Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

g0lbez posted:

The job system really just breaks the game in half doesn't it? Does this game ever get challenging again? I just got the flying carpet for reference

It definitely gets hard again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I will get hard again, for Dragon Quest games.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If you get the super jobs even the last bosses are easy. Just don’t over grind and you’ll have some challenge. Some of the jobs really suck.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Dizz posted:

Daruma, those little doll things that the Japanese sometimes use to set goals in their life where they dot one eye, then dot the other when their goal was achieved. I think this gives them luck or something as well but I don't remember.

I'm just assuming that Dharma is meant to be a pun because the player returns there many times to change vocations.

Ahh I could see that. I only ever thought of Dharma Temple as a place where you gain a new kind of "duty"(i.e. a new kind of dharma), but setting goals seems right too.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Nickoten posted:

Ahh I could see that. I only ever thought of Dharma Temple as a place where you gain a new kind of "duty"(i.e. a new kind of dharma), but setting goals seems right too.

It's all assumption for me though, but it makes sense since DQ is a game all about patience and rewards.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
This wait until they give a solid western date for 11 is killing me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I bet they're waiting to also have a date for the switch version

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just had an evil premonition that they won't announce the Switch version for any region until after the Western release of the other versions.

I mean, I'd buy it twice, but.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Bigass Moth posted:

If you get the super jobs even the last bosses are easy. Just don’t over grind and you’ll have some challenge. Some of the jobs really suck.

I've just gotten to the "world's tallest tower" and so far the bosses have been putting up somewhat of a challenge but the trash mobs are absolutely nothing, like way less than what even trash normally is. Apparently I'm not even halfway through the game yet though so I suppose there's plenty of time for it to pick up.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Dizz posted:

Daruma, those little doll things that the Japanese sometimes use to set goals in their life where they dot one eye, then dot the other when their goal was achieved. I think this gives them luck or something as well but I don't remember.

I'm just assuming that Dharma is meant to be a pun because the player returns there many times to change vocations.

I think I was the first to use the Dharma spelling in the GBC 3 remake. (It was Dhama in the NES version.)
I was never given the NES names for towns, so I was allowed to do as I saw fit. (Though strangely, they made me use most spell names from the NES versions.)

I did base the spelling on the Indian religious figure Bodhidharma--the model of those rotund Japanese dolls.
I liked the image of those dolls since they can never stay tipped over--I thought it was a good metaphor for the idea of reincarnation
I also wanted to make the original ダーマ (dah-ma, which isn't the same as ダルマ daruma) look and sound sort of mystical in English so in went the "h".
I may've also had Blue Oyster Cult guitarist Buck in mind at the time.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
The slow realization on why the town is called Nottagen is hilarious

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

g0lbez posted:

The slow realization on why the town is called Nottagen is hilarious

I was slow to twig to this because I read it as a soft 'g'.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

The PS version of 7 also took like five years to get translated and released in the US so it was extremely dated by the time it came out.

It took a year.

It was the development that was severely delayed.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Wendell posted:

It took a year.

It was the development that was severely delayed.

It may've been even quicker.
I think the localization project started towards the end of the previous year and the translators were done by the following summer.
Unfortunately, they weren't all that organized or good (which resulted in, I think--I'd have to ask the localization producer--the threat of a lawsuit which I think was resolved by a partial refund), so the whole text needed a complete overhaul within a couple-month timeframe.
They asked me to do it, but I was utterly burnt out from the GBC DWIII remake, GBC DWM2, and PS Torneko in quick succession (working on these titles meant I wasn't allowed to work on VII) and my arm was still in a sling from shoulder surgery during Torneko, so I turned it down, save for rewriting jester battle lines.
A kind of angry and sullen English major guy ended up with the Herculean task.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Please never stop randomly dropping anecdotes about localizing in the 90s.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What did you have to do for the GBC GW3 considering the NES script was already English?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bigass Moth posted:

What did you have to do for the GBC GW3 considering the NES script was already English?

The NES was still in the funny old English thing, there were a bunch of character limits that were smaller than the NES, plus some new content areas.

Bunch of stuff really.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

The entire text was rewritten since they wanted a clean remake.
I asked for the original NES text and was told they didn't have it in the first place.
They said I could find a copy on Ebay and play that if I wanted the text that much.
(Cue one of many shouting matches with George.)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Pretty sure DW3 NES ditched Ye Olde Englesh, except for the Archfiend's dialog.

