Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconRecon
Jul 22, 2005

Heres you coming out of your mother's third base.

Huskalator posted:

So we're supposed to have a local no-ship math trade tomorrow and the algorithm is apparently delayed because one guy didn't confirm his wants and now the guy running the math trade can't figure out how to get past that.

Kind of annoying as I'm eager to see if I successfully traded Munchkin for Gloomhaven.

I'll be at that trade. Glad you guys got it sorted out. Managed to snag a copy of Fallout in the chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

James The 1st posted:

What are some more good social type games like Resistance and Coup? Is Deception: Murder in Hong Kong good?
I still haven't really found any good replacements or alternatives for these two in the same weight category, but Don Eskridge's new game has 20 hours left on Kickstarter and looks like it could be pretty good: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/845031916/black-hole-council

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

James The 1st posted:

What are some more good social type games like Resistance and Coup? Is Deception: Murder in Hong Kong good?

Deception is good, as is Secret Hitler, which offers a good variation on the Resistance formula . Our favorite is One Night Ultimate Werewolf which is a super fast and simple deduction game. Deception is the most "gamey" of the lot I'd say, with Secret Hitler/Resistance in the middle, and ONUW/Coup on the lighter and faster side.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

James The 1st posted:

Deception works well with new players in big groups, and is quite fast both to learn and play. It's not like coup or resistance, it's a co-operative detective game, and I've had a great time with it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

FulsomFrank posted:

I've been loving the scoundrel for the most part but feeling frustrated that so many of her abilities revolve around allies being adjacent and no enemy allies adjacent. Has anyone else found it difficult to get positioning right since A) scoundrel initiative is often so low that you're going first resulting in A) no allies being adjacent for bonuses and B) enemies still being bunched together so there goes that bonus too?

I know you can use the smoke bomb to yank an enemy out of position but that's one card and then you're stuck without it until the next shuffle (assuming you manage to not lose it either).

Do you usually just spend a turn activating some buffs and maybe shooting at someone in order to let your team/enemies get into a favourable positions?

Yeah our scoundrel opened with the throwing knives so the monsters move forward, then because you have such a high initiative you know the exact board state and can plan around that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm probably the only person in my town who dislikes Deception, but nevertheless I'd disagree about it being the most "gamey" - in fact, I'd say it's rather high on "it's just fun!" cardboard social thing to do, rather than being much of a 'tight' game like Coup.

For groups of 4-6 I quite enjoy Kakerlaken Poker - it's dead simple to explain, fast and even if the crowd turns out too "it's just fun" to try go for any semblance of strategy, it will still offer some amusing moments of very awkward compunded lies. It's definitely lighter and looser than Coup, though.

Also, does Pictomania count?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Played some Forex last night with my 9 year old and my two brothers. We ended up having it cut it halfway through the game because one of the brothers had to leave early, but it was an interesting experience. My kid needed some nudging to understand the concepts of futures trading but he enjoyed it. The older of my two brothers, who is a huge gambler, didn’t like it at all which really surprised me. The younger one took forever to do anything and I thought he hated it but later he texted me asking if we could play it again.

I’m still struggling with the game and am uncertain how much I like it. I want to play it more with people who’s minds work with this kind of game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Huskalator posted:

Didn't get Gloomhaven but picked up Maria for Cave vs Cave.

I don't know what Cave vs. Cave is but you just made an upgrade that's like trading a dime for a diamond.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Board Game Thread 4e: My 9 years old kid needed some nudging to understand the concepts of futures trading

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Cave vs Cave is a really cute fun little 2 player version of Caverna... that retails for about $25 in Canada. And is still in print that I'm aware of and is easily found.

So not sure how you managed to trade a $25 game for a $65 one that appears sold out in a lot of places but good job anyway!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jordan7hm posted:

Played some Forex last night with my 9 year old and my two brothers. We ended up having it cut it halfway through the game because one of the brothers had to leave early, but it was an interesting experience. My kid needed some nudging to understand the concepts of futures trading but he enjoyed it. The older of my two brothers, who is a huge gambler, didn’t like it at all which really surprised me. The younger one took forever to do anything and I thought he hated it but later he texted me asking if we could play it again.

I’m still struggling with the game and am uncertain how much I like it. I want to play it more with people who’s minds work with this kind of game.

Did you houserule it at all? I know you were talking about the floating double-action token after the PBF.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Did you houserule it at all? I know you were talking about the floating double-action token after the PBF.

No, I wanted to play it with the actual rules in person. I think a problem with our goon game was the delay between turns meaning you might go days without making meaningful non resolve actions, and I think that might not feel as bad if it’s only a couple rounds.

I’m going to try to play it with real rules next time too.

I’m also switching to poker chips. The money in this game is super trash, just a really bad solution.

e: in general the components are bad. I like the game but I bought it because I wanted to give Hollandspiele my money. I might end up just making my own components for the entire thing. I’m thinking a dry erase board for the contracts.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm probably the only person in my town who dislikes Deception, but nevertheless I'd disagree about it being the most "gamey" - in fact, I'd say it's rather high on "it's just fun!" cardboard social thing to do, rather than being much of a 'tight' game like Coup.

