Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Babby’s first mini, work in progress

My little brother got me into Warhammer this Xmas mainly because he wants me to do the model legwork for him and this is the first one I took a stab at. How bad is it and how can it be better? I’m really not getting the hang of edge highlighting, which I’m told is An Important Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That looks incredibly good for your first mini. The most important thing I can tell you about edge highlighting is that it's way, waaay easier to do if you use the side or edge of your brush instead of the tip, and make sure not to put too much paint on your brush when you're doing it.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
That is great for a first model, and high enough quality I'm pretty sure almost everyone would be pretty proud putting out an army at all that standard.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Short of going out and buying metallic blue paint, what techniques can I use to make the armor on my model look like it's blue metal? Kind of going for a cobalt look. I was thinking I would mix my base color with a little bit of silver and then do a silver wash over it and finish with a gloss varnish. I also have gold and bronze metallic paint, if that helps.

E: This is what I'm hoping for:

I achieve something similar to that look by applying a glaze over a silver basecoat. Here's what it looks like when I'm done:

The process is as follows:

1. Basecoat with Vallejo Air Silver.
2. Glaze with a layer of Liquitex Ink! Dioxazine Purple
3. Edge highlight with Vallejo Air Silver.
4. Apply two coats of Army Painter Purple Tone.

The equivalent for blue would be Phthalocyanine Blue (Green Shade), which I mixed with white to achieve the look of the power sword.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Ah, that looks perfect!

So, figuring out equivalents based on what I have on hand, this should work, right?

1. Reaper silver filigree to basecoat
2. Glaze with daler rowney process cyan
3. Edge highlight with silver filigree
4. Apply a few coats of les bursley wash recipe using the DR ink process cyan (or maybe sepia).

One question I have when glazing with inks, is there anything different vs glazing with normal paints or is still basically just a light coat of ink thinned down with a ~1:5 ink to water ratio?

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
I'm repainting some Dark Eldar because I was learning how to use an airbrush the first time I painted them, and - well, I'll post pictures later if I get the time, but the ones that I have now are not painted well.

What I'm doing is giving them a heavy gray basecoat, and then zenithally painting them white, which gives them a kind of ceramic effect. However, I want to punch in all of the different plates without having to do all of them by hand. I tried some Nuln Oil Gloss, which looks good, but I was thinking of sealing them and then giving them an all-over oil wash with black paint, so that they look kinda cel-shaded.

Should I try an oil wash, or just stick with Nuln Oil Gloss?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I can also recommend Auto-Air transparent blue to go over silvers.

Used it for my Nightlords, looks like this:

(ignore the culexus)

Yeast fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 31, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Yeast posted:

(ignore the culexus)

Is that *ever* a good piece of advice?

Also, that's a sexy mosquito!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Ah, that looks perfect!

So, figuring out equivalents based on what I have on hand, this should work, right?

1. Reaper silver filigree to basecoat
2. Glaze with daler rowney process cyan
3. Edge highlight with silver filigree
4. Apply a few coats of les bursley wash recipe using the DR ink process cyan (or maybe sepia).

One question I have when glazing with inks, is there anything different vs glazing with normal paints or is still basically just a light coat of ink thinned down with a ~1:5 ink to water ratio?

I spray the ink right out of the airbrush. You can easily go too heavy so I would recommend doing some practice models, but I don't thin it down at all.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Badger Minitaire Ghost Tint is also great for layering colors, although I'd only really recommend it if you have an airbrush to use. It gets really gloopy as it dries so would be hell to deal with on a regular brush.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah, no airbrush unfortunately and I just spent a fair amount to get started in the hobby so I want to try to make do with what I have at hand for now. I think I'll just attempt it on a test model and see how it works using very thinned down ink.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

darnon posted:

It gets really gloopy as it dries so would be hell to deal with on a regular brush.

That said, it makes for an interesting sort of mottled effect when applied with a brush, since it doesn't go on evenly over a wide area like an airbrush. Useful if you want that sort of effect.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah, no airbrush unfortunately and I just spent a fair amount to get started in the hobby so I want to try to make do with what I have at hand for now. I think I'll just attempt it on a test model and see how it works using very thinned down ink.

I've found that brushing on the ink produces a really interesting effect. Since the distribution is slightly uneven you get something that might actually look closer to metal. Definitely give it a shot.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

w00tmonger posted:

Good work man, I have mine partially painted in my backlog and at that scale those are really impressive
Hey, thanks man :)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
X-posting from the Keep Painting thread.

Groetgaffel posted:

Another dent made in my shamefully huge backlog! :toot:

More pictures here.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Today I read the best hobby related exchange I've ever seen. The last comment had me lollin' hard

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I was looking at the games-workshop shop page, and this is one of the basilisk pictures.

Anyone know how to get this type of metallicesque black on a vehicle? I primed some test pieces chaos black but it looks a lot more plasticy. I tried mixing some black with a gunmetal, which got sorta dark metal sheen, but pretty far from the same results. Is it a different kind of black? Drybrushing? Washes?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
My first instinct is to say Leadbelcher washed with Nuln Oil and maybe some Agrax Earthshade in the recesses.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I was looking at the games-workshop shop page, and this is one of the basilisk pictures.

Anyone know how to get this type of metallicesque black on a vehicle? I primed some test pieces chaos black but it looks a lot more plasticy. I tried mixing some black with a gunmetal, which got sorta dark metal sheen, but pretty far from the same results. Is it a different kind of black? Drybrushing? Washes?

