Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Archonex posted:

So how does the feudal society civic work. Is it really CK2 in space sans all the leader interactions? Because if so then gently caress yes. Going to do an all feudal society empires game. Possibly with humans and one or two alien species thrown in for that Game of Thrones in Space feel. :allears:

The most overpowered empire I ever had was a Feudal Realm. Even more than the passive aggressive Maweers I mentioned above.

Like most of my games, it started as a tall/single-planet game. I was grabbing lots of nearby space with frontier outposts, per my usual strats. I did make a difference: I made sure to invade and/or uplift every single planet with a pre-FTL civilization I found. I immediately released each as a vassal, usually freeing up 1-3 outposts with each one.

However, in every one-planet game I've ever played, I've come up to a point where my mineral economy outgrows my ability to produce things. Eventually I start building megastructures, but there's always a decade or two between "I can't spend all this money" and "I'm saving for the next stage of my dyson sphere."

That's when I started to colonize. And then each of colonies, in turn, was immediately released as a vassal or ceded to an existing vassal, depending on location.

By 2275, about the time my science nexus was complete, my naval cap was in the 300-400 range (because I got a boost equal to half of each vassal). I didn't have many ships, but my vassals sure as hell did. The one war that got declared was hilarious. Fanatical Purifiers are so adorable sometimes. My 5-star admiral, in command of all eight of my corvettes and one (salvaged) cruiser, lead five or six vassal fleets each ten times that size on a rampage across the enemy's territory, smashing their puny resistance.

It was shortly thereafter that I expanded beyond my initial planet onto those 3-5 prime planets I'd staked out with frontier outposts. I shifted to war-time production and started annexing my neighbors, giving their planets to my vassals. I got a domination victory by 2310, with a naval cap of like 1200. I never used even a quarter of it. It's boss as hell when your tech and naval capacity is Overwhelming compared to every neighbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Splicer posted:

I've still never built one of them. I've built Dyson spheres and ringworlds but I've never built that or the sensor thing because by the time I'm finished building Dyson spheres and ringworlds I've already researched everything and there's no enemies left to spy on.

Megastructures are kind of pointless right now, in that if you can afford them then you don't need them. I'm experimenting with halving the build time and mineral costs, and removing the "one at a time" limitation, and they're proving useful in my current game, but I'm also using Faster Start (as I find the very early game tedious as gently caress) so I'm not sure how much that affects their utility without that mod.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

THE BAR posted:

All it does is cut how strong your vassals think they are when compared to you in half, and allow them to build outposts and colonize planets outside of their own area. This is good because they can keep growing without having you to feed them, and they can even colonize near fallen empires without them demanding they back off. It is bad because they can take areas you might want for yourself, and you can't demand them to hand over what they've built to you.

I love having vassals in Stellaris, as I run a Unity-heavy build, and the fact that there's no cap on vassals means that you can quickly build a massive Unity lead by abusing the Domination tree's 5% Unity per subject by releasing a bunch of 1 planet vassals.

E:

I've probably just killed this strategy by posting it here, oh well. :shrug:
That uh should probably scale based on vassal size or something :shepface:

GotLag posted:

Megastructures are kind of pointless right now, in that if you can afford them then you don't need them. I'm experimenting with halving the build time and mineral costs, and removing the "one at a time" limitation, and they're proving useful in my current game, but I'm also using Faster Start (as I find the very early game tedious as gently caress) so I'm not sure how much that affects their utility without that mod.
They could maybe work better if they didn't need such a big upfront payment. Pay like 10% of the cost up front and then they eat a percentage of your income until they've eaten their full construction cost. More like colonising than building a giant mining station. Have a 25%/50%/75%/100% button somewhere to say how much of your minerals are devoted to megastructures at one time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Aw yess my first ever natural crisis since the time got slid back to 2400

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I'm confused about mega structures. Like the orbital habitat is good, not too expensive, has good benefit. But I've got a Dyson sphere platform just sitting there because I forgot it's 50,000 minerals to build 1 stage...at the time I was at maybe +300 so said forget it never going to happen. Have around +1k now but even then it's a half decade of sitting on very fast building nothing.

GotLag posted:

Megastructures are kind of pointless right now, in that if you can afford them then you don't need them.

Yeah this. The only time I've finished a Dyson is post-end game crisis where my fleet cap was maxed out already and had nothing to do. The cost of building it, and to a lesser extent the other structures, is just too great.

The Science Nexus at 30k isn't too bad, I think 20-30k is a reasonable amount.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Loel posted:

Found this game in my steam library and thinking of trying it out, any required DLC or mods?

