Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
lol gently caress you paypal

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-31/ebay-to-ditch-paypal-for-dutch-processor-adyen-lowering-costs

quote:

EBay Inc. will shift its payments business from long-time partner PayPal Holdings Inc. to Adyen BV, a global payments company based in the Netherlands, further distancing the companies that split in 2015 but remained intertwined through an agreement that fully expires in 2020.

Shares of PayPal fell after the news, dropping as much as 15 percent in extended trading.

PayPal will remain a checkout option for EBay shoppers at least until July 2023, EBay said in a statement. Adyen will gradually take over processing EBay payments, beginning in North America this year and will handle a majority of transactions in 2021. PayPal is currently EBay’s payments processor, meaning merchants selling on the marketplace have to have PayPal accounts to accept funds.

EBay said the shift will result in lower payment processing costs for merchants selling on the platform and greater options for buyers. Adyen accepts payments in 150 currencies. PayPal could see a big blow to its total payments volume. Shoppers purchased $24.4 billion in goods on EBay properties in the final quarter of 2017.

Analysts had largely expected the agreement to continue, and there will be concerns about total payment volume going forward despite EBay becoming a smaller portion of that number over the past few quarters. PayPal hasn’t provided analysts with much color on the impact yet.

"EBay’s decision to reduce PayPal’s prominence represents a major setback for PayPal," said Gil Luria, an analyst at D.A. Davidson & Co. "Although the share of revenue from EBay has diminished over the years, the share of profit is far more substantial due to the terms of the spinoff. Furthermore, the possible deal to add Adyen more prominently helps propel Adyen to a much more meaningful competitive position."

The announcement surprised some investors, who expected the companies to announce an extension to their operating agreement. PayPal has played an integral role in processing payments on EBay for 15 years and offers credit products that help EBay shoppers buy more goods.

“The planned evolution of our relationship with EBay is consistent with our strategic direction and growth opportunities and does not alter our financial guidance,” PayPal spokeswoman Amanda Miller said.

PayPal separated from EBay in 2015 to concentrate on expanding its electronic transactions business without being shackled to the slow-growing online marketplace. The separation included an agreement that EBay would continue to use PayPal to process payments on the site. EBay purchased PayPal in 2002 and phased out its own competing payments service at the time.

PayPal said total payment volume rose in the fourth quarter as active customer accounts hit 227 million. Earnings excluding some costs were 55 cents a share, compared with the average forecast for 52 cents.

EBay gave an optimistic revenue forecast for the current quarter, boosting investor confidence in the company’s efforts to generate more traffic on the site when customers have abundant ways to shop on the web.

Gross merchandise volume, a key metric of the value of goods sold on the site, rose 10 percent to $24.4 billion in the fourth quarter, the company said Wednesday, as the number of active buyers on the platform increased. Double-digit growth was a big milestone for CEO Devin Wenig, who has been working on a turnaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
who buys things from ebay

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Suspicious Dish posted:

boomers

also cue in extreme ham or parts for old 1958 charger or retro-turntable parts or old legos or something else enthusiast

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

flakeloaf posted:

yow<=>ytz is not and porter only wants like, $30 more to make the same trip in an hour

granted, airport misery is way more miserable than trainport misery, but still

Lol look at this guy using three letter airport codes..

Trap sprung?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
ebay is still the best place to get any cheap-and-disposable poo poo if you don't live in america (no amazon)

Good stuff I've bought on ebay:

- cheap singlespeed crankset (30 AUD and it works a treat)
- slick looking LED motorcycle lights

Bad stuff I've bought on ebay:
- literally the worst windshield wipers of all time

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

idk man this sounds rather like ebay's gonna come crawling back to paypal

or ebay will finally collapse once amazon finds a way to handle one off sales in a proper way

