Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Counterpoint: Nelson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Geraldine is apparently a very popular place to ship old people off to. It is also NZ’s country music capital. Take from that what you will.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
psa: it looks like most of eating media lunch is on youtube

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Hey just wondering, do you NZers have the equivalent of the American late night comedy/talk show, a Stephen Colbert type program?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There have been attempts, but they never last. We get panel shows instead.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

What was the last one, Mike King's solo-effort after Strassman's bombed?

Bring back Friday's version Nightline with Farrier and Ikram segments, imo.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
7 Days is probably the closest we've had

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Didn't Jeremy wells do one? If not he should.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Eating Media Lunch. Havoc and Newsboy’s show also did a little bit amongst other segments.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Was "The Unauthorised History of New Zealand" any good?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Unauthorised history of NZ was entertaining as far as I can remember.

I dunno who else other than Wells could do a Colbert-like show, Rhys Darby might be able to pull it off?

Slavvy posted:

Dunno. That would imply Auckland (and Wellington I guess) have less olds than everywhere else which I find hard to believe. I'm pretty sure ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation etc have nothing on age when it comes to someone bring pro/anti weed.

Wellington trends a bit younger than other cities, including Auck I am fairly sure, due to all the olds moving out to the Wairarapa.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Stuff like parody and satire are also treated differently here iirc. No explicit legal protections.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Delthalaz posted:

Hey just wondering, do you NZers have the equivalent of the American late night comedy/talk show, a Stephen Colbert type program?

White Man Behind a Desk is a really good little New Zealand YouTube series that uses a similar format. Not quite the same thing but it's nicely presented and well edited / scripted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_BkUEf9kEA

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

redleader posted:

If you like Jeremy Wells and Graeme Hill then yes. It's fantastic.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

redleader posted:

Oh god yes. It's one of the funniest NZ comedy series of all time in my opinion. A genuine classic made with full access to the TVNZ archives and some world class dead-pan delivery.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
"Unauthorized history" and "eating media lunch" are genius, Jeremy wells is really underrated I think. Well, maybe not, I mean maybe he wanted to just do radio and is happy ripping off hosking weekly - and that's great. I just feel like in a bigger market he could have done more or something..

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's replacing hosking dude.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jeremy Wells is one of the best comedic talents NZ has produced.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
jeremy wells was rude to me in an airport therefore he sucks and is bad

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Looking forward to watching a 7pm show for the first time since Campbell

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

jeremy wells was rude to me in an airport therefore he sucks and is bad

Once quite a few years ago before he became quite so ubiquitous I saw Leigh Hart (That Guy) at the airport, and as one often does, I took a double take, thinking for a moment perhaps I knew him. He proceeded to give me the most obvious 'what the gently caress are you looking at' expression I think I've ever seen.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Those sports guys were p funny.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Delthalaz posted:

Mike Hosking.

Then you realise he actually believes it.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Graeme Hill never gets any love. He was the main writer for both EML and UHONZ, his weekend show on Radio Live rules and he paid for a huge chunk of Back of the Y out of his own pocket when noone else would give Heath the time of day.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

To be fair Matt Heath does come across as a bit of a cock.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pararoid posted:

Once quite a few years ago before he became quite so ubiquitous I saw Leigh Hart (That Guy) at the airport, and as one often does, I took a double take, thinking for a moment perhaps I knew him. He proceeded to give me the most obvious 'what the gently caress are you looking at' expression I think I've ever seen.

Speed Cooking.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
eml is so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdOpYXDug-Q

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pararoid posted:

Mike King visited my school to talk about mental health with the students. He was lovely. He's also kept in touch with one of the students who told him afterwards that he'd had some suicidal thoughts, and apparently has made a huge difference in his life.

I don't find his comedy particularly funny, but I can't think of a single bad thing to say about Mike King the person.

Never seen Leigh Hart though.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 2, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I once saw Leigh Hart but he didn't look at me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I just remembered that when I was working at the University of Auckland AV Library, Martyn Bradbury came in and asked if he could use a computer to check his emails. He was rather polite.

I've also met Florian Harbicht at the same job. He was awkward, but friendly.

I met him again last year at St. Cuths, and he was less awkward, and still nice. And I got to be part of a discussion about race in cinema with Roseanne Liang. She was cool.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://streamable.com/x3b8c

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

I don't find his comedy particularly funny, but I can't think of a single bad thing to say about Mike King the person.

He was much more a prick back in his coke days in the late 90s. I feel like he tries really hard to be a better person these days which is nice

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
My uncle taught Jeremy Wells when he was at Wanganui College and got expelled. Apparently he was a very smart guy, but in a way that just didn't get along with formal education, and I'd say that's pretty spot on.

Vagabundo posted:

Totally agree. Didn't he once do something like give his phone number out on TV so people could just call him if they had mental health problems rather than go to a shrink?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

John Campbell used to do alternative comedy rugby commentary on student radio in the 80s and it was hilariously filthy

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Totally agree. Didn't he once do something like give his phone number out on TV so people could just call him if they had mental health problems rather than go to a shrink?

This is really bad and dangerous, though. I agree his heart is in the right place, but he publicly pooh-poohs professional mental health services and does things like deny that suicide contagion at schools is a real thing.

He's neither trained nor qualified to intervene or offer advice to people in a suicidal crisis and could end up doing more harm than good - even though it's apparent he wants to and is trying to do good.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I saw Leigh Hart at kiwi disposals on k road. At the time noone else I was with knew who he was :(

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Slavvy posted:

He's replacing hosking dude.

Yeah but that's a normal job, and it's taken ages. I'm not saying he is selling out, there isn't much else he could do....

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

klen dool posted:

If an employer cannot package the evidence into a reason, then they don't have a reason to not hire someone. Also, it doesn't have to be one and only one reason.

there can be reasons to let people go that aren't reasons you can fire them under law

like someone completely not fitting in with the workplace dynamic

an employer SHOULD have a window where they can observe someone for a short length of time to see if what they presented in the interview and their CV is accurate and true.

otherwise what? lie on ya CV and fudge ya interview, and then get into job, do half rear end job but not really break any rules and youre set for life?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

christ, i hope so. i gotta get out of my current job and i don't have a lot of better options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

there can be reasons to let people go that aren't reasons you can fire them under law

like someone completely not fitting in with the workplace dynamic

an employer SHOULD have a window where they can observe someone for a short length of time to see if what they presented in the interview and their CV is accurate and true.

otherwise what? lie on ya CV and fudge ya interview, and then get into job, do half rear end job but not really break any rules and youre set for life?

"not fitting in with the workplace dynamic" sounds like employer code for "I didn't like them" - which is a reason an employer would want to fire someone, but not a good or fair one. Its also pretty vague, how about a specific example?
If the employee's attitude is causing a loss to productivity, then an employer needs to offer a reasonable amount of training and failing that they can fire them.

I don't think employers SHOULD have a window where they can fire someone at will, it causes far too much uncertainty in the employees life.

• Locked thread