Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

my bitter bi rival posted:

lmao the first fuckin town you get into when you cross the bridge is fremont. :wtc:

fremont, livermore, pleasanton... truly the 21st century rust belt...

well when you live in SF/Malibu...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

eternal reminder that thiel richly deserves public execution

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/816021413794443264

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
part of that rider is probably like some integrated auto-agreement NDA about the rider

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah that's where i found out about it too :3:

also i just noticed you can buy a 10-pack of them which obviously i instantly bought so i can release a whole swarm at once

yeah it'd be pretty sweet to release a swarm of these at an outdoor festival shame about the whole eye chopping part

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ayup

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

noted technofetishist is a credulous rube? the hell you say!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

noted technofetishist is a credulous rube? the hell you say!

Wait, what?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, woz literally actually has brain damage from the plane crash

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
man rich enough to make a dozen prostitutes disappear with no trace is worried about serial killers, hmmmm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

the woz, the man who carries around multiple android phones and unironically plays segway polo, believed a guy who said he could make a car drive across the country with a webcam in five years, twice

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

the woz, the man who carries around multiple android phones and unironically plays segway polo, believed a guy who said he could make a car drive across the country with a webcam in five years, twice

It seems like driving across the country twice in 5 years isn't really that impressive?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/959106773314654208

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

It seems like driving across the country twice in 5 years isn't really that impressive?

yes, now, because after the second time he dropped $100k on a car that was going to magically drive itself, he believes he's learned his lesson.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

right he’s saying Elon fooled him twice so he doesn’t believe anything Elon says anymore

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you've managed to spend multiples of the average american's yearly salary on magic beans, more than once, you might be a loving idiot.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

if you've managed to spend multiples of the average american's yearly salary on magic beans, more than once, you might be a loving idiot.

it's just not nice to call people idiots for having bad brains because they crashed their plane and hit their head

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it's just not nice to call people idiots for having bad brains because they crashed their plane and hit their head

yeah, that's unfair. i didn't know he had legit brain damage from that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

what? musk said the car would drive itself across the country, twice

of course the car cannot do that, because it doesn't have a magical driving ai, and its sensors are one or eight lovely cameras

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah, that's unfair. i didn't know he had legit brain damage from that

but what’s everyone else’s excuse for buying Tesla’s and androids?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

of course the car cannot do that, because it doesn't have a magical driving ai, and its sensors are one or eight lovely cameras

I mean, Google Maps quotes 41 hours to drive from NY to LA, so you could do it in substantially less than a week if you were willing to trade off driving with one or more people, or drive for long periods of time at a stretch?

And webcams don't really weigh much anymore so loading isn't a factor either.

Actually, here's a couple cars with webcams driving coast-to-coast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLN8nW3hp0c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfeLIMgShuo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i like your gimmick, it's legitimately hard to tell if you're mentally challenged or making a joke in any given post

hobbesmaster posted:

but what’s everyone else’s excuse for buying Tesla’s and androids?

i assume much like the nfl, brain damage is widespread and under reported

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Amazon patent to track how many times you jack it on the job:

Link

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i like your gimmick, it's legitimately hard to tell if you're mentally challenged or making a joke in any given post

lol always bet on severe autism in yospos

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

woosh, i think

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Link

insert bracelet into paint agitator, dominate performance leaderboards, set off every RSI alarm in the system

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Link
this is the worst

I guess trying to turn humans into robots is cheaper than making actual robots though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rjmccall posted:

woosh, i think

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol always bet on severe autism in yospos

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

insert bracelet into paint agitator, dominate performance leaderboards, set off every RSI alarm in the system

frequent poundoff breaks in the warehouse bathrooms will more than pay for themselves

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

i assume much like the nfl, brain damage is widespread and under reported

:woop:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you're not getting it, it's not just an accelerometer, it tracks the position of the employees hand in realtime to "prevent errors in shelving or picking" and I'm sure it certainly won't be used to grind out that last 0.5% of "slack" that the poor people who staff their warehouses currently enjoy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

I guess trying to turn humans into robots is cheaper than making actual robots though
i think its building a training set to program the robots that will replace the human shelfpicker

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
driving cross country wouldn't be particularly impressive. time your trip to avoid rush hours on either extreme end of i-80 and it'd be pretty smooth sailing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, you could do cool haptic poo poo with that, like it vibrates less as you get closer to the object? But, it being designed for a fulfillment warehouse, it'll be used for evil*.

*Fulfillment warehouses have sucked since Sears.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fishmech posted:

driving cross country wouldn't be particularly impressive. time your trip to avoid rush hours on either extreme end of i-80 and it'd be pretty smooth sailing

Exactly. I always wanted to drive Route 66 with my dad, he's a big fan of that Americana bullshit.

:smith:

But being all :smuggo: I drove coast-to-coast twice over the course of 5 years :smuggo: seems a little strange?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

How the gently caress isn't it most cost-effective to have a robot arm do that poo poo if you're planning on running a sensor array for every single bin

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
woz is part of the era of bay area hippies that were kind of frustrated with the failures of their political projects and saw computers as some new one (whole earth catalog type stuff), and he seems to have a lot of the trusting optimism a lot of those guys had

woz is also probably the most successful one of those guys because he partnered with jobs, the other archetype of the bay area hippie -- the hyper-capitalist that kept the lifestyle bits of hippie-ism, who commercialized his product

it was fun to go to a reunion with a bunch of these guys and the modern techies and have them realize that a bunch of their heros, who they had never really looked into all that deeply, were actually mostly just burnt out hippies who's ideas never really went anywhere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Xanadu for example), and not super capitalist min-maxing tech-lords like them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

How the gently caress isn't it most cost-effective to have a robot arm do that poo poo if you're planning on running a sensor array for every single bin

robots are terrible with irregularly sized objects. you can have them fetch the bins though

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Since practically everything is in plastic packaging then grab it with a suction hose and drag it down in to a collection hopper and then another one can suck Bezos off or whatever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

on the subject of magic cars and their inability to drive cross country

california wants stats on how frequently you intervene during testing, companies testing vehicle get creative with definitions to avoid presenting accurate data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

on the subject of magic cars and their inability to drive cross country

california wants stats on how frequently you intervene during testing, companies testing vehicle get creative with definitions to avoid presenting accurate data

Why would someone want to have a computer drive for them? Wouldn't that be intensely stressful for the passengers?