Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

That’s a good banjo!

Thanks! That's good to know... Exactly what I was hoping for :)

Inspector 34 posted:

Nice! I've been meaning to try and learn how to play for a long time. My dad has played forever and started building banjos over the last few years since he retired, he insists that I learn to play guitar before he'll let me borrow one of his 13(!!!) banjos...

Do you have experience playing other instruments?

I only just started talking guitar lessons a few years ago, but I've also got some background in music from school. Honestly the thing that got me started playing after years of not having touched an instrument was just spending 15-30 minutes a day, every day, playing and working my way through the suckiness, frustration, and initial building up callouses. I don't know if learning guitar is necessary, but I think it might be a more popularly supported instrument to learn, and maybe help teach the habit of practice?

I do highly recommend learning guitar for anyone though, it's such a chill stress reliever, and the feeling of accomplishment and constant improvement is pretty great.

Planet X posted:

Come post in the banjo bluegrass thread in musicians lounge!

Awesome, thanks! Didn't know we had one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Flat minimal shoes are the best but it’s a shame chucks are made for not human feet and crush anything wider than 3 inches.

Truth.

Used to only wear steel toed work boots. Started wearing “barefoot” shoes and now I wear nothing else.

They seem like a load of hippie earth loving new age bullshit. But my feet loving love me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are barefoot shoes the one that look like gorilla feet? No thanks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

In my case yeah. Gorillas are rad though.

Horse Clocks posted:

Truth.

Used to only wear steel toed work boots. Started wearing “barefoot” shoes and now I wear nothing else.

They seem like a load of hippie earth loving new age bullshit. But my feet loving love me.

The first time I had a workout wearing vibrams outside was a loving revelation. It’s a wonderful experience.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Flat minimal shoes are the best but it’s a shame chucks are made for not human feet and crush anything wider than 3 inches.

Yeah, I have slightly wide feet, not wide enough to need wides in pretty much every brand, but Chucks aren't even close to fitting my feet right. I got some Addidas Stan Smith's which are really similar that are knit and stretch and those feel way better, but they look a little weird on my feet because you can see them bulge out a little bit near the balls of my feet. It's a shame because I love the shoes, they just look sort of mehh on me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Reebok makes crossfit shoes (yeah I know) that are basically hi-top chucks but have a wide-rear end toebox and I love mine even though they have CROSSFIT EXTREME ATHLETE poo poo all over them.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

Reebok makes crossfit shoes (yeah I know) that are basically hi-top chucks but have a wide-rear end toebox and I love mine even though they have CROSSFIT EXTREME ATHLETE poo poo all over them.

Got a link to the pair you got?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mu Zeta posted:

Are barefoot shoes the one that look like gorilla feet? No thanks.

I think it includes all minimalist shoes. Basically shoes with thin flat soles with no support.

They are the best. They might need some getting used to if you're not frequently barefoot at home though. Or if you're older and never developed any muscle in your feet

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

It's a dry read, but well worth it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Coredump posted:

Got a link to the pair you got?

https://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Mens-Crossfit-Lite-Training/dp/B00P2LDSTW

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Apparently the 70s repro Chucks are supposed to have a much more comfortable sole

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Chuck 2s had nice soles but I think they stopped making them.

Honestly though I pretty much only wear chucks and I think they’re comfortable enough :shrug:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The pair of CT2s I had fell apart in about half the time as a regular pair. They were more comfortable while they lasted though.

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Chuck 2's also make a wonderful squeaking sound with every step you take.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would kill for these in plain black or cool weird colors. Why do they have to have the text :cry:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would kill for these in plain black or cool weird colors. Why do they have to have the text :cry:

because telling people you do crossfit gets tiring after the 100th time daily. with these shoes you can just point down and then kip off into the sky.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

Apparently the 70s repro Chucks are supposed to have a much more comfortable sole

I've got a pair of 70s, two pairs of 1990s produced Chucks (back when they were still made in America), and a pair of Chuck 2s in addition to multiple pairs of modern ones made in China and Vietnam.

Vintage pairs made in America and the All Star 70s repros both have canvas that's drat near twice as thick, no felt on the sole to get around import laws, better rubber, and a more comfortable footbed. Overall they're worlds ahead of the regular pairs that you can buy for $50 today, but you have to pay a premium for them.

The only advantage modern Chucks have is that the new canvas blend they use is much tougher, so it won't start getting holes in it after years like vintage pairs. This is a Monkey's Paw situation because the inner and outer soles will start separating much faster so you need to repair or toss the shoes long before you get holes in the upper.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

PF Flyers are basically chucks with arch support. I have no idea why they're not more popular, they're way more comfortable.

