Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brian Michael Bendis has, though his entire career, included gags in police stations where people would be getting carted into jail and be someone dressed like a superhero or whatever. That's Bendis being carried away, and the women are in Ms. Martian costumes. Bleeding Cool (sigh) has a gallery of them. The Captain Universe panel is Jonathon Hickman.

Also, looking it up, the guys carrying him away are the artist and colorist of Defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Skwirl posted:

The person being arrested is Brian Michael Bendis, who wrote the issue and also has been writing scenes of crazy people getting arrested into his comics for apparently 17 years. I think it started in Ultimate Spider-Man.

To expand on this slightly, the people getting arrested in the previous comics were often dressed as Super Heroes (I seem to recall a Captain Marvel look alike specifically), spouting "nonsense" about the end of the world and a coming reckoning, etc. Except, as it turns out, they were predicting things that were going to happen in the big event leading up to Secret Wars a few years back, where the Marvel Multiverses were being systematically destroyed.

There must be a collection of them somewhere, but a quick google didn't land for me.

EDIT: Beaten and linked, but the Ms Marvel costume is the best, and technically was the one talking about the "convergence."
2nd: And wow, I missed that post by a whole half hour. I'm bad at this.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 1, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

There must be a collection of them somewhere, but a quick google didn't land for me.

Literally the post immediately before yours.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
The Marvel Multiverses were being systematically destroyed? Isn't that literally the 80s DC Crisis plot? Or was the Marvel event some kind of wry commentary?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah it was the same idea.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Nah it was the same idea.

Excuse me, but in the DC Crisis, skies turned red when a universe was being destroyed while in Marvel's... huh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The big difference is that DC made a miniseries of the multiverse being destroyed, while the Marvel story took place in Avengers/New Avengers, and culminated with the entire multiverse being destroyed, including 616 and Ultimate. Doomworld was built from chunks of earths Doom glued together, while post-Crisis earth was the last few universes merging. Also Marvel made it immediately clear there was a new multiverse following Secret Wars and that everything on the micro level (i.e. character histories) was essentially the same, with differences only really appearing on a cosmic level. Post-Crisis DC intentionally made large, sweeping changes across the board, and avoided having a multiverse for 20 years.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Endless Mike posted:

The big difference is that DC made a miniseries of the multiverse being destroyed, while the Marvel story took place in Avengers/New Avengers, and culminated with the entire multiverse being destroyed, including 616 and Ultimate. Doomworld was built from chunks of earths Doom glued together, while post-Crisis earth was the last few universes merging. Also Marvel made it immediately clear there was a new multiverse following Secret Wars and that everything on the micro level (i.e. character histories) was essentially the same, with differences only really appearing on a cosmic level. Post-Crisis DC intentionally made large, sweeping changes across the board, and avoided having a multiverse for 20 years.

But, Hypertime.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's legitimately surprising Marvel isn't running an Infinity Crisis event in the lead-up to Avengers 3.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They are doing an infinity event

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toshimo posted:

But, Hypertime.
Hypertime is multiple timelines within a single universe, not multiple universes. TOTALLY different!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
When are they going to start making DOOM WAS RIGHT t-shirts?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

Hypertime is multiple timelines within a single universe, not multiple universes. TOTALLY different!

Would this be hyperspace then?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toshimo posted:

When are they going to start making DOOM WAS RIGHT t-shirts?
With the political climate being what it is this seems way less far-fetched than it would have two years ago.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Brian Michael Bendis has, though his entire career, included gags in police stations where people would be getting carted into jail and be someone dressed like a superhero or whatever. That's Bendis being carried away, and the women are in Ms. Martian costumes. Bleeding Cool (sigh) has a gallery of them. The Captain Universe panel is Jonathon Hickman.

Also, looking it up, the guys carrying him away are the artist and colorist of Defenders.

That gag made me glare at my comic once when it appeared, massively out of place in the story. Even as a fan of dadaist or nonsensical humor it just fell flat.

It was funny the first few times though!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Moon Knight #191

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I agree, concerned ghost.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Another good one from Doctor Aphra #16

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I feel like I could just post the entire comic (Kill Them All).

Context:

Our heroes (an ex-cop, a nerd cop, and a former assassin lady) are climbing a tower Die Hard style to beat an evil bad guy, and at the current floor they encounter a man with infinite ammo blocking their path.

I love this and its dumb as hell

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Seems about right

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doom Patrol/JLA: Milk Wars #1

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

I just love how the artist depicts Harry in this panel.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goddamn Namor been hitting the weights

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's what Steven Seagal sees when he looks into the mirror.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Swimming is an amazing workout, have you seen a photo of Michael Phelps?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Those shoulders are That torso is That upper body is hosed the gently caress up. No wonder he's screaming in agony.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

goatface posted:

Those shoulders are That torso is That upper body is hosed the gently caress up. No wonder he's screaming in agony.

There's at least 20% more pectoral muscle there than his pose should allow.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

all that bronzer polluting the waves as it washes off :o:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Don't you only get that sort of muscle definition when you're severely dehydrated? Namor's surrounded by water.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

He's surrounded by salt water. You can't drink that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You can totally drink salt water. It's just really dehydrating.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

You can totally drink salt water. It's just really dehydrating.

Full of fish poop too.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Looks more like he's been hitting that oil people have been injecting into their muscles.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ultra defined muscles are his secondary mutation

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Samuringa posted:

How does he explain the guy in speedos constantly showing up next to him?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Samuringa posted:

but enough about the orca

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

poly and open-minded posted:

but enough about the orca

Only ever has one expression, checks out

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ecavalli posted:

Full of fish poop too.

and why do you think it's so salty? Whales have to :gizz: somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Submariner! He's the king of all the sea!
Submariner! Conquers every enemy!
Submariner! swims around in his own pee!
Submariner!*

* Sung to the tune of "In the Navy"