Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So your argument about not buying a low horsepower car is that you got held up in traffic in your ~200hp car.

Pull into the pits if you want the space. Run with groups that don't try to cram 40 cars on a 2 mile long circuit. Realize that you're not doing w2w and focus on individual corners that need work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

You'll see me get held up a number of times in the video I posted above -- that was DE3.
The other org around here is much worse and I run the highest street car group.

Diff cars and diff regions, just my experience vs yours :)

Who's the other org besides NASA? I really was serious about looking to move that way.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
ProAutosports, avoid at all costs. :)
Speedventures is good, but only comes as far west as Chuckwalla.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Phone posted:

So your argument about not buying a low horsepower car is that you got held up in traffic in your ~200hp car.

Pull into the pits if you want the space. Run with groups that don't try to cram 40 cars on a 2 mile long circuit. Realize that you're not doing w2w and focus on individual corners that need work.

... or just do w2w. :D

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Some day :) Seems like prep cost is an order of magnitude greater than HPDE/TA.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BlackMK4 posted:

You gun be real frustrated with a Miata, unless you're planning on actually racing it and live in an area with a decent Miata crowd.

But hey, I'm sure many people will disagree with this.

edit: Agreed with the above. I bought my S2000 for about $12k and it came with $$$ Penske double adjustables, $$$ Karcepts swaybars, and a bunch of other little things. I'm $20k deep in it now and it's just a pretty basic track car.
I'm one of those people. I started off in an '02 NB and it taught me more about driving than any car I've owned since. I'm also not the sort of driver that gets frustrated at other drivers for holding me up, I'll just go sit in pit lane for 30 seconds. And I definitely LOVE running down "faster" cars in "slower" ones. The singular most fun experience I've had on track was outpacing a guy in a v8 Challenger who'd been legging it down the straights all day when the rain came out and power suddenly didn't make up for his poor cornering.

Blaise posted:

^^ You'll want one already track prepped. The costs add up QUICK and don't reflect upon resale. Example:
I may have to sell my track-prepped miata soon. You'll laugh when you see how cheap it'll go for.
If you are aware of any sorted, decently track-prepped Miatas for sale for under 8K, let me know. I haven't found any on any sites I've searched; I see ones with "tired engine, needs refreshed" and "car hasn't run in three years" at 10K.

Using your figures, car safety mods + tires should cost around $5600 at max. If I do any secondhand shopping I'll come in under that. That'll keep me under the mod cost for the BMW and still make a track-only car the financially smarter move. I can wait on shocks/springs/sways - maybe during the next offseason I'll do some work in the garage; I'll have more $ then.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

The Prong Song posted:

That's the most definitive and helpful info I've been able to find on track-prepping the 1er(thank you), and frankly, isn't that comforting.

What's your experience with over/understeer being corrected by wheels/tires, and what's your experience with clearance? From what I've been able to find, which isn't a whole lot, 18x8.5 inch wheels with ET45 up front with a 3mm spacer and 18x9.5 ET62 rears with caster/camber plates and aggressive alignment fits the largest non-extreme non-square setup, but requires rolling the fender. I was looking at the Evo Raceworks oil cooler and brake ducting for the car, but if I combine that with wheels and tires, front fender rolling, JB4 tuner and Meth injection kit, diff mounts, and possibly swapping out the diff for an LSD down the road the cost is close enough to option #2 that it almost makes no difference, financially.

Option #2 is "always the answer" - leave the 1er as a DD, buy a track-only Miata for relatively cheap, track-prep it immediately and slowly add to it over the next few years to eventually move to SM.

If you want the 135 to be a real track car you basically want to go full 1m conversion. There's a set of fenders/hood in the loft of our shop if your interested :twisted:

The fenders allow a much larger tire, which, along with a proper alignment and a 29mm+ front swaybar, go a long way towards correcting the handling issues present in a short wheelbase high-torque car. If you want an LSD, you'll need a diff cooler and tilton pump or else you'll cook the fluid in a 20 minute session.