Plus they still make (near) replicas of the ones that Benny The Jet Rodgriguez wears in the Sandlot:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Probably because that logo is loving atrocious

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah life is good because I have long skinny flat feet and chucks fit like a glove.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Jan 31, 2018

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

They’re incredible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rolo posted:

They’re incredible.

Gonna have to eventually fold and buy these. I listen to the stock earpods way too much to not justify upgrading. How's the sound quality? Noticeably better than the cheapo wired ones?

Anyone got a recommendation for a desk soundsystem? Looking for something to use as a bluetooth stereo and a computer sound system with 2 monitors + sub. Or point me to the right thread please.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bottom Liner posted:

Gonna have to eventually fold and buy these. I listen to the stock earpods way too much to not justify upgrading. How's the sound quality? Noticeably better than the cheapo wired ones?

Anyone got a recommendation for a desk soundsystem? Looking for something to use as a bluetooth stereo and a computer sound system with 2 monitors + sub. Or point me to the right thread please.

I came to these from the wired ones. The sound quality is surprisingly good, I can definitely hear a (better) difference in bass quality with the AirPods, and not having a cord pulling on your ears is noticeable once you get rid of it. Each one of these things weighs only 4g and I immediately forget i have them in. Microphone quality is very good, being able to set what happens when you tap each one is cool, the connectivity with the w1 chip is easy and having Apple Watch support means I can just lock my phone in my car when I go to the gym or store.

Also, you can go to Apple and test drive them! They have sealed, sterile trial pairs they let people try if they’re actually interested.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

LifeSunDeath posted:

because telling people you do crossfit gets tiring after the 100th time daily. with these shoes you can just point down and then kip off into the sky.

lmao

Argyle posted:

PF Flyers are basically chucks with arch support. I have no idea why they're not more popular, they're way more comfortable.

Plus they still make (near) replicas of the ones that Benny The Jet Rodgriguez wears in the Sandlot:

I’ve considered those. They’re pretty sick. How is the width?

Bottom Liner posted:

I absolutely love the AirPods more than any headphones or earbuds I’ve owned. The sound quality is better than the EarPods. I think of them as EarPods but lightweight and improved. There’s more depth to the bass, mids and highs sound more full. They’re not $300 studio monitors of course but I can’t imagine not being happy with the sound unless you’re extremely picky and expecting something they’re not. I always pick those over my Denons.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Airpod sounds is just OK IMO but they're the first apple product in a long time that has that apple magic, from form to function.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

FishBulb posted:

Probably because that logo is loving atrocious

I don't know, I would try one of their burger and fries if I drove by.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've owned two pairs of those sandlot PF Flyers over the years and they are comfortable and cool.

I had some old guy stop me one time and go "Wow I didn't know they still made PF Flyers! Where did you get those?!". He wanted to buy a pair like he had when he was a kid :shobon:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought a Mission backpack. The small one in green.

$185 is steep for a bag but there aren't many weatherproof bags that aren't a bunch of tacticool bullshit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Mission Workshop is good stuff and that will last you a lifetime. Is it the 14L?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bottom Liner posted:

Mission Workshop is good stuff and that will last you a lifetime. Is it the 14L?

Yeah. There were two different versions but the store page didn't mention differences even though one was 10 bux more.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Inzombiac posted:

I bought a Mission backpack. The small one in green.

$185 is steep for a bag but there aren't many weatherproof bags that aren't a bunch of tacticool bullshit.

these bags look good, but i need that urban camo in my life

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you have pets for some reason the material on the Mission Workshop bags vacuum them up eagerly.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mu Zeta posted:

If you have pets for some reason the material on the Mission Workshop bags vacuum them up eagerly.

The bags vacuum up the pets?!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Er, the fur I meant. I think it's because of the abrasive texture.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

They’re incredible.

Best new Apple product in 5 years from a design standpoint.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Mu Zeta posted:

I’ve had my mission workshop bag for 4 years now I think. This is literally my only complaint about it. Besides the pet hair the thing looks brand new.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I’ve had my mission workshop bag for 4 years now I think. This is literally my only complaint about it. Besides the pet hair the thing looks brand new.

How are the shoulder straps holding up? They were my surprise favorite thing about my GoRuck. Coming up on 3 years having that and the only thing that's worn out is a shrink wrapped cover on all zipper.

Good, durable backpacks are the best.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

They look totally brand new. The other nice thing about mission workshop bags is that the straps are user replaceable. They're held on (and swap-able) via velcro.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not technically purchased yet, but all set to pick these up from a CL seller on Saturday:

V V V Bowling alley, actually. Might have to settle for lawn bowling, don't think my yard or basement is regulation length. V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Feb 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not technically purchased yet, but all set to pick these up from a CL seller on Saturday:

Are you building a small Greyhound station in your backyard?