Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Make Valentine laugh and relax (1), we've been a bit hard on her.

You can pick the false choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Just a bit of a lark, old bean

Votes for the vote God

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memorable tips and let us vote

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Scare and you pick

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Pangurban posted:

The parallel's between Rory Wintermint and Bertie Wooster are very, very real.

This author wants so badly be Wodehouse, it hurts. Sadly for them, though, Wodehouse was funny.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Laugh and we will vote - but feel free to call the vote sooner.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

for laffs

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

rchandra actually raises a good compromise I can't believe I didn't think of. I'll just call that vote a bit early.

And I know this game's writing style isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm glad that overall people seem to be enjoying it, and I'm really glad that I've convinced a few people to check it out who might not have otherwise. I think the narration is pretty snappy, overall, and honestly I think this is one of the best games that Choice Of has put out.

quote:

The most important thing Valentine needs to do is relax a bit. One cannot perform one's tasks if one is terrified, and a funny story will be just the thing.

"We in service share stories about our employers at times. It is, of course, confidential."

"I would never tell anyone, Butler. I promise."

And so you tell the story. It is a rather funny story, and you embellish it with a number of gestures and expressions intended to express Rory in his many moods.

It makes Valentine laugh a great deal, and she seems a touch more relaxed by the end.

quote:

Aunt Primrose's estate is surrounded by massive oak trees dressed in vivid lemon yellows, with just a few red-brown oak leaves dotting the ground to mildly suggest that this beauty might come to an end someday, but not soon.

The cab stops at the green gates announcing that this is Ritornello, where two servants bar the way. They examine the cab carefully, presumably ensuring that Figs is not hiding in the back seat, and then wave you through. The cab curves around the great circular driveway with a white marble statue in the center of it in the shape of the goddess Minerva emerging from Jupiter's forehead. You pay the fellow over Valentine's objections, and are about to collect the luggage when you hear someone running from behind you, and then the world goes dark.

"Guess who!" calls a high-pitched and giggling voice. "Guess, Butler!"

"Mrs. Patterson, is that you?"
"Mr. Wintermint, I believe?"
"Col. Firesnuff, is that you?"
"Mopsie?"
"Helen of Troy?"

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 58%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 43%
Observe: 38%
Persuade: 42%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 34%/66%

Your Reputation
Renown: 35% (+7%)
Tranquility: 18% (-2%)
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 36%
Valentine: 40% (+15%)
Frankincense: 44%
Aunt Primrose: 21%
Col. Firesnuff: 34%

Ready Monies: 23

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Using logic, Mrs. Patterson is too dignified to giggle, Rory doesn't have a high-pitched voice, this doesn't seem the style of Col. Firesnuff, and Helen of Troy is dead. So, it must be Mopsie.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Mopsie

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Helen?.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
It may amuse Mopsie to call her Helen of Troy

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Mopsie (4).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Helen

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Helen

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Avalerion posted:

[b]Troy?l/b].

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Helen launched a thousand figs.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Helen of Troy. We don't want to accidentally insult one of our many, many former lovers now, do we?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Helen, is that you?

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Like I said, calling this vote a bit early.

quote:

"No, someone even more beautiful!" she laughs, releasing you. "Did you really think I was Helen of Troy? Did you?"

Mopsie is looking lovely as ever in a twirly pink-and-purple floral chiffon dress with a large floppy bow at the neck and six big cloth-covered buttons down the front. Her hair is somewhat wild, an explosion of curls and tendrils. She is flushed, probably from charming at you from behind. Mopsie appears as sweet as can be. But you have seen that gleam in her eyes before. Mopsie usually means trouble - she has a tendency to provoke chaos around her sooner or later.

You see Valentine directing some of Aunt Primrose's help to take the luggage up to Mr. Wintermint's room. For a moment, you consider whether Valentine needs help, but soon realize that Mopsie will not brook any distractions.

"Oh, Butler, Butler, Butler!" she says. "I can't believe you're here! I just can't believe it! You're here at last!"

"I am."

"And we'll spend so much time together!"

quote:

Valentine clears her throat. "I think I will go ahead in with the luggage and make my presence known to the household staff. I will see you soon, Butler. And thank you for your company."

You big Valentine farewell, as Mopsie waves her hands in increasingly large motions to get your attention.

"Did you...did you happen to see dear Figaro on your journey?"

"I did see the gentleman in question."

"I believe he goes by 'Figs' among his friends," Mopsie says, and a tear starts to swell and roll.

"Indeed."

"Did...did he mention me?"

"In fact, he asked me to kiss your dewy brow on his behalf," I say, kissing her dewy brow.
"He spoke of you with obvious affection and longing."
"As a matter of fact, I don't believe he did."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Observe: 38%

Your Reputation
Renown: 35%
Tranquility: 18%

Valentine: 40%
:siren: Mopsie: 100% :siren:

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
"He spoke of you with obvious affection and longing." (2), let's not go crazy here.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
"As a matter of fact, I don't believe he did."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
You know, I don't believe he did.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

dewey brow

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"He spoke of you with obvious affection and longing."

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I don't believe he did. His mind seemed more on his dreadful painting, if I recall correctly. Breaking up Mopsie's Romance is probably a net gain for us- Aunt Primrose will appreciate it and maybe we can step in as the Romancer. If she doesn't appreciate it, well, we can work on that. :D

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dewey Brow! Let's get weird.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

He spoke of you.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Of course he did," Mopsie says comfortably. "I would imagine he speaks of nothing else. I feel terrible for him. I'm like a bird in...what is that thing that birds are in?"

"Gilded cages?"

"Yes, like a bird in a gilded cage. But I know you will free me, Butler. You will help us be together. For what can stand in the way of true love?"

"How exactly do you want me to help?" you ask. Rory did seem to desire that Figs and Mopsie be united, but the situation appears rather difficult. "I believe your aunt is firmly opposed."

"I d-don't know," she says, and then begins to seriously weep, and without warning dives into your chest, moistening you considerably. How do you respond?

I simply hold her and pat her back parentally.
I help her put this all in historical perspective.
I suggest how she can protest to Aunt Primrose effectively.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Observe: 44% (+6%)

Your Reputation
Renown: 35%
Tranquility: 18%

Valentine: 40%
Mopsie: 100%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
#3 sounds good

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hold and pat. I'm kind of siding with Primrose on this one.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Make a suggestion. Why be at an upper class retreat if you can't stir up some conflict for your own amusement?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Make a bold suggestion

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Suggestion time! Elope with your terrible beloved!

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
pat her back (1)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Hold on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I propose a protest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter