Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Cystoids are very easy to deal with if you think outside the box.

Youre not supposed to be shooting them with guns all the time. The Gloo gun and nerf gun both get the main thing to blow up, and gives the little dudes it spawns something to chase so they kill themselves on it.

You can also just pick up a box and chuck it at them. That was my go-to strategy at least. But I also invested in strength so I could pick things up and block or unblock doorways. Being able to throw things at dudes to conserve ammo was fun. I don't disagree that the enemy designs got kind of lame and repetetive? At least they delayed revealing all the enemy types in ways that were interesting. The psychic and tech guys spooked me for a good while because you never got a good solid chance to just be like "Oh, it's that guy I'll just zap him" or whatever until near the end of the game. Only time you saw them before that was like your first time in space where it was a surprise and suddenly you were being shot. Mimics I thought were always fun. Phantoms were kind of boring though and having like four variations of them felt unnecessary. It seems like we could have had a different type of humanoid enemy entirely?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The main issue with DSP isn't being bad at video games- I'M bad at video games- but that he's a very poor sport. The videos I see of him are all of him calling anyone who beats him a motherfucking scrub who uses cheap online tactics because the game's online sucks, or when he's doing a single player game he'll find some excuse for why he's not doing better.

There are definitely times when the hate-community seems just a bit excessive- it's not like he's a guy with power or influence or anything, so it's the ultimate form of punching down- but the guy does not make it easy for himself.
I liked watching the three souls related "this is how you don't play" videos so that's basically all I know about him aside from the various internet drama that spills around and I think the best moment that sums him up is in the Demons Souls one where between takes he grinds to max level, still can't beat the game and when he has to fight a PVP boss accuses the guy of cheating and disconnects because he can't win. The guy he was matched with was a lower level than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jukebox Hero posted:

Are you seriously white-knighting DS fuckin' P, the man so dumb he jacked off on stream without noticing he left the camera on? DarkSyde "not racist!" Phil, who spent 15+ hours going "sucky sucky duck sauce!" every time he punched somebody in Sleeping Dogs?

Also- he beat 2 pro fighting game players at A GAME NONE OF THEM HAD EVER loving PLAYED. He beat them on the ps1 port that adapted the Sega Saturn version of the arcade game he told them they were going to be playing; AND THEN HE NEVER MENTIONED THAT TO ANYBODY ELSE IF HE COULD AVOID IT.
It's like beating a professional poker player at loving checkers and declaring yourself the King of Games to anybody who will listen; he's telling a bullshit version of events to make himself look good.

Phil haters can definitely get pretty over the top but don't act like that dude is not a real loving piece of work, and he gets paid to act like that.

Also; "dozens of hours of footage?" Dude he can't go five seconds without burping into the microphone, calling the main character a retard/bitch depending on gender, and accusing the developer of being a pervert while he tries to look up a girl's skirt in-game, you've clearly never even seen a DSP video.

You just repeated my post only in a lot more words.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh yeah, it's programmed like poo poo, and nobody has any incentive to make it better. What's more disappointing is the lack of good Minecraft-likes all these years later.

The Dragon Quest builders demo is one of the first decent ones I've played. I pick up an item, and now I know everything I can make with that item, and it's easy to do. I bought Minecraft for the switch and was like "This will finally let me enjoy the game" and holy poo poo I think literally every button opens up a new menu that's confusing to navigate and I've got about 8 minutes played total in it.

Guy Mann posted:

He also has a ton of videos where he tries to pick fights with big Youtubers to get himself more famous.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Futuresight posted:

They are boring enemies after the first few times you see them though. And they remain frustrating because you gotta spam em with the rear end gloo gun (cool concept, poo poo as an actual weapon) or throw poo poo at them to blow them up and they don't always co-operate. A number of times I was sat floating in zero g trying to blow up the last 2-3 of the fuckers so I could move on. They're not fun. None of the enemies in Prey are fun, no matter how easy their gimmicks are.

The nerf gun takes care of them so easily I thought that it was bugged in some way. I just started tagging all of the nests with nerf darts and letting the swarm kill itself and its nest.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jukebox Hero posted:

Also- he beat 2 pro fighting game players at A GAME NONE OF THEM HAD EVER loving PLAYED. He beat them on the ps1 port that adapted the Sega Saturn version of the arcade game he told them they were going to be playing; AND THEN HE NEVER MENTIONED THAT TO ANYBODY ELSE IF HE COULD AVOID IT.
It's like beating a professional poker player at loving checkers and declaring yourself the King of Games to anybody who will listen; he's telling a bullshit version of events to make himself look good.

Don't forget, he didn't really "win" anything in the way he likes to pretend, he came in 4th behind three JP players and turned it into a "DA BES SUPAH TURBO PLAYER (IN AMERICA)" thing, which knowing his other quirks, probably came from both being a huge sore loser and more than a little racist to diminish the other guys achievements.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Imagine caring about youtube gaming personalities

Can you imagine anything worse than that

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Caring that other people care?

Anyway, Destiny 2 is broken. Like, just completely hosed and it really drags that game down. Bungie released a patch today to decrease various things like how much exp it takes to earn a bright engram, or the cost of certain items. Instead, the patch accidentally doubled those things. This same patch apparently broke raid rewards. Player base has dropped off so hard the PVP has become a nightmare because the only people left playing it are the turbo nerds who do nothing but play it. I think Bungie is cursed because every time they touch the game they just make it worse and worse.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Guy Mann posted:

Actually I said what actually happened, you said a chopped down, uninformed version that was mostly about how cool you are that you don't understand the situation or anybody involved, and how people who care about things are stupid or whatever.

You can't invoke IM SO COOL I WOULD NEVER KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS NERD poo poo and then act like you're a scholar on the subject, that doesn't make any sense.

So what is it? Are you a nerd who's here to talk about weird video game poo poo, or are you just here to brag about not knowing things? I mean, not knowing things isn't very cool but you're proud of not knowing what you're talking about for some reason...

Thing Dragging Down Bioshock Infinite: Why did they cut it down to such limited powers? As far as I can tell, there's no reason to ever use anything other than the crows plus fireball or lightning because that makes a giant AOE damage field.

I wish they'd actually had time to finish this game; I hate Elizabeth and find pretty much every sequence about trying to make you like her more to be quite unbearable. I'm glad they didn't sexualize her in the main game, but in the DLCs they just ruin her as completely as they can.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jukebox Hero posted:

they didn't sexualize her in the main game

You sure about that?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jukebox Hero posted:

Thing Dragging Down Bioshock Infinite: Why did they cut it down to such limited powers? As far as I can tell, there's no reason to ever use anything other than the crows plus fireball or lightning because that makes a giant AOE damage field.

Nah, it was all about Charge, with the upgrade the refilled your shields every time you did it. And also the gear thingies that gave you health and magic on melee kills, and caused enemies to take double damage after a melee hit (charge counted as melee). But yeah first you fireball THEN charge because they explode like that too. And I guess a shotgun too if that still didn't do the trick.

why yes, I DID play vanguard in mass effect, why do you ask?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Being a youtube gaming personality.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Minecraft has a lot of strangely punishing elements like the hunger system considering how casual the rest of the game plays.

It’s like you can spend an hour doing basically nothing challenging then get instantly killed by something stupid, as far as I know there isn’t a lot of effort put into balancing the game at all.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Minecraft has a lot of strangely punishing elements like the hunger system considering how casual the rest of the game plays.

It’s like you can spend an hour doing basically nothing challenging then get instantly killed by something stupid, as far as I know there isn’t a lot of effort put into balancing the game at all.

As far as I can tell, Minecraft was 'balanced' by just adding more and more stuff until Notch got bored of it: there's no balance because nobody who has ever owned the IP has had an interest in balancing it. Does Mojang still own it? I heard it was in their clutches last.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Mojang still has it but Microsoft owns Mojang and Notch cashed out while screwing his former employees.

Mojang seem mostly concerned with porting Minecraft to new platforms than polishing it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Minecraft feels unfinished for a game that's been out for so long. Every open world loving-around game is miles ahead of minecraft in every respect. Well duh you're supposed to mod it, but the mods are poo poo too thanks to the interface. It's like neopets.

Also for some dumb reason it's axes are XZ for cardinal directions with Y for height.

I hate this game

I mean for fucks sake you're supposed to navigate via debug window.

Vic has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Jan 31, 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So he thought that the X,Y,Z co-ordinates were like a graph and not like a map. That's... Notch lived a very sheltered life and had never been camping or learned how to read a map?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Literally half the games industry uses Y instead of Z for up in 3D engines. It’s one of those dumb programmer arguments, like whether { should be on a new line in code.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's not how you would do it in a graph either https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/z-axis

You use z to describe depth and for loving notch going deep means going south.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's because he's a programmer and not a map designer. He started the developing the game looking forward, not looking down at the ground, which is why it is that way. It's inconsequential.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It depends on what you’re doing, and how you think which you think is better. Many coders started in 2D and many others work in rendering, both of which prefer to use Z as distance from a camera looking at the horizon. Level Designers and gameplay coders usually think in terms of maps, which are top down, and prefer Z to be upwards.

In the end it’s just a convention, and the choice you make is utterly arbitrary.

