Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EVIL Gibson posted:

You can't deny it! They make sure to gather all this information and make sure no one accesses it

If we don't have all the information, how can we be sure we're protecting it?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

Am I missing an option or can't you turn off 2FA with SMS codes in Facebook? I set Authenticator Plus up and wanted to use only it, but it seems like I have to keep both, so what's even the point?

poo poo, most banks won't let you turn off SMS codes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inept posted:

poo poo, most banks won't let you turn off SMS codes.

My bank doesn't even have 2FA, they claim it's not necessary (lol)

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/958492079994191874

I think that it may be streamed.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
E: double post

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CLAM DOWN posted:

My bank calls occasionally asking publicly available information 2fa.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hell yeah you are!!!

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

RFC2324 posted:

My bank calls occasionally asking publicly available information 2fa.

Same. Someone performing a social engineering attack would know that information better than I do. I forget what I had for breakfast much less financial details going back a few years.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Evis posted:

Same. Someone performing a social engineering attack would know that information better than I do. I forget what I had for breakfast much less financial details going back a few years.

My favorites(that aren't public record) is favorite pet or favorite teacher... that changes based on my mood lately.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Favourite pet is probably public record for many people. Favourite teacher less so.

Edit: https://twitter.com/rgov/status/958143953974341638

Evis fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 1, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

My favorites(that aren't public record) is favorite pet or favorite teacher... that changes based on my mood lately.

I always put bullshit answers in then document them in keepass. Favorite Relative: Le Beef Supreme First Pet: Xretus Destroyer of Worlds Hobby: Masturbation Deluxe Phone Password: Kinky Threesome

More than once the customer service rep has asked me for my password with an audible cringe, it's great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Same, kinda. I generate random strings as answers to security questions and save them in the KeePass notes field.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The answer to my security question is "it's just a whole bunch of numbers and letters"

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jabor posted:

The answer to my security question is "it's just a whole bunch of numbers and letters"

That was literally what I said over the phone to a financial organization CSR, which was sufficient to pass the authentication. Proving 2 things: they store them plain-text, and static KBA is more security theater than the TSA's nut grabs.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

B-Nasty posted:

That was literally what I said over the phone to a financial organization CSR, which was sufficient to pass the authentication. Proving 2 things: they store them plain-text, and static KBA is more security theater than the TSA's nut grabs.

I always get the executive pat-down after that whole 'lol, hot girl in line, better save those body pics' scandal, and it's fun to shoot the poo poo with the poor TSA guy while he does his thing. If they actually say the whole preamble without loving up I fill out a positive comment card, the poor guys deserve a break between fussy moms and the MUH RADIATION idiots.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Evis posted:

Favourite pet is probably public record for many people. Favourite teacher less so.

Edit: https://twitter.com/rgov/status/958143953974341638

stop doxxing my password to every platform :argh:

also, gently caress you

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I know this was discussed recently, but I don't think any actual answer was come to.

What is the safe(won't infest the poo poo out of your computer on its own) bittorrent client for windows right now?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I know this was discussed recently, but I don't think any actual answer was come to.

What is the safe(won't infest the poo poo out of your computer on its own) bittorrent client for windows right now?

qBittorrent

mewse
May 2, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

qBittorrent

2nding, seems like spiritual successor of utorrent

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks. I'll spin it up tomorrow. Got linux isos to download after windows insider hosed up.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's hosted on Sourceforge though?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CLAM DOWN posted:

qBittorrent

Thirding this recommendation.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

The standard login for my bank's website is your social security number.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

stevewm posted:

The standard login for my bank's website is your social security number.

I didn't realize everyone knew CLAM DOWN's social security number!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I didn't realize everyone knew CLAM DOWN's social security number!

Ha!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
For things that aren't hypercritical, I usually answer security questions as a fictional character. Makes it easier to remember, since I am REAL HUMAN BEAN, and my favorite whatever is subject to change.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Evis posted:

I recently setup a RSA SecurID 2FA system. When you created an account on the user side it wants you to set security questions. It had a selection of questions you could choose from, and those few questions that seemed any good I couldn't remember the answer for.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

AlternateAccount posted:

For things that aren't hypercritical, I usually answer security questions as a fictional character. Makes it easier to remember, since I am REAL HUMAN BEAN, and my favorite whatever is subject to change.

Hey, that's a good idea. What character do you use?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Had a phone rep ask me my security question of "Who is the man that would risk his neck for his brother, man?" My correct answer of "Shaft" didn't get a reply of "You're drat right"

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

anthonypants posted:

It's hosted on Sourceforge though?

Sourceforge is good again, or at least not intentionally evil.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EssOEss posted:

Sourceforge is good again, or at least not intentionally evil.

I actively avoid, if at all possible, using libraries whose repos and community are based at sourceforge.

If they've remained on SF through all the poo poo (and remain on a website that works and looks like its from 2005) It's just a signal to me that the maintainers don't give a crap...particularly when it's so easy to switch to github or bitbucket or whatever.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I actively avoid, if at all possible, using libraries whose repos and community are based at sourceforge.

If they've remained on SF through all the poo poo (and remain on a website that works and looks like its from 2005) It's just a signal to me that the maintainers don't give a crap...particularly when it's so easy to switch to github or bitbucket or whatever.

Whatever you want to think dude, but qBittorrent is objectively the client to use these days.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I still use deluge :( Am I the old man in the room who refuses to change his ways?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I use Deluge too. :shobon:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Whatever you want to think dude, but qBittorrent is objectively the client to use these days.

I wasn't disputing that?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I still use deluge :( Am I the old man in the room who refuses to change his ways?

I still use the ancient version of utorrent before they stuffed it full of ads. 2.2.0 or something?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I used that old version of utorrent for years but it made me pretty uncomfortable using software that would never receive security patches, advertised itself on trackers, and punched a hole through my NAT to communicate directly with whoever contacted it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Another deluge user here.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, thought you were the other guy who threw out Sourceforge as a negative of qbittorrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sorry, thought you were the other guy who threw out Sourceforge as a negative of qbittorrent.

SF's track record is inexcusable. Just use Deluge.