Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sandball posted:

Wild Swordmaster

Thanks for this.

Bogart posted:

Please put your shirt back on Bardin

A shirt would count as armour unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they seem to be pretty willing to just draw from all kinds of backgrounds as inspiration for the classes, so it's hard to tell what they're going to go with for the elf. it doesn't matter to me in any case because i don't play the elf and vermintide 2 will not change that fact.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I really want the elf to just be a rat wearing a people disguise

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I constantly mistake the Elf's silhouette for a Skaven anyway, so she might as well be.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Digirat posted:

Halberd looks so good

Huntsman class description also mentions "the arrow and the bullet" so it's possible the sgt will get bows.

Just realized that plant thing is a Blight Tree / Feculent Gnarlmaw.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

God, normally I'd think you were making that name up. 'Feculant Gnarlmaw' is exactly stupid enough for GW.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm late to the party, but :pcgaming: HALBERD :pcgaming:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

God, normally I'd think you were making that name up. 'Feculant Gnarlmaw' is exactly stupid enough for GW.

The stupider names are easier to copyright.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
feculent fecesmaw

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Feculent Gnarlmaw sounds like one of those MAXIMUM COPYRIGHT names they slapped onto all sorts of plain things in Age of Sigmarines.

"Soulblights: The Vampires. Yes, the word Vampire has been replaced by "Soulblight". Dracula is a Soulblight. Soulblight Bats. Interview With A Soulblight. Soulblight: The Masquerade."

"Deathmages: Necromancers and the Mortis Engine. Please try to ignore the pang of hate when you see that Heinrich Kemmler is now just 'Necromancer'."

"Deathwalkers: Zombies. gently caress, this is painful."

"Deathrattles: Skeletons and Wights. Like Kemmler, Krell is now just 'Wight King'."

"Nighthaunt: Finishing off the list of painful 'Death' renames is Nighthaunts, the ghosts and for some strange reason the Black Coach."

"Khorne's new warriors all have names alluding to their deity's blood and decapitation fetish: Slaughterpriest - Bloodsecrator - Bloodstoker - Skullgrinder - Deathbringer - Red Headsman"

"The Fyreslayers (formerly known as the Red Slayers, the name abruptly changed midway though production likely so it's easier to copyright; note how the impossible to copyright "fire" is spelled with a much more patent-friendly "fyre"), are a faction for Order that doesn't even really pay lip-service to it, unlike the Exiles (Dark Elves). They're mercenary Dwarfs, formerly the Slayers, that worship Grimnir instead of Sigmar's buddy Grungni and won't help the Sigmarines and friends out unless paid in gold. So, in a world that was ripped to shreds from the sphincter out, these guys only care about gold. "Ur-Gold", specifically."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Bloodsecrator is just so...amazingly something. I don't know what it is, but its something, and its a lot of that something.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lot of blood, presumably

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Age of Sigmar is trash and always will be. :colbert:

What they did to slayers is a drat travesty. They somehow managed to make them boring. :geno:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yardbomb posted:

"The Fyreslayers (formerly known as the Red Slayers, the name abruptly changed midway though production likely so it's easier to copyright; note how the impossible to copyright "fire" is spelled with a much more patent-friendly "fyre"), are a faction for Order that doesn't even really pay lip-service to it, unlike the Exiles (Dark Elves). They're mercenary Dwarfs, formerly the Slayers, that worship Grimnir instead of Sigmar's buddy Grungni and won't help the Sigmarines and friends out unless paid in gold. So, in a world that was ripped to shreds from the sphincter out, these guys only care about gold. "Ur-Gold", specifically."

purestrain ur-gold

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Steamhead

Duardin

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

Age of Sigmar is trash and always will be. :colbert:

What they did to slayers is a drat travesty. They somehow managed to make them boring. :geno:

They made everything boring in Age of Sigmar and my only solace is Warhammer video games still aren’t picking up “Ultramarines but gold in fantasy” yet

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They made everything boring in Age of Sigmar and my only solace is Warhammer video games still aren’t picking up “Ultramarines but gold in fantasy” yet

i feel like it's unlikely that they'll do a lot of that simply because it's actually incredibly difficult to make anything have gravitas in age of sigmar, way harder than fantasy or 40k, because everything comes from these elemental planes of chaos, order, or whatever and these planes are impossible to threaten in a practical sense. even sigmarines, when they 'die', don't really die, they just return to the plane of order after a short while. they pick up a new set of armor and they're good to go again. functionally, death means nothing for like 90%+ of all the units hanging around AoS, and all the neutral ground battles where land can change hands or whatever don't matter for the same reason; there's these limitless planes where inexhaustible resources for each side flow out of, so literally no victories or defeats actually matter.

