Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

why even have a star system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

As there a way of getting the English Shin Megami Tensei game’s back on iOS or are those off the market now? I need something to do at work that isn’t work.

I bought a copy a couple of months ago in my old rear end iPad but I couldn't find it on the App Store, I had to search for it in Google to get to the iTunes page and get it from there:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shin-megami-tensei-eng/id804069802?mt=8

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you guys know if SMT ever had a trading card game of some kind?

Yes, there was.

Fun fact, as for now, Queen Frost is exclusive of the TCG.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Petiso posted:

Fun fact, as for now, Queen Frost is exclusive of the TCG.

She was in the Devil Children games/manga/anime. :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I am genuinely surprised they haven't recycled that piece of artwork for one of their 3DS games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I now have yet another stupid gacha game on my phone.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I played the mobile game for a bit. It's fun but the gacha is kind of poo poo and it's pretty daunting if you aren't decent with Japanese or so overly familiar with the series' abilities that you could play the games nearly blind. There were some daily challenges I couldn't ever figure out :shrug: I recently uninstalled it. If there's a global release I'll get all up in that again, though. I'll totally be re-rolling for Mara.

However, I'm here to post about SMT IV. I've been playing through it and I just cleared the forest bit and murdered the main character's BFF. A few of the systems are annoying, I really hate the encounter system for example, but it's grown on me. I keep hearing that there's like an early bad ending you can get? What's the deal with that if anyone can just give me the gist of when in the story it hits. I ask mostly because I've also been stupidly trying to stay neutral while focusing on luck just so I can unlock one of the fiends ASAP :shepface: because someone told me how absurdly specific you had to play to get it. Unless they were just taking the piss.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The early bad ending is very obvious. You'll be in a forest place with your faction's representative and you'll be given a choice, of which one option obviously leads to a bad end.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Also, as far as the alignment things goes, it depends what you mean by "absurdly specific", but the alignment range that counts as Neutral is very narrow. In fact, it's so narrow that if your alignment is perfectly neutral at the time you make the final alignment decision in the game, you'll unavoidably end up blowing out into Law or Chaos. So you don't necessarily have to make one specific set of choices, but you do have to be very careful about monitoring your alignment. If you don't want to use a guide every step of the way, the easiest and safest way to end up in Neutral is probably to aim to stay right on the border between Neutral/Law or Neutral/Chaos for most of the game, and then swing the other way at the very end.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Picking the top option at every dialogue choice (that isn't in the middle of a boss fight) ensures that you'll end up in the ideal spot for the Neutral route after doing the approx. million sidequests needed on top of that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Picking the top option at every dialogue choice (that isn't in the middle of a boss fight) ensures that you'll end up in the ideal spot for the Neutral route after doing the approx. million sidequests needed on top of that.

Cool, I've mostly been doing that anyway to keep balanced. I guess I'll keep doing it and hope I didn't gently caress up.

Thuryl posted:

Also, as far as the alignment things goes, it depends what you mean by "absurdly specific", but the alignment range that counts as Neutral is very narrow. In fact, it's so narrow that if your alignment is perfectly neutral at the time you make the final alignment decision in the game, you'll unavoidably end up blowing out into Law or Chaos. So you don't necessarily have to make one specific set of choices, but you do have to be very careful about monitoring your alignment. If you don't want to use a guide every step of the way, the easiest and safest way to end up in Neutral is probably to aim to stay right on the border between Neutral/Law or Neutral/Chaos for most of the game, and then swing the other way at the very end.

"Absurdly Specific" in this case means I need 100 luck and to be neutral to get red rider? I should probably have just said who and what because I don't think anyone still cares about that kind of spoiler. I sure don't. I'm basically just trying to unlock what I can this first run through.

Saagonsa posted:

The early bad ending is very obvious. You'll be in a forest place with your faction's representative and you'll be given a choice, of which one option obviously leads to a bad end.
Neat, hopefully that's after the red rider thing.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Also it's not all that "early" or anything, it just cuts out the final dungeon or a bit more depending on the alignment path

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You can check your alignment from roughly the mid-point of the game. There's an NPC who you can talk to in pretty much all the major areas of the game who will give you an indication of where you fall. It's not precise or anything, but it gives you an idea.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nuebot posted:

"Absurdly Specific" in this case means I need 100 luck and to be neutral to get red rider? I should probably have just said who and what because I don't think anyone still cares about that kind of spoiler. I sure don't. I'm basically just trying to unlock what I can this first run through.