Deception seems fine, but I can't imagine playing it more than a few times. Gameplay has more in common with Codenames than a hidden role game - and Codenames is just a lot more interesting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Not sure if it has been posted yet, but Gloomhaven is in stock on Amazon. $133

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

jmzero posted:

Deception seems fine, but I can't imagine playing it more than a few times. Gameplay has more in common with Codenames than a hidden role game - and Codenames is just a lot more interesting.

Codenames is a good example here, because apart from that very same feeling of 'why aren't we playing Codenames instead', the Codename-style puzzle of trying to piece together context of several loosely connected words is where it falls apart from me.

The evidence boards seem rather bad to me, in that there's rarely ever a game where about half of them have gently caress-all to do with the case at hand, or the connection is as vague as it can. In Codenames, the equivalent singleton un-connectable words are either quickly dealt with as softballs if one team is in the lead, or result in the most memorable, panic-induced lateral thinking masterpieces of desperation. In Deception there's really little to push the moderator to brilliance and in practice they usually end up with the blandest possible answer specifically so that the investigators don't get fixated on any dumb detail.

I don't think I've ever saw anybody feel really clever about their clues.

Another thing that irks me (to a probably unreasonable degree) is the lovely mechanic of doling out extra clues. Unless I stumbled on some Monopoly-esque case of everyone teaching me wrong, it seems extremely un-tight in that there's little incentive to really do anything (primarily: go for an early vote) until you wait for the entire thing to be unveiled - unless, perhaps, you're super tight about everybody speaking just once per turn, which in turn kinda kills the social aspect of the game?

I think it's kind of a smoke and mirrors to pretend the moderator has anything to do for the entire game after the setup - and let's face it, the clue boards ain't meaty enough to allow for some real reacting to the running theory. Codenames sometimes get critiqued for the Spymasters being forced to sit quietly while others are having fun, in the time it would take the forensic expert to twiddle their thumbs waiting for the round to be over, they get to invent several increasingly difficult clues, have a reason to actually listen to what others are thinking and still have a fellow Spymaster to cryptically chat about awkward or memorable board positions.

The traitor element is cool in theory, but cannot really spread its wings, since the puzzle itself is a muddy mess in the first place.

I'd honestly rather just play charades.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Did someone say DEXTERITY GAMES!

Entry Level:

Coconuts - You have these derpy monkeys and you try and fling "coconuts" into these cups. It's pretty great to watch 4 adults trash talk over this stupid kids game.

Ice Cool - This is a great game where you can make some sweet flick plays, jump over walls, and catch fish. Great for mixed groups, but amazing with adults.

Rhino Hero Super Battle - Normal rhino hero is OK, but RHSB is one of the best new releases I have played that is fun for everyone no matter what. The larger cards and addition of monkeys hanging from walls really makes this a must have for families.

Hobbyist:

Pitchcar - My #1 dexterity game. I have a group that gets together twice a year to play an entire day of this complete with homebrew track elements (two woodworkers in group) and homebrew tournament rules.

Crokinole - Just play crokinole you idiot.

Junk Art or Bausack/Bandu/Sac Noir - These are all pretty much the same game, but I'll give the nod to Junk Art because it includes more ways to play in the box. I prefer Bausack for its hard choices and bean management, but Junk Art is a better pick for 99% of people.

Hidden Gems:

Mord im Arosa - This is a strange one where you are listening for tiny cubes as they descend a tower that has holes all the way down. I am goddawful at it, but it is certainly unique and frustratingly fun.

Riff Raff - I never see anyone talk about this game besides my game group. You have this "ship" that is basically a pendulum you make with the gamebox box (hard to explain) and you are balancing things on this wobbly as poo poo ship. You can catch things as they are falling, but usually

Dungeon Fighter - I included this one purely with how goofy it is. You will be rolling dice towards a target no the table while your eyes are closed under a table with a friend manipulating your wrist. Such a strange experience and pretty difficult. Definitely a play before you buy kinda thing.

Maze Racer - This is a game where you race to build a track on a tray you then give to your opponent. The first person to complete their assigned maze wins. Rinse/repeat. There really are a lot of options in this game, whether you make a long maze or one with dead ends or just general fuckery.

Hearts of Attraction - Have you ever wondered how many magnets you could scoop up while flicking another magnet across a playfield? Well this game is for you!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mordiceius posted:

Not sure if it has been posted yet, but Gloomhaven is in stock on Amazon. $133

My wallet curses you.

I'm not even going to have a chance to play it until April, but I guess I should grab it now in case it becomes scarce again when I need it. Luckily my roommate says he'll order the organizer if I buy the game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Paper Kaiju posted:

My wallet curses you.

I'm not even going to have a chance to play it until April, but I guess I should grab it now in case it becomes scarce again when I need it. Luckily my roommate says he'll order the organizer if I buy the game.

Currently 7 left in stock.

Sold out. Now going for 165+25 shipping.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 1, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rad Valtar posted:

Has anyone played Altiplano? Me and my wife love Orleans but we have pretty much figured out the optimal ways of beating each other and are looking for something more variable which it seems like Altiplano offers in the same system.

