Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah the rye bread which is like eating carpet tiles isn't great (it's actually quite pleasant if you're expecting it, but is extremely bad for making sandwiches or really anything other than just putting butter or cheese on it and then jamming it into your face) but regular bread with some rye in it is delicious. But I generally prefer coarser bread anyway, the only type of bread I really hate is the very soft, airy kind. Proper bread shouldn't get dented if you give the loaf a gentle squeeze.

Urgh christ that Danish stuff is absolutely inedible. Is that actually what bread is like in Denmark because how can one country get half the basis for a bacon sandwich so right and the other half so utterly, earth shatteringly wrong if so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So Mr LC is a pig farmer and like shooting things so clearly I’m not a friend of peta, and even I have to say “stop eating veal you utter bastards”

They are stuck in crates so small they can’t even turn round in them, in the dark, and fed milk for the entirety of their sad pitiful lives while they piss and poo poo all over their own feet and legs which often burns through to the bone. It is cruel and wrong, just like battery farmed anything is cruel and wrong.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Coohoolin posted:

More of a snipe at the moral outrage brigade who always seem to be "i'm alright jack" tories that care more about the cutesy animals than the thousands dying but sure.

yeah you sure told us snowflakes

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The best thing to do with rye bread is to cut it into soldiers, fry it in some oil, rub garlic into them, and lightly salt. They're called grenki and they're delicious.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Spangly A posted:

m8 do you know how many calories hummus has

vegans get fat if they're left alone with chickpeas too often

I really hate hummus though! I love chickpeas but I can't stand hummus for some reason.

Also I had a housemate who insisted on toasting rye bread and I now can't even look at the stuff without gagging for some reason.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Paul.Power posted:

See that one Orwell quote about the misery of poverty leading to a need for comfort food, I guess.

That seems to me to be more of a point about eating habits in general than being a vegan or a vegetarian though. Nothing to stop them binging on crisps etc etc.

Coohoolin posted:

Could be many things from access to cooking options to not having enough time to shop more frequently for food that doesn't keep as long.

Still seems a weak argument. A lot of vegetables keep at least as long if not longer than meat or dairy. And there's tons of ready meals for vegetarians on the shelves (maybe many are vegan friendly too?) so it's not like you can't be a 'lazy' vegetarian in modern Britain.

I suspect the apparent class divide is more to do with being exposed to these ideas/trends and/or some virtue signalling element.

In any case gently caress all that noise you'll never take my steaks away.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Veal is for arseholes. If you eat veal you're a huge oval office.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Never really had a problem with northern accents for the most part but Scouse is incomprehensible to me

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Lord of the Llamas posted:

In any case gently caress all that noise you'll never take my steaks away.

Chateaubriand is God’s own cut.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

What's the "fake posh" accent you get in the south? I'm only familiar with the various london accents and the BBC one. Oh and the odd lord that is nigh incomprehensible.

You know the exaggerated ones you hear on TV? Some people talk like that.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

That seems to me to be more of a point about eating habits in general than being a vegan or a vegetarian though. Nothing to stop them binging on crisps etc etc.

Still seems a weak argument. A lot of vegetables keep at least as long if not longer than meat or dairy. And there's tons of ready meals for vegetarians on the shelves (maybe many are vegan friendly too?) so it's not like you can't be a 'lazy' vegetarian in modern Britain.

Can confirm, am a lazy vegan who gains weight.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Best fishfinger sandwich:

Cheap styrofoam white bread
birdseye fishfingers
a dairylea slice
heinz ketchup

discuss.

anyone suggesting brown bread can gently caress right off

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Call me bourgie, but I'm gonna throw up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Coohoolin posted:

I literally had this happen to me in Drummonds on Sunday night. My gf is out for a smoke so I'm just on my phone killing time, this girl comes up and says

:j: "nice jacket"

:banjo: "thanks, it's from the-"

:j: "did you buy it new?"

