Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

EDIT: Oh wait, poo poo. I just looked this up and Disney just bought Fox like a month ago, so they finally do own everything Star Wars. One more small step to hopefully getting Blu-Rays of the untouched originals.

Which original do you want? The one released in May '77 with unfinished effects? The June mono mix with significant audio changes but finished effects? The 81 re-release with "A New Hope" title attached and further effects cleanup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

feedmyleg posted:

Which original do you want? The one released in May '77 with unfinished effects? The June mono mix with significant audio changes but finished effects? The 81 re-release with "A New Hope" title attached and further effects cleanup?

Yes.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Whichever one leaves out the lovely CGI Jabba

Ah, the Xmas Special
VVVVVVVVVV

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 25, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'd like the George Lucas peyote fueled fever dream version of Star Wars, k, tia.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Personally I want the ones from the last VHS release before the 'special edition', with a few obvious mistakes like visible wires and missing lightsabers fixed, in 1080p and 5.1 mix of the original audio.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Personally I want the ones from the last VHS release before the 'special edition', with a few obvious mistakes like visible wires and missing lightsabers fixed, in 1080p and 5.1 mix of the original audio.

I've got this VHS set that came out a few years before the special editions. I have to bust out the VCR every few years to watch them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

feedmyleg posted:

All of them overlayed on each other at about 30% opacity.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

There's been other films handled like that. Ideally, a Blu-ray would simply be the 1981 version except with the option of either the '77 or '81 crawl seamlessly branched. For audio, include the 4.0 70mm mix, mono mix, and regular stereo mix.

Metropolis, a 1927 film, required digital recompositing for some of its effects shots because the composites didn't survive in usable quality, but the separate pieces somehow survived. Yes, it's technically not the original, but it approximates the original. And that's not even considering how its restoration used the foreign and export negatives for the bulk of the film purely for quality because the original "A" domestic negative only survived as that Argentinean 16mm copy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I just realized that out of the theaters in my area, the only ones showing I, Tonya are AMC ones. Is it more likely that the other theaters just didn't buy the film to show it, or did AMC get some sort of exclusive deal?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think AMC secured the wide-release deal, yeah.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's showing at the one independent movie theater in my town. As is Phantom Thread, Shape of Water, Ladybird, and Darkest Hour which is doing insane-o gangbusters. This is a theater with three screens the biggest of which sits a crowd of like 70 people and I think like literally Darkest Hour has sold out every showing since it arrived like three weeks ago, so much so that the other movies are doing well just off sheer runoff.

n/t: when I went to see I, Tonya last night the elderly couple in front of me were told that Darkest Hour had sold out but they could see I, Tonya or Shape of Water at the same time.

Husband: Shape of Water? What's that?

Wife: It's the fish movie! A fish movie!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My local indie had it, so you might get lucky with that route. It's might have been and gone from most places now. It's super good though, so do try find it.

e: I see I'm not alone with that thought!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If you live in a crappy town like mine it may not have even reached you yet. I, Tonya only got here last week and will be here probably one week more. Culture! :u

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So was Casey Affleck really under the sheet for A Ghost Story?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

According to the director, not always:

quote:

AVC: So was Casey under there the whole time still?

DL: No, because by the time we realized the performance didn’t need to carry through we also realized we could put someone else under there. So when we did those reshoots or those pick ups, it was our art director, David Pink, who was the same height and size. He selflessly assumed that role and did a great job as well. It was remarkable how seamless that was. Once you remove the actor from the role it really doesn’t matter.

From: https://film.avclub.com/david-lowery-had-to-stop-himself-from-giving-up-on-his-1798264341

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heads up for anybody else who watched that movie, that's a hella good interview.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They should interview Alexander Payne to get to the bottom of just what the hell happened with Downsizing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

EL BROMANCE posted:

They should interview Alexander Payne to get to the bottom of just what the hell happened with Downsizing.

When booking my ticket I looked at the duration and wondered how the hell it was going to be a 2 hour movie, but it feels like they managed fine.

Christoph Waltz truly has a million dollar smile poo poo-eating grin.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Waltz pretty much kept me going throughout it. I won’t ever not be able to see him as his character from Inglourious Basterds though, even when he’s being your happy, smiling neighbor.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Can someone explain rotoscoping and how it works? I think it's the process where they can insert an actor to converse with themselves, or something along those lines. Flipping through channels the other day, Jack and Jill was on (didn't watch it, thank God) and my wife wondered how they could get it so Adam Sandler was facing himself and having a conversation.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

Can someone explain rotoscoping and how it works? I think it's the process where they can insert an actor to converse with themselves, or something along those lines. Flipping through channels the other day, Jack and Jill was on (didn't watch it, thank God) and my wife wondered how they could get it so Adam Sandler was facing himself and having a conversation.