on one hand i can appreciate that this is basically the board game version of the Great Game that they've been telling us the Chaos gods have been playing in warhammer settings for decades. the entire reason WHF and 40k have been allowed to go on as long as they have, from the Chaos Gods' perspective, is that they cannot afford to take their attention off the other Chaos Gods for even an instant. the End Times was explicitly the result of the Chaos Gods finally getting fed up with how much trouble WHF was causing all of them so they called a microsecond long truce to gently caress it all up. in this way, AoS is very much an analog for the Great Game, where countless wars are fought and things happen on an incomprehensible scale, but none of it truly matters because the scale of the job is incomprehensible even in comparison to the effort. but you keep pushing forward for a supremacy goal you have no idea how to get to.

on the other, i was never that interested in anything warhammer because of the way the dice roll and how we determine whether or not someone hit with their boner of badassery. i was interested in warhammer because of the stories it told. and ultimately, i thought a universe of such breathtaking boringness wasn't possible.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's cool and good when Markus Kruber, dude with a mustache and some honest steel, kills the hell out of an 8 foot robot that used to be a champion of the Dark Gods.

It is boring and not good when two 8 foot robots, one of whom used to be a champion of a different God than the other, bonk one another on the head with big hammers for a couple hours then do it again next tuesday.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mother fucker. That was the point of calling him Sigmar? So that could get to SigMarines? gently caress Games Workshop forever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

No, Sigmarine is just the derisive nickname. Their real name is 'STORMCAST ETERNALS' because copyrights.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Like. It's a world with thinking rats toked up on the fabric of reality and undying Egyptian kings and somehow they make everything as unexciting as possible.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Well good news is Tomb Kings are no longer a thing in Age of Sigmar so they aren’t boring! They just don’t exist!

I think my favorite thing about Age of Sigmar was when it came the only other faction was the Khorne warriors who would just get completely stomped by the much stronger Sigmarines and when pointed out GW stated it was so battles were much more epic and to show how cool they were. GW then dispatched a memo to their stores that when demoing the starter set to only play as Khorne so the customer always won and was more inclined to buy it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

GW then dispatched a memo to their stores that when demoing the starter set to only play as Khorne so the customer always won and was more inclined to buy it

This is some activision-blizzard-league poo poo

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Night10194 posted:

No, Sigmarine is just the derisive nickname. Their real name is 'STORMCAST ETERNALS' because copyrights.

It could be worse. It could be sigsig marines :godwin:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The dumb naming has been creeping into Warhammer 40K as well, particularly with the Eldar and Imperial Guard. See, when you hear Eldar you might think about Tolkien and we can't have that, so now they are the Aeldari. The Imperial guard have it even worse, becoming the Astra Militarum because apparently Napoleon Bonaparte is gonna sue you for taking his heavy infantry motif.
Stormtroopers became Tempestus Scions, and the awesome sounding Hellgun is now the hotshot lasgun.

The Spots the Space Marine debacle has driven the GW naming society into a frenzy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If age of sigmar doesn't feature a grumpy knight wielding a renaissance-era M249 SAW then it's already inferior before anything else is considered

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm certain the real reason Slaanesh is on the back burner is that the AoS naming conventions demand she get Cumsecrators, Jizzthirsters, and a Triple Penetratrix.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I still don't get the difference between Age of Sigmar and WH30k. Do they mix? Or is the End Times supposed to just be the end of FantasyHammer?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
30k is horus heresy. Age of Sigmar is the dumb offspring of End times.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Age of Sigmar is what happened after the Warhammer world exploded. It's in space or something. They're only just now making sense out of it.

Horus Heresy is a "historical" game where you re-fight the sci-fi battles 10,000 years before the current Warhammer 40k sci-fi setting. The

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bogart posted:

I still don't get the difference between Age of Sigmar and WH30k. Do they mix? Or is the End Times supposed to just be the end of FantasyHammer?

No relation. Age of Sigmar is what came after the End Times blew up the world and is too disconnected and inhumane to be interesting, 30K is all about the Horus Heresy and the creation of Chaos Marines. I think it's all Forgeworld though, not Games Workshop. "Sigmarines" are just what people disparagingly call AoS's new goodguy faction because they're a transparent attempt to replicate Space Marine's popularity in a fantasy universe.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing the 3 was a typo because 30k is a really specific period within the 40k setting/story. Anyways, no, AoS and 40k do not mix. AoS is an insane trash setting that's tens of thousands of years after the destruction of the Old World and is in space/alternate magical dimensions or something along those lines. It makes no sense and has no stakes because everything is infinite.

40k recently went through some big changes, but is still the same setting at its core. A little more hosed up and now there are bigger marines because reasons. The big marines are dumb. The game is much better in 8th than it was in 7th though. 7th was awful and drove me into 30k instead which is cool and good, but expensive as hell and stuck with a legacy ruleset.

