Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Is there an active spreadsheet of server goons that needs updating?

Active goons: me
Inactive goons: everyone else

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For real, I'd probably come back if a bunch of inactive goons all came back to start gimmick alts together or something. Solo EQ is just something you can only keep up for so long, and none of the existing P99 guilds/communities ever really grabbed me.

Honestly EQ really is an MMO that offers a solid leveling experience, as opposed to the modern "moan and grunt through leveling until you reach endgame raiding which is the ~real~ game." I know a lot of people really want those pixels, but man... the most fun I honestly had with this game was leveling with goons in Unknown Guild back in 2013. EQ is a game where I can level to the 55-60 range, stop, and be wholly satisfied with my experience.

This is all from the perspective of a more casual oriented player though, so I know it's less likely to be a shared view on the game as a whole. I also just haven't really played much ultra endgame EQ, so I could actually be missing out on the experience of getting your character's epic, kitting out in full raid gear, etc. and all that jazz. v:shobon:v

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FayGate posted:

I've been pretty active, but I'm new so I'm poo poo at everything. IG is Kiyro

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

FayGate posted:

I’m very active on Red if that counts.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
Just started playing again the other day, currently a level 6 Shaman near Black Burrow. My name is Rolfwyn - hit me if you're down for a group or just bored.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I switched from druid to ranger, so now I've got a 17 ranger named Jascha. Will probably start leveling my druid, Siroc, once I get bored with the ranger.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Played from Kunark through planes, played SK and Bard, I remember waiting offline for my friends that I knew played to hook up a rez when I died so I didn't lose a weeks worth of xp when I died soloing. Any classes in demand on the server or is it just do what you want? I liked playing SK and being able to solo a bit, but with low pop, I don't want to be back losing a week of xp to rot.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Played from Kunark through planes, played SK and Bard, I remember waiting offline for my friends that I knew played to hook up a rez when I died so I didn't lose a weeks worth of xp when I died soloing. Any classes in demand on the server or is it just do what you want? I liked playing SK and being able to solo a bit, but with low pop, I don't want to be back losing a week of xp to rot.

Hey it's your victory lap, play what you want.
Server population is well over 1k during prime time, should be able to find folks and whoop it up.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Gimmick cleric reporting in.

I'll get on the invite train for Unknown Guild and keep Bertbert logged on tomorrow collecting tells. Today is pretty busy, but if you catch me AFK in the tunnel on Thursday, at least you'll have a communication channel on the blue server.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm reinstalling this lame rear end old game tbh

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Sounds like maybe we got the start of a decent low level group with two clerics to choose from and a possible SK tank. I got a lowbie Enchanter too btw.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

If a gimmick group is starting up, I'm willing to step in. Have a 20 warrior I can use, or would be willing to roll up something different. Would this be naked fresh or somewhat decked out?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I think it'd be fine to twink if you want, personally. My Ench has some gear already (nothing fancy though.)

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

I have hand-me-downs and banded armor for anyone who can use it. Gnomes are pretty rad, and one suggestion could be to roll around with gnomish fireworks in a pack.

Gonna be on around 10:30pm EST to toss out guild tags. I'll stay logged on tomorrow to hand out gear, ports, binds, etc

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Gonna be on around 10:30pm EST to toss out guild tags. I'll stay logged on tomorrow to hand out gear, ports, binds, etc

You... you are the chosen one. If I can remember, I'll login tonight and hand over lead to you.

Maybe I'll even play a little bit.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Do we need a tank? I've got a 20-something paladin and also want to make a troll warrior.

Oh god, is it really happening? The second coming of Unknown Guild? I don't want to get my hopes up but... :ohdear:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I... uhhh... man, that is incredibly tempting. I've got a mid-teens bard kicking around I could un-mothball here.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
I have the itch. Will be a brand new account because my old one seems to not exsist. I am pretty casual and will eventually fall behind the group in levelling so I am planning on rolling a Necro, but if needed I could be convinced to go as a Rogue.

I will post name later.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I'd love to join you guys but my self control only applies to playing or not playing...my attempts to play casually a few hours a week always end in failure, and I don't have time for that kind of failure atm.

That said, you should totally roll a tankless pet/charm squad.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
I have a level 9 bard and the main thing preventing me from playing is lack of goons.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
My ranger, Jascha, is up to 19 and I'm currently dinking around trying to get 20.

I've got a question: since this server will never progress to Luclin, and therefore will never have AAs, doesn't that make non-fatty SKs and warriors kind of crap, because they can never Slam with a 2H weapon? I love the look of dark elves in plate, but wonder if a dark elf SK is a bad idea since I would lack Slam.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Dick Burglar posted:

My ranger, Jascha, is up to 19 and I'm currently dinking around trying to get 20.

I've got a question: since this server will never progress to Luclin, and therefore will never have AAs, doesn't that make non-fatty SKs and warriors kind of crap, because they can never Slam with a 2H weapon? I love the look of dark elves in plate, but wonder if a dark elf SK is a bad idea since I would lack Slam.

From a very powergamey POV there are points in the game where you'd lack slam, yes, but you can bash while wielding the SK epic regardless of race.

The real powergamer's choice is ogre as you get frontal stun immunity - it can save your rear end if you're trying to FD while getting your poo poo beaten in by multiple mobs. Being able to cast other spells through bashes is handy as well though not nearly as game changing as that.