Thank you Dinsdale, for the work on the DQ GBC games. I had both of them and enjoyed them immensely. The icons were a good idea. Otherwise you'd probably get the weird vowel-less strings from Breath of Fire (WtrJr, Mrbl3).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

They said I could find a copy on Ebay and play that if I wanted the text that much.

Lol

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

It may've been even quicker.
I think the localization project started towards the end of the previous year and the translators were done by the following summer.
Unfortunately, they weren't all that organized or good (which resulted in, I think--I'd have to ask the localization producer--the threat of a lawsuit which I think was resolved by a partial refund), so the whole text needed a complete overhaul within a couple-month timeframe.
They asked me to do it, but I was utterly burnt out from the GBC DWIII remake, GBC DWM2, and PS Torneko in quick succession (working on these titles meant I wasn't allowed to work on VII) and my arm was still in a sling from shoulder surgery during Torneko, so I turned it down, save for rewriting jester battle lines.
A kind of angry and sullen English major guy ended up with the Herculean task.

Who is this? We were working there at the Seattle Enix location with Jon W. together on DQ:Monsters 2 for the GBC.... I'm pretty sure I know who you are!

Your lucky you didn't get saddled with DQ7 - it was like non stop overtime and we were all pretty much burnt out afterwards, which is why to this day I can't bring myself to play 7 ever again. DQ3 is still my favorite.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 4, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bongo Bill posted:

I just had an evil premonition that they won't announce the Switch version for any region until after the Western release of the other versions.

I mean, I'd buy it twice, but.

That'd be really weird.

Unless the Switch version is an HD version with the 3DS's bonus content added to it I'll probably just get it for the PS4. Assuming they ever get around to releasing it here...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Slayerjerman posted:

Who is this? We were working there at the Seattle Enix location with Jon W. together on DQ:Monsters 2 for the GBC.... I'm pretty sure I know who you are!
There's more than one of you? How many goddamn Dragon Quest translator goons are there? I love these forums sometimes. :allears:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

If this were resetera, there would already be a kotaku article about these translation anecdotes.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Slayerjerman posted:

Your lucky you didn't get saddled with DQ7 - it was like non stop overtime and we were all pretty much burnt out afterwards, which is why to this day I can't bring myself to play 7 ever again. DQ3 is still my favorite.

Hiya, I'm Nob Ogasawara, and I'd only visited the decrepit Enix USA office above the nail salon a couple times, and usually only incidentally when NOA summoned me down for some Pokemon meeting.
I still keep in touch with George who now runs his family funeral home business. He's got a cute daughter around three or four.
I'm also FB friends with Justin and John, and very occasionally, Paul inquires about this or that.

I can well imagine what sort of a nightmare VII must've been.
I think I remember George whining they were on a really limited budget (though that's hardly a surprise--I remember how they splurged on QA staff and went and hired like a DOZEN testers and had them cooped up in that former beauty salon) and super-tight deadline with constant threats of cancellation and major doubt on the JP Enix side.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Thank you Dinsdale, for the work on the DQ GBC games. I had both of them and enjoyed them immensely. The icons were a good idea. Otherwise you'd probably get the weird vowel-less strings from Breath of Fire (WtrJr, Mrbl3).

Thank _you_. It makes the long and crazy hours and crappy Enix USA pay worthwhile.

Yeah, I had to argue for the icons long and hard with George.
He was all for just using bizarre contractions FlcnSwd, LgtnWnd, BstdSwd, PltArmr, DrgnKlr and I was like naaaaah, we don't want to carry on the shameful legacy of AgDevil (for Silver Devil; the Ag comes from the periodic table).
He eventually came around to my way of thinking, but then he had to convince Enix JP which apparently took some doing, enough so that he bitched me out for it when it was finally approved.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Thank _you_. It makes the long and crazy hours and crappy Enix USA pay worthwhile.

Yeah, I had to argue for the icons long and hard with George.
He was all for just using bizarre contractions FlcnSwd, LgtnWnd, BstdSwd, PltArmr, DrgnKlr and I was like naaaaah, we don't want to carry on the shameful legacy of AgDevil (for Silver Devil; the Ag comes from the periodic table).
He eventually came around to my way of thinking, but then he had to convince Enix JP which apparently took some doing, enough so that he bitched me out for it when it was finally approved.

Yes, this x1000 - the entire time I'm like use the abbreviations and naming from the previous localizations instead of making new ones. It's like they never played any of the previous English versions...

