Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Renegret posted:

Factorio has a grand total of 17 devs. Plus I'm pretty sure most of them are newish additions.

And it's 17 people who know what they're doing.

It was also playable, stable, and, you know, fun, starting from day one.

Something something nine women can't make a baby in one month.

But also,

It's good for CIG to hire more staff because they'll get more done quicker, and they can effectively work for 24 hours a day.

Pick whichever one best alleviates your complaint about CIG at this time.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Factorio has a grand total of 17 devs. Plus I'm pretty sure most of them are newish additions.

And it's 17 people who know what they're doing.

It was also playable, stable, and, you know, fun, starting from day one.

Backed the hell out of it back then, too, because they knew their scope and completely failed to turn it into a first person shooter.

A better example would be Subnautica, a 3d sub-sea exploration game with a storyline and vague pretensions to an ecology that suffered slightly from limitations of he engine. The earlier deformation gameplay was removed because it would make save games loving enormous, for example.

They were noted for keeping a Trello board up of development during the development time, and kept to an aggressive schedule of releases, but did not, _strangely enough_, add a squad-based stealth level halfway through development for *reasons*.

Cherry-picking random metrics and trying to construct an argument it is really funny, because SC is multi-layered fail. It's *not* the most transparent development if you're obfuscating development. Some of us use Jira daily, and you can tease some decent agile views out of that, but they would be *accurate*. They *have* been infested with scope creep; not only during the stretch goal bonanza, but after that funding round closed, they kept collecting. No doubt you've heard of the DLC concept to extend the life of a game, they've pioneered Pre-DLC to fund the development of the game. If they don't have cash reserves and a _plan_, they've created a 'Roberts', which is a Ponzi where the payout is .... <stops for laughter> ... a game.

Renegret posted:

And it only costs $20.

Everyone needs to play Factorio.

Factory lines can be soothing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Beet Wagon posted:

But also,

It's good for CIG to hire more staff because they'll get more done quicker, and they can effectively work for 24 hours a day.

Your dog is the loving best I want to pet that dog so bad

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

You know, I haven't been paying attention to the reddit for a while since it's just the same bunch of guys telling stuff they made up to each other but I got curious and, well...

... yeah

Elbowing your way through throngs of badly animated sex workers has to get old after the third or fourth time.

Imma space pilot, I got places to be, drinks to mix, golfs to swing, boxes to shift.

Rugganovich posted:

That's why you're surreptitiously refereed to as the edgelord.

Quit doxxing my stage name.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hav posted:

Backed the hell out of it back then, too, because they knew their scope and completely failed to turn it into a first person shooter.

A better example would be Subnautica, a 3d sub-sea exploration game with a storyline and vague pretensions to an ecology that suffered slightly from limitations of he engine. The earlier deformation gameplay was removed because it would make save games loving enormous, for example.

They were noted for keeping a Trello board up of development during the development time, and kept to an aggressive schedule of releases, but did not, _strangely enough_, add a squad-based stealth level halfway through development for *reasons*.

Cherry-picking random metrics and trying to construct an argument it is really funny, because SC is multi-layered fail. It's *not* the most transparent development if you're obfuscating development. Some of us use Jira daily, and you can tease some decent agile views out of that, but they would be *accurate*. They *have* been infested with scope creep; not only during the stretch goal bonanza, but after that funding round closed, they kept collecting. No doubt you've heard of the DLC concept to extend the life of a game, they've pioneered Pre-DLC to fund the development of the game. If they don't have cash reserves and a _plan_, they've created a 'Roberts', which is a Ponzi where the payout is .... <stops for laughter> ... a game.

Factory lines can be soothing.

I remember reading that Trello board when I first played Subnautica during early access and thinking to myself, yeah we'll never see any of that, the game I played is what we'll get.

When I heard it came out of Early Access, I started a new game and was shocked that we got every major milestone from the Trello Board. Nothing more, nothing less. They delivered on their promise.

I'm going to fanboy Factorio again for a second. One thing that I love is that the dev team is extremely down to earth and is self aware. Yes the game is their baby but they don't defend it to death. They listen to criticism and fix it. Around the .15 release, the lead dev made a post where he said he realized he hadn't actually played a game from beginning to end like a user would for a while, so he started a new map and played it through. He admitted that the combat in the game sucked balls and shortly after they started reworking the combat.