Night10194 posted:

It's cool and good when Markus Kruber, dude with a mustache and some honest steel, kills the hell out of an 8 foot robot that used to be a champion of the Dark Gods.
Stuff like this is why I always wanted an Empire army and now there's no way I'll get around to it. :smith:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 1, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mordja posted:

No relation. Age of Sigmar is what came after the End Times blew up the world and is too disconnected and inhumane to be interesting, 30K is all about the Horus Heresy and the creation of Chaos Marines. I think it's all Forgeworld though, not Games Workshop. "Sigmarines" are just what people disparagingly call AoS's new goodguy faction because they're a transparent attempt to replicate Space Marine's popularity in a fantasy universe.

It worked, by all accounts. 40k players seem to love the Age of Pauldrons, wherever it manifests.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Night10194 posted:

It worked, by all accounts. 40k players seem to love the Age of Pauldrons, wherever it manifests.
I mean, from what I remember hearing, it very much didn't work at first, and AOS wasn't selling until the top brass was beheaded and replaced and the game got a very popular new ruleset.

E: Similar thing happened with 40K; the new edition came out and overhauled everything, making the game actually fun to play, and now GW's rolling in profits.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 1, 2018

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I mean, from what I remember hearing, it very much didn't work at first, and AOS wasn't selling until the top brass was beheaded and replaced and the game got a very popular new ruleset.
The ruleset is still the same and therefore still bad, but they added points and have been supporting the game well enough. They basically had no idea what they were doing and treated AoS as a beta test for the big 40k overhaul in 8th. And killed WHFB to do it. I still can't fathom how they thought it was a good idea to release the game without points or any semblance of an attempt at balance. It was seriously just "throw models onto a table and mash them together" The Game. It's an up-jumped skirmish game and winds up as a big, stupid scrum in the middle of the board because most units are melee-only with no bonuses for flanking. Ranged units can just target anything they want, including characters, and can even shoot while in combat; it had always been possible to tie them up in melee, but not anymore. AoS also managed to inherit the worst part of 7th edition 40k, formations. :vomarine:

40k 8th is fun and I like where they've gone with the setting well enough. Except for the bigger marines, they're really dumb. In all honesty, AoS needs a complete overhaul to make it more like 40k 8th. That won't happen though because GW has some weird idea that they're beyond editions now and so AoS is stuck with this poo poo.

If AoS had just been some weird-rear end spin-off skirmish game it would've been fine. From what I've heard, it works really well as a small-scale skirmish game. Instead, here we are. :smith:

Bring back WHFB, GW. All Some will be forgiven.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eh, I just look at it this way. I never played the wargame, but they're supposedly working on WHFRP 4e, which is good because I really like 2e, Total Hams is out, this is out, etc. As long as someone at GW has learned 'Hey this is fiction so we can just license out this fictional setting and its cool stuff to other people', which they apparently have, I don't really care if the stupid Sigmarines and dumb End Times novels exist. Up until the moment it interferes with my ability to cut forty thousand rats into pieces.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Total Warhammer is the place to get your old world fix

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Coolguye posted:

i feel like it's unlikely that they'll do a lot of that simply because it's actually incredibly difficult to make anything have gravitas in age of sigmar, way harder than fantasy or 40k, because everything comes from these elemental planes of chaos, order, or whatever and these planes are impossible to threaten in a practical sense. even sigmarines, when they 'die', don't really die, they just return to the plane of order after a short while. they pick up a new set of armor and they're good to go again. functionally, death means nothing for like 90%+ of all the units hanging around AoS, and all the neutral ground battles where land can change hands or whatever don't matter for the same reason; there's these limitless planes where inexhaustible resources for each side flow out of, so literally no victories or defeats actually matter.

There are two things that fantasy has, that has that 40K lacks and AoS really lacks. First, as previously mentioned, is a relatable sense of scale that makes the conflicts in the world have actual meaningful stakes. The second is enough tongue in cheek humor and silliness that keeps the grim dark elements from getting unbearably monotonous. Without those elements, AoS especially just feels utterly weightless and tediously samey.

Night10194 posted:

It is boring and not good when two 8 foot robots, one of whom used to be a champion of a different God than the other, bonk one another on the head with big hammers for a couple hours then do it again next tuesday.

I feel like both Fatshark and CA have a much better idea what makes GW properties compelling then GW itself. I particularly like some of the random events in TW Warhammer such as the when dwarves get a grudge against the undead for raising dead dwarves as zombies to perform a play, it being an extra serious grudge because the play is bad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Warhammer Fantasy RP 4e is indeed on it's way and is due a little later this year. Age of Sigmar is also getting a RPG from the same guys.

And to be fair to Age of Sigmar it's lore is starting to get fleshed out and it is better then what initial impressions gave. The Malign Portents site generally has some interesting short stories and guides on the setting. Is it as good as the Old World, no not at all, but at least it's becoming interesting enough to get somewhat invested in.

Edit: All the renames are still stupid though. Just call a Dwarf a Dwarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
ill say this much, Sloppity Bilepiper owns, unironically

• Locked thread