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
ebay is great for getting weird odds and ends and old stuff cheaply

this being yospos, i imagine lots of posters are buying weird old stuff

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My friend buys tons of lightly used designer label stuff in ebay for cheap. There's stores on there that specialize in resaling nice poo poo rich people buy to wear for a single occasion. Ebay isn't just the place where you auction your pokémon cards like you might be remembering anymore.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i buy a lot of random motorcycle parts on ebay, because there's nowhere else you can go "yeah I need the passenger pegs from a 1992-1997 VFR750" and have any luck

also used tools -- lots of good things there

strange russian electronic devices

most recently a digital piano

basically, it's great for weird odds and ends that you can't find just anywhere and where it doesn't matter if they're used

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
most of EBay is just alibaba resellers nowadays

and many of them will mark goods as “used” so you can’t filter them out lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

paypal was the one driving that show since forever and the breakup with ebay was way way waaay overdue

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've purchased like 1 or 2 things on eBay and sold tons of stuff

thats my eBay story

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
does ebay still take like 35% cut of the sale? because lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Suspicious Dish posted:

literally everything that's either old or cheap and chinese comes from ebay

it's also where i sell everything old

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xaris posted:

does ebay still take like 35% cut of the sale? because lol

no?

ebay store owners pay 8.75% of value up to $50, 4% of value $50.01 to $1,000.00 and 2% of the value over $1000

everyone else, well:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cheque_some posted:

this being yospos, i imagine lots of posters are buying weird old stuff

classic Mac and workstation hardware isn’t weird

:colbert:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I bought some mx revolutions + parts off ebay.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

did you ever get that working?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

i do, it's an easy way to get weird chinese poo poo and dangerous chemicals and metallic natural uranium

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt/status/958731609041092609

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

must be comfortable with modeling but NO FAGS!!!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i may be a hard partying ai researcher/business administrator with low moral standards who works for college recommendation letters, but im afraid i must pass, bc modeling work is for pussies

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Suspicious Dish posted:

sometimes it's the cheapest source for a printer tray

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also former star trek art designer Rick Sternbach uses it to sell off poo poo, including photocopies of old production memos from TNG and Voyager

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eschaton posted:

did you ever get that working?

Not yet, but I'm chugging away at it.

There's pretty good documentation but it's all in russian so that slows me down

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ebay was a good source for chinese kung fu movies in the early 00s

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

i buy a lot of random motorcycle parts on ebay, because there's nowhere else you can go "yeah I need the passenger pegs from a 1992-1997 VFR750" and have any luck

also used tools -- lots of good things there

most recently a digital piano

basically, it's great for weird odds and ends that you can't find just anywhere and where it doesn't matter if they're used

same. it’s a drat handy place to find oddball stuff for my old kz.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i may be a hard partying ai researcher/business administrator with low moral standards who works for college recommendation letters, but im afraid i must pass, bc modeling work is for pussies

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

yeah, ebay is great for old or oddball things

even large organizations like nasa and at&t use ebay to buy parts and equipment to keep legacy systems running

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol thiel

https://twitter.com/larsthewanderer/status/958929648833851392

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
thiel is such an rear end in a top hat and I think he would be a hilarious like daca-ice deportation case

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
watching conservatarians insist that the high-tax, high-regulation state with the gun control and labor protections and Democrats running the entire show simply must be an economic disaster zone in spite of all evidence is never not funny

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i really hope he gets cryonically frozen when he dies from a blood clot due to vampirism and then have it somehow actually work and he wakes up in the far future to see a bunch of strange mixed-race people speaking a language he can't understand that kinda-sorta sounds like english and all his money is worthless and what few skills he has aren't at all useful because he's basically the equivalent of a trebuchet mechanic

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cis autodrag posted:

My friend buys tons of lightly used designer label stuff in ebay for cheap. There's stores on there that specialize in resaling nice poo poo rich people buy to wear for a single occasion. Ebay isn't just the place where you auction your pokémon cards like you might be remembering anymore.

yeah i buy my 'expensive' shoes and clothes on there. some old rich dude buys a pair of $400 mephisto shoes and wears them once and sells them on ebay for $40

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also you can buy this on there

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-Flying-Ball-Infrared-Induction-Colorful-LED-Disco-RC-Helicopter-Toy-New-TH/142646104162

it's about $3 US and you turn it on and it just starts wildly flying around the room and blinking and slicing people's faces with its blades

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

big Clive did a review a bit back of you are interested in party murder ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZ0uCuZhDU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

big Clive did a review a bit back of you are interested in party murder ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZ0uCuZhDU

yeah that's where i found out about it too :3:

also i just noticed you can buy a 10-pack of them which obviously i instantly bought so i can release a whole swarm at once

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao the first fuckin town you get into when you cross the bridge is fremont. :wtc:

fremont, livermore, pleasanton... truly the 21st century rust belt...

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Thread title contender

article here: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/31/apples-steve-wozniak-doesnt-believe-anything-elon-musk-or-tesla-say.html

quote:

Billionaire tech entrepreneur Elon Musk has a lot of fans. But he's lost the trust of one famous former admirer: Steve Wozniak.

Apple co-founder Wozniak, affectionately referred to as "the Woz," told an audience at the Nordic Business Forum in Sweden on January 24 he has stopped believing what Musk or Tesla promises.

"Now, I don't believe anything Elon Musk or Tesla says," Wozniak says.

That doesn't mean he doesn't love his Tesla, though.

"But I still love the car, it's still beautiful," Wozniak added.

Wozniak cited several promises Tesla has made that he believes have not been kept.

"They came out with some sensors that Elon Musk said would [allow the car to] drive itself across the country to where you were by the end of 2016 ... Oh, I had to have that!" he says.

"[T]hen they discovered those sensors would never drive across the country, so they got rid of their sensor company. They put in new sensors — instead of one camera, eight cameras — and that one will drive itself across the country by 2017. I believed that stuff," says Wozniak.

Indeed, in October of 2016, Musk announced a significant upgrade to the hardware for self-driving capability.

In addition, Wozniak criticized the quality of the autopilot feature, saying it was incapable of responding to inconsistencies in the road and that the car still requires significant attention on the part of the driver.
Man you have got to be ready — it makes mistakes, it loses track of the lane lines. You have to be on your toes all the time," says Wozniak. "All Tesla did is say, 'It is beta so we are not responsible. It doesn't necessarily work, so you have to be in control.'

"Well you that is kinda a cheap way out of it."

Tesla had not responded to CNBC Make It by the time this story was published, but in 2016, when Tesla announced the upgraded autopilot technology, Musk said calling the system "autopilot" even though it requires some monitoring is fair because, "It does not represent self-driving anymore than autopilot in an aircraft makes it self-flying."

"I will tell you, that car does so little," says Wozniak. "Everything I read told me every other car manufacturer in the world — the Audi's the BMW and all — were actually ahead of Tesla for self driving cars." Instead, other car companies are ahead of Tesla when it comes to self-driving, according to Wozniak.

In December, Musk asked Tesla drivers for feedback, and in the course of the exchange, he said the second version of autopilot is "going through exhaustive testing" and apologized for the delay.

Sorry for the delay. We have the most advanced AI neural net of any consumer product by far, so it's going through exhaustive testing. The results are blowing me away though and I think you will have a similar experience.
The eventual update, when it comes, may be too little too late for Musk to win back The Woz. Wozniak says he already prefers the Chevy Volt with one exception: Long drives. Tesla has more battery charging stations, he says, making such journeys in the Chevy Volt challenging.

"We always drive the Chevy Volt EV instead of the Tesla every day," says Wozniak, "except for long road trips."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PyPy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cat Face Joe posted:

mighty gently caress just build a goddamn TRAIN

https://twitter.com/RAILMag/status/941425306505793538

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/941380553072185344