Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Venuz Patrol posted:

not much left now

what are the stars for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
stars aren't really a spoiler. they represent full clears, which you get by grabbing every single pickup in a single run of a level.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

stars aren't really a spoiler. they represent full clears, which you get by grabbing every single pickup in a single run of a level.

if there's an icon that indicates a deathless run of a level i am going to be very angry

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's a golden strawberry. That's why he had 21/20 in the first level

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
yyyyup. I probably won't be going for many of those

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Wooooof, Chapter 5. I dunno if it was just because I hadn't played in a bit, but this one was a slog. The openness of it all was cool, yet daunting. Not all looking forward to going back for the ten strawberries and cassette I missed. Somehow found the heart though. The ending bit at the end with the enemies kiiiiinda sucked tho. I felt like they were just unpredictable enough with too short a respawn time and for the first time I didn't feel like I knew exactly what I needed to do and I just needed to execute.

Not really a complaint so much, but I picked this up as a fun short platformer, and now it's something I feel I gotta carve two hours a session around. It's Cool.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm not doing golden berries but I might do the full clears after I'm done all the other stuff. Those A levels will probably feel really easy once i go back to them.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

after finishing 1B and 2B i think i could see myself doing golden strawberries but we'll see how my crankiness is. this game is very very fun though

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I've been finishing B-Sides as soon as I finish the main level, because it's fun to compare the flow of each B-Side to its main stage. I suspect this is going to make me want to die as I get through the later levels though. 3B was by far the hardest of the 4 B-Sides I've cleared so far, some of that technical jumping was brutal.

DoctorWhat posted:

3B is over and those little red blob fuckers can eat poo poo~

:yeah:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hate the levels with moving poo poo you have to avoid. Luckily I'm done with both 3 and 3-b. The rest ain't so bad

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I hate the levels with moving poo poo you have to avoid. Luckily I'm done with both 3 and 3-b. The rest ain't so bad

At least matt the merciful put their movement on a screen timer instead of a global one

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
7B complete. The New Technique you have to learn is really odd.but dashjumps let you skip half of 'em! The final Beat Blocks room of 7B was a lot of fun.

SeXReX posted:

At least matt the merciful put their movement on a screen timer instead of a global one

a global timer would have ruined this game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SeXReX posted:

The screen timers for moving stuff in this remind me favorably of the ones in meat boy, where the best way through the level usually involved moving immediately and not waiting around for objects in the level should move

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Meat Boy, Dustforce, and Celeste are basically the holy trinity of level-based ultra-hard platforming done perfectly.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

DoctorWhat posted:

7B complete. The New Technique you have to learn is really odd.but dashjumps let you skip half of 'em! The final Beat Blocks room of 7B was a lot of fun.

a global timer would have ruined this game

the game finally requires those dash jumps on 8c, Matt showed great restraint in keeping the hardest tech out until the very end. Then once you know everything there are even levels they intentionally designed to allow you to use it to skip stuff. Like you can finish chapter 5 with 4 keys chasing you if you do all the cool stuff

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've got B-Sides done for Chapters 1-4 now as well as normal clears for everything else. I still need to go find the Blue Hearts in the latter half of the game though. Didn't notice anything about where the one in Chapter 5 might be hiding last time I ran through it though...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Meat Boy, Dustforce, and Celeste are basically the holy trinity of level-based ultra-hard platforming done perfectly.

the end is nigh is pretty great too

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
7-B down. My death count was a little over 500. What a long, ridiculously difficult gauntlet that was. I am not touching 8-B tonight.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

3B is over and those little red blob fuckers can eat poo poo~

the dust bunnies are cute i love them

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dark Madi boss fight is an all time great section. just adrenaline and fun

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just finished 8B. On to the C-Sides... tomorrow.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

alf_pogs posted:

Dark Madi boss fight is an all time great section. just adrenaline and fun

I love how the gameplay supports the narrative. Previously you run away from your problems,there you have to face them head on. And also literally embrace your flaws.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Got this game last Saturday and blitzed through most of it during the weekend. I just finished 7-B twice because the game crashed the first time I got the crystal heart and I had to do the last bit over again.

Also, I'm stunned at how bad I am at this game. Like, you people are going, "oh no, I died 400 times over the course of the game," and here I died 1000 times on Chapter 7 just by itself.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

the dust bunnies are cute i love them

Same except they made me throw a controller. Thankfully it was a 360 controller with the wrong kind of RAM so no great loss

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there an FAQ or something that lists where the collectibles? I only managed to get one B side and none of the Crystal Hearts needed for Chapter 8.

Edit: I found how to access the B side.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

the end is nigh is pretty great too

That's cool, I'll probably pick it up on Switch after I finish Celeste.

I've played a lot of indie games that try to do this formula (They Bleed Pixels, Electronic Super Joy, 1001 Spikes, etc) but Celeste is definitely the best of its genre by a mile.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I've played a lot of indie games that try to do this formula (They Bleed Pixels, Electronic Super Joy, 1001 Spikes, etc) but Celeste is definitely the best of its genre by a mile.
The end is nigh has the same style map as celeste, to the point where they seemed like the influenced each other - you respawn at the room entrance you used and sometimes need to make use of that to get stuff and it's more routing/planning-focused than meat boy - just like this. It's going to feel like it's aping celeste a little but it came out first to like, no fanfare.