:banjo: "no it was a gift"

:j: "good because i was about to have a go at you for supporting the leather industry"

:banjo: "i mean i don't wake up in the morning and think to myself aw man i can't wait to go out and support the leather industry today but... i eat a lot of meat i guess"

:j: "do you have netflix"

:banjo: "don't bother recommending cowspiracy"

:j: "no watch 'what the health', you'll thank me"

At this point my gf came back and i turned away and we started making fun of her in not so sottovoce tones because who the hell walks up to a random in a bar and starts a conversation about how their jacket supports the evil leather industry?

I can't believe you just typed out an honest to god stdh with emoticons. Unreal.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The MPs are going to vote soon on a plan regarding the refurbishment of Westminster Palace.

The options are;
  • Parliament business conducted in another building - lowest cost estimate £3.5 billion, taking about six years.
  • Staying in Westminster, rennovating sections at a time - lowest cost estimate £6 billion, over about thirty years.
  • Bulldoze the entire site, install plastic chairs - lowest cost estimate £6000 for diggers, + £600 for plastic chairs (might be able to get cheaper), over three months.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

serious gaylord posted:

I can't honestly believe you just typed out an honest to god stdh with emoticons. Unreal.

Na that's not a stdh if it was she would have broke down crying and started eating Veal to the whole restaurant applauding

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Yeah if you don't think that story is believable you don't know any militant vegans.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

I literally had this happen to me in Drummonds on Sunday night. My gf is out for a smoke so I'm just on my phone killing time, this girl comes up and says

:j: "nice jacket"

:banjo: "thanks, it's from the-"

:j: "did you buy it new?"

:banjo: "no it was a gift"

:j: "good because i was about to have a go at you for supporting the leather industry"

:banjo: "i mean i don't wake up in the morning and think to myself aw man i can't wait to go out and support the leather industry today but... i eat a lot of meat i guess"

:j: "do you have netflix"

:banjo: "don't bother recommending cowspiracy"

:j: "no watch 'what the health', you'll thank me"

At this point my gf came back and i turned away and we started making fun of her in not so sottovoce tones because who the hell walks up to a random in a bar and starts a conversation about how their jacket supports the evil leather industry?

And that girl was Albert Einstein!

e: beaten on the stdh

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pesky Splinter posted:

The MPs are going to vote soon on a plan regarding the refurbishment of Westminster Palace.

The options are;
  • Parliament business conducted in another building - lowest cost estimate £3.5 billion, taking about six years.
  • Staying in Westminster, rennovating sections at a time - lowest cost estimate £6 billion, over about thirty years.
  • Bulldoze the entire site, install plastic chairs - lowest cost estimate £6000 for diggers, + £600 for plastic chairs (might be able to get cheaper), over three months.

Those fuckers aren't going to relocate anywhere.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

whether it happened or not, no party in that anecdote comes out of it looking like anyone i'd want to spend time with

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Anyone who wears a leather jacket looks like Jeremy Clarkson

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah if you don't think that story is believable you don't know any militant vegans.

I wholly believe that Coohoolie goes to places where you're likely to find militant vegans, even if I never have :v:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

serious gaylord posted:

I can't believe you just typed out an honest to god stdh with emoticons. Unreal.

That absolutely 100% happened. Some people are weird.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pesky Splinter posted:

The options are;

Build new Parliament in Manchester, permanently relocate there.

You know those estimates are going to at least double before it's all finished.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

I wholly believe that Coohoolie goes to places where you're likely to find militant vegans, even if I never have :v:

There's like 3 places in Aberdeen that count as "alternative" bars, you bump into everyone eventually.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Awful accents and no mention of Norfolk?

For shame.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Dead Goon posted:

Awful accents and no mention of Norfolk?

For shame.

Honestly, I started a new job here earlier this month and for the first week I thought I was just meeting an above-average number of mentally handicapped people for no apparent reason.

No, that's just Norfolk.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

namesake posted:

Those fuckers aren't going to relocate anywhere.

Oh I know that. Among their number are the same people who were prepared to extend both the time and cost (and most important, worker health) to fix a loving clock. What's the bet the choice is the longest, most expensive option?

Thanks Ants posted:

Build new Parliament in Manchester, permanently relocate there.

You know those estimates are going to at least double before it's all finished.
The wilds of Manchester?! B-but do you know how far away that is from London!? :monocle:

Most loving certainly. Those estimates are from last year before the election, so god only knows how much more it is now, not factoring in the additional bloating costs, these projects usually accumulate.