I like them all.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Megastructures are something to do to dickwave when you can, but the ruined ones are by far the best option

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah I'm confused about mega structures. Like the orbital habitat is good, not too expensive, has good benefit. But I've got a Dyson sphere platform just sitting there because I forgot it's 50,000 minerals to build 1 stage...at the time I was at maybe +300 so said forget it never going to happen. Have around +1k now but even then it's a half decade of sitting on very fast building nothing.

Yeah this. The only time I've finished a Dyson is post-end game crisis where my fleet cap was maxed out already and had nothing to do. The cost of building it, and to a lesser extent the other structures, is just too great.

The Science Nexus at 30k isn't too bad, I think 20-30k is a reasonable amount.

I like the idea of having a megastructure "tax" so that you aren't sitting around until you get 50,000 minerals, but instead get to watch them slowly build over time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

aaaand the drat crisis is loving broken

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

stupid game failed to actually spawn the contingency faction so i can't beat them up :argh:

and this is ironman so I don't have a thing to revert to

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like the idea of having a megastructure "tax" so that you aren't sitting around until you get 50,000 minerals, but instead get to watch them slowly build over time.
So with a Dyson you'd pay the 10K for the site, then another 240K in a continuous drain. Cap it at a max of 250 a month so it still takes a minimum of 80 years from start to finish, with Master Builders doubling the amount you can dump per month. Keep the current tiers but have them kick in automatically when they reach the relevant stages of completion. Events could fire that give you construction bonus mineral dumps that get spent one for one with production, like how research rewards work.

------------

WIZ semi-unrelated to Megastructures chat: Mega-Engineering has a x2 research card chance if you have Master Builders, but Master Builders gives you Mega-Engineering. I mean it's not really hurting anyone but...

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 1, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mega structures need to be part of an event chain where you find ruined pieces or laboratories where they are developed so that they aren't just an endgame victory lap. I'd love to have ringworld constructs early that aren't as good as the real thing (various debuffs, lower size) and probably a good bit more options.

Some mods add asteroid habitats and an option to reactivate abandoned habitats with wildly different tiles as a reward for doing quests would be nice.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

So with a Dyson you'd pay the 10K for the site, then another 240K in a continuous drain. Cap it at a max of 250 a month so it still takes a minimum of 80 years from start to finish, with Master Builders doubling the amount you can dump per month. Keep the current tiers but have them kick in automatically when they reach the relevant stages of completion. Events could fire that give you construction bonus mineral dumps that get spent one for one with production, like how research rewards work.

I really like this idea. Also reposting my two suggestions/requests, feel like they got lost in the midst of everyone drooling over 2.0:

Lprsti99 posted:

Wiz, any chance that 2.0 can include a fix so that random ship-class names aren't reused if the namelist has any alternatives?

Lprsti99 posted:

FE: Wait the words I want are "Let us adjust the upper and lower bounds of the randomization." Still leaving my pretty pictures though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hey, what happens when a hive mind integrates another hive mind vassal?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I still can't believe I played a game where I built 9 loving ringworlds from scratch, what the hell was I thinking :psyduck:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If you're an AI empire does the Contingency jack your fleets? Like a fool i've been dumping minerals into a dyson sphere instead of building out my ~2400 fleet cap. But don't want to start rushing ships if I'll just lose them all.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

THE loving MOON posted:

I still can't believe I played a game where I built 9 loving ringworlds from scratch, what the hell was I thinking :psyduck:

I've just finished my 7th

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

THE loving MOON posted:

"900 tiles of space on Gaia conditions should be a good start for my empire!"

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

THE loving MOON posted:

I built 12 once.

The game was over before I finished my second one, but you're only a successful space empire if you can wave your dick across the entire galaxy.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

I mean, it's gonna be pretty hard for any later civilizations to forget about a space empire that put ringworlds on literally every star in the galaxy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So it's my understanding that the upcoming free content update with the new expansion is basically fixing the last of the problems I had with vanilla Stellaris, which leaves me in the position we all love on SA; asking which Paradox expansions to get. They all seem good from a content perspective, so mostly I just want to know if any of them gently caress anything up or add any particularly unnecessary tedium or badly thought out/of systems.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Orv posted:

So it's my understanding that the upcoming free content update with the new expansion is basically fixing the last of the problems I had with vanilla Stellaris, which leaves me in the position we all love on SA; asking which Paradox expansions to get. They all seem good from a content perspective, so mostly I just want to know if any of them gently caress anything up or add any particularly unnecessary tedium or badly thought out/of systems.

