Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The real ending is that Kvothe is going to be so good at both magic and sex that he destroys Denna and manages to obliterate any trace of her throughout the world. Everyone who actually managed to know who she was will forget she ever existed, and any action Kvothe took for her benefit is retroactively erased. Master Ash is the public face of whatever Chandrian member needs to discretely but publicly control fate, and the whole thing has been an elaborate plan to not only eliminate the Edema Ruh, but also completely discredit the one that managed to survive before killing him themselves. They're letting him tell this story so that the Chronicler can research its veracity and find literally nothing supporting what he's said, and he publishes instead a book of lies. Broken and defeated, Kvothe's bar is burnt down with him inside it, and Bast gets whatever was in that wooden chest in payment from the Chandrian for keeping Kvothe tied to that location for so long. Everyone is happy that Kvothe is dead, and learns to live alongside the spider things.

The movie's going to be successful regardless, just from word of mouth, and the fact that LMM is signed on for the TV series, at least, but probably not as successful as Lionsgate thinks. The show will get some traction, and there'll be some decent enough action pieces in some episodes, but I don't even know that they'll reach the University by the end of the first episode, which would really just be awful. When they reach a point that an entire episode is dedicated to Kvothe loving a fairy and talking to a tree, and then another to teaching ninjas how sex works, will probably be the breaking point for most people. They'll nominally finish the Wise Man's Fear story, but probably not get renewed for Doors of Stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Benson Cunningham posted:

Sam Raimi directed Legend of the Seeker, the TV show 'based' on the Sword of Truth series (fantasy bondage Randism)

There is no more fitting punishment a man like Rothfuss could receive.

Apparently the show cuts out the stupid Randian bullshit and is mostly a generic fantasy story that's vaguely based on the books

source: my sister who loves that show and is super lefty. maybe she's just making excuses.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

Apparently the show cuts out the stupid Randian bullshit and is mostly a generic fantasy story that's vaguely based on the books

source: my sister who loves that show and is super lefty. maybe she's just making excuses.

Nah, she's on the money. The books are hot garbage but the series is camp that's basically Hercules or Xena Lite.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the reaction to the show from people who thought the books were an objectivist red pill was delightful

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Legend of the seeker is amazing. The show never took itself too seriously. You could really tell the actors were having a good time. They also cast people who were basically unknown at the time. And they Didn't shirk at putting them in super Hot leather outfits because of capital F feminism. It was just good old fashion trashy sword and sorcery wish fulfillment fantasy.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

Legend of the seeker is amazing. The show never took itself too seriously. You could really tell the actors were having a good time. They also cast people who were basically unknown at the time. And they Didn't shirk at putting them in super Hot leather outfits because of capital F feminism. It was just good old fashion trashy sword and sorcery wish fulfillment fantasy.

And Zedd!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BananaNutkins posted:

What is it with Internet weirdos and completely Random capitalized words in The middle of a Sentence? (Ironically, somehow not including the one that he went out of his way to capitalize.)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'll watch the TV series if Eddie Redmayne plays Kvothe and also completely changes his dialog.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sam Raimi seems way too interesting for this story

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What is it with Internet weirdos and completely Random capitalized words in The middle of a Sentence? (Ironically, somehow not including the one that he went out of his way to capitalize.)

It's a Samsung Galaxy Feature.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Things We Will Find Out In Doors Of Stone:

Denna is a Lackless and is the Maer's step-niece
Denna marries Ambrose.
Kvothe's kingkilling puts Ambrose on the throne, and Sim dead too.
The Edema Ruh are the original Singers
Denna's hair knot 'beautiful' was singer magic and actually did make her more beautiful.
Singers power involve altering perception and the memory of events.
Denna's song about Lanre, Selios, Tehlu et al will alter the worlds perception of history and screws with kvothe
Denna eventually uses that same power to permanently get rid of her creepy stalker and inadvertently turns kvothe useless.
Master Loren is a member of the Amyr, as are most senior archivists.

And what I think would be good but is not going to happen: Kote isn't Kvothe, and Kvothe has definitely been dead for a long time, but Bast, Denna, and crew have been using some heavy duty perception altering magic to convince this dumb red head inn keep that he is in fact Kvothe, but more so that he can valiantly sacrifice himself as a redhering and distraction rather than because any of them want that rear end in a top hat back from the dead.

Whoever was the Rothfus alt-account reading this thread I will gladly ghost write book 3 for free just so it can be done with and we can all go home and have some closure.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think Kvothe renamed himself (completely) to Kote. It's foreshadowed way to much and Rothfuss isn't a creative enough writer to change it up. I'll make some predictions as well:

- The Chandrian will not show up, or if they do they will be the good guys
- Bast stays awesome and turns out to be the "End Boss"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Alternate Alternate ending: Kote the Tarbean orphan who escaped a life of poverty and once met denna on a caravan was never kvothe. Denna was the real daughter of the lackless runaway who hitched with an Edema Ruh, was the one who went to the university and does magic. Now they're crafting a stooge to take the heat of the law off Denna who killed a certain royal dandy. They're making the story of Kvothe up nearly from scratch based on all the men who chased Denna throughout her cursed life.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

M_Gargantua posted:

Alternate Alternate ending: Kote the Tarbean orphan who escaped a life of poverty and once met denna on a caravan was never kvothe. Denna was the real daughter of the lackless runaway who hitched with an Edema Ruh, was the one who went to the university and does magic. Now they're crafting a stooge to take the heat of the law off Denna who killed a certain royal dandy. They're making the story of Kvothe up nearly from scratch based on all the men who chased Denna throughout her cursed life.