So, Fiends in IV are unlocked like in Strange Journey by doing a violence on them whenever they appear (rarely). The way THAT is done was just stolen from the way Fiends worked from SMT1 basically. They have a 1/256 chance of spawning on one screen (though Burroughs will let you know when you enter if they're even gonna be there or not).

Fortunately, in this case, your friend was not entirely memeing you. The screen where Red Rider appears is indeed only on the Neutral route behind a locked door that requires 100 Luck to open.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
how's the mobile game's music

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

So, Fiends in IV are unlocked like in Strange Journey by doing a violence on them whenever they appear (rarely). The way THAT is done was just stolen from the way Fiends worked from SMT1 basically. They have a 1/256 chance of spawning on one screen (though Burroughs will let you know when you enter if they're even gonna be there or not).

Fortunately, in this case, your friend was not entirely memeing you. The screen where Red Rider appears is indeed only on the Neutral route behind a locked door that requires 100 Luck to open.

I unlocked david so that's good I guess. Punked that skeleton with a deerfish that kept smirking. Is it just me or is the smirk status the dumbest addition to this game? If an enemy gets it you might as well just reload the game. But if you get it, you're basically just invincible for a turn. But oh boy, guess I better hope I stay neutral so all this luck doesn't go to waste.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nuebot posted:

I unlocked david so that's good I guess. Punked that skeleton with a deerfish that kept smirking. Is it just me or is the smirk status the dumbest addition to this game? If an enemy gets it you might as well just reload the game. But if you get it, you're basically just invincible for a turn. But oh boy, guess I better hope I stay neutral so all this luck doesn't go to waste.
Smirk is kind of overpowered, but it only lasts 1 turn. They did make some changes to it for SMT IV: Apocalypse.

Also just a reminder, if you want to get on the Neutral path then "staying Neutral" through the game may not be the best idea. If you end up being "too Neutral" throughout the game, you can't get the Neutral path because of how the endgame choice works.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Smirk is kind of overpowered, but it only lasts 1 turn. They did make some changes to it for SMT IV: Apocalypse.

Also just a reminder, if you want to get on the Neutral path then "staying Neutral" through the game may not be the best idea. If you end up being "too Neutral" throughout the game, you can't get the Neutral path because of how the endgame choice works.

Yeah I'm following that guy's advice of just clicking the top choices from here on out. Maybe I'll try to math it out or something with a guide. I just unlocked the ability to teleport to and from the place behind minotaur. All my dudes had bufu so I think I ruined whatever kind of feeling that fight was going for. He went through all of his dialogue before getting a turn.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Ha, lots of people don't like that fight.

Especially with Walter as a partner.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

David is the only Fiend in the base game that doesnt take obnoxious reloading to get since hes part of a quest, I couldnt bring myself to suffer through the absolute hell that is getting them in IV. One of the many things that is immensely improved in Apocalypse.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

how's the mobile game's music

It's alright.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Is it just me or is the smirk status the dumbest addition to this game? If an enemy gets it you might as well just reload the game. But if you get it, you're basically just invincible for a turn. But oh boy, guess I better hope I stay neutral so all this luck doesn't go to waste.

Eh, Smirk is pretty good but there's been worse mechanics before and since. What makes it really weird is that there's both Smirk and Press-Turns so it combos weirdly with itself.

Also, uh, while you're thinking of stats don't ever put points into Strength. It's a weird and dumb trap because it only affects your basic attack. Dex does everything else for physical damage. Or you could just go Magic and not care, until you realise that oh I have 300 Magic now* Agi is outdamaging Agidyne how did that happen (the answer is IV. IV is how that happened).

The Str/Dex thing is yet another thing that Final fixed, at least.

*This sounds like a lot, but it really kinda isn't. The display caps at 200 but stat caps are 999.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

From a gameplay standpoint I really cannot recommend SMT4 when SMT4A exists.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dragonatrix posted:

Agi is outdamaging Agidyne how did that happen

Hold up can you go into more detail about this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pureauthor posted:

God I've been putting that off for...well, ever since SMT4A was released.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People give Apocolypse's story poo poo for being more wordy than your traditional mainline game but I think I prefer it over 4 on most fronts at this point.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I could listen to Dagda's faux-irish growling all day.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Hold up can you go into more detail about this.

It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Once you hit 300 Magic, the "weakest" spells become the objective strongest because each tier doesn't really amount to much of an increase in base power. See, Agi/Bufu/Zio/Zan have a base power of 26 whereas the Dynes have a base power of... 70. Yeah. Seems like they should be outdamaging, right? Well technically yes but not functionally.

It doesn't actually deal straight up more damage, but because of how dumb the damage calc is, two castings of a 1st tier spell easily outdamages the respective dyne. Like, they both do in optimal scenarios ~1500 damage each. Before taking buffs/debuffs/weakness etc. into account, sure, but even then the damage is functionally identical between the two.

And I'm saying "dynes" but like compare Agi to Trisagion (base power 100). Optimally, Trisagion outdamages Agi by a whopping 80 points of damage. It's really dumb.

edit: I don't know why exactly this happens, but it's an easily observable thing and it's really, really dumb. Not quite as dumb as Nocturne tying Luck to a bunch of mechanics and then accidentally breaking it so Luck does basically nothing, but it's up there.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 31, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pureauthor posted:

I totally understand this opinion. Especially with all the QOL improvements brought forth by Apocalypse.

However, I still find Apocalypse so darn toothless in comparison to IV. Also, Tsukiji Hongwanji and YHWH's "Domain/Universe" are straight-up awful horseshit dungeons and can go gently caress themselves (I know IV had teleport/door maze dungeons and the roguelike-ish Domains, but they were nowhere near as bad as Tsukiji and YHWH's Crib).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pureauthor posted:

I could listen to Dagda's faux-irish growling all day.
I recently played Shin Megami Tensei IV Final and, while Dagda Aznable (Red-Haired Dagda? :crossarms:) is certainly awesome, I actually liked Dagda better in the English dub.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Eh, Smirk is pretty good but there's been worse mechanics before and since. What makes it really weird is that there's both Smirk and Press-Turns so it combos weirdly with itself.

Also, uh, while you're thinking of stats don't ever put points into Strength. It's a weird and dumb trap because it only affects your basic attack. Dex does everything else for physical damage. Or you could just go Magic and not care, until you realise that oh I have 300 Magic now* Agi is outdamaging Agidyne how did that happen (the answer is IV. IV is how that happened).

The Str/Dex thing is yet another thing that Final fixed, at least.

*This sounds like a lot, but it really kinda isn't. The display caps at 200 but stat caps are 999.

:eyepop: I've been putting 3 in luck, one in mag and one in STR. I've been such a fool I guess? I'll swap that STR point to dex for a bit to even some poo poo out and then just load it into MAG. My dude mostly has support skills because it's nice to have some super cheap ~kaja and ~kundas to throw out while everyone else just blasts fools for more press turns.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait what's this about luck being broke in Nocturne?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Wait what's this about luck being broke in Nocturne?

Oh, sorry, I was misremembering a bit. It's not so much that it's broken per se so much as it is that it doesn't affect anything really. It requires actually patching the game to a Hardtype hack to make Luck actually do things.

E; So I guess technically it works as intended, but the intention is for it to be oddly useless for once. Go figure.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 1, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So why does this bartender charge me 100 money to heal when I can walk like ten steps to a teleport and go back to my free full heal?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So why does this bartender charge me 100 money to heal when I can walk like ten steps to a teleport and go back to my free full heal?

you can ask the same thing in a lot of games tbh

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nuebot posted:

Capitalism

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can ask the same thing in a lot of games tbh

I guess? But like so many times earlier I was like "Man, I could really use some healing, game. Like, why not just bring back that lady of the lake or whatever?" but nothing and it sucked. I ran out of MP and stuff. But now I get this guy right next to a terminal. :argh:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nuebot posted:

Don't worry about it too much. Just take advantage of it while you can. You need every macca you can get.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

Don't worry about it too much. Just take advantage of it while you can. You need every macca you can get.

I have bought absolutely zero armor or weapon upgrades. :shepface: can I get a demonica in this game? Do I have to murder the black samurai to steal hers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
its been a long time since i played 4 but i remember the armor mostly being used for resists rather then actual defense, so i wouldn't worry as much about that