Fake edit: beaten

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Morpheus posted:

It's because he's a programmer and not a map designer. He started the developing the game looking forward, not looking down at the ground, which is why it is that way. It's inconsequential.

It's not inconsequential because as I said you have to navigate that poo poo using a debug console. But yeah gently caress logic when I move my mouse up it's Y axis so...

Gerblyn posted:

It depends on what you’re doing, and how you think which you think is better. Many coders started in 2D and many others work in rendering, both of which prefer to use Z as distance from a camera looking at the horizon. Level Designers and gameplay coders usually think in terms of maps, which are top down, and prefer Z to be upwards.

Z is depth. Therefore if you're talking about the camera yes it can rotate left/right (X) up down (Y) and forward/back (Z) when you're talking about position of that camera on a plane you work with a different set of XYZ coordinates.

The conventions are there because when you say Z axis for map position or Z axis of the viewport I'll know what you're talking about. Except in minecraft that piece of poo poo game.

Vic has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Jan 31, 2018

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, for example Maya and Unity use Y=up while Blender has Z=up.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

It's not inconsequential because as I said you have to navigate that poo poo using a debug console. But yeah gently caress logic when I move my mouse up it's Y axis so...

Half the planet has the exact same problem as you, the other half has that problem when Z is up. You seem to think your way is inherently correct in some way, and it simply isn’t. We can argue about it all day, but in the end there’s no right answer here, just a replay of a silly argument that’s been going on since 3D software was first developed.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mazerunner posted:

Nah, it was all about Charge, with the upgrade the refilled your shields every time you did it. And also the gear thingies that gave you health and magic on melee kills, and caused enemies to take double damage after a melee hit (charge counted as melee). But yeah first you fireball THEN charge because they explode like that too. And I guess a shotgun too if that still didn't do the trick.

why yes, I DID play vanguard in mass effect, why do you ask?

I also played Bioshock Infinite like that, and it was pretty fun. For the last 1/3rd-at-best of the game I actually had all of the stuff I needed to make any sort of a build work.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Perestroika posted:

Being a youtube gaming personality.

Touché.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm playing Final Fantasy X while correcting people on the internet as you do, and noticed something weird. In the Al Bhed city, the ambient track contains some guy shouting "THAT'S ANNOYING HUH!" on repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uERx-AFEBA

I think I'm going crazy it's been 30 minutes of this

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Uh, that's amore!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

he's actually saying "Ajanouha Ihtan", which means "Everyone under" in El Bhed apparently

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Al Bhed was hilarious because it's spoken dialogue based on a simple substitution cipher that results in a lot of gibberish jumbles of consonants.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2:

Ultimate finish!

you did not get the skill you wanted because even though everything was perfect, rng says "no". hope you like fighting beerus before he kills incredibly-low-health majin buu for two minutes (because after two minutes a portal opens that he rushes to, to get to the next area where the next allies are sure to be murdered as soon as you get there so if you cant super vanishing ball him to death by then, lol get hosed reset nerd), and then fighting whis who for some reason has four bars of health and ridiculously high defense.

it shouldnt take me four hours to get the candy beam, gently caress you dimps, gently caress you for having one hundred parallel quests and a ton of skills to get from most of the missions that you might have to keep repeating, even though some of them drag on for SO long for skills that might not even be worth it. but how would you know if it's worth it or not? i guess you can go to training, hunt down the character that has the skill you want to get, and test it out that way. i just want barack obama to be able to kaioken and hit the god of destruction with the super spirit bomb.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The signal system in Railway Empire is a complete unintelligible mess that will seize to function at any time for reasons that are never clear. The worst is that it is the only thing the game has that even resembles depth and if you remove it there is virtually no challenge.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I prefer 1upt, honestly, but that's more because I always found it incredibly annoying to manage the stack of doom.

See, the #1 reason why I prefer the Stack of Doom is because I only had to deal with one path. Stack goes from A to B to C to the endpoint that I specifically built the Stack to get to because I was done being a Builder and it was time to take poo poo over and revert to Builderism afterwards.

One unit per tile meant that every units path to something locks it off for the others.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Ark had some really fun ideas but its online system is a complete mess and 99% of public servers are straight up unplayable because they're all owned by groups that just roam the island eating every structure and making sure no player can make it past stone tier. Because it was totally a good idea to introduce a dinosaur that can eat stone.

Someone dig up that post from the griefing thread from the goons who Mongol horded their way through a couple established guilds

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Someone dig up that post from the griefing thread from the goons who Mongol horded their way through a couple established guilds

I thought that's one of the pulls for those games. It's that EVE mentality

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy Mann posted:

Al Bhed was hilarious because it's spoken dialogue based on a simple substitution cipher that results in a lot of gibberish jumbles of consonants.