It's leadbelcher + multiple coats of Nuln Oil. I did the same thing here on my Doom Cogs. It was 3 coats of Nuln Oil.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Honestly, that looks like black with silver dry brushed over it. You can even see the dry brush width where he pushed it down too hard and didn't wipe enough off first.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, that's just black drybrushed with a metallic paint.

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

The original Dunning-Kruger test subject.

Ilor posted:

Yeah, that's just black drybrushed with a metallic paint.

Pretty much this, they've just painted it black and drybrushed metallic over the top catching recesses and some open areas.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
Agreed, it looks similar to my metals; Leadbelcher mixed with Black in a 2:1 ratio, wash in Agrax, drybrush Necron Compound.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Thanks a ton, that's very useful - I'll try both things and see what I like.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Crossposting from the Oath Thread

This Emperor's Champion model is a big part of why I chose Black Templars. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the Keep Painting thread. There's still more detailing that I could keep doing, but it's more than good enough for gameplay and I'm ready to move on to other projects.

WIP images: https://imgur.com/a/gSVJo

I've also recently finished up a reiver squad:

And of interest to this thread I just got the full set of Forge World clear paints + a few of their other paints. I'm not a huge fan of the pots, but the colors are nice. Did some quick testing on spoons. Didn't bother to thin them (though I probably would when trying to coat a surface for real) and my coats were a little heavy, so there's a bit of texture on the surface (and I failed at getting a clean coat of Burnt Iron so that adds even more texture.

I tested Angron Red on a few different airbrush metal paints. My favorite out of them is probably the VMC Steel, though the Iron Hands Steel would also look good if I had either thinned it a little or used a little higher pressure, and maybe done a second coat.

All the individual colors were tested on spoons based with VMC Steel and then a highlight on top of Duraluminum, which I think is likely how I'll end up using them. The Angron Red on those samples could've done with 1 more coat to build up the color as rich as it is on the others.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's an impressive piece of terrain, moreso because of how fast you put it together. It took you what, a week? From total scratch no less.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

That's an impressive piece of terrain, moreso because of how fast you put it together. It took you what, a week? From total scratch no less.

2 weeks. Started on the 17th. And fwiw the turret isn't scratch built.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Fyrbrand posted:

Today I read the best hobby related exchange I've ever seen. The last comment had me lollin' hard

I tried to butter my toast the way I remove mold lines, and now all the fine details have been scraped off the bread, pls help

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Booley posted:

Cool poo poo

I was just looking today for an example of the Forgeworld clear green. I ordered Calth Blue and Angron Red to paint up Betrayal at Calth, and thought the green might be good for Primaris Dark Angels. I think it would work great under VMC Steel. Thanks a lot for posting this.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I tried to butter my toast the way I remove mold lines, and now all the fine details have been scraped off the bread, pls help

Try applying a wash of melted butter and flow improver. That should bring out some of the details.

Part of it may be your original piece. The Grains Workshop line has been even heavier on the baroque detailing as of late (yadda yadda seeds for the seed throne you know the drill), while your cheaper Reaper stuff made out of Wonderbread doesn't hold detail too well to begin with.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

grassy gnoll posted:

Try applying a wash of melted butter and flow improver. That should bring out some of the details.

Part of it may be your original piece. The Grains Workshop line has been even heavier on the baroque detailing as of late (yadda yadda seeds for the seed throne you know the drill), while your cheaper Reaper stuff made out of Wonderbread doesn't hold detail too well to begin with.

I was using the "hybrid" kinda breads, like the ones that Privateer Panini Press used to use, the type that's a pain in the backside to get buttered properly. :sigh:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Just be careful about Wheat Miniatures. If you drop your bread on the floor you'll never find it again.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Sorry to go off all half-baked, but it's Oath Thread Crosspostin' Time!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Oath Complete!

And going for the Journal, here are three of the (umm...four) work-in-progress pics I took!

The complete album, including more details of each step I photographed in the process, can be found here.

...Welp, back to loafing around.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Be careful when working with Corvus Bagel products, they're not as flexible as your everyday bread and may break if handled too roughly.

grassy gnoll posted:

while your cheaper Reaper stuff made out of Wonderbread doesn't hold detail too well to begin with.
That's what you get for adding bonemeal to flour :colbert:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The November-January C-SPAM Gunpla Challenge is complete! The theme was "The Nixon Years" and boy did people rise to that challenge.

Congratulations to all the completed entries!

But it's February now, and that means the new C-SPAM Gunpla Challenge has begun!

The theme this time is Historical Empires!

What would it be like if Ogedai Khan had piloted a robot instead of riding a horse? Can a Gundam be a trireme? Imagine the Soviet Unions rolling into Hungary in Guntanks instead of regular tanks. Whatever you can come up with, as long as it's in some way related to an empire from history, it's fair game!

The challenge runs for two months, so we've got lots of time. Get your entries in by March 31st!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Am I in the minority in that I only own one Citadel painting handle?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

I own zero painting handles/buttplugs.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Sex Cannon posted:

I only own one, but I can't find it. Does that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I only own one, but I can't find it. Does that count?

did you check your butt because that's a mistake i made

I went up to the local game store to paint, and to my embarrassment, I pulled out a periwinkle blue silicone :airquote:paint handle:airquote: then looked to the audience and said,

"Then that means... Oh boy!” :kiddo:

but for real it may be in ur butt :dance: