Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
You just don't name a baby Linda!

There were four Jeffs in my grade. I'm from a town of fewer than 2000 people. Maybe I was born in the Jeff Belt and I never knew it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
^ :argh:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Is anybody born a child and named Jeff? Or do they just change their name at 42

I think it’s like Linda. No children should be named Linda, it's the name of a 40 year old woman in HR who says "sigh, Mondays"....

Nostalgia4Infinity has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Jan 31, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Is anybody born a child and named Jeff? Or do they just change their name at 42

I used to have a coworker named Jeffery

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

This is a wonderful word that doesn't get enough use anymore, and I appreciate you using it

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Imagine a baby named Gary. You can't, can you? There are no baby Garys. Garys emerge fully-formed from the ground as middle aged men.

The female equivalent is Karen.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WescottF1 posted:

The manager at my old apartment was named Karen, I can confirm this. One day she had a baby and never returned, yet was still mysteriously the apartment manager.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I used to have a coworker named Jeffery

Jeffery isn't "Jeff".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jeffery isn't "Jeff".

He went by Jeff

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I know an actual Geoff.

I'm American and so is he.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I saw a toddler get called Gerald recently and it was the weirdest fuckin thing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wasabi the J posted:

I know an actual Geoff.

I'm American and so is he.

gently caress, I'm reluctant to admit it, but I'm an actual Geoff.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

bob dobbs is dead posted:

isn't this stuff centrally supplied from one of the oligopoly of like 4 suppliers who supply 95% of the school lunches in america

yep, same people that supply all the prison food too. I grew up between Los Angeles and Dallas and the pizza was identical.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress, I'm reluctant to admit it, but I'm an actual Geoff.

Just say your parents are both into earth science.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We had good school pizza when I was in JK-Gr2, I believe they made it in house and it was actually slices, pizza shaped slices, not some godforsaken breadtangle

Of course this was balanced out by the Chicken Ala King which I always resented and apparently called Chicken Ala Barf

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I weep for everybody whose school pizza wasn't made by an actual pizza place.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Schubalts posted:

weep for us no longer, pizzatangles rule, and you'll never know that sweet industrial flavor they contain.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I had two Geoffs and two Jeffs in my high school class of <150.

And our school pizza was bland Sicilian-style. Go, Panthers!

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
We had both kinds of pizza and those "cheeseburgers" that were totally just "beef-flavored" soy burgers topped with plastic cheese and steamed in a baggie. Yeah, that's right. My school served us steamed hams. They were mysteriously addictive, despite being nothing like a real cheeseburger.

The only thing really worth eating were the potato wedges. Crispy skin dusted with cajun spices, fluffy white insides, god they were perfect. There was eventually a lunch lady assigned to do nothing but inspect our plates because we'd try and hide extra potato wedges under other foods so we wouldn't have to pay another 75 cents.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
A rectangle pizza is called American pan pizza here.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I always like rectangle pizza day and would sometimes get double lunch that day for a whole like $3.

I think ours was rectangle pizza and usually chips with a fruit cup and milk.

:randstare:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

this thread needs a pizzatangle vs. rich kid chain pizza at school poll

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
When I was growing up my Dad worked at a school and he could buy those pizzas by the case for a ridiculously cheap price, and it was awesome. Doctored up with some combo of pepperoni, mushrooms, and/or onions they made great late night snacks.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If you're dying to recreate rectangle pizza, now you can!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure it was this:
https://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/191479/Schwans-Tonys-Smart-Pizza-Whole-Grain-Cheese-Pizza-4.6-Ounce-Mfg-78673.htm

Less than 75c a serving!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Haifisch posted:

If you're dying to recreate rectangle pizza, now you can!

Love the MRE speak naming, Pizza with cheese topping, what pizza doesn't have cheese? You could just say pizza, or cheese pizza if you're feeling...saucy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

LifeSunDeath posted:

Love the MRE speak naming, Pizza with cheese topping, what pizza doesn't have cheese? You could just say pizza, or cheese pizza if you're feeling...saucy.
Who doesn't want meat/meat alternate toppings on their pizza?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Who doesn't want meat/meat alternate toppings on their pizza?

10 print MEAT
20 open MEATALTERNATIVE
30 goto 10

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rhode island bread substance

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LifeSunDeath posted:

this thread needs a pizzatangle vs. rich kid chain pizza at school poll

My high school did both, they sold the rectangles most days and would do actual pizza once a week

They also sold Pizza Hot Pockets in the cafeteria as well, so all three kinds of Institutional Pizza were represented at that school

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Surely there must be frozen pizza brands that accurately replicate the cafeteria pizza experience.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

maybe the absolute bottom of the barrel no name brands. my school pizza was "cheese and cheese substitute" flavored

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Semisponge posted:

Surely there must be frozen pizza brands that accurately replicate the cafeteria pizza experience.

there is in form, but never in flavor. the problem is the second you try and make it taste "good" it will never capture the OG taste.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I just remember the sauce being really sweet and the "cheese" sort of a tasteless semisolid mass. But that was a long fuckin time ago :corsair:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Celeste brand pizzas come pretty close in my opinion

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WescottF1 posted:

Not Esther?

Waking the Witch
Aug 20, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Same. Our’s was from the local chain.
Even better was the salad bar with a different hot item each day (broccoli cheese baked potato, nachos, taco salad, chili, etc) that you could drag through the garden or build a salad next to. After school we’d just go to the actual Barros and smoke blunts behind the store and then buy a few of the 25¢ slices left over from the lunch specials. I did get the cardboard crust, ketchup, cheese product “pizza” in MS though. So I know that taste.

Now I work at a Title I HS as a teacher and I feel guilty for being such an ungrateful shithead when I was a teen. I cringe with every “tuna pocket” day during the morning announcements. The kitchen manager is actually a thoughtful, creative lady though and she tries her best with the budget when 98% of the student pop is free/reduced. Yesterday they intro’d a new monte christo made with French toast leftover from breakfast. :yum:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the frozen ellios pizzas are very close imo

e: poo poo now I want some

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The lost, unobtainable and probably-best-left-in-the-past taste from my school cafeteria days is the pan of well-done hamburger patties kept simmering in a pan of ketchup water. Hamburger day was my favorite in grade school.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I just had vivid flash backs to the 'breaded' 'cheese sticks' and 'marinara' sauce. I can taste them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Now I'm having flashbacks to the school breadsticks, which were hard as a brick, tasted like cardboard that had gone slightly rancid somehow, and made kid me assume all breadsticks were awful for years.