Vowels are substituted for vowels, so at least it's not as bad as it could be (there's a vowel in every word at least)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Here's the real hosed-up bit: Because the FFX translation process was insane, they had to make the English voiced lines fit perfectly into the space of the original Japanese or else the game would crash. That's why some characters have weirdly clipped ways of speaking - the Japanese "hai" takes fewer frames than the English "yes," so if a character just responded with "hai" they couldn't translate it as "yes." If they did, the game would crash.

But then you have Al Bhed. So not only did they have to translate the English lines in insane ways, but they had to translate the Al Bhed lines so that, with the spoken cipher, they would not only translate back to English in a coherent way that effectively conveyed the original dialogue, but also fit into the extremely tight timing in Al Bhed. Think about what an insane translation feat that is. They had to write English lines based on vowel and consonant sounds that would be timed completely different, then find a way to backwards-engineer poo poo to make sense.

The fact that FFX made it into English at all is incredible, let alone in a way that was coherent and allowed you to follow the story. This is why you should never make fun of the very weird writing in FFX.

Edit: Oh, and they also had to make the lines roughly fit the lip movements in addition to the time. They couldn't change that. So they were even limited in what specific syllables they could use in Al Bhed, and it still had to form a coherent English thought.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

Essentially, it came down to having to rewrite the script to fit not just the lips, but also very, very strict length considerations. We had been aware of that when we were working on the original translation, but we didn’t realize how serious they were about not having the English voices go over the length of the Japanese voices at any point. Because the way that the game engine was triggering sound files was tied into the same system that it was using to trigger action on the screen, so if you had a sound file that went overboard by even half a second, it could throw off the entire scene and you could get a crash.

[W]hen it became clear that a lot of the script had been written roughly to length, but nowhere near as tightly to length as it needed to be... you’ve got to have a line in 2.3 seconds, you can’t write a three-second line for that, or a 3.5-second line. It has to be a two-second line. And it makes a really big difference, and when you get to five seconds and six seconds, you can start compressing the files a little bit and tweak the length without making it sound too strange. So, there’s a lot of rewriting for that, and of course, all of the well-articulated lip scenes, which were many in Final Fantasy X, had to be completely rewritten so the lines fit the lips.

Read more.

Bonus:

quote:

It’s an entirely different skill set from translation, because you’re rewriting to very, very unusual constraints. "I have to end this line with a vowel sound." That kind of constraint. It’s a bit like poetry, or trying to write a haiku, because you have X number of syllables, and in the middle you’ve got to have some really rapid lip flaps, and in the end, you’ve got to end with an open mouth. And so, just learning all that and how to write those scripts and how to write lines that end in a vowel and don’t end with "You know" every time, because that’s an easy one. I think Rikku got her little, "You know—" she ends a lot of lines with "You know." And that was just sort of a, "Well, we’ve got to do something, and that can just be her thing, a vocal tic for her."

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
gently caress you Golf Story. I really want to like you, but I can't. A golf game wrapped in an RPG setting sounds like the last game I should ever need. But it just loving sucks. The golf mechanics are fine and I really like how top/back spin works as opposed to Mario Golf, but just ugh. I have to go through so much crap just to play a round of golf. Yeah, I know it has Story in its name and it's supposed to be more than just a golf simulator, but everything else aside from the golf just completely sucks. The quests are dumb, the writing is boring and tries to be clever but just fails every time. There's an old man that talks to you forever, joking about how old people talk to you forever and waste your time. It's like that sewer bullshit in Deadpool. Haha, isn't this poo poo when it happens in games? We're making you do it while we nod and smile and agree that it sucks. How loving clever.

Why do I have to do frisbee golf to move the story forward? I didn't buy a game called frisbee golf, or bounce off turtles golf or whatever other stupid poo poo you can throw my way. This entire game feels like it has Dragon Quest style storytelling and it doesn't really work. I get what this game was trying to do, but I don't think it succeeded at all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Edit: Oh, and they also had to make the lines roughly fit the lip movements in addition to the time. They couldn't change that. So they were even limited in what specific syllables they could use in Al Bhed, and it still had to form a coherent English thought.

The lip thing is also why Auron's basically the only main character who has almost no major weird hosed up "But I wanted to see it... withyunabymyside" sort of moments IIRC. Because his mouth isn't visible for like 90% of his lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

The fact that FFX made it into English at all is incredible, let alone in a way that was coherent and allowed you to follow the story. This is why you should never make fun of the very weird writing in FFX.

...But you should make fun of the Japanese game companies, who still keep designing games for Japanese-only audiences, and keep painting themselves into corners like this. Literally everyone else in the world has no problems making text-switching or video dubbing work, but I guess thats just the way the dishonorable bignose foreigners do so they cannot do that.