Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
If he stands his ground, there might be a chance his records stay. If he apologizes he might as well delete them all himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If Activision really got photo proof of the 5.51 it was likely a lovely photo where the 7 looked like a 1 6 looked like a 5, in a 5.61 run. Well either that or he took a polaroid of a 1 digit and glued it to his TV over where the 7 (or 9) would show up. Or glued some green and black poo poo to the TV to force a 6 to look like a 5. Photos were not high quality back then, it'd be easy to just use physical alteration of the scene to fake a record like that.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 31, 2018

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
^
E: Just use an expo marker and scribble on the TV screen, the graphics are lovely enough nobody would notice

Renegret posted:

Very classy, especially since what Narcissa did was monumentally unprofessional. Though I suppose even if ZSR did something lovely to her and deserved it, it's still real easy to the high road following a stunt like that.

As someone who had the displeasure of going through exactly what the ZSR team did, it loving sucks. They're very lucky they had exclusive control over the site data; in my case, the person who owned the domain had administrative access to the server (that I owned), and I neglected to remove it when they became idle. One day they decided they had enough and wiped everything.

We had a backup, but it's still a pain in the rear end to restore everything and make everyone aware of the new domain. No surprise that pac and the rest of the speedruns.com team got them up and running again; I talked to them many many years ago and they're decent folks.

quote:

Todd Rogers whines about his scores getting taken down
Something of a summary might be:

- There are always going to be cheaters
- Eric proving my score is fake is mean, because he should have asked me first
- I would have proved my score was real, but everyone was mean

Is that about it? My eyes glazed over when reading that mess.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rubellavator posted:

Todd's response (in pastebin form)

https://pastebin.com/ScMmaYYV

"I was totally going to do a 5.51 again but then people were mean to me so I gave up <:mad:>"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zamujasa posted:

As someone who had the displeasure of going through exactly what the ZSR team did, it loving sucks. They're very lucky they had exclusive control over the site data; in my case, the person who owned the domain had administrative access to the server (that I owned), and I neglected to remove it when they became idle. One day they decided they had enough and wiped everything.

We had a backup, but it's still a pain in the rear end to restore everything and make everyone aware of the new domain. No surprise that pac and the rest of the speedruns.com team got them up and running again; I talked to them many many years ago and they're decent folks.

I think the only legitimate reason for a hijack like that where I won't call bullshit is if it's a contractor who's client refuses to pay for a delivered website.

Otherwise it's a lovely thing to do no matter what the circumstances.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

After the most recent video, they had announced they were going to have a decision by March 1st. Something else must have happened and they're not disclosing it. All of what RTM said in that writeup he had said earlier in the thread and the other Todd dispute threads.

I think Jace very quickly realized with RTM's letter and all that the TG thing was NOT blowing over and instead we were heading in the direction of "Every score in TG is very suspect." We're honestly probably already past that point.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Considering some number of them colluded with Todd I'd say at the very least any scores those people verified are suspect, and that's like, the least of the problems

halfcoordinated
Sep 27, 2014

One hand is enough.
I got world record for HoB a couple days ago. Not expecting to keep it for long but that's neat speedrunning stuff right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJ7u2AGhxk

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

halfcoordinated posted:

I got world record for HoB a couple days ago. Not expecting to keep it for long but that's neat speedrunning stuff right?

No one wants to post about things we like we'd rather be mad about things we don't like

Rando

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

halfcoordinated posted:

Congrats!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

halfcoordinated posted:

Grats HC! Do you have any intention or interest in running Iconoclasts? I finished it a while ago and thought it was really neat and then caught your name in the credits so I got all excited to maybe see you run it :shobon:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Congratulations HC :D

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Renegret posted:

I mean I love me a good scandal as much as the next guy so I'd still like to know why Narcissa did what she did.

Not to drag this on any further but mzxrules posted a snippet of what seems like IRC logs on /r/speedrun. In short, she wasn't happy with many of the people in charge of the BotW discord (and ZSR? I'd assume so), saying they didn't even play or care about the game and just tried to exert control.

Seems she had reason to be mad, but regardless of whether or not her response was appropriate, at least it sparked a long overdue discussion about what should be done with ZSR. The site was pretty outdated in many places and the information pages probably cumbersome to update.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

tiistai posted:

Not to drag this on any further but mzxrules posted a snippet of what seems like IRC logs on /r/speedrun. In short, she wasn't happy with many of the people in charge of the BotW discord (and ZSR? I'd assume so), saying they didn't even play or care about the game and just tried to exert control.

Seems she had reason to be mad, but regardless of whether or not her response was appropriate, at least it sparked a long overdue discussion about what should be done with ZSR. The site was pretty outdated in many places and the information pages probably cumbersome to update.

Which still doesn't make it right to hijack a domain.

