Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pauly Shore
May 3, 2009

Life's about greasing the 'do back, buddy, and wheezin' on the buff-fest
Traded a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue + Cash for this semihollow Jazzmaster partscaster with Mastery Bridge and Rothstein loaded pickguard with Novak pickups.

Hope the pictures aren’t table breakers. Posting from mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hey please don't lock your doors tonight

for reasons

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god. :swoon:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That thing is insane and I love it

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have a Fender Stratocaster that looks like the younger less talented brother to that guitar. Very similar (if not same) finish/pickguard.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Nice Jazzer! I got the Mastery too, and I doubt I'd ever look back either.

Pulled mine out since it's been hiding in a case for too long. :sweatdrop:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Pablo Gigante posted:

That thing is insane and I love it
That f-hole. :psyduck:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

JMs are probably tied for my favorite style guitar along with 335s. Mine is out with a buddy of mine for a setup at the moment and I’m hella excited to play it once I get it back

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Nothing too exciting, but I've always hated the look of my '89 Squier II Strat. It was my first guitar, and it plays great, but it's about as far away from a traditional Strat look as you can get while still having the word "Stratocaster" on the headstock.

I don't have any before pictures, but it looked identical to this one I found online:

It's just so drat boring. Ordered a $5 accessory kit and now it looks like this:

I couldn't find a white pickup ring that wouldn't take ages to get here, so I just painted the old one. I've never painted plastic before, and I was surprised at how well it took the paint.

The old knobs have been donated to my RG120, which has been knobless since the day I bought it.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Nothing fancy but makes switching tunings a hell of a lot easier.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Ordered today.

I texted Pete Petty, the lead guitarist of My 3 Sons, who has this amazing fake-rotary tone that I just loving love to death when he uses it. He used to get it using this incredibly weird device:

The E.W.S. ARION SCH-Z [CHORUS/VIBE] Mod. It's twirly whirly squirrally crazy awesome and it's hard to believe it began life as an Arion product, which I consider to be universally poo poo.

At his last show he had the same effect going but he was getting it from this guy:

The Way Huge WHE601 Blue Hippo MKII.

I texted him and said, "If, today, you had neither pedal but wanted that crazy rotary sound, would you choose the modded Arion or the Blue Hippo?"
He responded with, "Blue Hippo is my favorite."

So I ordered the one shown in the Reverb link.

I include the description here for pedal guys like Dang It Bhabhi to consider. I have no idea how to use it the way Pete does, but I took pictures of it at his last show so I should be able to figure it out!

quote:

Check it out, the Way Huge WHE601 Blue Hippo MKII Limited Edition (only 900 made). This famous and sought after Chorus pedals designed by pedal guru Jeorge Tripps has returned better than ever with an extra vibrato switch for vibrato pulse and swirl to classic tones. Bucket Brigade Chips and warm analog sounds a plenty are to be had with these awesome pedals. All warranties, original packaging, Way Huge swag are included as we are proud dealers. As a bonus we're including 2) Strukture cloth covered patch cables ($15 value), so hurry as these pedals are limited edition and we only have a few left.

From a recent review:
There’s great depth and complexity to the Blue Hippo—both in the harmonic color you hear at every point on the modulation curve, and in its subtle-to-submarine chorus textures. The sonic likeness to the original CE-2 is often uncanny. But there’s EHX Polychorus color in the mix too, especially at deep settings.

The Blue Hippo’s deep, warbly modulation is intoxicating. But I also love the subtler side of the pedal’s persona. Slow speeds and mellow depth settings in the lower third of the control’s range gave electric 12-string arpeggios extra body and a pretty touch of animation. The sonic sum can almost serve as a boost in a mix, highlighting critical high-mid content via a touch of extra motion. It’s almost counterintuitive, given how modulation effects like tremolo can create a perceived volume drop. But it works, and in a hip way that you might not immediately perceive as chorusing.

The Hippo is also a great match for fuzz. Paired with a silicon Fuzz Face clone, it did a better job communicating the swirling, unhinged soulfulness of Hendrix’s circa-’70 fuzz-plus-Uni-Vibe tones than many Uni-Vibe-inspired pedals I’ve played. The harmonic richness and nuanced modulation curves that make clean chorused tones sound so rich also excite high-mid fuzz content, adding presence rather than obscuring the signal.

