Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

WotC can't make a digital Magic game that isn't a trashfire and when they kind of finally almost did, they shitcanned it for something that somehow threw away 6 years of design iteration lessons, so I personally won't put money behind anything expensive they make that isn't made of paper.

Also holy moly the monster tokens for Roll20 are so badly priced. It's one of those things that actually adds at least a little bit of new work to pre-existing print items and a lot of utility to an existing product, so I'm not opposed to spending money on it and then you see the loving tokens cost more than the text book ever did and back right the hell out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Darwinism posted:

It's still not a good deal. It's the only real deal in town for official tools, though, so people will make all sorts of excuses for a product that asks you to repurchase the product at nearly full price and then pay a subscription fee to fully use.

No.

You don't need a sub to actually use the stuff you buy, I've seen someone confused about that before too but it isn't correct. Yes there is a six character limit but it's so easy to create characters with the site that just downloading a PDF sheet for reference on a character you aren't playing yet isn't a bad way to go. And even then? It's peanuts for an annual sub.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 1, 2018

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
If you don’t already own the books, they are at least about what you would pay at a site like Amazon or cheaper overall.

Why are they charging for the free phandelver book though?

I was hoping that buying the books would give you a pdf download additionally, but it appears that everything is online only? Frustrating, especially if you are at a con with lovely internet.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

If you don’t already own the books, they are at least about what you would pay at a site like Amazon or cheaper overall.

I was hoping that buying the books would give you a pdf download additionally, but it appears that everything is online only? Frustrating, especially if you are at a con with lovely internet.

Currently you can only access everything via the site though this actually works pretty well, they are working on an app to allow you to have dedicated offline access.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Man I gotta be that guy in this thread but there's nothing unethical about seeking out pdfs for books you own legally - please don't hamper yourself looking for something you paid for and could easily but extremely boringly create yourself.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Can I just point out how loving dumb it is not having prices for things. It's goddamn infuriating as a GM to need to price everything up and the ballpark prices are not even close to being something I can use. Hmm yes its between 5,000 and 50,000. Truly a reasonable range to guess at what something should cost.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

kingcom posted:

Can I just point out how loving dumb it is not having prices for things. It's goddamn infuriating as a GM to need to price everything up and the ballpark prices are not even close to being something I can use. Hmm yes its between 5,000 and 50,000. Truly a reasonable range to guess at what something should cost.
There's an effortpost on some forum that tried to make prices for things but ugg, yeah, it's so bad. They took the time to copy-paste 100 pages of magic items for their DMG and then didn't bother thinking about how to fit them into the game at all, such that the only guidance is "hey btw you don't have to use these at all if you don't want to".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ryuujin posted:

There is some stuff you can do with the free level. You would still have to buy the books though. But that would limit you to 6 characters max.

When I first heard about it I thought it was terrible. I still am not happy about it. But there really isn't anything I can find now that is as useful when I am at Adventurer's League using my tablet.

The biggest problem is that it is Third Party, or Second Party if you want. Just like Roll20 and Fantasy Ground it isn't official WotC and thus buying the books from WotC can't really be linked to it. That would mean that they did the work and didn't get paid for it.
This reasoning works fine for the independent companies who are presumably paying WotC a licensing fee, but makes no sense for the "official" D&D product. In a sane world they'd pay the beyond people a fixed fee for production and maintenance, possibly with a bonus for each new batch of content they need to add. This insane position with beyond was entirely avoidable, the WotC folk just decided it was best to play it safe with steady revenue streams from licensing and externalise the risks and costs onto third party companies and their consumer base.

I mean, you can easily argue that it was the right business decision for all involved, and they're all making a lot of money from it, but don't pretend it was some inevitable result of the nature of digital tools or something.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 1, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I really wouldn't mind a fully working version of that "wealth tiers" system from another game where when you have a certain amount of wealth, you can make effectively infinite purchases of however many tiers lower. Keeping track of party wealth to the last digit is dumb as hell. Just tell me if I have enough for an airship yet.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So is anyone actually using the herolabs community mod pack and is it good?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Arthil posted:

Currently you can only access everything via the site though this actually works pretty well, they are working on an app to allow you to have dedicated offline access.

This is the other concern, since it is through Curse, if they decide it’s no longer worth the effort, I’m left with nothing. I thought at least there would be a free pdf included for that. :(

I may have PDF versions of my books as is, but it would have been nice to have a more official release.

Really, my tech books all have codes in them for digital releases. I just don’t understand why this has been relegated only to software books in TYoOL 2018.

Gridlocked posted:

So is anyone actually using the herolabs community mod pack and is it good?

It’s terrible, buggy and doesn’t have much of the data you would expect even from the PHB, which was all that was out when my crew were trying, ( They love it for Pathfinder ). One of her asked the guys at PAX Unplugged why it sucked, and the response was that currently their focus is on Pathfinder. So I mean, roll the dice on it if you want, but I would recommend steering clear. Honestly it’s terrible support is why my crew were looking into D&D Beyond.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 1, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Paladin Smites are weapon attacks only, as are their Fighting Style. This is very lame, why does Unarmed have to be so bad.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There's an effortpost on some forum that tried to make prices for things but ugg, yeah, it's so bad. They took the time to copy-paste 100 pages of magic items for their DMG and then didn't bother thinking about how to fit them into the game at all, such that the only guidance is "hey btw you don't have to use these at all if you don't want to".

Yeah I found this list but jfc in a game where a big component is getting gold, they really need to loving price stuff up.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?424243-Sane-Magic-Item-Prices

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Paladin Smites are weapon attacks only, as are their Fighting Style. This is very lame, why does Unarmed have to be so bad.

I believe unarmed counts as a weapon attack

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Drowning Rabbit posted:

It’s terrible, buggy and doesn’t have much of the data you would expect even from the PHB, which was all that was out when my crew were trying, ( They love it for Pathfinder ). One of her asked the guys at PAX Unplugged why it sucked, and the response was that currently their focus is on Pathfinder. So I mean, roll the dice on it if you want, but I would recommend steering clear. Honestly it’s terrible support is why my crew were looking into D&D Beyond.

We are talking about the mod pack right? Not the default SRD limited version?

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I believe unarmed counts as a weapon attack

According to Crawford yes for smite, no for fighting styles.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You want to make a gish cleric with the SCAG cantrips on a Shillelagh. Your best options are Nature and Arcana. Assume you're not going to play to 17 to get all those sweet wizard spells in Arcana.

How do you build it out? Hill Dwarf is sturdy and the only realistic option at wearing heavy armor if you don't get gauntlets of ogre power. Human will more or less restrict you to breastplate and isn't as hardy as the dwarf but gets Magic Initiate fresh out the gates. Arcana gets to add a higher spell damage modifier to the cantrip attacks because the wizard spells become cleric spells. Nature gets a variety of damage types to pick from for Divine Strike. Nature and Arcana both have a lot of class features that could be described as hot garbage.

Etc etc etc. A lot of little bits and pieces to argue different things over each other. What's your pick?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mendrian posted:

Has anyone ever written progression systems for Backgrounds? I feel like Backgrounds are hugely underutilized. You could add in much-needed interaction and exploration bits to them. I'd probably shoot for something that built on the themes already present in the Background without necessarily creating a lot more complexity. Something like this (for the Acolyte);

These are broad ideas, but I hope it demonstrates what I'm going for.

This owns and I love it.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

As per usual if your DM isn't a butt about it, it'll work. A paladin in a group I was in several weeks back had her weapon get stuck in an ooze we were fighting. So she Smite-Fisted the thing to death with her plate gauntlet.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Arthil posted:

No.

You don't need a sub to actually use the stuff you buy, I've seen someone confused about that before too but it isn't correct. Yes there is a six character limit but it's so easy to create characters with the site that just downloading a PDF sheet for reference on a character you aren't playing yet isn't a bad way to go. And even then? It's peanuts for an annual sub.

So is it that you don't need a sub, or that it's cheap? Because you do need a sub to use the tools beyond the relatively small limit of characters (good for one game, maybe, and only really useful as a source of expensive pdfs without the sub). And the fact that the subscription is cheap means gently caress all, I don't care if it's cheap if you buy the yearly sub, I care about the product there more than the price tag on it. What are you even doing here, WotC has devised a system where most people will have to buy a product twice and then pay a subscription fee to get access to the most basic of tools. Why are you defending this. What are you even doing.

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 1, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Arthil posted:

As per usual if your DM isn't a butt about it, it'll work. A paladin in a group I was in several weeks back had her weapon get stuck in an ooze we were fighting. So she Smite-Fisted the thing to death with her plate gauntlet.

:staredog:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

CaPensiPraxis posted:

According to Crawford yes for smite, no for fighting styles.

Here are the distinctions:

1) An attack roll. This is any roll where you're trying to beat AC. Attacking unarmed is an attack roll. All attacks require attack rolls except for special melee attacks like grapple or shove which are opposed skill checks.

2) A melee attack roll or ranged attack roll. These can be weapons or spells, it's just the range that is specified. Attacking unarmed is a melee attack roll. Throwing a knife is a ranged attack roll.

3) A melee spell attack roll or ranged spell attack roll. These are specified by certain spells, and usually use your spellcasting modifier + proficiency. Steel Wind Strike is a melee spell attack roll. Scorching ray is a ranged spell attack roll. Note that some spells have you make a spell attack roll but use a weapon as a spellcasting focus, so you're kind of using your weapon to do the spell but not really.

4) A melee weapon attack roll or ranged weapon attack roll. This is mostly self explanatory, but not entirely. This encompasses most attacks you make using a weapon. However, melee weapon attack rolls also includes unarmed strikes, even though unarmed strikes are not weapons. Ranged weapon attack rolls would be like shooting a longbow.

5) A melee attack with a weapon. This is actually describing a melee attack roll you make, but one you make while holding a weapon. This is not the same as a melee weapon attack! That means unarmed strikes don't count towards this. An example of a melee attack with a weapon includes Booming Blade, which can be done with a crossbow if you like (but as you're making a melee attack, the crossbow counts as an improvised weapon).

6) An attack roll made with a melee weapon. This is any kind of attack roll you make, but it must be using a melee weapon (which means no unarmed). What's the difference between this and the previous category? Well, depending on the rest of the rules text, it could mean an attack roll you make by throwing a melee weapon. Of course, I can only find the Great Weapon Fighting style as an example of this wording at the moment, and it specifies that you must be wielding the weapon in both hands, so that wouldn't come up anyway.

7) I can't find examples of "ranged attack with a weapon" except maybe the Monk's deflect missiles ability. I also can't find "an attack roll made with a ranged weapon."

Summing it up, an unarmed strike IS an attack roll, a melee attack roll, and a melee weapon attack roll. However, it is NOT a melee attack with a weapon, an attack roll made with a melee weapon, or a weapon you can use as a casting focus. Which is funny, because literally any object can be an improvised weapon and count for all of these categories. So if you ever want to use Booming Blade with your fist or have your unarmed strike count for the Dueling fighting style, just declare that the ring on your right hand is an improvised weapon and you're using it to do 1d4 damage. Or pick up a rock.

Edit: Note that a shield can be used as an improvised weapon, even while you're wielding it. However, wearing a shield does not stop you from gaining the benefits of the AC from the shield or the extra damage from the Dueling fighting style , even if you have a sword in your other hand. This means that a shield is both a weapon and not a weapon at the same time.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 1, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Darwinism posted:

So is it that you don't need a sub, or that it's cheap? Because you do need a sub to use the tools beyond the relatively small limit of characters (good for one game, maybe, and only really useful as a source of expensive pdfs without the sub). And the fact that the subscription is cheap means gently caress all, I don't care if it's cheap if you buy the yearly sub, I care about the product there more than the price tag on it. What are you even doing here, WotC has devised a system where most people will have to buy a product twice and then pay a subscription fee to get access to the most basic of tools. Why are you defending this. What are you even doing.

You've failed to explain what you think requires a subscription in order to access. All that a sub does is remove ads, give you an unlimited number of characters to create, and import other peoples homebrew stuff for your own usage.

For the one-time payment, which for me for player-focused stuff was about $70 thanks to that Critical Role $10 off code which is floating around, you will have access to all the content in any book you buy in a far more easily searchable format.

So... Again. What do you think a subscription is supposed to give? Cause you clearly got the wrong idea somewhere about how the site works.

Edit: Just to emphasize my point. While I cannot import other peoples homebrew, I can make anything I want and use it myself. Backgrounds, races, feats, spells, items/magic items and even monsters. I've made several items for custom stuff I've picked up on my barbarian. The only reason I'll ever get the sub is if I really wanna just use other peoples homebrew stuff and want just all the character creation options.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 1, 2018

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really wouldn't mind a fully working version of that "wealth tiers" system from another game where when you have a certain amount of wealth, you can make effectively infinite purchases of however many tiers lower. Keeping track of party wealth to the last digit is dumb as hell. Just tell me if I have enough for an airship yet.

I'd like a wealth system based about "treasures" instead of liquid currency. You can trade an entire treasure for something of power or you can accumulate treasures until your wealth increases and all lesser costs and treasures are ignored and discarded. Then you lose your treasures through folly or vice and must struggle to maintain the level of wealth to which you are accustomed.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Arthil posted:

You've failed to explain what you think requires a subscription in order to access. All that a sub does is remove ads, give you an unlimited number of characters to create, and import other peoples homebrew stuff for your own usage.

For the one-time payment, which for me for player-focused stuff was about $70 thanks to that Critical Role $10 off code which is floating around, you will have access to all the content in any book you buy in a far more easily searchable format.

So... Again. What do you think a subscription is supposed to give? Cause you clearly got the wrong idea somewhere about how the site works.

Edit: Just to emphasize my point. While I cannot import other peoples homebrew, I can make anything I want and use it myself. Backgrounds, races, feats, spells, items/magic items and even monsters. I've made several items for custom stuff I've picked up on my barbarian. The only reason I'll ever get the sub is if I really wanna just use other peoples homebrew stuff and want just all the character creation options.

The subscription gives it functionality as a set of game tools (which is what it was marketed as), and without the subscription it's a lovely-to-as-good-as-you'll-get-this-edition character builder (depending on how much extra money you want to give them). With the basic tier it's basically just a shareable character sheet generator that divides all but the most basic of functionality into 'microtransactions' that are A) really fuckin' big for that type of thing and B) likely something the target audience has already purchased this late into 5E's life. A sub makes it sorta nicer for $2.99/mo which is hilarious - the only meaningful thing there is unlimited characters, let's be real. And last we have 'master' tier, which finally lets us use the thing as a service rather than everyone using a shared account, but the way it's set up seems to want to encourage multiple people to buy content to share with the group but the kick in the nuts there is that content is now spread out. It's taking the ease promised by digital tools and resources being all in one place and then creating new barriers because that's the way brick and mortar works right? Oh and it's $5.99/mo for the pleasure of getting to curate content in addition to being a DM, and you only get three campaigns because who runs more than that right guys?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I mean as a player, who needs to be able to reference/quickly read up on stuff from the books? It's perfect. Loads better than a lovely PDF that doesn't even have proper bookmarks setup. And as I've mentioned before in the thread, I don't need to carry 4-5 books with me whenever I go out to game. I'm still really not understanding the issues you're having, because while the character creator is pretty damned good it's having a fantastically indexed compendium of all the books that I've bought at my thumbs that is the real seller for me. Every else is just icing on the cake. It could have nothing else on the site other than the various compendium listings for everything in the books and I'd still consider it worth it.

As for the three campaign thing. How many campaigns do you know of that have twelve people in them? I can easily see multiple groups with different DMs making use of it simply because of how varied group size can be.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Arthil posted:

I mean as a player, who needs to be able to reference/quickly read up on stuff from the books? It's perfect. Loads better than a lovely PDF that doesn't even have proper bookmarks setup. And as I've mentioned before in the thread, I don't need to carry 4-5 books with me whenever I go out to game. I'm still really not understanding the issues you're having, because while the character creator is pretty damned good it's having a fantastically indexed compendium of all the books that I've bought at my thumbs that is the real seller for me. Every else is just icing on the cake. It could have nothing else on the site other than the various compendium listings for everything in the books and I'd still consider it worth it.

As for the three campaign thing. How many campaigns do you know of that have twelve people in them? I can easily see multiple groups with different DMs making use of it simply because of how varied group size can be.

Okay but saying "the character builder works and Mearls hired someone that knows how indices work" does not detract from or counter any of the points as to why Beyond was and is a pretty bad choice and a lovely lovely thing to do to a customer base and could have been easily done better

It's the only option in town that is exactly what it is but that does not make it good by default

edit: The crux of it is this: D&D Beyond is bad because it is just a middling okay system, to be honest, that requires a significant initial buy-in that the target audience has most likely already paid for in a different format in addition to the monthly cost of using the service at any reasonable level. This is a silly and bad business model that should not be excused just because there is a functioning product attached

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 1, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Nickoten posted:

Here are the distinctions:

1) An attack roll. This is any roll where you're trying to beat AC. Attacking unarmed is an attack roll. All attacks require attack rolls except for special melee attacks like grapple or shove which are opposed skill checks.

2) A melee attack roll or ranged attack roll. These can be weapons or spells, it's just the range that is specified. Attacking unarmed is a melee attack roll. Throwing a knife is a ranged attack roll.

3) A melee spell attack roll or ranged spell attack roll. These are specified by certain spells, and usually use your spellcasting modifier + proficiency. Steel Wind Strike is a melee spell attack roll. Scorching ray is a ranged spell attack roll. Note that some spells have you make a spell attack roll but use a weapon as a spellcasting focus, so you're kind of using your weapon to do the spell but not really.

4) A melee weapon attack roll or ranged weapon attack roll. This is mostly self explanatory, but not entirely. This encompasses most attacks you make using a weapon. However, melee weapon attack rolls also includes unarmed strikes, even though unarmed strikes are not weapons. Ranged weapon attack rolls would be like shooting a longbow.

5) A melee attack with a weapon. This is actually describing a melee attack roll you make, but one you make while holding a weapon. This is not the same as a melee weapon attack! That means unarmed strikes don't count towards this. An example of a melee attack with a weapon includes Booming Blade, which can be done with a crossbow if you like (but as you're making a melee attack, the crossbow counts as an improvised weapon).

6) An attack roll made with a melee weapon. This is any kind of attack roll you make, but it must be using a melee weapon (which means no unarmed). What's the difference between this and the previous category? Well, depending on the rest of the rules text, it could mean an attack roll you make by throwing a melee weapon. Of course, I can only find the Great Weapon Fighting style as an example of this wording at the moment, and it specifies that you must be wielding the weapon in both hands, so that wouldn't come up anyway.

7) I can't find examples of "ranged attack with a weapon" except maybe the Monk's deflect missiles ability. I also can't find "an attack roll made with a ranged weapon."

Summing it up, an unarmed strike IS an attack roll, a melee attack roll, and a melee weapon attack roll. However, it is NOT a melee attack with a weapon, an attack roll made with a melee weapon, or a weapon you can use as a casting focus. Which is funny, because literally any object can be an improvised weapon and count for all of these categories. So if you ever want to use Booming Blade with your fist or have your unarmed strike count for the Dueling fighting style, just declare that the ring on your right hand is an improvised weapon and you're using it to do 1d4 damage. Or pick up a rock.

