Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Youth Decay posted:

The setting is a tad depressing however. Comes with a free dilapidated old garage, they just built another garage and driveway right in front instead of paying to demolish it.

I think you mean a shed for woodworking with a garage door for a ride-a-mower, sign me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anne Whateley posted:

I think you mean a shed for woodworking with a garage door for a ride-a-mower, sign me up

Nah, that little shed in back's for batin'

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always find these neighbourhoods where no one has any fences and all the houses float without any context in an empty unused sea of green grass really depressing or empty feeling.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's where Dora the Explorer lives.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

I always find these neighbourhoods where no one has any fences and all the houses float without any context in an empty unused sea of green grass really depressing or empty feeling.

Well, the one in that picture up there is in the middle of a farm field. That's all gonna be corn or soy or something half the year, the little bit of grass won't really seem significant at that point.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bad Munki posted:

Well, the one in that picture up there is in the middle of a farm field. That's all gonna be corn or soy or something half the year, the little bit of grass won't really seem significant at that point.

I mean the house next door to the left. I've seen areas where there's dozens of houses like with with no fences or gardens or any sort of delineation between spaces, just an uninterrupted sea of grass with houses floating in.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wait until you go to a park my man

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'd like the kitchen more if the work triangle wasn't so absurdly acute.

The 70's were all about convenience foods, no one wanted to actually work for their food then.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
So we moved in to this house October 2016. We have an 18 month old and both work full time jobs so it's been pretty hard to keep up with keeping the whole house moving forward, but I'd like to do a slight update to the basement. Does anyone have a good website for light fixtures? The previous owner bizarrely put this track lighting fixture in the ceiling with halogen bulbs. I don't want to put in a boob light, but I can't have anything that dangles too badly as the fixture is right over my computer which has a #neckbeard VR setup.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How high is the basement ceiling? Recessed cans are often a popular option for basements. Don't make the mistake of replacing every light in your house with them, but in a basement? They're great.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So we moved in to this house October 2016. We have an 18 month old and both work full time jobs so it's been pretty hard to keep up with keeping the whole house moving forward, but I'd like to do a slight update to the basement. Does anyone have a good website for light fixtures? The previous owner bizarrely put this track lighting fixture in the ceiling with halogen bulbs. I don't want to put in a boob light, but I can't have anything that dangles too badly as the fixture is right over my computer which has a #neckbeard VR setup.

There are a variety of Flush Mount Ceiling fixtures, one of which is likely to meet your requirements and also not be a boob light.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Bad Munki posted:

How high is the basement ceiling? Recessed cans are often a popular option for basements. Don't make the mistake of replacing every light in your house with them, but in a basement? They're great.

8 foot ceilings I think?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Could I do a semi-flush fixture like this?

https://www.beautifulhalo.com/industrial-edison-bulb-wrought-iron-8-light-large-led-semi-flush-ceiling-light-in-black-p-254987.html

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is your basement a hip new café in the trendy part of town?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I broke the 2300K rule and put recessed lights throughout the house, but that's on the basis that they're there for when I need to loving see please, with lamps and other less glaring lighting for normal use.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Recessed lights are okay, it's just like

chill

the gently caress

out

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is that a coffee table or a coffin ?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's a coffintable.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yowsa

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

hailthefish posted:

It's a coffintable.

An end table?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

At least put them in a more interesting pattern than "regular square grid". Get some Fibonacci spirals and fractal patterns going.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just put them all in one spot, clustered as tight as you can get them, just enough off center in the space that nothing lines up right.

Use a combination of led, cfl, and incandescents, all of different color temps.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The sparky fitted the lights in my downstairs bathroom slightly out of line and it is irritating the gently caress out of me and the builder as we both have the same frustrated attention to detail.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Hello, can I interest you in this castle? Built in 1946 and mint condition.

Conversation pit? No, conversation turret!

I've never seen a walk-in shower like this in a house from this period. Beautiful tilework.

I'm in love. It's mid-century styling applied to "old" architectural forms - not mid-century modern, but mid-century medieval.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

This is so clever I feel like I should have seen it before. Pull-down spice racks on the underside of your cabinets seems like an amazing use of spare space. Maybe not especially relevant in a gigantic kitchen, but I could see it being very useful in smaller one-person kitchens.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Makes me want to go to Medieval Times, too bad there isn't one near me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is so clever I feel like I should have seen it before. Pull-down spice racks on the underside of your cabinets seems like an amazing use of spare space. Maybe not especially relevant in a gigantic kitchen, but I could see it being very useful in smaller one-person kitchens.

It is clever but if you want to pull down the one on the right it looks like a huge single unit, hope your work surface doesn't have things on it...

E: my mistake, looking closer they're all separate.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Save both those bathrooms. They're great

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is one of the weirdest unit plans I've ever seen. What the hell would you even use that long thin room to the right of the stairwell for? It's exactly 3' wide and 17' long. I guess you could have a really shallow shelf running down one side? But it doesn't even connect to a bedroom, it connects to a little 7x7 room, which is awkwardly off the small 10x11 bedroom. It's like they just had some extra space left in the building and shrugged and divided things up into a random chain of rooms.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is the house old enough to have had a cold pantry or a “coal hole”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a cold cellar, but if it were 3’ wide I would probably pretend I didn’t.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fill it with doors all the way down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I"m also working on a brand new building that is a crematorium, autopsy and cold storage, and "witness viewing area" on the main floor and a lovely apartment on the 2nd. Nice live/work arrangement I guess?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Baronjutter posted:

I"m also working on a brand new building that is a crematorium, autopsy and cold storage, and "witness viewing area" on the main floor and a lovely apartment on the 2nd. Nice live/work arrangement I guess?

It actually isn't uncommon for morticians to live in the place that they work

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Iron Crowned posted:

It actually isn't uncommon for morticians to live in the place that they work

It's an interesting tradition lasted. The whole "live above your shop" thing has mostly died out.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s relatively common in the UK, also good for finding cheap flats to rent because people are perfectly happy to pay well under the going rent rate for the inconvenience of being able to hear drunk people shouting in the kebab shop below for a few hours a night.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It sounds good to me because they have erratic work hours. I didn't expect an on-site crematorium, is it in a remote neighborhood?

Homes above shops are very common here in both old and new houses :japan: Basic "residential" zoning still allows for shops and house-sized warehouses so people can easily open a hair salon or keep a proper office in an extra room without special permitting.

http://www.realestate-tokyo.com/news/land-use-zones-in-japan/

peanut fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 3, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

peanut posted:

It sounds good to me because they have erratic work hours. I didn't expect an on-site crematorium, is it in a remote neighborhood?

It’s just part of the HVAC setup.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

Fill it with doors all the way down.

The doors have to start off as a simple wood interior door with a latch and progress to a rusty iron behemoth with multiple padlocks and arcane symbols and "IT WALKS AT NIGHT" scrawled in blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I mean the house next door to the left. I've seen areas where there's dozens of houses like with with no fences or gardens or any sort of delineation between spaces, just an uninterrupted sea of grass with houses floating in.

That's probably not a house, but a shop or barn of some kind.