Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

its enclosed with red Xs and its about 11 blocks from my main platform and 45 blocks up

That's actually too far away:

What I do is make a mob tower right next to where I spend most of my time and put it 24 blocks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
FML

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's actually too far away:

What I do is make a mob tower right next to where I spend most of my time and put it 24 blocks up.

Alright, guess I was wrong.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ok what the gently caress am I doing wrong here? Is it the interior size of the thing up at the top? it is 5x5x3 open space completely enclosed except for a hole for monsters to fall down.

Monsters spawned on my little main platform while I was building it soo I know monsters can spawn somewhere.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Ok what the gently caress am I doing wrong here? Is it the interior size of the thing up at the top? it is 5x5x3 open space completely enclosed except for a hole for monsters to fall down.

Monsters spawned on my little main platform while I was building it soo I know monsters can spawn somewhere.

That spawn chamber is way the heck too small. Try something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEwpogQG4I

I like to augment this by putting trapdoors above the water channel. When they're open and allowing things to fall through, the mob AI will interpret the trapdoor as a block they can walk on, so they'll path onto it more often. I also like to make the ceiling 2 high, and put down half slabs so there are no 2x2 areas for spiders to spawn.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
It could be a bunch of things. The spawning room isn't that big, so it may just take a while for mobs to spawn there. Then, they have to randomly walk over the hole to fall, which if it's a 1x1 like it looks like could also take a while. Finally, if you have any 3x3x2 open spaces in there, a spider could spawn and block things up completely even if the hole is 2x2. Have you climbed back up to the spawning room to see if anything's spawned but not fallen?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How tall is it? If it's not at least 24 blocks away from you, the player, nothing will spawn there. If it's more than 32 blocks away, monsters will not move, and so will never fall in your hole. It's an extremely narrow band. Vertical distance absolutely affects this.

Do you have an open trap door at the top of the hole? Monsters don't generally fall off cliffs unless something pushes them. Open trap doors to confuse their AI into thinking there's a space for them to walk on, so they will wander into the pit that way.

Is it full of spiders? Spiders are 2x2 and can plug up the droppin' hole.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That spawn chamber is way the heck too small. Try something like this:

thank you I built this and it started working immediately

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I tend to avoid water drops because you don't get endermen spawning in it. There was a good design some time back about a modular trapdoor-only drop spawner, but that doesn't work with spiders. If you have a pack with conveyors, some versions allow mobs to spawn on those, but even then it's possible for mobs to get stuck. I'm still struggling for the perfect design.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
How far can a mob drop tower NOT kill a mob with the drop? If I wanted to use diamond spikes or whatever to get player-drops.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I tend to avoid water drops because you don't get endermen spawning in it. There was a good design some time back about a modular trapdoor-only drop spawner, but that doesn't work with spiders. If you have a pack with conveyors, some versions allow mobs to spawn on those, but even then it's possible for mobs to get stuck. I'm still struggling for the perfect design.

Yeah, the Vector Plates from Dark Utilities (iirc) allow mobs to spawn on them. I usually don't bother with a trap that can spawn spiders or endermen until I can mass produce vector plates and have diamond spikes or something.

Devor posted:

How far can a mob drop tower NOT kill a mob with the drop? If I wanted to use diamond spikes or whatever to get player-drops.

It depends on the mob. What you can do is go up about five blocks or so, and put signs in a ring inside the drop tube, then put water on top of the signs. The signs prevent the water from filling the rest of the tube, and any mob that passes through the water has its fall damage cancelled.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It depends on the mob. What you can do is go up about five blocks or so, and put signs in a ring inside the drop tube, then put water on top of the signs. The signs prevent the water from filling the rest of the tube, and any mob that passes through the water has its fall damage cancelled.

Note that if your farm spawns endermen, this water layer will make them teleport around.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Fenrisulfr posted:

Note that if your farm spawns endermen, this water layer will make them teleport around.

Which is why you then put an Ender Tether from Dark Utilities at the base of the mob drop area.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If if you were only going to use one "spaceship mod", which would you folks use: Futurepack or Advanced Rocketry? Asking for a friend.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Futurepack isn't exactly a 'spaceship mod' It's a full-featured tech mod that has 'space' travel at the end of its tech tree. Very simple dimensional teleport, really. Advanced Rocketry has actual rocket building and space stations and poo poo.

VVV

AR would be the better if it actually worked, but...

Also the Galacticraft devs seem very strongly against putting their mod on curseforge, stating it's 'a simple google search' to find their mod download and that's good enough.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 2, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, since I'm looking mainly for rocket building and space stations and poo poo, I'll go with AR. Thanks.

e: and now Galacticraft just came out for 1.12.2, so now I guess it's a question of AR versus GC.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 2, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

how does one embed a gfycat webm into the forums?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, since I'm looking mainly for rocket building and space stations and poo poo, I'll go with AR. Thanks.

e: and now Galacticraft just came out for 1.12.2, so now I guess it's a question of AR versus GC.

<record screech>

What now?

I guess I have something to do now.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
..Galacticraft 4 sounds pretty awesome, actually.

https://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Galacticraft_4

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
For MSB3, how do I get string? Or, alternate question, how do I make an early mobfarm that will spawn spiders?