Builder: *{inhale of breath}* "Dunno bout that three-an-half mill, guv. Gotta get them pipes out, gargoyles polished, everything all wired up prop'ly - you must've 'ad a real cowboy with these before - it's gonna cost, it's gonna cost. And we have to scrub the piss stains out of them leather seats."

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 31, 2018

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Coohoolin posted:

The best thing to do with rye bread is to cut it into soldiers, fry it in some oil, rub garlic into them, and lightly salt. They're called grenki and they're delicious.

shut up banjo boy

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'd say something about the evils of Big Leather but that sounds like a dude you'd meet down Canal Street on a Friday night.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pound_Coin posted:

Best fishfinger sandwich:

Cheap styrofoam white bread
birdseye fishfingers
a dairylea slice
heinz ketchup

discuss.

anyone suggesting brown bread can gently caress right off

The best fishfinger sandwich is actually very simple:

white bread
birdseye fish fingers
reggae reggae sauce

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The best sandwich is clearly white bread with crisps.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

The best fishfinger sandwich is actually very simple:

white bread
birdseye fish fingers
reggae reggae sauce

Beer battered fillets of fresh fish, deep fried, in a floury white bap with tartare sauce and some nice salad leaves. Side of proper triple cooked chips.

I don't care if it sends me to the wall, I'll have it as my last meal when I go.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

MPs vote to renovate parliament and move out fully while it happens

MPs have vote by 236 votes to 220 to press ahead with a “full decant”, would involve moving out of the Commons fully during the renovation. That’s a majority of 16.

Now MPs are voting on the motion as amended, which will probably get passed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

Urgh christ that Danish stuff is absolutely inedible. Is that actually what bread is like in Denmark because how can one country get half the basis for a bacon sandwich so right and the other half so utterly, earth shatteringly wrong if so?
How much rye bread have you tried? I'm definitely not the biggest fan of it, in general, but the taste and feel of it can vary enormously. On one end, you have bread that's somehow dry and mushy at the same time, and tastes like cardboard, on the other you have nice and solid textured bread that complements meaty flavors much better than white bread - and supports a proper stack of toppings without falling apart when cut.

Basically, if you use rye bread as simply a stand in for white bread, you're probably not gonna get much out of it - white bread sandwiches were designed with white bread in mind, so of course changing the bread will impact your enjoyment! What you need to do is built a(n openfaced) sandwich around the characteristics of rye instead, and make sure you buy some proper rye with seeds and poo poo instead of the bread that looks like white bread except browner.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Good, when the revolution comes most of the work needed to convert it into safe social housing will have been done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How much rye bread have you tried? I'm definitely not the biggest fan of it, in general, but the taste and feel of it can vary enormously. On one end, you have bread that's somehow dry and mushy at the same time, and tastes like cardboard, on the other you have nice and solid textured bread that complements meaty flavors much better than white bread - and supports a proper stack of toppings without falling apart when cut.

Basically, if you use rye bread as simply a stand in for white bread, you're probably not gonna get much out of it - white bread sandwiches were designed with white bread in mind, so of course changing the bread will impact your enjoyment! What you need to do is built a(n openfaced) sandwich around the characteristics of rye instead, and make sure you buy some proper rye with seeds and poo poo instead of the bread that looks like white bread except browner.

It's not rye bread it's just white bread but mostly air, it's usually sold as weight loss bread.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There were some significant flaws with plan B amounting to "it won't work and will probably catch fire burning all the MPs alive" which I guess proved fairly persuasive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah, he plays music in bars. "Someone came up to me and chewed my ear off about an awful crackpot movie that would totally change my views on the world" is probably up in the top 10 most believable pub musician stories, just a couple spaces below anything involving drunk sound guys.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
When the revolution comes all bread except jälkiuunileipä will be banned for being too bourgeoisie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smusX8AirYY

e: that's butter, not cheese

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

It's not rye bread it's just white bread but mostly air, it's usually sold as weight loss bread.
I'm not sure what this has to do with Denmark then?? The only white bread but mostly air I can think of is definitely not weight loss material.

• Locked thread