The real bonus is vibe mode. While there may be more complex or versatile vibratos out there, it isn’t easy finding a BBD-driven one at an affordable price. The MKII’s vibe is beautifully deep. It can be disorienting or subtle, depending on your depth settings. It’s got shadowy authority in the lows and low-mids that adds modulation weight you just don't get from many digital vibratos.
Here's what the good folks at Way Huge have to say about this cool limited edition pedal:

The Blue Hippo returns with it's famously diverse range of luscious, liquified tones - and then some! The MKII retains the MKI pedal's easy to use control setup, which takes you from lush tone-widening to full-on rotating speaker modulation madness from the depths of the Marianas Trench. But now, there's a vibe switch for adding some thick vibrato goodness to your aqueous tones. Don't wade into the water without your Blue Hippo Chorus MKII.

Will report back once I've added it to the signal chain and learned how to use it. I already have a tc electronic Corona Chorus, so it feels weird adding another chorus to the chain; but this one will be used for a very singular sound.

Here's a YouTube video of Pete and M3S where he is using the Arion. You will definitely hear when he turns it on.

It comes on at 0:27. It's just neat and I love it. He gets the same thing out of the Blue Hippo, somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB_iQnjUPgI

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

praxis posted:

Whaddup, Drop-wielding buddy! :hfive:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ordered today.

I texted Pete Petty, the lead guitarist of My 3 Sons,
Those are some funky white boys. I enjoyed that. To me, it does just sound like a pretty watery chorus. I almost think you could make it happen with even just an EHX Small Clone, if you futzed around w/it enough. Fun stuff! Good luck dialing in the tone; I'm sure you'll figure it out!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Since the new place has a downstairs neighbor, I bought a rug for soundproofing!

:ninja: Also, if you make your Perception check, you'll find there's a pedal in there!

I actually made good on the promise to not buy any gear until we moved again. A couple days before the move, I went into my old music store to kill time waiting to get a prescription filled, and offhandedly asked about a used C9. And it turns out they had just bought one, so it was still in Pawn Hold! Since I couldn't actually pick it up until after the move, it counts, right?

I've been playing baritone a lot for the Secret Protest Band (that protests my Main Band), and that's just been a blast with the C9. Still getting the hang of hitting just right to not double trigger, but I'll get there.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ordered today.

I texted Pete Petty, the lead guitarist of My 3 Sons, who has this amazing fake-rotary tone that I just loving love to death when he uses it. He used to get it using this incredibly weird device:

The E.W.S. ARION SCH-Z [CHORUS/VIBE] Mod. It's twirly whirly squirrally crazy awesome and it's hard to believe it began life as an Arion product, which I consider to be universally poo poo.

At his last show he had the same effect going but he was getting it from this guy:

The Way Huge WHE601 Blue Hippo MKII.

I texted him and said, "If, today, you had neither pedal but wanted that crazy rotary sound, would you choose the modded Arion or the Blue Hippo?"
He responded with, "Blue Hippo is my favorite."

So I ordered the one shown in the Reverb link.

I include the description here for pedal guys like Dang It Bhabhi to consider. I have no idea how to use it the way Pete does, but I took pictures of it at his last show so I should be able to figure it out!

Will report back once I've added it to the signal chain and learned how to use it. I already have a tc electronic Corona Chorus, so it feels weird adding another chorus to the chain; but this one will be used for a very singular sound.

Here's a YouTube video of Pete and M3S where he is using the Arion. You will definitely hear when he turns it on.

It comes on at 0:27. It's just neat and I love it. He gets the same thing out of the Blue Hippo, somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB_iQnjUPgI

Arions are often good circuits inside poo poo enclosures (like Behringers). The Blue Hippo is most likely a Boss CE-3 with some mods that seem to make it much more interesting.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Arions are often good circuits inside poo poo enclosures (like Behringers).
Been thinking about buying that $25 Behringer Super Fuzz clone. How easy would it be to just swap it into a different chassis or something?

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Wark Say posted:

Whaddup, Drop-wielding buddy! :hfive:

:whatup:

Seriously, I don't get why the gently caress my guitarist is carting around 4 guitars and constantly having to switch.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
2 guitars are enough if you have one tuning (meaning going down 1 step from EADGBE to DGCFAD and such). Otherwise, tell him to cowboy the gently caress up and buy a Digitech Drop.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

betterinsodapop posted:

Been thinking about buying that $25 Behringer Super Fuzz clone. How easy would it be to just swap it into a different chassis or something?