That actually sounds like an interesting story.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I would want to read it if that happened but we know what's going to happen.

Book 3 is never coming out.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think people might have misinterpreted what I meant about Sam Raimi re: Legend of the Seeker.

I had the great misfortune to read the whole Sword of Truth series when I was young, impressionable, and above all, stupid. And regardless of how awful the books were, the key point here is that the show, from an author's perspective, took a big old poo poo on the story, voice, and tone. It must have ruined Terry Goodkind to see that his fantasy objectivist novels were turned into genre trash for the TV show.

I'm hoping a similar set of circumstances befall Rothfuss. Basically a Monkey's paw TV show deal.

Edit: vvvv Indeed

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 2, 2018

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Doesn't Goodkind claim his books aren't fantasy because they're about the eternal truth of Randroidism?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Real alternative ending: Brandon Sanderson is hired to finish the series.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Why would you wish that on Brandon Sanderson?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I think at this point Sanderson is too busy and successful enough on his own to do that.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
It's pretty sad that Sanderson and Rothfuss are the two best known names in modern fantasy.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sanderson at least finishes his books, if anything he's too prolific. I have never read a Sanderson book so I can't comment on the writing but 'magic is a DnD rulebook that drives the plot' sounds like something I never want to read.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

my bony fealty posted:

Sanderson at least finishes his books, if anything he's too prolific. I have never read a Sanderson book so I can't comment on the writing but 'magic is a DnD rulebook that drives the plot' sounds like something I never want to read.

They're not terrible but they are really formulaic and the characters aren't that strong.

On the other hand loving :lol: Sanderson finishes his poo poo!! Which is better than noted male feminist internet fantasy hack Patrick Rothfart

mystes
May 31, 2006

I want to say that Sanderson has no redeeming qualities, but i guess he does finish his work with such perfect precision that he's like a turd of the month club.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I read a bit of some Oathbringer sample chapters

...this is YA, right?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

I read a bit of some Oathbringer sample chapters

...this is YA, right?

It never gets better. What you're reading is peak Sanderson. He does not change or improve in any meaningful way.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Read The Emperors Soul, if you don't like it you're forever lost to the world and going to claim "Genre fiction is trash" to your deathbed. You'll exclusively read high brow literature and still be constantly disappointed, but at least smugly disappointed, at it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

HIJK posted:

It never gets better. What you're reading is peak Sanderson. He does not change or improve in any meaningful way.

Euurghhh. Well, makes sense that he's so popular, at least. Easily digestible and very "here is what is happening. here is how character is feeling."

I read plenty of iffy genre books with mediocre writing but something about this Sanderson fella feels so....lifeless. Sure he's not a predictive text generating AI?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

my bony fealty posted:

Sure he's not a predictive text generating AI?

No, thats American hero Chuck Tingle

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Euurghhh. Well, makes sense that he's so popular, at least. Easily digestible and very "here is what is happening. here is how character is feeling."

I read plenty of iffy genre books with mediocre writing but something about this Sanderson fella feels so....lifeless. Sure he's not a predictive text generating AI?

In some ways that's exactly what he is. He has an entire lecture series on Youtube on how to construct formulaic stories. It's interesting in a nuts and bolts kind of way but generating text based off a kind of equation is precisely what he does.

true leftist
Feb 1, 2018

by zen death robot
killing me shitly with his dong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

M_Gargantua posted:

Read The Emperors Soul, if you don't like it you're forever lost to the world and going to claim "Genre fiction is trash" to your deathbed. You'll exclusively read high brow literature and still be constantly disappointed, but at least smugly disappointed, at it.
Really sticking it to a completely unrelated poster here.

true leftist posted:

Welcome back. :unsmith:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Sanderson is utilitarian to an extreme. It feels like an RPG rulebook turned into a fiction series for the type of person to whom empathy is a superpower.

They're perfectly serviceable books. But if I learn that Sanderson is actually a sophisticated Markov Chain generator I wouldn't be surprised.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Emperor's Soul is best Sanderson but not best of the genre.

I don't know who is best of the genre, maybe Gene Wolfe. Though Joe Abercrombie is probably my favorite.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

People always bring up the Emperor's Soul in defense of Sanderson, but honestly? That book is a fluke.

I added up the page counts of kindle versions of his solo books on Amazon. I got a total of 10,509 pages, 144 of which are the Emperor's Soul. That's roughly 1%, which means that ~99% of his output reads like the fluff text in a D&D player's handbook.

Sanderson is the textbook definition of quantity over quality, imo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

true leftist posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I don't know what it is that compels you to post in this thread with every rereg, but I want you to know that I really appreciate it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Khizan posted:

Sanderson is the textbook definition of quantity over quality, imo.

To be fair, he's also not bad. Neither his writing or his personal history (afaik) are problematic. In an industry that is rife with hosed up authors writing dog whistle screeds on issues they know nothing on that alone garners value.

Reading Sanderson's latest doorstopper won't improve your life much. It also doesn't push hosed up ideas on race or religion or economics or philosophy.

It's entertainment for entertainment's sake. It's a way to fill time. At worst it is aggressively mediocre.

And even mediocrity can have moments of brilliance.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

PJOmega posted:

It's entertainment for entertainment's sake. It's a way to fill time. At worst it is aggressively mediocre.
There is no greater crime in art than mediocrity.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yes, because me and all his other fans enjoying his work is a waste of "art"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Nakar posted:

There is no greater crime in art than mediocrity.

The greatest crime in art is leaving something unfinished like a certain author I know