Now combat is fun and we have loving artillery trains.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Factorio's Friday blogs are good reading. Amazing how much more effective they are then some over produced weekly show.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Renegret posted:

Your dog is the loving best I want to pet that dog so bad

:3: I wish everyone could come pet him, he'd love that.

I also recently started a new game of Subnautica after basically ignoring it for a year or more, and after following Star Citizen it's kind of shocking to see how well subnautica came together. It's like... a whole real game now, with a story and everything. And it's good! It's almost like starting with a solidly built foundation that covers all your mechanics and then fleshing out ideas and visuals from there is the way you're supposed to develop games.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Subnautica is fun in VR I tell you what

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What was the name of that "concept" that had crudely drawn graphics? Sea Patrol or something?

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

orcane posted:

Let's look at a much, much simpler game as an example: Factorio.

Factorio started development in 2012, and went early access in 2014. It's probably going to reach 1.0 some time this year, giving 6 years total development.

Now consider that Factorio is a very simple 2D game, with very few mechanics. Larger and more complex projects always take more time regardless of how many people work on them; significant parts of development are inherently serial & cannot be sped up for any amount of money.

I'd expect the kickstarter version of SC to take around 6-8 years to produce, and the current scope-crept version to take 8-12 depending on what gets cut. If they cut almost everything out and rush as much as possible they could probably release a decent game in late 2019. They won't do that, so I expect something on the upper range of the timescale, more in the 2022-2024 range. Perhaps later, if they keep scope creeping.

Development time does not matter if you announce the color, but then you wouldn't get that much money, would you ? How much money do you think CR would have raised in the 2012 KS if he had said the game wouldn't be out by 2020, and still probably be in a poor early stage ? The problem I have with SC and CR, is that they keep lying about dates and progress. Notice how there's *always* something around the corner ? Star marine just weeks, not months away ? SQ42 in 2015 ? 2016 ? 2017 ? 2018 ? now probably 2019+ ?

I have a problem with CR's marketing and lying to sell dreams, and you backers falling and applauding him for it. All while there are a lot of smaller indies that aren't lying and are getting peanuts for their honest efforts.

Nyast fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 31, 2018

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

iospace posted:

I heard it's over.

Source:

Angels.

They're dancing.

hello, Pappy McPoyle.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

orcane posted:

Let's look at a much, much simpler game as an example: Factorio.

Factorio started development in 2012, and went early access in 2014. It's probably going to reach 1.0 some time this year, giving 6 years total development.

Now consider that Factorio is a very simple 2D game, with very few mechanics. Larger and more complex projects always take more time regardless of how many people work on them; significant parts of development are inherently serial & cannot be sped up for any amount of money.

I'd expect the kickstarter version of SC to take around 6-8 years to produce, and the current scope-crept version to take 8-12 depending on what gets cut. If they cut almost everything out and rush as much as possible they could probably release a decent game in late 2019. They won't do that, so I expect something on the upper range of the timescale, more in the 2022-2024 range. Perhaps later, if they keep scope creeping.

Time and time again, backers keep going on about "this game is took x years to develop and it's amazing balls, so star citizen with all it's delays will be great, ignoring about a 100 games that were delayed due to revisions/restarts that were poo poo.

Honest question, after 6 years of development, are you happy that star citizen is pretty much 4 minigames that someone could make over a weekend and shove onto steam for $5 just for jim sterling to mock.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Tuo please hold my hand :negative:

At least I'm looking forward to document that repair for the AI subforums...

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 31, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

stingtwo posted:

Time and time again, backers keep going on about "this game is took x years to develop and it's amazing balls, so star citizen with all it's delays will be great, ignoring about a 100 games that were delayed due to revisions/restarts that were poo poo.

Honest question, after 6 years of development, are you happy that star citizen is pretty much 4 minigames that someone could make over a weekend and shove onto steam for $5 just for jim sterling to mock.

It's OK.. Soon they'll run out. 3.5 years you could say WoW. Now at 7 you're into Daikatana territory.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What did DNF finally cap out at?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

In the last 500 years, etc.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Ready for take off, commandos ?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

iospace posted:

What did DNF finally cap out at?

Gearbox said 15 years.

So I guess Shitizens have that to look forward too.

Just looking around the web it seems like DNF is the longest large studio gig. Blizzard has Diablo 3 and Starcraft two at around 8 or 9 each. Square has FF15 at 10 (however the game was completely reinvented half way through for being not fun)

After those notable examples I'm having a hard time finding things more than 6 or 7.

(I'm discounting poo poo like Dwarf Fortress and Unreal World which are passion projects.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 31, 2018

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Love those eyes!
Good doggo 11/10

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Factorio's Friday blogs are good reading. Amazing how much more effective they are then some over produced weekly show.

I really enojyed following the OverGrowth blogs, the rabbit fighty game that took an age to develop (nine years) but is now happily trotting along in full release with 1.1 being the current build. It's 30 bucks full price with occasional deep discount sales, had a team of THREE for most of it's development cycle (upped to around 20 I think for the final year or so because they realized they needed to get it out the door), and very VERY early on the main dev guy built a game engine pretty much from scratch because none of the ones available at the time were suited to what he wanted to do.

The blogs were frequently fascinating insights into quite complex graphical and gameplay stuff and often got quite technical, but more importantly, the blogs and update videos showed a clear improvement with each build, without the scope ever really creeping outside the initial pitch, a sequal to the teams first rabbit fight game Lugaru. Most importantly, the engine and bones of the game were rock solid and liquid smooth from the start, it just takes an awful long time for a super small team to build assets and implement mechanics, hence the final push with a massively expanded employee pool.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

In the last 500 years, etc.

The future liberals want.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

But also,

Is he wearing a car harness? If so pro tier dog ownership right there.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is he wearing a car harness? If so pro tier dog ownership right there.

No, I'm a bad dog owner and let him just hang out on his own back there :negative:

I really should get him a car harness though.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

You're a bigger tease than Derek, where is the link?
the whole fiasco is just so goddamn complicated and I was on mobile last night. instead of working I'll try and explain exactly whats going on

After a lot of telethons -- including the sale of vials of Richard Garriott's blood, $50 asset flip outhouses and Star Citizen crossover blimps -- Portalarium is launching Shroud of the Avatar on March 27th, 2018. To do this, they needed another round of investing (like, real investing from SeedInvest) and they needed some publishers, too (rumor is the whole reason they needed another $500k+ is because they are woefully behind on shipping physical merch -- except for a crappy $7,000 map of the game world someone bought. Yes, you are reading that right. $7,000 for a cheap map that's worse than something outta an old D&D goldbox game).

Their major new publisher is Travian Games, a studio based out of Germany. Their other, kinda-sorta-not-really-announced-but-yes-they-are-working-with-us publisher is Black Sun Gaming, a studio located in Russia. Travian is at the heart of the new controversy, but in order to understand that, you have to understand the Real Money Transaction (RMT) based economy Shroud of the Avatar currently has.

The RMT player marketplace allows you to sell everything from land deeds and gold for real money. Some people have put in tens of thousands of dollars trying to be the next tycoon of the game. The last big problem with this was when Dev+ accounts (think Evocati) were allowed to see changes to the game economy long before the average player. They used this information to their advantage several times, finding out on the closed test server when certain items would become more or less rare, then buying or selling these items on the live server before the changes. At one point this became so lucrative, Dev+ accounts were going for upwards of $40,000. Yes: $40,000.

The RMT idea wasn't born out of some necessity or sprang up due to player influence -- Richard Garriott was talking about Bitcoin and the real money value of digital goods in regards to Shroud way back in 2013. Personally, I think he had a huge push from Turbulent (oh, yes, by the way, our favorite Canadian dev house from Star Citizen runs the funding for Shroud of the Avatar) to make this happen. If you didn't know, both Star Citizen's and Shroud's marketing ideas come directly from Turbulent; sorry, Sandi.

One of the latest issues with RMT was a player selling powerleveling services -- this now goes directly into the RMT issue and why I mentioned Shroud is currently melting the gently caress down. This player advertised his services as developer sanctioned, which a developer then confirmed in 2017. All was fine until earlier this month when a Travian dev stated that this was not allowed and walked back the approval. After a few high profile leaks from Dev+ accounts, the big rumor now is that all RMTs will be banned because Travian doesn't want to deal with the international rules for digital good trading (if you haven't looked into it, it's an absolute loving mess. Selling a player something is easy; having that player turn around and sell it on your own marketplace to another player begins to cause you an endless amount of legal headaches).