Honestly, I could go on and on, but the best answer is option #2 or option #3 which is sell your 135 and buy a 1m. The 1m driveshaft and axles are different to accommodate the M3 diff, so a "1m conversion" is so expensive that it basically doesn't make sense which is why the hood and fenders are in the loft and not on the customer's car.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

BlackMK4 posted:

Some day :) Seems like prep cost is an order of magnitude greater than HPDE/TA.

Not if you buy a used Spec Miata! :D

No, sorry, I'll stop.

The Prong Song posted:

I'm one of those people. I started off in an '02 NB and it taught me more about driving than any car I've owned since. I'm also not the sort of driver that gets frustrated at other drivers for holding me up, I'll just go sit in pit lane for 30 seconds. And I definitely LOVE running down "faster" cars in "slower" ones. The singular most fun experience I've had on track was outpacing a guy in a v8 Challenger who'd been legging it down the straights all day when the rain came out and power suddenly didn't make up for his poor cornering.

If you are aware of any sorted, decently track-prepped Miatas for sale for under 8K, let me know. I haven't found any on any sites I've searched; I see ones with "tired engine, needs refreshed" and "car hasn't run in three years" at 10K.

Using your figures, car safety mods + tires should cost around $5600 at max. If I do any secondhand shopping I'll come in under that. That'll keep me under the mod cost for the BMW and still make a track-only car the financially smarter move. I can wait on shocks/springs/sways - maybe during the next offseason I'll do some work in the garage; I'll have more $ then.

There's always https://www.advanced-autosports.com/products/spec-miata-in-a-box if you're capable and willing of doing welding.

http://mazdaracers.com/classifieds/item/1953-1997-miata-itaspec-miata/ doesn't look that bad - I'd email to ask what "needs refresh" means to him though.

Sorry, I know I'm harping on this... I just really can't think of better bang per buck than SM for something that just works - you can run it in basically any organization, the parts support is there, it's not using any weird formula car bits, it just starts, etc. Dad and I built a T4 MX-5 (which is basically, prep-wise, the same idea applied to an NC) and it's a hoot, but if we didn't have the NC...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hey, I've been looking to get a ride in one for a while. :) We generally have 4-5 out there, so it seems like fun.
The one you linked there looks cheap as gently caress and pretty nice, seems like they are 10-12k when they do come up for sale around here (perhaps the ones I see are different?). Time to add a CL alert.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Mazdaracers is the defacto Spec Miata forum. I figure it's worth spectating at some wheel to wheel events, finding Spec Miata guys, making friends and trying to see if they know someone looking to get out of things... for every car that's posted on a forum or sales site, I'd wager that there's at least one more sitting in someone's garage that they're willing to sell but not quite eager yet.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

It's a compromise.

You end up needing a second set of wheels because tires do noticeably fall off when you street drive them (and that poo poo is expensive when they last 5 days as-is)
You end up needing to prep / de-prep the car every event -- swapping pads and maybe rotors, depending on the compounds you're using and the fucks you give
You need to worry about being able to drive the car to work Monday
You're limited safety wise as you can't just add a roll bar, cage, or fixed back seat to a street car safely

Makes sense. I only really do the occasional track night event so I'm not all that experienced yet and feel the need for more serious setups.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

DJ Commie posted:

I guess this is the best place to ask, but I'm looking for the best rallycross tire in near stock size (185-60-14) for my Stock-4WD class 323 GTX. I've seen the General Altimaxx Arctic mentioned as the one of the best options, really just looking for the best place to buy them. I'm in sandy (DG soil) with little actual gravel content, and would like some streetability since there's lots of well groomed dirt roads around. I'm in sunny California in the coastal mountains so they'll never see ice or snow, or likely even sub 50degF pavement.

