Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

MJP posted:

Anyone know someone who can do a custom pen from a kit? I found a few I like with nifty acrylic blanks and would love to have a nice one-of-a-kind piece.

Shawn Newton probably could, though he's literally a one man operation so you may have to wait a bit. https://newtonpens.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The guy who made mine could. He’s a nurse I work with. I could get his email for you?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

grack posted:

I've never seen any TWSBI fakes, just branded copies ex. Lanbitou 3059

Cool, I asked him for a couple pics and made a counter offer, as well as asking for a couple names of people he may have traded with previously. Is the Fountain Pen Network community generally good?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MJP posted:

Anyone know someone who can do a custom pen from a kit? I found a few I like with nifty acrylic blanks and would love to have a nice one-of-a-kind piece.

Renee Meeks at Scriptorium Pens did mine and she's quite the artist. Easy to work with, too. Like Shawn Newton, you'll be waiting months for your pen. Both artists will give you a great product, though!

Professor Shark posted:

Cool, I asked him for a couple pics and made a counter offer, as well as asking for a couple names of people he may have traded with previously. Is the Fountain Pen Network community generally good?

I've had good luck so far. Use PayPal and select Goods & Services, and that should give you some extra protection.

effika fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 30, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Welp had a dream that was about how much I liked using an azure 3rd-gen Parker Vacumatic so I guess I need to get one of those now to go with my silver and gold ones.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.

effika posted:

Welp had a dream that was about how much I liked using an azure 3rd-gen Parker Vacumatic so I guess I need to get one of those now to go with my silver and gold ones.

I had a dream about a Custom 823 over the weekend! It'll be a while before that dream comes true though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

effika posted:

I've had good luck so far. Use PayPal and select Goods & Services, and that should give you some extra protection.

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Professor Shark posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

Keep in mind if you or your counterparty get weird about :bahgawd: fees :bahgawd: be sure to account for it by sending a bit extra.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What percentage are fees usually?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Professor Shark posted:

What percentage are fees usually?

The World Wide Web deep dive I just did using Alta Vista Dot Com says 2.9% + $0.30

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thank you for venturing into the surf for me.

Re: the 580Al, I hadn't realized that the piston mechanism was used via the plastic part on the end. I'd always assumed the plastic part was a protective cap that you had to remove before accessing the piston device... is it annoying at all? It seems like a design flaw.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 31, 2018

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The seller can use Paypal to create an invoice to send to you. Thatll clear up any fees and fake issues.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Professor Shark posted:

Thank you for venturing into the surf for me.

Re: the 580Al, I hadn't realized that the piston mechanism was used via the plastic part on the end. I'd always assumed the plastic part was a protective cap that you had to remove before accessing the piston device... is it annoying at all? It seems like a design flaw.

A lot of pens work that way. I'd sooner worry about the cap getting twisted off than the piston knob being turned accidentally. It's not like a button filler or something, where you really want a blind cap.

Or, if you'd like to see for yourself, grab a pen with a twist converter, and see how much force it takes to turn; it'll take a bit more force than that (in general).

Were you thinking of the vacuum twsbi that you need to unscrew to actually write with (for more than a page or so)?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Generally speaking, should I need to push more ink out with a piston filler while writing with it? Shouldn't gravity take care of that? I'm still down with my Jinhao x750, but I still have to coddle it with my Noodler's Burma Road Brown. I slightly diluted the ink before I loaded it up this time, but it'll still dry out while actually writing. In particular, I will rinse the nib after not using the pen for a day, and I may still find it running out after it has recovered from that. I have to turn the piston to keep it going.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No, I was thinking of the 580. I just worried that the piston knob could turn accidentally.

I'll probably get a new leather pen sleeve and store it uninked for a few days so that it forms a tight profile, that way I will worry less carrying it around.

Other pen news: My Jinhao 992 has developed a crack two rapidly spreading cracks, so I'm going to relegate it to "pen students can use if they show interest in my other pens". I'm disappointed that its days seem numbered, but I got some good, hard use out of it!

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

I've had my 580 for 2 years without incident. It really takes a relatively great deal of deliberate twisting to get it to budge. Also, I wouldn't compare it to experiences you had with the Jinhaos, as they are mostly garbage. The only real downside to the 580 is I've found it needs silicone grease much more quickly than any of my other piston fillers, so pay attention when that piston starts to stick.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

With the 580AL you need a wrench to actually loosen the mechanism. You shouldn't have issue with the knob.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh I wasn't comparing the TWSBI and the Jinhao, just saying that my latest workhorse is dying

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Generally speaking, should I need to push more ink out with a piston filler while writing with it? Shouldn't gravity take care of that? I'm still down with my Jinhao x750, but I still have to coddle it with my Noodler's Burma Road Brown. I slightly diluted the ink before I loaded it up this time, but it'll still dry out while actually writing. In particular, I will rinse the nib after not using the pen for a day, and I may still find it running out after it has recovered from that. I have to turn the piston to keep it going.

No. Some inks just don't get along with particular pens. If it isn't a problem when you use other inks, the pen just doesn't like that ink. Funnily enough, my most troublesome ink is also brown. Even with constant use, it tends to sorta gel up around the intersection of the feed/nib after a while.

The nice thing about the 992s is that the nib and feed just screw out of the section, so if you have more than one, you now have a spare nib! It's great for when you can't really be bothered to clean a pen — just take off the converter, unscrew the nib and screw the other one in. Then you can toss the nib in a glass of water or something until it stops turning the water colors. Magic

fe:

Max posted:

With the 580AL you need a wrench to actually loosen the mechanism. You shouldn't have issue with the knob.

