Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

Just have a blank cut out and composite in whatever local markets desire: Japan can have animes, Italy can have big titted mannequins, America can have crying eagles...

Brits can have people with half their teeth missing.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Brits can have people with half their teeth missing.

Finally a job the immigrants can't steal

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Just have a blank cut out and composite in whatever local markets desire: Japan can have animes, Italy can have big titted mannequins, America can have crying eagles...

Way ahead of you;

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Seems like a good idea to have Animes for every race.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes, no, no no

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

Grid girls are loving embarrassing in 2018, good riddance imho. If you're a sad middle aged man who needs to perv on women less than half your age to enjoy something there's this thing called the internet, you can access it any time you like.

Bring back gently caress off huge wreaths for the podium

Yeah grid girls are super cringy, at least do 50/50 grid girls/grid studs so it's not as obviously creepy.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if they got rid of grid girls dont bring more cringe things like childrens, dogs, or whatever the gently caress

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I hope there is a system in place to help these ladies seek alternative employment

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Grid dogs is a great loving idea

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lets make the F3 drivers be the grid girls at F1 races

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I honestly couldn't care. They were there by their own volition, and for a lot of models, it's a decent gig.

I do find this particular strain of American neo-puritanism a bit icky though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sulman posted:

I honestly couldn't care. They were there by their own volition, and for a lot of models, it's a decent gig.

I do find this particular strain of American neo-puritanism a bit icky though.

This is pretty much my thoughts. I'm pretty sure there is alot worse poo poo these models do for a gig. There's alot of poo poo I kind of think society has a stick up their rear end these days but I can't be bothered enough to complain.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

This is pretty much my thoughts. I'm pretty sure there is alot worse poo poo these models do for a gig. There's alot of poo poo I kind of think society has a stick up their rear end these days but I can't be bothered enough to complain.

Ignoring the small poo poo is what enables the worse poo poo.

Calling this "American neo-puritanism" is quite sincerely the most dumbfuck, ignorant poo poo I have ever seen in my whole life, and I actually mean that. What the gently caress, guys.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

wicka posted:

Calling this "American neo-puritanism" is quite sincerely the most dumbfuck, ignorant poo poo I have ever seen in my whole life, and I actually mean that. What the gently caress, guys.

Oh dear, I'm so terribly sorry.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Ignoring the small poo poo is what enables the worse poo poo.

I actually think it's the opposite. Focusing on the small insignificant poo poo is what detracts attention away from more serious issues that need actual attention and effort to resolve.

There's legit social issues to get very pissed about and call for action. Some chicks receiving a wheelbarrow full of cash to hold a sign for 20 minutes isn't one of them.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

1500quidporsche posted:

I actually think it's the opposite. Focusing on the small insignificant poo poo is what detracts attention away from more serious issues that need actual attention and effort to resolve.

There's legit social issues to get very pissed about and call for action. Some chicks receiving a wheelbarrow full of cash to hold a sign for 20 minutes isn't one of them.

Yeah if Roe v Wade is overturned later this year, it will be because too much social issue energy was expended on getting rid of grid girls. That's just how these things work I guess

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bryter posted:

Yeah if Roe v Wade is overturned later this year, it will be because too much social issue energy was expended on getting rid of grid girls. That's just how these things work I guess

I very much recall that the Dems were picking really dumb fights and not focusing on poo poo that actually matters like supreme court nominees, so yes, I unironically think this.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
'Chicks' only being seen in F1 as objects to be leered at is a very visible sign of the entrenched sexism in motorsports, and taking a stand on it is worth doing, even though there are worse things happening. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

F1 teams have been doing a good job getting better representation of women in all departments (except on track so far), and having 1950s 'glamour' is just a bit pathetic and out of date

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
lol that yall mad about grid girls and not the fact your racing series produces garbage racing

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They should just have it be kids imo. Just pick some random young fans and have them hold signs and get to stand by the cool rear end cars and drivers.

It shoudl be this, like the mascots in football. I think it's fun and you end up with cute moments like when a child asked Adam Ounas who the hell he was while walking on to the pitch.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress kids and other cutesy bullshit

grid girls or nothing

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

DoctorGonzo posted:

gently caress kids

Please don't

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

'Chicks' only being seen in F1 as objects to be leered at is a very visible sign of the entrenched sexism in motorsports, and taking a stand on it is worth doing, even though there are worse things happening. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

F1 teams have been doing a good job getting better representation of women in all departments (except on track so far), and having 1950s 'glamour' is just a bit pathetic and out of date

I don't follow the reasoning, honestly. Firing a load of women because you don't approve of their job is a lot of things, but it's hardly progressive.

F1's had two good (okay, one) team principals that happened to be women, and it's in management and engineering where they're most likely to be found right now. I doubt either of them particularly cared about grid girls one way or the other. It's a job.

I think this is all about climate and optics, so excuse my cynicism.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
grid girls were a tradition killed by stupid americans who elected donald loving trump because class inequality was less important than whatever gender studies teach these days

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

grid girls were a tradition killed by stupid americans who elected donald loving trump because class inequality was less important than whatever gender studies teach these days

What

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

You are extremely wrong, and your attitude is the problem. Telling women their only asset is their physical appearance, and that they owe it to men to live up to our standards of appearance, is a huge part of these "more serious" issues you hint at.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PLEASE, 1500, don't be a Redditor. I am begging you not to act like these people.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sulman posted:

I don't follow the reasoning, honestly. Firing a load of women because you don't approve of their job is a lot of things, but it's hardly progressive.

F1's had two good (okay, one) team principals that happened to be women, and it's in management and engineering where they're most likely to be found right now. I doubt either of them particularly cared about grid girls one way or the other. It's a job.

I think this is all about climate and optics, so excuse my cynicism.

Maybe someone can correct me but I seriously doubt being a grid girl is a full time job with benefits

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Maybe someone can correct me but I seriously doubt being a grid girl is a full time job with benefits

I imagine they are/were contracted out for the day/afternoon whatever by whatever modeling agency they are a part of and it's like any other acting/advertising gig that pays by appearance.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gigi Galli posted:

I imagine they are/were contracted out for the day/afternoon whatever by whatever modeling agency they are a part of and it's like any other acting/advertising gig that pays by appearance.

they should ALSO ban modeling,

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

You are extremely wrong, and your attitude is the problem. Telling women their only asset is their physical appearance, and that they owe it to men to live up to our standards of appearance, is a huge part of these "more serious" issues you hint at.

When the gently caress did I say any of this? This literally is a side gig for models.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

DoctorGonzo posted:

they should ALSO ban modeling,

This, but Scuderia Ferrari instead

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm extremely in agreement with Tsaedje on this

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If your grabbing your standard of an ideal women from some chick that is holding a sign next to a car for 20 minutes you've made some incredibly poor life decisions. Male or female.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

When the gently caress did I say any of this? This literally is a side gig for models.

You don't have to say it, you are defending it. Little girls turn on F1 and they see a bunch of men treated as heroes and showered with praise, and all around them are women standing still and doing nothing but looking pretty. What message do you think this sends about their place in society? You are saying "ignore this and focus on the big problems" and yet they cannot be separated. They are not two distinct things.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

During the Rolex 24's driver autograph session some teams had models standing there. Yet the entire crowd was there to see the true beauty of Fernando Alonso.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The last woman in f1 killed herself crashing in testing. Rip Maria.

Tsaedje posted:

This, but Scuderia Ferrari instead

dont troll

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gigi Galli posted:

It's probably this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

During the Rolex 24's driver autograph session some teams had models standing there. Yet the entire crowd was there to see the true beauty of Fernando Alonso.

And again, if we focus only on their appearance, over and over again, for their whole lives, what does that do to Fernando's confidence? He thinks we care only about his looks and goes and tries to kill himself in broken Hondas.

• Locked thread