Also, what is a decent street/track tire for a 15x6" wheel? I have 195 tires on there looking pretty square, so probably 195/55 or 205/50? They're 2002-sih Lancer OZ wheels. Last time I looked was before the UTQG 200-treadwear wars!

Firestone winterforce v1 is THE rallyx tire if you can get your hands on them. Lots of void space and the sidewall is sharp so they have good lateral dig. Can you not run gravel tires though?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Crustashio posted:

Firestone winterforce v1 is THE rallyx tire if you can get your hands on them. Lots of void space and the sidewall is sharp so they have good lateral dig. Can you not run gravel tires though?

Looks cheap! I haven't heard of them, is there a second version to avoid? Gravel tires as in real rally tires? I've never seen decently priced ones, and $200 a pop for Maxxis ones are a bit steep for something that likely couldn't utilize the benefits

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
At the same time, you can occasionally track your daily driver and a few things like an oil cooler, brake pads, and possibly some suspension would make that 135 more fun and more reliable without having it suck on the road. The NT01s are fine to just drive the track with as well so you don't really have to worry about getting them there and swapping wheels/tires. You can even put the pads in ahead of time.

DJ Commie posted:

Looks cheap! I haven't heard of them, is there a second version to avoid? Gravel tires as in real rally tires? I've never seen decently priced ones, and $200 a pop for Maxxis ones are a bit steep for something that likely couldn't utilize the benefits

Don't have to buy them new. Do people still use special stage or do you need to find facebook groups to buy used rally tires and parts?

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 1, 2018

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

DJ Commie posted:

There's a "Version 2" which has a different tread pattern and doesn't have the cuts in the sidewall. This is what you want:

All separate tread blocks and the sidewall has the sharp angles. Our regional is basically all gravel but I understand that a lot of americans use them too for mud.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

mekilljoydammit posted:

http://mazdaracers.com/classifieds/item/1953-1997-miata-itaspec-miata/ doesn't look that bad - I'd email to ask what "needs refresh" means to him though.

"A compression leak down test indicated 30% bypass of the rings on three cylinders. "

EDIT:

Dude told me it was more-than-likely sold this coming Saturday.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 1, 2018

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Ha, welp. Wonder how much a junkyard shortblock is

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

1.8's can be had for as low as $600 for the whole thing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
One thing to note. The suspension package on the Spec Miata is what non-spec racers would call 'bad.' If you're buying a spec car so you don't have to deal with cage/harness/seat/fire system/steering wheel stuff that's great. But unless you plan on actually running in SM there are significantly better options for suspension.

SM runs 700/400 springs, the current open suspension hotness is 1000/500 as shock development has increased and there are shocks that can control those rates for the Miata now.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

That's mine, and it would be well under $8k. I'm in Philly now and as I'm looking at jobs out west, I can't reasonably relocate all four of my cars if/when I get a job.

'92 Sunburst: mine since 2009 2365lb with 210lb driver (street legal btw)
4.3 Torsen from '99 Sport
110k miles, 190psi compression, 105whp, new clutch/flywheel/etc
Kirkey 15" Halo seat, Corbeau Passenger seat, 6pt x 2
Blackbird SD Rollbar
Hard top (duh)
FM suspension, ELBJs, RB front bar
RB exhaust (not yet installed!), tuned AFM
Removable Wheel
Two sets of wheels, Yoko AD08 and Maxxis RC-1
Hawk Pads, SS lines, all calipers replaced in 2017
V8Roadsters Frame Rails

It's not actually for sale... but if you'd be interested let's chat. Would cut you a nice deal if we could close on a moment's notice if I have to move. It's very nicely setup as is, I'm planning to add an aggressive front air dam, install the exhaust, and drive the wheels off of it some more in 2018 if I'm still on the east coast :q:

Blaise fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 1, 2018

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

One thing to note. The suspension package on the Spec Miata is what non-spec racers would call 'bad.' If you're buying a spec car so you don't have to deal with cage/harness/seat/fire system/steering wheel stuff that's great. But unless you plan on actually running in SM there are significantly better options for suspension.

