Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If grid girls are a "tradition", then so is Cigarette advertising and that's gone too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The gridpersons should all be holograms.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
F1 was going to fix overtaking but they literally took all the guys on the "make overtaking better" department and moved them to the "let's get rid of grid girls" department. Sad!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Liberty needs to take action and make it standard that teams sell NASCAR style driver t-shirts.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is superficial garbage unless it is part of a larger change to actually get women into F1 seats. It is just putting the MEN ONLY sign behind some shrubbery so people can't take photos of it.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

This is superficial garbage unless it is part of a larger change to actually get women into F1 seats. It is just putting the MEN ONLY sign behind some shrubbery so people can't take photos of it.

LOL if you think this happens with Jorda on the board.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In order to get women into F1 seats there needs to be more of them entering. It will take time, and probably a great deal of it, before we see one.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If you had identified someone like Legge or De Silvestro at a younger age you could've easily developed them into a driver who's at least competent enough to hack it in F1. You really have to attack the problem from both directions - encourage young girls to join and stay in racing, which is how you develop drivers who could actually win races/titles, but make a concerted effort from the top down to get a female driver into F1 to prove to those young girls that it's a dream worth pursuing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

In order to get women into F1 seats there needs to be more of them entering. It will take time, and probably a great deal of it, before we see one.

Liberty could do what Bernie did and influence the placement of drivers from certain countries but promote more women up the lower formulas. It would not happen overnight though, but it is something that could realistically be done.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

If you had identified someone like Legge or De Silvestro at a younger age you could've easily developed them into a driver who's at least competent enough to hack it in F1. You really have to attack the problem from both directions - encourage young girls to join and stay in racing, which is how you develop drivers who could actually win races/titles, but make a concerted effort from the top down to get a female driver into F1 to prove to those young girls that it's a dream worth pursuing.

Change happens very slowly in F1/Grand Prix Racing. To use another example look how long it took for non-white drivers to start appearing in any significant number.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also by "one" I mean a woman with a full-time ride. Lella Lombardi and Desiree Wilson were talented enough to hack it in F1 but were largely stuck in poo poo cars with no funding.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Change happens very slowly in F1/Grand Prix Racing. To use another example look how long it took for non-white drivers to start appearing in any significant number.

Yes but as I said, there are several current female racing drivers who obviously could've been good enough to be a decent pay driver. De Silvestro was extremely close to achieving that. If Liberty said the team that put a female driver in a racing seat would get $5m, it'd happen in the next three years probably.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Agreed, this by itself is well overdue, but it shouldn't be taken as 'job done'. Showing a willingness to stand up to the casual misogyny that is seen as tradition because F1 happens to have started in early 20th century helps undermine the acceptance of those same attitudes. It's exactly the often unconscious bias which leads to the exclusion women in from many roles, including race seats.

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 31, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I asked my teenage daughters what they think of the grid girls, one of which as I mentioned is actually actively trying to get into F1, and they laughed and said they were for “sad old men” and “really pathetic”

If the intention is to get more viewers into the sport then cutting something that gets laughed at, or annoys over half your potential audience is probably a sensible choice.

Won’t somebody think of the fitness models, dirty old men, and horny teenage boys is hardly a substantial argument for keeping them.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I want an all women open-wheel racing series with grid boys.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Every small change contributes to larger change. You don't hate on a change because it isn't an instant fix that's loving stupid.

If we ever want to fix the sexism in motorsport it's gonna be one stupid little change at a time.

What would you change to fix sexism in motorsport eh? This is a (small) step in the right direction and we should be cheering it and pushing for more women in motorsport.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

That grid girls have stopped anyone getting into the sport is not a testable argument. Come on, people.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sulman posted:

That grid girls have stopped anyone getting into the sport is not a testable argument. Come on, people.

No one is making that argument. Always odd to me when people take the other side of an argument that doesn't exist. Wonder why they do that.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Sulman posted:

holy poo poo missing the fuuuucking poooint

Grid girls on their own didn't stop anything yes thank you.

The pervasive sexism and misogyny in motorsport DOES KEEP WOMEN OUT. This is provably testable because THERE ARE NO loving WOMEN IN MOTORSPORT.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe they are bad

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There are women in Motorsport but few at the top levels.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

maybe they are bad

They can still drive for the scud in that case.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Human Grand Prix posted:

There are women in Motorsport but few at the top levels.

The point is when my future daughter is watching a F1 broadcast the only women who are on the screen 99% of the time are grid girls or fans and that is a problem to me. If that's okay with you then I guess go loving lobby for more grid girls and poo poo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Lou Takki posted:

The point is when my future daughter is watching a F1 broadcast the only women who are on the screen 99% of the time are grid girls or fans and that is a problem to me. If that's okay with you then I guess go loving lobby for more grid girls and poo poo.

Maybe start by teaching your imaginary daughter not to idolize the human trashbowl that is TV.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Maybe start by teaching your imaginary daughter not to idolize the human trashbowl that is TV.

Is this a serious post?

You're a sad man 1500quid.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yes I'm shockingly saying you shouldn't look to television for role models.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My actual daughters just want to see fast cars and clever engineering and tend to ask uncomfortable questions like “if this is a mixed gender sport then where are all the girls?” On reflection I think it would be a good thing if I didn’t go “look there is one there” and “holding the signs”

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

gently caress me, guess I had it all wrong. God forbid a child watches a sport on TV and likes a driver, or a team, or a SPORT.

Have you never liked a driver?

Have you never watched anything on TV and thought to yourself "Wow, I'd like to do that poo poo someday".

No one, especially yourself, has made a single loving argument in favor of keeping grid girls aside from "boobs".

Go gently caress yourself, you're purposely misrepresenting what I'm saying to try to make some bullshit point because not using women as sex objects on TV apparently offends you.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

learnincurve posted:

My actual daughters just want to see fast cars and clever engineering and tend to ask uncomfortable questions like “if this is a mixed gender sport then where are all the girls?” On reflection I think it would be a good thing if I didn’t go “look there is one there” and “holding the signs”

This right here.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

1500quidporsche posted:

My daughters are not looking at television for role models, they are looking at motorsports both in real life and on television for role models that will inspire their actual futures. I’d quite like the biggest and most technologically advanced sport in the world not to seem like it’s excluding them. Grid girls are a small part of the problem but it’s one of the easy fixes so why not get rid of them?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lou Takki posted:

Have you never watched anything on TV and thought to yourself "Wow, I'd like to do that poo poo someday".

Yes. I wanted to be a race car driver. Then I asked my dad and he said no because it's too expensive.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

TV is a very good place to find role models. Note that this is not the same thing as saying "everyone on TV is a good role model"

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Human Grand Prix posted:

Yes. I wanted to be a race car driver. Then I asked my dad and he said no because it's too expensive.

I'm looking forward to disappointing my children when they find out I'm unable to fund their motorsport careers.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Gigi Galli posted:

It shoudl be this, like the mascots in football. I think it's fun and you end up with cute moments like when a child asked Adam Ounas who the hell he was while walking on to the pitch.

poty fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 3, 2018

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I want an all women open-wheel racing series with grid boys.

This does not look good next to your avatar

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Serious question: what driver on the grid right now is a good role model? I'm genuinely curious to find out which driver is worthy enough to mold a young child's mind.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fernando Alonso

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Serious question: what driver on the grid right now is a good role model? I'm genuinely curious to find out which driver is worthy enough to mold a young child's mind.

Bottas
Ricciardo
Grosjean (bit of a whiner but wrote a cookbook with his wife, adorable)

That's all I'm willing to commit to.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

What do you think a role model is? They're not about personally counselling a child through his adolescence, it's about providing a positive example of whatever it is they do.

So to answer your question, about 30% of the grid are good motorsport role models. Lewis is a great music and fashion role model, Massa was a decent example of how to not let a crippling brain injury ruin your career. Alonso is a great sunglasses role model...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hülkenberg

• Locked thread