Shouldn't be too hard, just a bit fiddly to get everything out and rehoused.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

praxis posted:

Do these really work? I was always kind of suspicious but I am also lazy as hell and switch between tunings a lot

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

Do these really work? I was always kind of suspicious but I am also lazy as hell and switch between tunings a lot
It's recommended that your guitar has something that keeps your tuning stability (locking tuners, evertune bridge), but yeah, they work.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Seems like you could just tune once when you start to be sure you're correct and then use it to switch rapidly between things in a session?

I'm pretty interested now, but I think I'm saving for the brent hinds terror first. It has a real good feature set I think.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New old guitar day, $40 at the pawn shop for a Global Hummingbird copy. Likely Made in Korea, no idea on age, but there's an inspected by sticker that has a date I can't quite read

Face of the headstock has some damage, but nothing beyond that. Structurally sound, plays pretty good, and someone replaced the tuners and put on fresh strings before dumping it at the pawn shop for probably $10.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shugojin posted:

For me there was too much latency (barely noticeable if noticeable at all to most people) and the sound/feel wasn’t right but I’m picky as hell when it comes to those kind of pedals. I would absolutely recommend it though. Does what it says on the tin better than anything else I’ve tried. Just don’t expect it to be the same as actually downtuning.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Shugojin posted:

I'm happy with it. I haven't noticed any issues with latency and it does what it says it will do. I've heard that it can get a little unreliable if you go below 4 semitones but I generally only go down 1-2 semitones so it's not a problem.

Lena Dunham
Sep 19, 2017

I want to upgrade my monitors just for kicks and I'm thinking about getting these mainly just bc a local shop is selling them for a helluva a bargain ($450 vs $700 normally):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE66

I currently have KRK Rokit 6s. They're pretty decent but I'm looking for something w a "bigger" sound .. That and I'd like my monitors to provide a tighter bass sound, idk if that makes any sense.

Are these Presonus monitors a worthy upgrade? I figure they offer twice as many woofers and twice as much power but I'm not sure if they would provide enough of an upgrade to justify the purchase. Should I look for even better/more expensive speakers?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Finally received my lefty G&L Doheny today.
Went with these factory options:
Transparent orange finish over swamp ash
Hard-rock maple neck with satin clear finish

Chechen fingerboard, medium jumbo frets, white pearl block inlays

Graph-Tech nut
Sperzel locking tuners

3 ply tortoise shell pickguard & tremolo cover

I am uh... pretty psyched.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Nice!!!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
2nd new old guitar this week. Harmony H80T. This one is basically a copy of a 50s strat, down to the truss rod adjustment at the heel, 8 hole single ply pickguard, and knock-off Klusons. Would appear to be an early MKade in Taiwan one, not that it means much.

It's got issues, but nothing serious(broken nut and junk pots), and at $60 I'm okay spending a few bucks to get it playing.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010
In the middle of modding another guitar, I decided I want a true Bastardcaster. Red Alder, SG body shape, Tele routing, TV Jones pup slots, Strat neck pocket.

Should look something like this when it's done:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It arrived, and it's very very nice; but I must admit I feel like the dog who caught the car: Now what do I do with it?

I bought a Way Huge (Dunlop) WHE601 Blue Hippo Analog Chorus MKII. I bought it because a guitarist I really really like, a guy who's also a family friend and is insanely talented uses it for a faux-rotary effect that I really like. A lot.

(aside: if you don't know Pete Petty that's ok, no one does, but he's a combination of Jeff Beck, some Jazz guy whose name I don't know, and some awesome Funk guitarists, and he's the guitarist/songwriter for My 3 Sons which is a trio that's some sort of avant garde mix of funk, rock, and jazz that I find mind-blowing - Check out their YouTube vids and their latest CD "Who's We?", produced by John Custer.
More asides: John Custer, who taught guitar to one of my aforementioned guitarist friends in the Raleigh, NC area back in the 80s, a guitarist/instructor who landed a job with Sony/Columbia as an A&R guy and became a pretty awesome and accomplished producer. If you have heard of "Triangle-Area" bands like Cry of Love or Dag, then you know that Pete's drummer and bassist are Kenny Soule and Bobby Patterson of Dag. Custer's work with Cry of Love produced a really great first album that had several Billboard hits that you will remember if you look them up.
Last aside: Guitarist Audley Freed of Cry of Love went on to play for the Black Crowes, who totally under-utilized him. People meet him in music stores and he's super-nice and humble, but he can really play.
Great guys: John, Audley, Pete, Kenny, Bobby... anyway, that's just some history about the guy whose rotary effect inspired me to buy this pedal. /aside)

I got the pedal, and it has great sounds. I haven't tried everything yet, I just went straight for the rotary effect and drat it's gorgeous. It's very transparent, granular in that analog way, with a huge range of available tones and that's without switching on the "vibe" micro-switch.