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
If you have grass, use bonemeal and break grass for flax or hemp seeds. Otherwise, make a darkroom 24 blocks away from where you spend most of your time, make sure its inner dimensions are at least 3x3x2 and wait.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I just build a gravity dropper and have a 1x1 hole I can poke into and stab through. Eventually I'll need to up my game but this works for now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

..Galacticraft 4 sounds pretty awesome, actually.

https://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Galacticraft_4
From what I've heard, it's also less dependent on strings of multiblocks than AR.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

From what I've heard, it's also less dependent on strings of multiblocks than AR.

That's because it has no multiblocks, unless you consider a 3x3 launch pad a multiblock.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The real (non-test) Progress server will start tomorrow at 12PM CST (about 10 hours from the time of this post). I'm making a PGS thread so it won't get spammed here, just letting any interested peeps know.

Dynmap of the world: http://136.33.144.178:8123/?worldname=Biome%20Bundle&mapname=flat

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

any idea why MSB3 causes enormous CPU spikes every ten seconds, rendering the game an unplayable slideshow?

mipmapping's off and the pack's got like 6GB ram, as suggested. is it a particular mod that might be doing this, or is it just the modpack as a whole is a bloated shitshow?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

any idea why MSB3 causes enormous CPU spikes every ten seconds, rendering the game an unplayable slideshow?

mipmapping's off and the pack's got like 6GB ram, as suggested. is it a particular mod that might be doing this, or is it just the modpack as a whole is a bloated shitshow?

Go into the video settings inside minecraft and turn mipmaps off. There's a problem with it in 1.12 that just eats performance.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have already disabled mipmaps, while you slept

i removed the Fence Overhaul mod on a hunch and it seems to have done the trick; game now runs fine

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Progress is up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3848234

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i have already disabled mipmaps, while you slept

i removed the Fence Overhaul mod on a hunch and it seems to have done the trick; game now runs fine

Thanks for this, worked for me too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I decided to try Modern Skyblock 3, and holy crap the addition of loot bags makes things so much better.

I've actually managed to get four redstone, three gold bars, and an ender pearl before I've even finished the basic resources quest tier. Is there anything useful I can make with those to give me a leg up? I was thinking of at least making a dropper to keep from having to constantly break the stone combustion multiblock.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I got a pair of diamonds I immediately turned into a builders wand and a Fortune 3 sword in the opening half hour. My life was so good.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I've found a diamond sword with Smite IV and almost a full set of diamond armour.

What's the best way to automate the combustion heater early game?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MaliciousOnion posted:

I've found a diamond sword with Smite IV and almost a full set of diamond armour.

Redstone clock and combustion collector. The ones that use furnace fuel can just accept a stack of charcoal/other burnable and it'll intelligently use the fuel. You do consume more HU when it's full, though.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I decided to try Modern Skyblock 3, and holy crap the addition of loot bags makes things so much better.

It was even nicer before they fixed the Bag Storage dupe bug :v:. But yeah there's some huge QoL things in them, like a ton of Reliquary stuff that lets you make/find a bunch of QoL stuff like unbreakable and AoE shears or the magnet coin.

MaliciousOnion posted:

The Staged and Gated modes lock the combustion collector behind the first automation stage, so until then I like to use an Iron Dropper + Redstone Clock. The dropper shoots items out way faster than the vanilla one, and lets you set a delay on picking up the dropped items so that you can stand in the corner of your heater and pick up the results without picking up too many of the catalysts, at least as far as simpler recipes like dirt goes.

Also a tip for people who are dumb like me and assume no alloy furnace means no alloys, once you can make or find gold and silver, grind them up to make electrum for the casing on your heater. It's good for the collector too, but the casing lets you make glowstone without the absurd efficiency loss of the nether brick casing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Was the crucible inserter removed from MSB3? It's still listed in the in-game guide, but it's not in JEI or anything.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Was the crucible inserter removed from MSB3? It's still listed in the in-game guide, but it's not in JEI or anything.

No, if you haven't reached a stage yet the items in that stage aren't visible in JEI searches. You can still chain into the recipe by doing a "made with" lookup on something made with an item that's locked, or a "this makes" lookup on a crafting component, but otherwise it's like they don't exist. This confused the hell out of me at first too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah, thanks. The way this pack handles items you can't use yet is annoying, especially when they spawn into your hand and get dropped immediately.

As as aside, I went to check out a video to see if I could get some guidance on how to use the porcelin tinker replacement things, and it's kinda depressing to see someone who only has a tree and a cobblegen put together an attractive, well-organized base while I'm at the tail end of the first two tiers sitting here in a slowly expanding flat plane.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, thanks. The way this pack handles items you can't use yet is annoying, especially when they spawn into your hand and get dropped immediately.

As as aside, I went to check out a video to see if I could get some guidance on how to use the porcelin tinker replacement things, and it's kinda depressing to see someone who only has a tree and a cobblegen put together an attractive, well-organized base while I'm at the tail end of the first two tiers sitting here in a slowly expanding flat plane.

There is something other than the expanding flat plane in a skyblock? wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

There is something other than the expanding flat plane in a skyblock? wow.

loving skyblock base design is my worst thing. I at best have several stacked planes.