed.

:siren: :siren:
:siren: :siren:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow it finally happened

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Time to celebrate everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5yWDPGfbUc

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't understand why MHW has two independent ways to enter games already in progress. It's dividing multiplayer requests in a weird way for no good reason I can see.

What do you mean, SOS Requests and and Join Mission? Because they're very different, unless you're talking about some other way.

Guys MHW is so good.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will get to play Knack! :D It was down to £4 the other day, which led me to believe that it would be PS Plus very shortly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got it for £5 some time last year

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good, with advance warning there's still time to cancel Plus

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

haveblue posted:

Good, with advance warning there's still time to cancel Plus

Mods?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The thread title was precipitous. Thanks to y'all, we did it!

Now I can get my Knack platinum. knackinum.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

With Knack finally arriving on PS+ we have all paid money for it now, in a sense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Prophecy fulfilled.

That's actually a good lineup. I don't have either of those and will probably play both.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I was considering buying Rime, so that works out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm super looking forward to playing Rime!