I was one of those poor QA stuffed in that QA pit. Not great times, but memorable. :) We had ONE PC and had to hand write every loving bug on a worksheet form and record/log all game play footage on stacks of VHS tapes with time stamps if we found a bug. That took god drat ages and likely contributed to why it took so drat long to release. On DQM: there were like a total of 3 QA for the English version. Shaun and I spent so much time battling monsters hahaha. Good games, but crazy bonkers to ad-hoc test.

That being said, I had wanted to work for Enix on DQ/DW since I was a kid. In elementary school back in the late 80s I recall writing them a fan letter cuz I was hardcore into DW1.

Not many people can say the got to work at their dream job/company. Sadly the reality was way different. But that's ok.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 4, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

naaaaah, we don't want to carry on the shameful legacy of AgDevil (for Silver Devil; the Ag comes from the periodic table).
This took me literally ten years to figure out, by the way. I just assumed it was a dumb idiosyncratic name and then one day when I'm like twenty I'm like "AgDev...holy poo poo"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
As a language professional, I can somewhat empathise.

Just as an amusing anecdote, I played a ROM of DW3 that was translated into French. It was quite well done, although I remember getting very confused because someone accidentally translated "Silver Shield" into "Silver Necklace". It took me a while to twig to the error and I kept wondering where the shield went and what the bloody hell I was supposed to do with a necklace.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This took me literally ten years to figure out, by the way. I just assumed it was a dumb idiosyncratic name and then one day when I'm like twenty I'm like "AgDev...holy poo poo"

I think I literally played the drat game before I took any real notice of the periodic table so the contraction was way over my head until I replayed it some time in college too.

Their ability to party wipe in one turn was way more important at the time anyway.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
For some reason, I didn't want to give any special names to my characters in Dragon Warrior Monsters, so I horribly squished all of their names down to fit into 4 letters. I remember Lizardman became Ldmn, King Slime was Kslm, and Funky Bird was Fkbd. A friend of mine saw the names and said the last one looked like gently caress bed.

Those suggested weapon names would have been pretty bad. I still don't know what Mrbl3 was supposed to be in Breath of Fire. I just read it as "Marble 3".

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
It's cool that DQ7 just randomly takes out party members you've been building up for the most asinine reasons. When is Maribel coming back or should I just forget about her despite the fact that she was my most useful member by far?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

g0lbez posted:

It's cool that DQ7 just randomly takes out party members you've been building up for the most asinine reasons. When is Maribel coming back or should I just forget about her despite the fact that she was my most useful member by far?

Don't forget about her, but you should make sure your remaining party members are strong enough to get by. You've got some stuff to do.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s not that bad if you’ve been building Mervyn as a mage since him being slow makes it so he’s a good healer on AI settings, but yeah it is kind of an absurd dick move mechanically.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Last Celebration posted:

It’s not that bad if you’ve been building Mervyn as a mage since him being slow makes it so he’s a good healer on AI settings, but yeah it is kind of an absurd dick move mechanically.

Guess who my sage was :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Everyone’s sage was Maribel, if it helps. If you have at least one Paladin and no other mages though that’s more than good enough until she rejoins since 7 3DS overcompensated so hard for only basic/monster vocation skills being learned that they have Multiheal.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Last Celebration posted:

Everyone’s sage was Maribel, if it helps. If you have at least one Paladin and no other mages though that’s more than good enough until she rejoins since 7 3DS overcompensated so hard for only basic/monster vocation skills being learned that they have Multiheal.

Yup my main hero is currently working on Paladin. Good to know everyone pretty much takes the same path through this game lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest 7 is kind of a mean game, but I can't seem to bring myself to hold that against it.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Aside from the dick moves it likes to pull this game is amazing. I think one of my favorite parts so far was saving the desert place and heading back to the present where everyone refers to you as "the saviors" and they all basically treat you like a mythical deity. It's legit the first time I've ever actually felt like a band of legendary heroes in a jRPG which should be a common thing you would think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dragon Quest 7 is weird to me in that it ends up having an absurd degree of effort put into its setting compared to what I expected. Was not expecting Old Man Rimmer at all, and there’s at least a dozen callbacks like that when they could have made way more of the story self-contained than it was considering the effort put into dialogue matches a Trails game.

Was not expecting the game I got from the premise and bitching, but I’m pretty happy with it. Probably my second-favorite after 5, but I can see how even the remake makes it a divisive entry.