Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I'm stuck on the first step, my muscles have seized up and I can't move, and I smell barbecue. Advice? Please respond asap

Find the delicious barbecue and eat it, it will give you strength to beat the electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Edit: Entirely the wrong thread.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Beer_Suitcase posted:

All this electricity talk has me worried.

What happens if I overfill my battery on my Nissan Leaf and spill raw electricity all over the ground?

You might need to summon an electromancer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Unfortunately, this is staged. If he was standing on lava hot enough to set fire to his poo poo, his feet would be sinking into it. They put some lighter fluid on his tripod and shoes and set him on fire to get the shot.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Memento posted:

Unfortunately, this is staged. If he was standing on lava hot enough to set fire to his poo poo, his feet would be sinking into it. They put some lighter fluid on his tripod and shoes and set him on fire to get the shot.

Lava is like three times denser than human you don't sink into lava

But if he was standing on lava hot enough to set his shoes on fire he might be melting into it

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
e: that'll teach me to not refresh

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ol Standard Retard posted:

mercury is 13 times denser than human and you can push your foot into it without much trouble

it's almost like when you're concentrating all your weight on a small area, you can overcome density contrasts :thunk:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

You sink into it until you displace a weight of lava equal to yours. Given that lava is pretty dense, you wouldn’t sink very far. But you’d still sink a bit, just like a cork or piece of pumice sinks slight into water.

Look at where the guy’s feet are, there’s not even an indentation. That’s totally solid lava.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beer_Suitcase posted:

All this electricity talk has me worried.

What happens if I overfill my battery on my Nissan Leaf and spill raw electricity all over the ground?

Use a magnet to pick it up.

You will find magnets rated in Tesla. One Tesla is 100 kWh, so a magnet of that power is good for at least two Leaves—three or four with the right options.

Evilreaver posted:

I've got a huge patch of DC infesting my backyard, any suggestions?

Repel with Leyden jars. It’s like how in Japan, water bottles are placed around property to scare away cats.

Consider supplementing that by sprinkling loose capacitors in problem areas.

Bozart posted:

I'm gunna bring some 120V 60Hz down to my lodge in eastern straya and let it loose, should make for some lively hunting. I hear they don't have that down there.

Build an electric fence to keep it in.

We don’t want another rabbit epidemic.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 31, 2018

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Phanatic posted:

You sink into it until you displace a weight of lava equal to yours. Given that lava is pretty dense, you wouldn’t sink very far. But you’d still sink a bit, just like a cork or piece of pumice sinks slight into water.

Look at where the guy’s feet are, there’s not even an indentation. That’s totally solid lava.

Maybe he's an elf

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I should get a YARD TRAP, I need a new yard

also even solid lava could be hot as gently caress, enough to burn shoes or tripods imo

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Evilreaver posted:

I've got a huge patch of DC infesting my backyard, any suggestions?

If I were to connect the transformers, my back yard *is* infested with 12vDC. My house was once the model home for the neighborhood back in '74. It had electric Tiki lights in the back and front yard according to my neighbors that have lived there since the '70s. They are long since gone, but I run into the buried cables occasionally. Who knows how they were wired or how much of the run would still go live if I plugged the transformers in. The wires weren't cut at the house, you can see where they go down front and rear.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Might be fun to borrow one of those cable tracers they use to find gas lines ("from who" is left as an exercise for the reader) and see if you can trace the active runs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SniperWoreConverse posted:

also even solid lava could be hot as gently caress, enough to burn shoes or tripods imo

10 inches up the leg of the tripod though?

The lava is hot. It's melting his shoes. But the reason I think they put some lighter fluid on it to make it look more dramatic is because that's what he told the press he did when the photo first came out.

Memento fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 31, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Phanatic posted:

Some guy worked it out once and difference in density is equivalent to styrofoam being dropped on engine oil.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah also like wouldn't you be boiling / burning off faster than you could actually contact the surface? At least til you got to a bone.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Lurking Haro posted:

Line your fence with capacitors so it can't pass.

:golfclap:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah also like wouldn't you be boiling / burning off faster than you could actually contact the surface? At least til you got to a bone.

No.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The crust can’t be that hot or it would be glowing.

I’m not saying that the photo definitely isn’t staged or otherwise faked, but it’s possible for the ground to be hot enough to ignite plastics but not hot enough to instantly turn anything that touches it into plasma.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It's important that he's standing on the cooled surface. You couldn't safely stand on red-hot lava at all, but if you've got the right clothes you can absolutely temporarily stand on a cooled skin over red-hot lava. The problem is even the 'skin' is still going to be fairly hot, and there's a lot of heat radiating in the air, so spontanious combustion is a concern and you should be wearing fireproofed stuff and not getting too close to the 'fresh' lava.