I'm a huge Orleans fan, I own both expansions and all the Neue Ortskarten packs, so I was really looking forward to Altiplano. But I only played it twice before selling it to someone in my group who loves it. There are things I like about it, but I don't think the base game is balanced and ultimately I think it has much less variability than Orleans.

Do you have Orleans: Trade and Intrigue? Between the new events, the new Beneficial Deeds board and the Intrigue board (AKA Dirty Deeds) I don't know how you can run out of variety with that.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Cheaper than my LGS. And they had the temerity to bitch and complain about people doing returns when they found out other local stores had it for MSRP.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
The only dexterity game in my pile is Polarity, which I won a copy of in a local tournament of it [!]

It's a lot of fun but you really want a solid table and no traffic around the room - Do Not Play at a game event with multiple other games in the room as one person slamming a seat back can make your whole Polarity table go foom if you're unlucky.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Is junk art really a hobbyist game? I've played it with drunk non gamers and they get it about 5 seconds after you tell them it's a game where we are going to be stacking things up to build the tallest structures.

Start with one of the real time ish games so then it's obvious.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I really want Junk Art but the wooden version costs a bomb, it's a bummer

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I really want Junk Art but the wooden version costs a bomb, it's a bummer

I've played both.. the plastic version is fine. The only bummer is the scoring tokens are terrible compared to the wooden ones, and the game is only in english. And for some stupid rear end reason the manual ships folded up. But these are small, non gameplay effecting issues.

This may be cognitive bias as I own the plastic version.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

dfdsaf

Mordiceius posted:

In stock at Walmart for 139.99.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gloomhaven-Board-Game/291875780

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Does Jenga count as a dexterity game?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Absolutely. Just because it's slow and deliberate instead of... flicky, or some either kind of fast, doesn't make it not dexterity-based.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Jenga is worker placement.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dancer posted:

Absolutely. Just because it's slow and deliberate instead of... flicky, or some either kind of fast, doesn't make it not dexterity-based.

oh you can play jenga flicky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9BmTmMEOhQ

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dancer posted:

I’ve always played Jenga with flicks unless we’re playing Dread which explicitly tells you not to flick them.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Meeple Circus looks adorable and appears to be a neat take on the dexterity genre too.

Also, does anyone know where I can find cheap little 15mm discs in Canada so I can pimp my Antiquity as per BGG? I could always just source them from PrintPlayGames but between the exchange and shipping it'd be like a $100 for little wooden pieces, which seems higher than it should be to me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

Meeple Circus looks adorable and appears to be a neat take on the dexterity genre too.

Also, does anyone know where I can find cheap little 15mm discs in Canada so I can pimp my Antiquity as per BGG? I could always just source them from PrintPlayGames but between the exchange and shipping it'd be like a $100 for little wooden pieces, which seems higher than it should be to me.

How much is shipping to you from cool stuff inc? They put Palenque on sale for $3 every so often, up to 2 copies/customer. I’m probably going to end up using mine for that. I said I’d play the game at least once but that’s time away from playing games I know are good.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It is that time in the Westerosi calendar again. New pbf of Game of Thrones starting, this time with the Dance with Dragons expac. Be there or be square.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FulsomFrank posted:

There’s a place outside Ottawa that does this kind of stuff and custom meeples but for the life of me I can’t remember their name. If I remember I’ll post it.

e:
Customgamebits.com

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 1, 2018

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
How are y'all talking about dexterity games without bringing up Cube Quest? Cube Quest is dope.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jordan7hm posted:

There’s a place outside Ottawa that does this kind of stuff and custom meeples but for the life of me I can’t remember their name. If I remember I’ll post it.

e:
Customgamebits.com

Thanks, I'll check them out. Their inserts look pretty cool and appear really reasonably priced too.

Chill la Chill posted:

How much is shipping to you from cool stuff inc? They put Palenque on sale for $3 every so often, up to 2 copies/customer. I’m probably going to end up using mine for that. I said I’d play the game at least once but that’s time away from playing games I know are good.

No clue, I've never ordered from them before but I've got a mailbox in the states that cuts down on some of the worst of it I suppose.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I haven't played it but looking at the rules, I'm not sure Junk Art is really hobbyist level - it has rules for a bunch of different "cities" but they seem to boil down to minor variations on the basic (simple - not that that's bad) game. Meanwhile, something like Flick 'Em Up has actual not super great scenarios and rules for interacting with buildings and items and stuff.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does Jenga count as a dexterity game?

It's a roleplaying game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someone combine 18xx’s with dexterity games tia. More games should be a mix of physical and mental, like chess boxing. I used to do a bit of that in an MMA club and it’s pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Actually it's a complex euro where you need to balance your resources that shift every round to the current player. It's a worker-removal (reverse worker-placement) game where removing workers hinders other players trying to build their engine, which is represented by the tower itself. A perfect engine interacts with itself with straight lines, but removing workers in particular ways can harm other players chances at success, while possibly harming your own in the future, forcing you to plan multiple moves ahead.