SM runs 700/400 springs, the current open suspension hotness is 1000/500 as shock development has increased and there are shocks that can control those rates for the Miata now.

I'm not buying SM cars, I'm buying track-prepped Miatas :) If HPDE ever turns out to be not enough I'll look at converting whatever I get at that time.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

FatCow posted:

I actually agree with this, though note that there have been shocks that could cope with those sorts of spring rates on Miatas for as long as there's been Miatas. Similarly, 205 DOT-Rs (including SM tires) are faster on wider wheels, and the cars go faster with more power.

My view however is, "so what?"

If one is doing HPDE... last I checked there isn't an HPDE championship, so it seems to me that going down the rabbit hole of open suspension is a lot of money spent with no gain. And, this is going to expose my biases but whatever, when one stops loving around with HPDE and tries W2W, you're not stuck with either A: pulling a bunch of stuff off your car and trying to sell it, B: being a backmarker in a class with people who spent more on their open suspension and every other part of car prep than you did, or C: having 4 people in your run group.

Even if sticking to HPDE and poo poo, wouldn't it be nice to have a nice concrete benchmark for how you're doing? Not "OK, there's this guy that has sort of similar mods but more power and he's faster but this other guy with less mods is slower... uh... hm." but "OK, I'm within 5% of lap record of these guys with cars capable of the same lap times as mine within a couple percent."

But that's me, who spent most of last year wondering why I didn't beg/borrow/steal my way into a W2W ride 10 years ago. Chalk this up to arrogant dickery if you want, but at this point I literally cannot understand why someone would spend an equivalent amount of money doing track days as they would running an SM.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Prong Song posted:

I'm not buying SM cars, I'm buying track-prepped Miatas :) If HPDE ever turns out to be not enough I'll look at converting whatever I get at that time.

Speaking of:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/track-prepped-2000-miata/6454362942.html

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I should get my G Force harness back from him...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey let’s not forget Honda Challenge exists and is definitely cheaper than spec Miata! Though finding an unmolested or actually track prepped Honda is a bitch.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
HPD has nothing on Mazdaspeed last time I checked.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you actually race doesn't Mazda's contingency program poo poo on everyone elses, AKA parts pretty much at cost?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

I actually agree with this, though note that there have been shocks that could cope with those sorts of spring rates on Miatas for as long as there's been Miatas. Similarly, 205 DOT-Rs (including SM tires) are faster on wider wheels, and the cars go faster with more power.

My view however is, "so what?"

If one is doing HPDE... last I checked there isn't an HPDE championship, so it seems to me that going down the rabbit hole of open suspension is a lot of money spent with no gain. And, this is going to expose my biases but whatever, when one stops loving around with HPDE and tries W2W, you're not stuck with either A: pulling a bunch of stuff off your car and trying to sell it, B: being a backmarker in a class with people who spent more on their open suspension and every other part of car prep than you did, or C: having 4 people in your run group.

Even if sticking to HPDE and poo poo, wouldn't it be nice to have a nice concrete benchmark for how you're doing? Not "OK, there's this guy that has sort of similar mods but more power and he's faster but this other guy with less mods is slower... uh... hm." but "OK, I'm within 5% of lap record of these guys with cars capable of the same lap times as mine within a couple percent."

But that's me, who spent most of last year wondering why I didn't beg/borrow/steal my way into a W2W ride 10 years ago. Chalk this up to arrogant dickery if you want, but at this point I literally cannot understand why someone would spend an equivalent amount of money doing track days as they would running an SM.

All excellent points. I feel largely the same way too but I have heard one good reason to stay hpde. A friend of mine does hpde and could easily afford to w2w anytime. I asked him why, he told me he was a sore loser. Track days were his vacation / hobby and he knew that if he added competition he would get pissed if he wasn't winning even if he went out and did the best driving of his life. He said it would suck the fun out and be frustrating.