Edit: Note that a shield can be used as an improvised weapon, even while you're wielding it. However, wearing a shield does not stop you from gaining the benefits of the AC from the shield or the extra damage from the Dueling fighting style , even if you have a sword in your other hand. This means that a shield is both a weapon and not a weapon at the same time.

Ah, 5e, that wonderful simplified, rules lite game with easily understood natural language.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Gold in 5e is almost completely and entirely worthless and it's hilarious. Accountant style gold worked in AD&D because gold was XP, and it worked (way shittier) in 3e and 4e, where it was a secondary character advancement track. In 5e, it does close to nothing. You can't even comfortably use it narratively because it's still done one coin at a time accountant style.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Darwinism posted:

Okay but saying "the character builder works and Mearls hired someone that knows how indices work" does not detract from or counter any of the points as to why Beyond was and is a pretty bad choice and a lovely lovely thing to do to a customer base and could have been easily done better

It's the only option in town that is exactly what it is but that does not make it good by default

I guess I'm just not understanding what's supposed to be bad about it is all. Like whenever I bring up that something works really well, you just throw it in my face childishly like the beginning of your post. I've not found a better character builder, the MPMB sheet was nice but laggy as hell whereas the DnDBeyond one has everything the automated sheet did but is smoother and with a better layout. You also downplay just how important being able to search for stuff easily, or to have just a much nicer layout to look over spells/classes/races/etc is. There's no trawling through google hoping I find the right thing, or that the only results I get are from the D&D Wiki. It's just there.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Gold in 5e is almost completely and entirely worthless and it's hilarious. Accountant style gold worked in AD&D because gold was XP, and it worked (way shittier) in 3e and 4e, where it was a secondary character advancement track. In 5e, it does close to nothing. You can't even comfortably use it narratively because it's still done one coin at a time accountant style.

Woah there, buddy, gold is incredibly useful for buying the fighter new weapons and armor after the Rust Monster encounter.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Going into the last fight of Tomb of Annihilation next week :ohdear:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I have beem shanghaied into running a low level game for my group because frankly I don't trust anyone else to do it.

Anyone kmow where to find a short one session intro game for level 1-3ish characters? No theme required.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Joke: bring back GP = XP

Woke: bring back d20 Modern's Wealth stat

Bespoke: play in Dark Sun :unsmigghh:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Arthil posted:

I smite punched my way out of a monster.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I smite bitchslapped an angel as a part of a diplomacy check.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Gridlocked posted:

We are talking about the mod pack right? Not the default SRD limited version?

They shelled out cash for it, so I assume that is the mod pack. I don't use it personally and can follow up with them.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm so confused by this Artus Cimber subplot in ToA. Who the gently caress is this nerd? Is he a character from some stupid Forgotten Realms novel? Why did he tattoo the names of two koalas on his knuckles? Why is he hanging out with a lizard that speaks in scents? I love old D&D cheesiness but this is too out of left field.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm so confused by this Artus Cimber subplot in ToA. Who the gently caress is this nerd? Is he a character from some stupid Forgotten Realms novel? Why did he tattoo the names of two koalas on his knuckles? Why is he hanging out with a lizard that speaks in scents? I love old D&D cheesiness but this is too out of left field.
He was a big deal in SKT because all these people are looking for him, it's a major plot driver. My players really want to know where he is, and he's not actually in that book at all. I might leave them a hook to go to chult if they want I guess but it was pretty weird when he went unmentioned, as well.

The relevance certainly seems....low.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He was a big deal in SKT because all these people are looking for him, it's a major plot driver. My players really want to know where he is, and he's not actually in that book at all. I might leave them a hook to go to chult if they want I guess but it was pretty weird when he went unmentioned, as well.

The relevance certainly seems....low.

So I should just not even bother with this weird metaplot thing.

I think I'll dump his magic items in some other place because they are nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

So I should just not even bother with this weird metaplot thing.

I think I'll dump his magic items in some other place because they are nice.
The ring of winter is a world-changing thing that a bunch of frost giants are looking for because they believe they can use it to create a perpetual ice age. It's not something your players are supposed to have honestly.