Nope; they're all pretty okay. I'd wait for a sale for the species packs unless you really like being a plant or a space-(insert fantasy race here), but none of them introduce anything awful.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Splicer posted:

------------

WIZ semi-unrelated to Megastructures chat: Mega-Engineering has a x2 research card chance if you have Master Builders, but Master Builders gives you Mega-Engineering. I mean it's not really hurting anyone but...

Pretty much. Maybe give the player a bit more freedom than 250 a month, but definitely flesh them out more than "spend 50K instantly make progress".

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Forums are being all wonky this morning but have come back just in time for today's diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-103-civic-ascension-perks-changes-and-additions.1067730/

Some very powerful late game stuff coming in 2.0 along with making your decisions more distinct.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

So i've been playing for almost a week and while I really enjoy it, there are a bunch of UI/UX issues that annoy me, especially because they appear in much less polished and older games like Space Empires IV/V

Specifically, there really needs to be a way to streamline production of fleets and military. I never thought I'd say this, but I actually fondly remember MOO3's system of using rally points and having an invisible pool of ships an armies that can be mustered at whatever rally point you like, regardless of where they're produced. This means you don't have to care about where a ship is built, only that they are built and when the time comes to deploy them, you can just select a system with a rally point and create the fleet there.

While I don't think Stellaris should go that far, I think it would be good to designate planets as "staging areas" and when you want to build X Destroyers, Y Cruisers and Z battleships, you just order the ones you want and the exact planet they're produced on is managed for you such that the orders are distributed evenly so you don't have 1 big queue that takes years to finish and don't have to manually dive into your sectors to visit planets and add the ships to each queue.

Hell, it would be cool to pre-designate a new fleet, assign what ships you want in that fleet, set where it should rally and then hit 'go' and your planets will deal with setting up the production queues. This already sort of happens with colony ships.

An alternative would be a global ship manager where you specify how many ships you want, what types you want or how you want to budget your minerals towards each type and then the sector managers will try to fulfil it. This would allow you to ensure your empire is always building ships to reach a user-set number and strength so you don't have to manually handle it yourself, or go on a mad dash to replenish a destroyed fleet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PiCroft posted:

So i've been playing for almost a week and while I really enjoy it, there are a bunch of UI/UX issues that annoy me, especially because they appear in much less polished and older games like Space Empires IV/V

Specifically, there really needs to be a way to streamline production of fleets and military. I never thought I'd say this, but I actually fondly remember MOO3's system of using rally points and having an invisible pool of ships an armies that can be mustered at whatever rally point you like, regardless of where they're produced. This means you don't have to care about where a ship is built, only that they are built and when the time comes to deploy them, you can just select a system with a rally point and create the fleet there.

While I don't think Stellaris should go that far, I think it would be good to designate planets as "staging areas" and when you want to build X Destroyers, Y Cruisers and Z battleships, you just order the ones you want and the exact planet they're produced on is managed for you such that the orders are distributed evenly so you don't have 1 big queue that takes years to finish and don't have to manually dive into your sectors to visit planets and add the ships to each queue.

Hell, it would be cool to pre-designate a new fleet, assign what ships you want in that fleet, set where it should rally and then hit 'go' and your planets will deal with setting up the production queues. This already sort of happens with colony ships.

An alternative would be a global ship manager where you specify how many ships you want, what types you want or how you want to budget your minerals towards each type and then the sector managers will try to fulfil it. This would allow you to ensure your empire is always building ships to reach a user-set number and strength so you don't have to manually handle it yourself, or go on a mad dash to replenish a destroyed fleet.

Can you wait 3 weeks?
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-98-fleet-manager.1060624/

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If you're an AI empire does the Contingency jack your fleets? Like a fool i've been dumping minerals into a dyson sphere instead of building out my ~2400 fleet cap. But don't want to start rushing ships if I'll just lose them all.

Nope.

On a related note, in the game I was playing as a machine empire the whole galaxy joined up in one federation (except the spiritualist awakened empire) to beat back the contingency, with my plantoid robot fleet leading the federation fleets.

It felt like the Mass Effect 3 ending but better.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Oh man, I missed that diary when I was looking through the upcoming features.

Cherryh can't come quick enough!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Forums are being all wonky this morning but have come back just in time for today's diary:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-103-civic-ascension-perks-changes-and-additions.1067730/

Some very powerful late game stuff coming in 2.0 along with making your decisions more distinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3zrzyLOCw

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pretty much. Maybe give the player a bit more freedom than 250 a month, but definitely flesh them out more than "spend 50K instantly make progress".
Having it work like science would open up a lot of design space. You're capped (maximum, not minimum) at 250 per month by default but one mineral could grant 1.25 mineralsworth of progress with the right modifiers. Events or player driven actions could add to a virtual mineral reserve that's drained to add to progress on a 1:1 with minerals spent. A lot of event and mechanics fodder there. Like building in a system with an asteroid belt removes the belt but add a decade's worth of reserve minerals. A gas giant in an adjacent system could be tapped for atmospheric filler for your ringworld, adding a positive modifier but transforming it into a barren world.

