Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
weedcoin. the only digital currency backed by weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

How long until people start killing themselves over butts crashing? I mean, black monday was “only” a 20% drop and dudes were throwing themselves out windows.

Hard to feel sorry for the coiners going broke.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pawn 17 posted:

How long until people start killing themselves over butts crashing? I mean, black monday was “only” a 20% drop and dudes were throwing themselves out windows.

Holy gently caress dude :monocle:

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Just checking in to say that this thread title is nearly relevant again.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

jimmyjams posted:

weedcoin. the only digital currency backed by weed

1 weedcoin = 1 dimebag

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Pawn 17 posted:

You can't do much damage throwing yourself from the ground level basement window

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Party Boat posted:

You can't do much damage throwing yourself from the ground level basement window

That’s true.

I mean, I don’t want anyone to kill themselves, but there are for sure people who will have their lives completely ruined by bitcoin.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Pawn 17 posted:

Suicide hotlines are sometime stickied on the bitcoin subreddits during big dips.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pawn 17 posted:

That’s true.

I mean, I don’t want anyone to kill themselves, but there are for sure people who will have their lives completely ruined by bitcoin.

I mean, I don't want anyone to kill themselves, but when will they start doing it?? Getting impatient here. Not that I want it to happen. Just wondering when it will. So I can see it and declare it terrible.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I hope they don't kill themselves. I'd rather they just migrate to r/MaleForeverAlone

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Fuckstick posted:

Just checking in to say that this thread title is nearly relevant again.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I mean, I don't want anyone to kill themselves, but when will they start doing it?? Getting impatient here. Not that I want it to happen. Just wondering when it will. So I can see it and declare it terrible.

I’m here for you Ham Sandwiches. Not financially ofc, but here all the same!

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Pawn 17 posted:

the only ones killing themselves will be the nocoiners who didnt buy the dip to ride institutional investment all the way to six figures hodl

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Mr Teatime posted:

Someone post an up to date version of that graph comparison. You know the one.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
lol that chart is 1,000 dollars higher than the actual price.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

So does this chart imply that the mean value should actually be around $4k?

Still above my cost base!

:shepicide:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

The Phlegmatist posted:

the only ones killing themselves will be the nocoiners who didnt buy the dip to ride institutional investment all the way to six figures hodl

Death by FOMO.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So does this chart imply that the mean value should actually be around $4k?

But see the thing is in most speculative bubbles there is at least some underlying value even if the bubble is huge. Housing? Well, people do like to live in housing. Beanie Babies? I mean they are kind of cute, I think I have a couple in storage somewhere. Tulips? They are pretty.

Bitcoin? It has like negative inherent value given the energy required to run the network. Eventually the price will drop low enough that it's not even worth running the nodes.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
LOL, it's lost $200 in the last 10 minutes, it's at a new 30 day low.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It's my fault, everyone, I never really truly believed in bitcoin.

I wonder if it's too late now... to believe?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
HODL me now
Warm my heart
Stay with me (Won't you stay with me?)
Let the bitmining start, let the bitmining start

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's my fault, everyone, I never really truly believed in bitcoin.

I wonder if it's too late now... to believe?

Clap your hands if you believe!

Tyrant
May 30, 2004

Wasting the time to show any of my illegitimate children even an ounce of affection would only serve to distract me from my duty to the people.

Those additional peaks/valleys indicate a divergence from your standard bull trap, and this is good for bitcoin because

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

HODL me now
Warm my heart
Stay with me (Won't you stay with me?)
Let the bitmining start, let the bitmining start

But look out our mine now
It's tattered and torn

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
I think it would be neat to make a compressed animation of the gdax depth chart over several hours and maybe have the midpoint move as the price rises and falls. It reminds me of those time-lapse sequences of corals trying to eat each other.

Siamang fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 1, 2018

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Rad Russian posted:

I actually want more dying companies to start doing this, it's gonna be like the .com boom. Smart people will be able to make lots of money off true believers by short selling all these garbage companies and without touching the poop.

you can't actually short KODK - there's nobody left willing to take the other side of the short. (Source: multiple people who tried.) It's functionally a penny stock that's still on the NYSE for historical reasons.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Lmao, that bitcoin twitch streamer that gets posted here clicked a malicious link in his chat and now has to reinstall windows.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Do I hear 8700?!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Richter Scabies posted:

But look out our mine now
It's tattered and torn

:wow:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

When the bubble pops, at least there will be a bounty of cheap, used video cards being sold by the dozen.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
The guy in the office next door to me builds custom PCs and shows them off at conventions as a hobby. His latest project is a bitcoin miner. He's not a hodler but just took it on as he already had the graphics cards sitting around from other projects. I wonder if he'll see it through to completion at this point.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

When the bubble pops, at least there will be a bounty of cheap, used video cards being sold by the dozen.

“TOTALLY NOT USED FOR MINING — ONLY SLIGHTLY CHARRED — IGNORE BURNING SMELL”

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

divabot posted:

you can't actually short KODK - there's nobody left willing to take the other side of the short. (Source: multiple people who tried.) It's functionally a penny stock that's still on the NYSE for historical reasons.

Funny thing about Kodak… Remember how they surged and gained a ton of value by announcing their alignment with the butts:

That's not even the 6 month high. Actually, just half a year ago they were as high as all but a few intra-day peaks:

A year ago, they were doing much better than at best with the butt.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Chemtrail posted:

Lmao, that bitcoin twitch streamer that gets posted here clicked a malicious link in his chat and now has to reinstall windows.

ahahahaha

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Are we hitting 8600 on GDAX shortly? drat people must be sweating.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Sten Freak posted:

Do I hear 8700?!

I blinked and it went from 8730 to 8670.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Bitfinex dropped below 9000 for a bit but is back at 9045

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Tonton Macoute posted:

I blinked and it went from 8730 to 8670.

Do I hear 8600?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I saw recently that FujiFilm was doing rather well and it made me feel good that not everyone in the world is a total clown.