If you touched red-hot lava you wouldn't melt, but you would be, like, on fire, a lot, all over. Even slow and relatively quiet lava flows will burn everything in their path, it's just in places like Hawaii the path is quite set, already has any flammable burned out of it, and goes right to the ocean to cool off the lava.

Usually.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I think the asphalt in this picture is actually catching and holding fire a lot more than the grass? Pretty interesting. The grass probably just goes right up and doesn't sustain a flame very well.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I wonder if it's all the runoff and oil and crap from cars that's burning up so much.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Asphalt can be flammable in the right conditions at several hundred degrees if applied rapidly to limit vaporization (depending heavily on the mix, age, etc).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
During the War, desperate people tried to burn asphalt in lieu of coal.

It sort of worked.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lava can't melt rebar beams

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Breakfast All Day posted:

Asphalt can be flammable in the right conditions at several hundred degrees if applied rapidly to limit vaporization (depending heavily on the mix, age, etc).

There are a number of accounts of asphalt streets in German cities liquefying and catching on fire during WWII, with predictable results for people who tried to flee through them.

For example during the bombing of Hamburg the weather conditions were just right so that a 300 meter tall fire tornado formed and some parts of the city got as hot as a blast furnace. I recall one account by a German firefighter who had the glass lenses on his helmet/mask start to melt.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C.M. Kruger posted:

There are a number of accounts of asphalt streets in German cities liquefying and catching on fire during WWII, with predictable results for people who tried to flee through them.

For example during the bombing of Hamburg the weather conditions were just right so that a 300 meter tall fire tornado formed and some parts of the city got as hot as a blast furnace. I recall one account by a German firefighter who had the glass lenses on his helmet/mask start to melt.

Holy loving poo poo. :stonk:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Volcott posted:

The SOP for "got sent back in time and now I have to fight propeller aircraft in a jet" is probably just flying close enough to them that your wake remodels their shitholes.

I'm a few days late, but that's exactly the plot of "Hawk Among the Sparrows" by Dean McLaughlin. (It's okay.)

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

That was during the first 'Thousand Bomber raid' where about ten thousand tons of incendiary explosives were dropped on the downtown core; the resultant firestorm was so massive that the updrafts knocked bombers out of position like they were playthings, and the streets acted as wind tunnels.

There were multiple accounts of people being bodily picked up and flung into the firestorm by the wind, and the fire tornado burnt through a literal nine square mile chunk of the city.

And then the raids continued; by the end of the war, pretty much every part of Hamburg had been burnt to the ground or vigorously exploded.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sel Nar posted:

That was during the first 'Thousand Bomber raid' where about ten thousand tons of incendiary explosives were dropped on the downtown core; the resultant firestorm was so massive that the updrafts knocked bombers out of position like they were playthings, and the streets acted as wind tunnels.

There were multiple accounts of people being bodily picked up and flung into the firestorm by the wind, and the fire tornado burnt through a literal nine square mile chunk of the city.

And then the raids continued; by the end of the war, pretty much every part of Hamburg had been burnt to the ground or vigorously exploded.

and then hamburgers became american :burger:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

and then hamburgers became american :burger:

Spoils of war, man

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
EDIT: already better said by others.

PetraCore posted:

If you touched red-hot lava you wouldn't melt, but you would be, like, on fire, a lot, all over. Even slow and relatively quiet lava flows will burn everything in their path, it's just in places like Hawaii the path is quite set, already has any flammable burned out of it, and goes right to the ocean to cool off the lava.

Usually.

"And I JUST mowed it!"

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 31, 2018

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

trains always win, why don't people get it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...uises-only.html

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Memento posted:

Pouring lighter fluid on yourself and lighting it is pretty OSHA.

Man dies photographing Volcano. No he didn't drown in lava, or get caught in an explosion, he lit himself on fire to take a f-in rad selfie. Unlike True American Hero Robert Landsberg, who used his last living moments to advance science.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

humankind was built on top of challenges
how can you outspeed a train on a bicyle if you never try it

The_end
May 17, 2014

Halser posted:

humankind was built on top of challenges
how can you outspeed a train on a bicyle if you never try it

I hate when people ride their bikes on the road i pay a license fee to use.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The_end posted:

I hate when people ride their bikes on the road i pay a license fee to use.

I pay taxes too you gently caress face.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

I pay taxes too you gently caress face.

Wow, that was easier than finding the vegan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day