Personally I would have the best time fighting tooth and nail to not be dead last so long as I was racing someone of similar skill. But I can see the other perspective.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I do Time Attack, which (I feel) is a good compromise. W2W would be great but in Street Time Attack you don't need a cage.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Can't argue with much that's been said here, but being 6'1" I would not get a miata again to try and fit the rollbar/helmet height situation. It's a great car for people who are 5'7". Otherwise you move too much from street car to forced track car (thin race seats directly mounted to the floor with no adjustment).

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Larrymer posted:

Can't argue with much that's been said here, but being 6'1" I would not get a miata again to try and fit the rollbar/helmet height situation. It's a great car for people who are 5'7". Otherwise you move too much from street car to forced track car (thin race seats directly mounted to the floor with no adjustment).

This is my 944. It's caged but my helmet often bumps the bar padding on track. Not good.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Larrymer posted:

For what it's worth, I'm 6'2 and I fit with a helmet with foamectomy + removed rear seat mounts.

I'd still strongly recommend the paper thin seat. I'm so glad I moved to that.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

http://mazdaracers.com/topic/5507-floor-modification/#entry85115

https://www.advanced-autosports.com/products/spec-miata-floor-drop

Just sayin'... :D

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
The floor drop is SUPER legit. My future race car will definitely have one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Blaise posted:

For what it's worth, I'm 6'2 and I fit with a helmet with foamectomy + removed rear seat mounts.

I'd still strongly recommend the paper thin seat. I'm so glad I moved to that.

I'm all torso, baby. Do you actually pass a broomstick test?

:effort:

I instead put uncomfortable and thin bottomed race seats in mine, cut off the rear seat humps and the floor pan was touching my rear end while driving. It took it from "fun daily driver" to "craiglist" in a couple months time. :v: Not worth it to go to all that trouble dropping the floor when you can just buy a different car.

All cars have their own issues to sort out for track duty but there are easier paths and options is all I'm saying (if you're tall).

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

... it's non-visible-quality sheetmetal work, that's not a heck of a lot of work. But whatever.

I can get low enough in the NC by taking the foam cover off of the Ultrashield aluminum seat so haven't bothered. If I didn't have the NC I'd definitely do the floor drop to an NA or NB.

I guess I just look at it as... the Miata, almost everything is a solved problem already, the suspension geometry is basically uncompromised, parts are cheap, and there's even manufacturer support and contingency programs, plus the most popular wheel to wheel class in the country. Unless you want to go faster than that doing W2W (which is why I'm building RX-7s, that and I actually like making solutions rather than relying on buying them) it seems like a fuckload of positive points.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Larrymer posted:

I'm all torso, baby. Do you actually pass a broomstick test?

There's no broomstick test for DE. My helmet is below the rollbar.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

... it's non-visible-quality sheetmetal work, that's not a heck of a lot of work. But whatever.

Cutting out the floor of a unibody vehicle and welding in another panel even if it looks lovely afterwards is above what most people would be up for I'd venture to guess for a "fun daily/track car." :v: I didn't have a welder at the time or the skill to feel ok that my bird poo poo welds would be safe.

Blaise posted:

There's no broomstick test for DE. My helmet is below the rollbar.

It's a requirement generally, but nobody actually does it.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 2, 2018

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
This just inspired me to buy the proper seat rails for my cobra suzuka (the sparcos were cheaper and I was foolish :( ). Maybe it'll fit better.

Is removing bottom seat cushioning allowed with all seats or just some? It seems like it would really change the belt position with mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ever race seat I've seen has had replaceable cushions. I wouldn't be surprised if many models had the same shell but different sized cushions for small/medium and large/xl. Whatever seat we had in the endurance car we'd remove the bottom cushion for our tallest driver ~6.5 and put two in for me at 5.6...I also stuck an extra back cushion behind me.

Not having to share a car means I finally will have a seat that fits me. Downside is no one else will fit