Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
isn't he autistic

e: lol, but isn't he actually autistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
yes

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's your answer then

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

confusing series of posts

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Someone bought WJ my avatar because I agreed with him about something in the Suck Zone and the circle jerk there melted down about it, as far as i can gather

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
class to me seems important in regards to incarceration because even if a person is originally harassed by police due to being of colour, a wealthy POC is still more likely to avoid prison simply due to having access to better lawyers.

I don’t see harassment of minorities by law enforcement and class distinctions in incarceration rates as mutually exclusive. A wealthy POC is still more likely to avoid prison than a poor white person

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
when you think about it, a vanguard party is just a more organized circle jerk

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

when you think about it, a vanguard party is just a more organized circle jerk

a revolution occurs when everyone finishes at the same time

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
when the revolution cums,

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/MaoistRebelNews/status/432701876128067584

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jamieson/status/958432401927131137

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
One of my best friends worked really hard on that union drive. Shameful.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

does this relate to the NLRB or is it firmly in the courts now? i.e. is it something a newly stacked trump NLRB could just nuke overnight ala net neutrality and the FCC?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zegermans posted:

does this relate to the NLRB or is it firmly in the courts now? i.e. is it something a newly stacked trump NLRB could just nuke overnight ala net neutrality and the FCC?

NLRB certification occurred in December 2017

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

NLRB certification occurred in December 2017

that... surprises me

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

zegermans posted:

i'm a union organizer and am in this exact same position with a completely unrelated company

basically what will happen is:

Columbia will refuse to bargain indefinitely as it appeals the decision. Much as in my case right now, there is no "stay on bargaining," Columbia has a duty to bargain right now.

They will exhaust all of their appeal options, will still refuse to bargain.

After 1 year with no contract, the NLRB certification expires and they grad students lose their union. There is very, very little ability to force Columbia to actually bargain. The only actual ability the grad students will have to force Columbia to bargain is striking/direct action. The courts will order them to bargain over and over and it won't really matter.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

harvard basically pulled the same stunt recently. there was also a huge campaign headed by like 2 students that was super anti-union. they seemed to even have funding for their efforts, which made me think it was astro turfed.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Postoyevsky posted:

i'm a union organizer and am in this exact same position with a completely unrelated company

basically what will happen is:

Columbia will refuse to bargain indefinitely as it appeals the decision. Much as in my case right now, there is no "stay on bargaining," Columbia has a duty to bargain right now.

They will exhaust all of their appeal options, will still refuse to bargain.

After 1 year with no contract, the NLRB certification expires and they grad students lose their union. There is very, very little ability to force Columbia to actually bargain. The only actual ability the grad students will have to force Columbia to bargain is striking/direct action. The courts will order them to bargain over and over and it won't really matter.

I vaguely recall reading about this back in the day with the card check idea that Obama folded on - a company can just stall out NLRB certification by plugging their ears and going lalala for a year?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

harvard basically pulled the same stunt recently. there was also a huge campaign headed by like 2 students that was super anti-union. they seemed to even have funding for their efforts, which made me think it was astro turfed.

I assume Harvard has some nice solid old oaks to string these class traitors up from?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/mccainenl/status/958433655126478852

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

:thunk: I wonder what would happen if a bunch of workers refused to abide by an NLRB decision. I'm sure a total lack of consequences and then winning by default after a year, right?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

zegermans posted:

that... surprises me

It did me as well at the time.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

zegermans posted:

I assume Harvard has some nice solid old oaks to string these class traitors up from?

lol cmon

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Goon Danton posted:

:thunk: I wonder what would happen if a bunch of workers refused to abide by an NLRB decision. I'm sure a total lack of consequences and then winning by default after a year, right?

right!

also this will just continue getting worse because liberal capitalism has successfully domesticated people to the point that nobody will actually challenge authority by any effective means

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

zegermans posted:

I vaguely recall reading about this back in the day with the card check idea that Obama folded on - a company can just stall out NLRB certification by plugging their ears and going lalala for a year?

Yes.

You can file for injunctions and battle it out legally, but that's costly (even for us, and I work for an national union with 100,000+ members in the US/Canada)

The way you typically handle companies who refuse to bargain is you organize the members and have strikes, rallies, etc but there's still nothing forcing them to negotiate. The fact that solidarity and secondary strikes are illegal is very intentional and makes it much, much easier for companies to just blatantly ignore labor law. in the past we (or the Columbia grad students) could get other unions to strike/picket (such as the other on-campus unions) and effectively shut everything down until they bargained with the grad students

We won an NLRB appeal recently and the employers response to a letter we sent demanding they begin the bargaining process was a single line email from their counsel which im directly pasting here

quote:

our position remains: we do not recognize the unit as appropriate and we will not be bargaining

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
you, dumb: democrats like Bill Clinton killed organized labor

me, smart: democrats like Harry Truman killed organized labor

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you, dumb: democrats like Bill Clinton killed organized labor

me, smart: democrats like Harry Truman killed organized labor

Truman vetoed Taft Hartley but the senate overrode his veto with GOP and Dixiecrat votes

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

all democrats are trash

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

Truman vetoed Taft Hartley but the senate overrode his veto with GOP and Dixiecrat votes

well whatever still the Democrats

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid posted:

truman is the "the buck stops here" president. with a motto like that, he gets the blame despite his symbolic veto.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
that’s...sure a take

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
anyway Truman does suck a lot for NSC-86 and permawar and Korea and inventing Cold War liberalism

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Since Truman wasn't a MTW, he is dead to me

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
what a stupid troll, the real article is

quote:

Horror on the Teleprompter
by Paul Heideman

Trump's State of the Union was a terrifying address that promised terror for immigrants at home and saber-rattling abroad.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
holy poo poo, excellent detective work........i had been fooled

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

bruenig is a saint!!!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
MATT BRUENIG INNOCENT!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Man this guy really went downhill after the first few seasons of the Simpsons huh