Thing is, I can't play like Pete so I have this great thing and I realized... I don't know wtf to do with it. Oops. I'll figure something out!

Good news is it does a really good Vibratone imitation (the Fender amp SRV used on Cold Shot that so many people think is an actual Leslie rotating speaker) so when I feel like playing Cold Shot I can sound a lot more like the CD. It does lots of other stuff, too; but I already have one great chorus and I kinda knew I was buying a uni-tasker when I ordered this. The rotary sounds are a trip, but it has other beautiful chorus sounds in it that I will be playing with and maybe chaining with the tc electronic for really crazy chorus effects. Maybe. Meanwhile it's cool it has "vibe" settings but that's what I have my Fulltone MDV-3 for... but I haven't given them a chance yet.

But here it is, it's a nice build and it's currently taking the spot where my MXR EVH Phasor goes. I'll find room for it this weekend so I can put the phasor back in the chain.

A lot of words to post a lame pedal picture:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol namedropping john custer and not mentioning corrosion of conformity

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let's be fair, Doc don't strike me as a COC-kind-of-guy.

That's a wicked nice pedal, though! :)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol namedropping john custer and not mentioning corrosion of conformity
I'm from the Raleigh area and played all the open mic nights and several of the come-and-go clubs, including the Berkeley Cafe, The Switch, and other places that are long gone, so of course I know CoC; but as Wark Say said, they're not my kind of music and I wasn't sure how involved Custer was in their production. I was writing a lot of stuff that wasn't about the new gear I had bought and didn't feel like dragging it out too much more than I already had.

I did play a show at a club in Mission Valley (Snookers) in Raleigh and two of the guys from CoC were there playing pool. That was intimidating. But they don't factor into this pedal purchase while the guys from M3S do, and Cry of Love was on the Billboard charts while I was working at a certain big CD store so we checked Billboard every week. (It's really sad how the sophomore album experience broke them up and basically bankrupted them. Glad Audley landed on his feet because he's really a very sweet dude.)

I didn't mean to offend. I can say that I have unreleased stuff Custer recorded in his parents' basement back in the 80's that is, last I checked, barely extant now; because a friend from High School took lessons from him when John was just a guitarist living with his parents in Cary; and John gave him a copy.
We were all surprised by the trajectory of his career; and we were thrilled when John produced "Who's We?" It's a fantastic album and I recommend it highly.

Sorry for the derail but I was there to witness a lot of the acts that came out of the Chapel Hill/Carrboro clubs, too; which lead to the Sony/Columbia focus on Raleigh back in those days. I just wasn't planning on posting this much about it. lol indeed sorry carry on

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 10, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i was just joshin ya a little

anyway yeah he produced all their big label albums and they're by far the most famous band he's worked with

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Random purchase of the day. It’s real dumb and I love it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A friend still has 2 Scott Ian Black 13

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dewgy posted:

Random purchase of the day. It’s real dumb and I love it.

real disappointed to find out that's not a korg miku stomp modded to make your guitar go "ooh wah ah ah ah"

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I got something new for the first time in a while, saw this used (but still basically like new) and snagged it

The only question is what the shape knob does. I turn it towards И and it sounds slightly less good. I turn it towards Ν and it sounds slightly less good in a fairly similar manner. I leave it at noon and it's fine. What am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

hexwren posted:

I got something new for the first time in a while, saw this used (but still basically like new) and snagged it

The only question is what the shape knob does. I turn it towards И and it sounds slightly less good. I turn it towards Ν and it sounds slightly less good in a fairly similar manner. I leave it at noon and it's fine. What am I missing here?

My guess (never having owned one) is that that's controlling the shape of the oscillator. For the square wave, for instance, to the left would be "on for a short amount of time, off for a long amount of time", and to the right would be "on for a long amount of time, off for a short amount of time". In the middle would be on/off for approximately equal intervals.

Similarly with the N shaped ones, to the left is "volume starts low and increases", to the right would be "volume starts high and decreases".

If I'm right, you should be able to tell the difference fairly easily if you slow down the rate a lot and turn up the depth.