Rotoscoping is actually an animation technique- you shoot live action footage of someone and then draw over them, creating an animated scene that appears to move naturally. Fleischer Studios used to do this a lot- see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk

Films like Jack and Jill use "green screen" most often- the doubled actor shoots the second half of the scene in front of a green or blue screen, then (now digitally) the green/blue parts are removed and replaced with footage that's already been shot. Some digital animation/cutting and pasting is used for when, say, the character hands something to themselves or they circle around each other.

The original technique for split screen was just to shoot the scene with one part of the lens blocked, then shoot it again with the actor in the other position with the other half of the lens blocked. This was done sparingly because it was really obvious that the two can't interact in any way. (The movie Dead Ringers introduced a more advanced system where the "split" could move during a shot.)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leavemywife posted:

Rotoscoping has a lot of different uses that can accomplish a variety of tasks, but the overly general idea is that it's putting an animated outline around someone so you can remove them or the back ground and manipulate it.

You do that, and this is again overly general, by drawing a path around the shape or body (or body part) and then animated it frame by frame as the body or shape changes. Of course there are tons of programs to automate it. I use Mocha Pro to rotoscope nearly every day.

As for split screen stuff (like Jack and Jill) that can sometimes use rotoscoping depending on the complexity of the shot.

Typically you can stage it to where the characters never fully interact... meaning they don't cross themselves. AKA one person or part of one person doesn't go behind or in front of the other. If they did, and you used generic split screening, then you'd give away where the split screen is.

Sometimes, to get more complex shots that give more credibility to the believability of the effect, they'll intentionally make the characters cross paths or interact with each other. For this, when those parts cross each other in the frame, they'll use rotoscoping to cut one element out and place it over the other (and then sometimes fake shadows, etc).

To add even more credibility to scenes sometimes they'll add in camera moves too. Camera moves make split screen shots more difficult, because with most camera moves... they're never exactly the same twice. So that means, when you split screen it and join the the two shots... you'd notice the backgrounds don't line up! So they use what's called motion control. This is computerized (instead of human) control of the camera so every shot is *exactly* the same each time. That way you can do whatever you want without worrying the backgrounds wouldn't line up when you join two shots.

This is obviously a very general idea, but hopefully it helps.

Oh and sometimes you can do it all on green screen and then shoot what's called a "background plate" or just "plate" later to put in.

And even when you're not shooting on greenscreen, you typically shoot generic background plates of every shot so that if you find yourself in VFX world and you need to fill in holes where you may have rotoscoped or cutout elements... you aren't having to create it from scratch!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Rotoscoping is actually an animation technique- you shoot live action footage of someone and then draw over them, creating an animated scene that appears to move naturally. Fleischer Studios used to do this a lot- see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk

Films like Jack and Jill use "green screen" most often- the doubled actor shoots the second half of the scene in front of a green or blue screen, then (now digitally) the green/blue parts are removed and replaced with footage that's already been shot. Some digital animation/cutting and pasting is used for when, say, the character hands something to themselves or they circle around each other.

The original technique for split screen was just to shoot the scene with one part of the lens blocked, then shoot it again with the actor in the other position with the other half of the lens blocked. This was done sparingly because it was really obvious that the two can't interact in any way. (The movie Dead Ringers introduced a more advanced system where the "split" could move during a shot.)

While rotoscoping got it's name from the original animation technique, it's most often now used to now refer to outline or masking them, generally for technical VFX work.

Here's a quick timelapse of someone doing some basic roto work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzCN5y9Zk3w&t=45s

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leavemywife posted:

This kind of thing is always more impressive to me from the acting side of things, not just the technical side. Even thinking of Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black having to do shots and scenes over and over whenever her clones are together is exhausting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lobok posted:

This kind of thing is always more impressive to me from the acting side of things, not just the technical side. Even thinking of Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black having to do shots and scenes over and over whenever her clones are together is exhausting.

Maslany at least had her body double to act against.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Heres Captain Disillusion doing a 10 minute video on the VFX for the back to the future movies which includes a bit about how they did the scene where michael j. fox plays three members of martys family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhNDsPMaK_A

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Holy poo poo, that's cool. I had heard the term before, but really had no idea what it was. To make sure I've got it right, rotoscoping is where they draw an outline of a character to insert another later on. Using green screen technology, they can get the same actor in the shot, too, and there's a lens covering technique to do the same thing, but that's basically too obvious and gives no room for interaction.

This is why this is one of my favorite threads on the forums. I can come here and ask a question about anything movie related, and you guys aren't assholes about it. You give good, detailed information, and make sure I'm understanding what's going on.