I liked electronic super joy but it was different, the movement in this feels a lot better. I thought 1001 spikes was awful though - what I played was mostly "memorize what to do on each level". They bleed pixels I didn't play enough to make a judgement call on.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 31, 2018

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

MachuPikacchu posted:

Got this game last Saturday and blitzed through most of it during the weekend. I just finished 7-B twice because the game crashed the first time I got the crystal heart and I had to do the last bit over again.

Also, I'm stunned at how bad I am at this game. Like, you people are going, "oh no, I died 400 times over the course of the game," and here I died 1000 times on Chapter 7 just by itself.

I had over 600 deaths on chapter 3 (the regular side, not the b side). And I thought I was pretty decent at platformers considering I got all 20 trinkets in VVVVVV, playing on my iPhone. So don’t worry about it :).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

1001 spikes isn't all memorization, there are environmental cues that you can pick up to figure out where traps are gonna be.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Augus posted:

1001 spikes isn't all memorization, there are environmental cues that you can pick up to figure out where traps are gonna be.
It seemed a lot closer to the memorization side of the scale to me - at the very least attempting to disguise danger was a big motif that I didn't like. I didn't play it long enough to draw conclusions about the whole thing, maybe it gets better.

Part of the glory of celeste is that I can pretty much tell what to expect from a level from just looking at it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

ShadeofBlue posted:

I had over 600 deaths on chapter 3 (the regular side, not the b side). And I thought I was pretty decent at platformers considering I got all 20 trinkets in VVVVVV, playing on my iPhone. So don’t worry about it :).

I played a bit at lunch, from just before the ending sequence of 3 to some point during the, well, boss fight? I guess? When I loaded my game, I had 552 deaths; after saving I checked and it stood at 776. 225 deaths, basically, in half an hour.

This is one of those games where I'm not sure why it's fun and not just loving maddening. I think it's because just about every time I die, it's clear that I died because of something I didn't do right, and not due to the game being janky or unfair in any way.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Yeah, my biggest problem with other games in the genre is that janky controls or global timers or floaty physics or bad hitboxes or intentionally troll-y level design make dying over and over a frustrating mess.

Celeste makes me own every death, and it is rules.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Just finished 8-B. 342 deaths. That was really hard but nowhere near as exhausting as the long gauntlet of 7-B.

I thought I was done and at 100% and now the game has informed me that I was mistaken. Also now that I have all the hearts I noticed that I can arrange them in the menu. I wonder if there's anything to that.

edit: Okay, I will eventually clear the C-sides but I just did chapter 1 to learn what a golden strawberry is and then to my horror I discovered B-sides have them, and presumably the C-sides will too once cleared. There is no way in hell I am going to 100% this game.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 31, 2018

Dancer
May 23, 2011

grand theft grotto posted:

Just finished 8-B. 342 deaths. That was really hard but nowhere near as exhausting as the long gauntlet of 7-B.

I thought I was done and at 100% and now the game has informed me that I was mistaken. Also now that I have all the hearts I noticed that I can arrange them in the menu. I wonder if there's anything to that.

edit: Okay, I will eventually clear the C-sides but I just did chapter 1 to learn what a golden strawberry is and then to my horror I discovered B-sides have them, and presumably the C-sides will too once cleared. There is no way in hell I am going to 100% this game.

I don't care what any person anywhere says, that thing you mention towards the end is something I don't consider involved in 100% completion of this game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just finished 5-B, still need to go back and look for the heart in 5-A. No clue where to start there. Any tip on what checkpoint to start from?

The B-Sides music is so good. Every track I've listened to is incredible but 4-B and 5-B are my definite favorites right now. I need to buy the soundtrack from the official Bandcamp.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dancer posted:

I don't care what any person anywhere says, that thing you mention towards the end is something I don't consider involved in 100% completion of this game.

Regardless of how anyone choose to label it all I know is I am sure as hell not doing it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

FPzero posted:

Just finished 5-B, still need to go back and look for the heart in 5-A. No clue where to start there. Any tip on what checkpoint to start from?

The B-Sides music is so good. Every track I've listened to is incredible but 4-B and 5-B are my definite favorites right now. I need to buy the soundtrack from the official Bandcamp.

a hint: the heart itself is close to where you enter the mirror, but you'll need to prepare earlier in the level to actually get it

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

If you wanna give this kind of thing a shot in 3D, Super Cloudbuilt is also really good. I liked the original Cloudbuilt a fair bit, but the remake just makes the whole thing feel a lot better, and integrates the various challenge modes a lot better as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sacrificial Toast posted:

If you wanna give this kind of thing a shot in 3D, Super Cloudbuilt is also really good. I liked the original Cloudbuilt a fair bit, but the remake just makes the whole thing feel a lot better, and integrates the various challenge modes a lot better as well.
Whoa they remade cloudbuilt?

Deadcore is another cool 3d one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

https://twitter.com/Really_Tall/status/958839713607151616