I don't think he was worried about the piston actually coming out, so much as it turning and spurting ink all over the place.
… unless you mean you need a wrench to fill your pen. If that's the case, you might want to have that looked at.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 31, 2018

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Took our new website live. It's pretty sweet and I think you folks will like it:

http://musu.bi

I can confirm we are exhibiting at the LA pen show in two weeks' time. Is anyone else here going?

Kessel fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 31, 2018

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

Took our new website live. It's pretty sweet and I think you folks will like it:

http://musu.bi

I can confirm we are exhibiting at the LA pen show in two weeks' time. Is anyone else here going?

Fyi, on your home page, when browsing from mobile (Android 8.1, Chrome), the diaries section looks like it should be scrollable but nothing happens. I can see Signature and Seasonal is half covered. Not sure if this is by design?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Should be scrollable if you drag across the diaries. We need to remove or retool that arrow probably

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm always looking for a good excuse to use my pens, are there still people from the Summary Exchange that didn't end up getting partners/ want another pen pal?

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
I don't know but if there aren't I am 100% on board with starting round 2

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have absolutely atrocious handwriting, but I'd be down for trying to make it legible enough for someone to read.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

I'm in! I need excuses to write more

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just got my Pilot Metro with a fine nib, and I like it, but I'm curious: is it safe to assume that a finer nib will be a little scratchier or less smooth to write with than the same make of nib in s larger size? I figure that finer point means less ink flowing, which maybe means it doesn't write quite as smoothly? In any case, it's less smooth than my Metro M, though that one always has little specks of ink on the top of the nib so maybe its overly wet to begin with.

And a question for pen nibs in general, do most of them have a sort of "breaking in" period if they're new? I feel like my first Metro took some time before it started to really write smoothly all the time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Generally yes, the finer the nib, the less smooth the writing experience is. Though stubs and italics make that generalization a little weird.

There are people who claim nibs have a break in period, but I personally think that's woo woo. What is true is that a brand new nib can still have cutting oil on it from the manufacture process which can muck up flow, but a quick flush with soapy water will fix that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The 580al I bought is shipping with a Fine nib, any opinions on TWSBI Medium or 1.1mm stubs? I'm thinking one of them, but not both. I've really been enjoying the smooth feel of my Jinhao Fine and haven't missed the stub I normally write with, so I'm leaning Medium...

I'm also heavily thinking about getting one of their inkwells with the straw. I really, really like the idea of no mess ink fills. I always seem to get ink on me somehow!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I loved my TWSBI stubs, and if you don't have one I'd say its worth it to play with line variation.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Generally yes, the finer the nib, the less smooth the writing experience is. Though stubs and italics make that generalization a little weird.

There are people who claim nibs have a break in period, but I personally think that's woo woo. What is true is that a brand new nib can still have cutting oil on it from the manufacture process which can muck up flow, but a quick flush with soapy water will fix that.

Cool, good to know. I did flush this one before I inked it, so I think it's just that it's a fine. Like I said, it still writes really well, it's just not as wet as my medium. Which may be overly wet, I don't know really.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Sorry for the quick and exceedingly dirty pic, but just got this pretty, pretty thing in today

PenBBS 308 in the Hawa'ii Gradient colour. Large, lightweight and colourful - I've found my replacement for Delta!

The seller also sent me a package of mechanical pencils for some reason. No idea why.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

grack posted:

Sorry for the quick and exceedingly dirty pic, but just got this pretty, pretty thing in today

PenBBS 308 in the Hawa'ii Gradient colour. Large, lightweight and colourful - I've found my replacement for Delta!

The seller also sent me a package of mechanical pencils for some reason. No idea why.

Hawaii is an excellent name for that color. Looks beautiful!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

grack posted:

So pretty. :stwoon:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Megabound posted:

I loved my TWSBI stubs, and if you don't have one I'd say its worth it to play with line variation.

I ended up crazy pming the guy and asking if I could swap the Fine out for a Medium... he replied that he had the pen ready to go, but would replace the nibs.

To be far, I think this hobby and insane fussiness over nothing go hand-in-hand.

I'll probably end up getting the stub to try out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

effika posted:

Hawaii is an excellent name for that color. Looks beautiful!

It's the most PenBBS model out right now, and it was still under $35US shipped from China. That brand has some absolutely gorgeous resins, and they're apparently coming out with both pump-fill AND plunger-fill vacumatic models in the near future.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

grack posted:

Oh, man, all of the gradient colors are really pretty. I couldn't resist the pink-and-purple. Who'd you order from?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
One of the things that keeps people like Renee at Scriptorium working is the fact that there are just so many gorgeous acrylics out there to use for custom work. Seriously, go look at MuttBlanks, or just check out Scriptorium's instagram for examples. For something with a wait time of at least a fiscal quarter to receive it, a price tag of several hundred dollars, and the same Jowo nib you'll get in any decent pen you'd think you wouldn't have a viable business model. But between just how cool and gorgeous the materials are, and fountain pen people not giving a poo poo about the value of a dollar when they fall in love with something the custom pen makers can keep on kicking.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

atholbrose posted:

Oh, man, all of the gradient colors are really pretty. I couldn't resist the pink-and-purple. Who'd you order from?

Did you mean the Cranberry Gradient? That looks pretty awesome as well. I was having difficulty choosing between the Hawa'ii and the Nanhai blue. I went with the Hawa'ii, but I'll probably buy the blue as well. I bought it from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/usr/art-pen-book-dy

I've bought two PenBBS pens from that seller and I've been happy both times.

One more picture, just to point out something:

If you take a look, there's a color gradient basically directly over to where the section screws in to the barrel, and those colors were matched between the two pieces. That kind of care in manufacturing is pretty astonishing for what these pens cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

grack posted:

At first glance I thought that was something from the Kanilea Pen Company.