I unfollowed her a long time ago myself, around the time that the new Smash Brothers came out and her stream became endless Smash is boring as gently caress. I'm sad to see such a popular streamer has fallen from grace like this.

e: lol nevermind she's speedrunning botw right now so I guess she's still involved I guess, even if she hasn't submitted anything since 2014.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 31, 2018

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Oh my god stop talking about this.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
no

you're not my supervisor

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Why don't you go ask her yourself since you're so invested in continuing to post about her and stop bringing it up here

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
okay I'll stop but only if you say please

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

look if you aren't talking about LTTP rando what the gently caress are you even posting for

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
please delete stream monsters

halfcoordinated posted:

Congratulations on being trusted by butterflies faster than other people!

to post content, I'm probably gonna wind up doing runs of Celeste because it's a really good speedrun, here is the current WR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkNXddBMSto

it is and cool and very good run

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i would try celeste speedrunning if not for the ground boost tech. i dont have the dexterity for it

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Venuz Patrol posted:

i would try celeste speedrunning if not for the ground boost tech. i dont have the dexterity for it

I spent a little time the other day practicing the game and then discovered the ground boost tech for myself and went "well, that's it for me." for the same reason. It's not impossible that I could get really good with a lot of effort but the amount of effort I'd have to put in skyrockets with tech like that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaubocks posted:

look if you aren't talking about LTTP rando what the gently caress are you even posting for
honestly I don't find Keysanity even remotely enjoyable to watch and I think this tournament dominating like all the speedgaming channels is a major misstep

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

honestly I don't find Keysanity even remotely enjoyable to watch and I think this tournament dominating like all the speedgaming channels is a major misstep

as someone who loves rando

I think it's ran it's time, mostly from extreme overexposure

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Venuz Patrol posted:

Hm? It's dead easy though, it's just pressing two buttons and you don't even have to do it fast. I don't even think you want to do it fast, if you do it too fast you don't get your dash back.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:same:

Basically all LTTP rando that’s not open/standard feels really off to me in a deeply uninteresting way. Enemizer was fun to watch for like 15 minutes but after that became really dull.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Soup du Jour posted:

:same:

Basically all LTTP rando that’s not open/standard feels really off to me in a deeply uninteresting way. Enemizer was fun to watch for like 15 minutes but after that became really dull.

I think it’s because LttP Rando has been around for far longer than any of us have been paying attention (that’s certainly the case for me at least) and so the community as a whole wants to shake things up from standard Open mode races. Sucks for the rest of us because I agree, Keysanity and Exit Randomizer are just a little too inside baseball for me to really get into.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Hm? It's dead easy though, it's just pressing two buttons and you don't even have to do it fast. I don't even think you want to do it fast, if you do it too fast you don't get your dash back.

the crow in 8C implied that you have to be in the air for it to work properly, so it would be jump -> down/right dash -> immediately jump again. is there an easier way?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i also dislike keysanity. not because i can't follow it ( i can) but because individual items are diminished in importance a whole lot. a big part of randomizer for me is seeing what items are found where and how the runners route based on those items, while keysanity just de-emphasizes that a lot.

the only non-open mode i like is hell randomizer which manages to be so dumb that it rules. enemizer and keysanity bore me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

financially racist posted:

i also dislike keysanity. not because i can't follow it ( i can) but because individual items are diminished in importance a whole lot. a big part of randomizer for me is seeing what items are found where and how the runners route based on those items, while keysanity just de-emphasizes that a lot.

the only non-open mode i like is hell randomizer which manages to be so dumb that it rules. enemizer and keysanity bore me.

What's hell randomizer?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

entrance randomizer + keysanity + enemizer + music randomizer + palette randomizer

it's basically an alttp fever dream

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Venuz Patrol posted:

the crow in 8C implied that you have to be in the air for it to work properly, so it would be jump -> down/right dash -> immediately jump again. is there an easier way?

From the ground:

Dash -> TINY WAIT -> Jump.

Simple.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The air ones just make it slightly easier to regain your dash because "can i get my dash back when i touch the ground?" Is on a cooldown after you dash. They're fundamentally the same thing but for whatever reason the majority of people picking up the game are convinced they're different and want to use a extra name to refer to them.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

financially racist posted:

I enjoy playing Keysanity but I can't imagine it would be as interesting to watch for this reason. Congrats you got all the items you need to finish the game, now just... work out which dungeons you need to clear and maybe potentially hunt all over the place for the keys you need to finish. Really diminishes the tension from a viewer standpoint.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Grand Memory Clobber going well.

https://clips.twitch.tv/UgliestAdventurousHeronHumbleLife

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

You don't have to jump to start. It's just easier to get your dash back that way sometimes but you can absolutely do it grounded if you wait a little bit before jumping.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I mean, he just got it, so unironically yes :shobon:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticWiseHorseradishRiPepperonis

halfcoordinated
Sep 27, 2014

One hand is enough.
Thanks for the congrats folks!

abraxas posted:

Grats HC! Do you have any intention or interest in running Iconoclasts? I finished it a while ago and thought it was really neat and then caught your name in the credits so I got all excited to maybe see you run it :shobon:

I've done some runs of it already, but the run is a bit long and there are a ton of people working on it to the point that it's honestly hard for me to keep up in these early routing stages. I think I'll end up running a no OoB category because right now true Any% involves swimming everywhere through the walls and air.

Regardless, getting to test the game was awesome!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Considering 100+ runs without a success was the expected result, getting it in 25 runs is PJ screwing things up again! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I love the guy falling down on the side of his chat box.