Well, it turns out that a lot of people are only in this for the RMT and are losing their loving minds. One person I know has almost $75,000 worth of digital items they are trying to sell -- but the market isn't biting. That amount isn't uncommon, either; several sellers are listing items for upwards for $10,000 or $20,000.

The Portalarium devs, of course, are telling everyone not to worry, that an update to the EULA is coming soon which makes it clear that all RMTs are fine and dandy. People are waiting to see exactly what that entails, but after years of lies and broken promises, a lot of high profile backers are trying to dump their entire stock -- including their prized Dev+ accounts -- to no avail.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

Well, it turns out that a lot of people are only in this for the RMT and are losing their loving minds. One person I know has almost $75,000 worth of digital items they are trying to sell -- but the market isn't biting. That amount isn't uncommon, either; several sellers are listing items for upwards for $10,000 or $20,000.

Ladies and gentleman, the anatomy of a bubble.

Edit: More seriously, who _isn't_ attempting to launder money through games these days.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 31, 2018

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

If you didn't know, both Star Citizen's and Shroud's marketing ideas come directly from Turbulent; sorry, Sandi.

Boy, now there's an untold story.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

No, I'm a bad dog owner and let him just hang out on his own back there :negative:

I really should get him a car harness though.

This is the one I got Sophie (my pit mix) and it works really well.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Edit: More seriously, who _isn't_ attempting to launder money through games these days.
It really is a huge loving problem.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is the one I got Sophie (my pit mix) and it works really well.

You're going to make a post like that and not post the dog?

What is wrong with you?

Post the dog.

Post the dog.

Post the dog.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Here is something completely off topic:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/31/crowdfunding_court_case_refund_retro_computers_zx_vega_plus/

quote:

A crowdfunding backer of Retro Computers Ltd has won his court claim for a refund against the company for failing to deliver its promised product.

The court also ruled that Indiegogo’s terms and conditions were not relevant to the claim.

quote:

"That document is important in my view for this reason: it says 'this order'. Not 'this pledge' but 'this order' has been successfully added to your campaign," said the judge. "That would appear to be something that was probably in my view provided by Indiegogo but there’s no clarification of that. It makes it clear, 'this is an order'. This was successfully added to your campaign. This is the information that was provided to the claimant at the time."

quote:

The judge ruled that an implied contract of sale had been formed between Morton and RCL, and that RCL had breached the contract by failing to deliver the Vega Plus that Morton paid for.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, I forgot to add that RMT traders are doing things like harassing, stalking, threatening violence and other fun things against other traders in the hopes they'll shut down their accounts.

One dude even has his forum account closed because they were caught doing that poo poo, but is still allowed to trade for RMT. They still continue with the online harassment -- just offsite, of course.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh so the new EULA is out for Shroud, and it's basically "no, everything is fine! also we don't officially support RMT, but we can't deny it happens and we sanction it kinda, so enjoy offloading your $30,000 castle"

lol

it lives to see another day

my fav

quote:

We will not restrict exchange of goods but we will not officially endorse these exchanges due to liability issues and staffing bandwidth. All exchanges of virtual good for real dollars are to be confined to this part of the forum. No in-game or chat based real dollar exchanges are allowed. Exchanges are at the players own risk and governed by the Terms of Service of whatever third party platform. Portalarium reserves the right to restrict any activities if they cause widespread issues for our community or if these activities involve exploits of any kind.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Tuo please hold my hand :negative:

At least I'm looking forward to document that repair for the AI subforums...

How the gently caress did your wheelbase get longer? Do your regularly tow overweigt stuff or what?

e: did you have a crash?

ee: ah, I should read a post fully before shitposting ;)

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 31, 2018

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Charlie_L_Hall/status/958725601485049856

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
3 years ago.

https://twitter.com/charlie_l_hall/status/557930849405255681

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Renegret posted:

You're going to make a post like that and not post the dog?

What is wrong with you?

Post the dog.

Post the dog.

Post the dog.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CIG immediately calls turbulent to update the site yet again to change the shopping cart into the Pledge Cart and all orders be changed into pledges.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hnnnng yeah that's the good stuff right there.

10/10 would pet

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This isn't my dog it's my future's in-laws dog but she's a good puppy. Here she is begging for treats because I acknowledged her presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean c'mon charlie, even chat doesn't loving work in star citizen

what else do you expect them to do