Trolls and Iksars have regen and Iksars also get AC bonuses and should eventually get the Greenmist as it's pre-luclin.

DE's get hide which isn't that great these days compared to previous versions of P99 when it still worked on a lot more mobs than invis.

Humans...uhh, they can start non-KOS in some good towns I guess.

But really, it doesn't matter. Pick whichever race you want.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 31, 2018

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm going to start this friday/weekend probably, with a brand new level 1 guy. I think my account got deactivated/pruned anyway. I'll likely make something that can solo a little, like a shaman, but I'll gladly join goons.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260
I’ve been kicking around Faydwer with Slobad, level 19 dwarven cleric. I can also smith banded :cheers:

Edit: I also just got my second deity neck slot so I can summon an infinite quantity of free beer!

Fyodorovich fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 1, 2018

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Warriors have disciplines like Evasive and Defensive stances that are big damage mitigators. Somewhere between levels 50 and 60, the kick skill also causes interrupts on hits. I made an Iksar years ago during the Kunark slog on p99 and got to 60 without plate gear and the slam skill. Race doesn't matter much.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Fyodorovich posted:

I’ve been kicking around Faydwer with Slobad, level 19 dwarven cleric. I can also smith banded :cheers:

Edit: I also just got my second deity neck slot so I can summon an infinite quantity of free beer!

How much does it cost to get your smithing up to make banded? I'm currently doing fletching on my ranger but the only trade skill I ever did back in OG EQ was brewing on my druid, because I was 14 and thought getting drunk in-game was the height of hilarity.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

From a very powergamey POV there are points in the game where you'd lack slam, yes, but you can bash while wielding the SK epic regardless of race.

The real powergamer's choice is ogre as you get frontal stun immunity - it can save your rear end if you're trying to FD while getting your poo poo beaten in by multiple mobs. Being able to cast other spells through bashes is handy as well though not nearly as game changing as that.

Trolls and Iksars have regen and Iksars also get AC bonuses and should eventually get the Greenmist as it's pre-luclin.

DE's get hide which isn't that great these days compared to previous versions of P99 when it still worked on a lot more mobs than invis.

Humans...uhh, they can start non-KOS in some good towns I guess.

But really, it doesn't matter. Pick whichever race you want.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: just got hooked up with a pair of awesome swords (a sword of skyfire and a green jade broadsword) and a turtleshell helm by a really nice druid named Pantsbandit. Man, so many people on this server are super nice. This is crazy.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 1, 2018

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

I probably spent like ~250p all-told to get to 125 with the first 20 points being trained at my GM, which is still below the trivial for a lot of pieces of banded. It was my first foray into tradeskills on EQ, in general, and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. At this point I’m probably not going to bother leveling it more until I can make money a lot more efficiently, and even then it would just be for “fun.” Leveling to 165 would be doable for another 100p or so.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Woof. I don't even have 200 plat to my name, so I guess I'll leave trade skills for later.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

I handed off lead to Mauzer. I told him to give it to you if he decides to take a break.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Dick Burglar posted:

Woof. I don't even have 200 plat to my name, so I guess I'll leave trade skills for later.

Tradeskills can be a major money sink.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

I left Bertbert AFK in the EC tunnel. Leave me a tell and I'll try to get invites out as able later tonight.

If anyone was thinking about starting a tank, I'll throw my vote in for a Prexus/Quellious-worshipping Erudite Paladin. Before this idea gets mocked, I'll add that I'm sitting on a half dozen cultural smithing mats that will make you the envy of twinks everywhere.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Cultural_Tradeskills:_Erudite

Pillow Armadillo fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 1, 2018

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Tradeskills can be a major money sink.

Tradeskills are definitely major money and time sinks, especially the ones that provide better gear (smithing, jewelcraft, tailoring, fletching) or effects (alchemy, tinkering, poison making). Many of the higher trivial recipes require rare or difficult drops, or expensive merchant stuff.

Also if you do decide to go into any tradeskill, it's highly recommended that you boost your INT or WIS for skilling up, as well as your CHA for keeping merchant prices low. I'm not sure if secondary attributes currently affect tradeskills (STR for blacksmithing, DEX for fletching and poison making).

If there's something you want made, it's usually cheap to buy it outright than to attain the skill to make it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I definitely wouldn't mind playing a five-head melee tank, tbh. The rad threads are just a bonus.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

please knock Mom! posted:

I definitely wouldn't mind playing a five-head melee tank, tbh. The rad threads are just a bonus.

I think there’s a quested breastplate in your hometown, too. Level 13-14ish iirc. You have to kill one of the sharks in the dock for the turn-in. It’s blue, too!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don't think I've ever played an Erudite as anything other than a joke, but now I kind of want to do it

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

please knock Mom! posted:

I don't think I've ever played an Erudite as anything other than a joke, but now I kind of want to do it

Glad someone is taking the hit. :v:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
70 starting strength and agi, jesus christ now I remember why I never did this.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Check out the Warrens as a potential levelling spot. That zone rules.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
My first quest is to kill a few rats without dying tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
Started my dark elf necro last night name Loopin. 4 deaths in the first 4 levels. For some reason I thought that low level mobs didn't have social aggro. Spiders taught me a lesson real quick.