This could also work as a terraforming mechanic. Again you kick it off with 10% of the cost and it syphons off energy for the duration. Events could fire with the kind of things Shibawanko was talking about, so a gas giant in the system lets you spend some minerals for a thousand reserve energy credits.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 1, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm usually playing on a lower difficulty, turtling until I've outteched all my opponents and acquired all the unique technologies (psi shields, enigmatic reactors, dragonscale armor etc.). Then I wage limited war to nudge the galaxy into a more interesting direction... only to find out that these assholes have stolen my techs from the few losses I had :argh:

Enigmatic Engineering will be one of the first Ascension Perks I'll take after the update.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm assuming that we can't take Post-Apoc for Machine Empires, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Nihilistic Acquisition is going to be a mandatory perk for my Rogue Servitors.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

HardDiskD posted:

I'm assuming that we can't take Post-Apoc for Machine Empires, right?

Well, we should be able to; how else would you represent the Skynet future?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Wow, raiding sounds great, and this game sorely needs more ways to up the racial diversity on a planet before they fill up completely in the early game - even if it's achieved by abducting a terrified alien population and forcing them into slavery on a distant planet. This helps fill in a mechanical gap the migration system never really handled that way, and the concept itself is so cool and flavorful from a lore and head-canon perspective too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enigmatic engineering is a really interesting one cos yeah, it was really silly playing a tech focused empire but if you lost one corvette in a fight, you basically handed your enemy all your technology.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Bramble posted:

Wow, raiding sounds great, and this game sorely needs more ways to up the racial diversity on a planet before they fill up completely in the early game - even if it's achieved by abducting a terrified alien population and forcing them into slavery on a distant planet. This helps fill in a mechanical gap the migration system never really handled that way, and the concept itself is so cool and flavorful from a lore and head-canon perspective too.
The post-cherryh universe will probably be a bit more diverse thanks having to actually research tile blockers again and the new MoN spawning late game tiles.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 1, 2018

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

First time playthrough:

quote:

Ethos: Fanatic Egalitarian (+30% Faction Influence Gain, -20% Consumer Goods Cost), Xenophobe (+15% Rivalry Influence Gain, +15% Border Range)

Government: Democratic (Sorta), Shadow Council (-50% Election Influence Cost), Cutthroat Politics (+1 Monthly Influence)

Going for a deadly decadent court of squid people. I think I missed doing species traits, which :v: lol. Oh well.

quote:

2201: Built 3 science ships, bought 2 more scientists, began surveying
2202: Built 2 construction ships, put mining stations all over home system. Discovery tradition chosen
2203: Began frontier outpost, second construction ship idle
2204: Mining stations in second solar system

Oh hey Ive played for an hour and a half :v: Neat little game so far.

quote:

2206: Tradition: Boldly Go
2207: Ran out of places within the border to place stations. Looks like I built too many scientists and cant build another outpost, which means Im stalling. Time to restart, and this time Ill have traits :v:

Species Traits: Conformists (+25% Governing Ethics Attraction), Communal (+5% Happiness), Repugnant (-5% Other Species Happiness)

My context for 4x games is SMAC where I would build Human Hive, play wide, and just go infinite city sprawl. Looks like the Prosperity / Transtellar lets me rush colony pods, so going to try that next :D Any suggestions before I go in?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Loel posted:

My context for 4x games is SMAC where I would build Human Hive, play wide, and just go infinite city sprawl. Looks like the Prosperity / Transtellar lets me rush colony pods, so going to try that next :D Any suggestions before I go in?

The important thing to remember is that unlike other 4X games, you aren't losing if you're not winning hard enough. In fact, winning is barely possible or desirable, given the wacky-rear end victory conditions - the game's more about hitting your own player-set goals. You could probably have survived waiting for influence to build up enough for your outposts without suffering too much, or even dismantling a poorly-placed outpost or two. The early game certainly is a race for territory, but you're not doomed if you fall behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Enigmatic engineering is a really interesting one cos yeah, it was really silly playing a tech focused empire but if you lost one corvette in a fight, you basically handed your enemy all your technology.

It's an interesting benefit, but I'm dubious about giving up an ascension perk slot to get that benefit. Generally I'm not scared of AI empires scavenging my tech.

• Locked thread