The other boards make out like CineD is the biggest group of assholes on the internet, but that's not true in my experiences.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I always thought rotoscoping was purely the animation technique used for making motion picture stuff look animated like A Scanner Darkly and the animated sections of Tower, the animated sections of the trippy LSD episode in Fringe etc (I'm right that they are rotoscoped yeah?).

Interesting that it has a ton of other uses too.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Looten Plunder posted:

I always thought rotoscoping was purely the animation technique used for making motion picture stuff look animated like A Scanner Darkly and the animated sections of Tower, the animated sections of the trippy LSD episode in Fringe etc (I'm right that they are rotoscoped yeah?).

Interesting that it has a ton of other uses too.

Surprised it hasn't come up yet, but I want to chime in and mention Fire and Ice, an almost-100% rotoscoped animated film by Ralph Bakshi. Art from Frank Frazetta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if4WhCzQzyU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Waltz pretty much kept me going throughout it. I won’t ever not be able to see him as his character from Inglourious Basterds though, even when he’s being your happy, smiling neighbor.

I dunno, his performance in Django Unchained did a lot to help me not permanently think of him as a Nazi.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leavemywife posted:

Holy poo poo, that's cool. I had heard the term before, but really had no idea what it was. To make sure I've got it right, rotoscoping is where they draw an outline of a character to insert another later on. Using green screen technology, they can get the same actor in the shot, too, and there's a lens covering technique to do the same thing, but that's basically too obvious and gives no room for interaction.

This is why this is one of my favorite threads on the forums. I can come here and ask a question about anything movie related, and you guys aren't assholes about it. You give good, detailed information, and make sure I'm understanding what's going on.

The other boards make out like CineD is the biggest group of assholes on the internet, but that's not true in my experiences.

Well that's almost correct. Rotoscoping isn't typically where you outline to insert something in to. It's usually that you're outlining something you want to extract. That can be for a lot of reasons. Do you want to add color correction to just that character? Do you want to make that a separate layer you can move above other stuff? For instance, lets say there's a scene with two people. One closer to the camera than the other. Well lets say I decide I want to add some smokey atmosphere to the scene. If I just plop it down on top of everything then you get everything flat and hazed up. Maybe I want to add some depth to it and that would mean the person closest to the camera would be unaffected by the haze. I'd roto them out, and move them - as a separate layer - above the fog.

Make sense?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

CineD is actually the most civil movie board I've been on, but I also stay out of the comic book and Star Wars threads.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Egbert Souse posted:

CineD is actually the most civil movie board I've been on, but I also stay out of the comic book and Star Wars threads.

A lot of people are loving terrified of SMG saying something mean to them. If you look at the non movie parts of this forum he's the loving boogeyman.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Egbert Souse posted:

CineD is actually the most civil movie board I've been on,

You take that back motherfucker!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Skwirl posted:

A lot of people are loving terrified of SMG saying something mean to them.

As a mostly outsider, it's more the fact that you're always counting down to him coming into a thread and it all then becomes about him.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Well that's almost correct. Rotoscoping isn't typically where you outline to insert something in to. It's usually that you're outlining something you want to extract. That can be for a lot of reasons. Do you want to add color correction to just that character? Do you want to make that a separate layer you can move above other stuff? For instance, lets say there's a scene with two people. One closer to the camera than the other. Well lets say I decide I want to add some smokey atmosphere to the scene. If I just plop it down on top of everything then you get everything flat and hazed up. Maybe I want to add some depth to it and that would mean the person closest to the camera would be unaffected by the haze. I'd roto them out, and move them - as a separate layer - above the fog.

Make sense?

That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Skwirl posted:

A lot of people are loving terrified of SMG saying something mean to them. If you look at the non movie parts of this forum he's the loving boogeyman.

Haha. No. Most people just think that he takes over a thread once he arrives and loving ruins it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SiKboy posted:

Heres Captain Disillusion doing a 10 minute video on the VFX for the back to the future movies which includes a bit about how they did the scene where michael j. fox plays three members of martys family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhNDsPMaK_A

This is a two part series and holy poo poo thank you for posting it. I love Captain Disillusion but somehow never saw these. This is a perfect explanation of the introduction of these techniques that basically shape the foundation of the VFX industry.

Amazing amazing stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I dunno, his performance in Django Unchained did a lot to help me not permanently think of him as a Nazi.

Agreed, he's so drat likable in that movie that it makes me want a "The Adventures of Django and King" series. He actually had to be convinced by Quentin to play the part though, he was worried he'd be typecast playing Germans all the time, so they came to an agreement where King wouldn't do anything considered evil.

Skwirl posted:

He's usually either an amusing idiot or someone so far up their own rear end they're seeing their spinal column, but I post here way less than some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s a dumb movie but that one circus movie with Waltz and the twilight dude was really nice and Waltz is great in it.