Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Lucas was right to put these out over every three years. Two is too much of a rush.

Hell, eighteen months to every two years put an incredible strain on the original series Star Trek movies, and those were produced on relative shoestring budgets by Paramount's television division. The only way it's possible for them to do it with giant spectacles like Star Wars is because each movie has a different director, so they get a head-start by beginning pre-production while the previous movie is still shooting or in editing.

Fuligin posted:

It baffles me that Disney was so eager to wring every drop of the franchise instead of letting it breathe a little.

The only reason we don't have like a half-dozen Cars movies by now is because Pixar takes three to four years to produce a single film.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fuligin posted:

I see these stories on TLJ doing below expectations for the second part of a trilogy, but it seems kind of obvious that Rogue One screws that up a bit?

At best it performed at the low end of expectations; I think it's fair to say that it didn't do as well as Disney probably hoped for but it still did well by just about any metric other than by comparison to TFA.

I think there's probably one or two factors why it didn't do as well as it could have separate from the content of the movie itself, with the competition from Jumanji et al. (which TFA didn't have) being the big one. I wouldn't be surprised if other studios start putting movies out over Christmas, because they're not "scared" of Star Wars like they were for TFA and Rogue One.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

At best it performed at the low end of expectations

Oh my God stop it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My quick calculations estimate it made a 100% profit.

Low end of expectations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fuligin posted:

I see these stories on TLJ doing below expectations for the second part of a trilogy, but it seems kind of obvious that Rogue One screws that up a bit? They might not literally be part of the same series, but to most folks I know Star Wars is Star Wars and audience exhaustion three years in a row isn't hard to anticipate. It baffles me that Disney was so eager to wring every drop of the franchise instead of letting it breathe a little.

They spent a lot of money getting the rights to the IP.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was only 4 billion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fuligin posted:

I see these stories on TLJ doing below expectations for the second part of a trilogy, but it seems kind of obvious that Rogue One screws that up a bit? They might not literally be part of the same series, but to most folks I know Star Wars is Star Wars and audience exhaustion three years in a row isn't hard to anticipate. It baffles me that Disney was so eager to wring every drop of the franchise instead of letting it breathe a little.

Star Wars will continue to make a lot of money because ofc Star Wars but it's going to stop being a cultural event like it once was. Instead it'll be like hey you wanna go see that new Star Wars with baby Chewbacca, you wanna go see the new Star Wars with the monkey, you wanna go see the gay Star Wars etc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

It was only 4 billion.

And ticket sales alone have been north of $4 billion, to say nothing of all the merchandising and other ancillary revenue streams. That first Force Friday was obscene.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Hate to tell you Star-tards but the Star Wars bubble is about to burst. Just look at the comic book movie bubble.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Oh my God stop it

But I've done my reading this time! I found a graph and everything!

More seriously, among other things, I read a Wall Street Journal article the other day (accessible here, but it's behind a paywall - the same information is summarised here) suggesting that TLJ fell $200m short of analysts' projections owing to a faster-than-expected decline in January.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

UmOk posted:

Hate to tell you Star-tards but the Star Wars bubble is about to burst. Just look at the comic book movie bubble.

It's potentially a good thing in the long run because people got so loving bored making superhero movies all the time that they had to start actually writing more interesting films like Logan and Deadpool. Maybe the same thing will happen to Star Wars and it can just become a background setting for more complex narratives than the one type of story Star Wars currently knows how to tell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

More seriously, among other things, I read a Wall Street Journal article the other day (accessible here, but it's behind a paywall - the same information is summarised here) suggesting that TLJ fell $200m short of analysts' projections owing to a faster-than-expected decline in January.

Note that's not Disney's expectations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

exquisite tea posted:

It's potentially a good thing in the long run because people got so loving bored making superhero movies all the time that they had to start actually writing more interesting films like Logan and Deadpool. Maybe the same thing will happen to Star Wars and it can just become a background setting for more complex narratives than the one type of story Star Wars currently knows how to tell.

jj abrams needs to make the last movie of the trilogy before that happens, which will probably be another inoffensive piece of garbage.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Strange that people compare the price Disney paid to the box office gross without accounting for, say, advertising, various cuts taken, etc. etc. etc.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

Strange that people compare the price Disney paid to the box office gross without accounting for, say, advertising, various cuts taken, etc. etc. etc.
And on the opposite end, merchandising, licensing, home video, and the fact that Hollywood accounting is voodoo and New Hope still hasn't turned a profit on paper yet.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Disney has likely already made back their 4 billion with merch alone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

And ticket sales alone have been north of $4 billion, to say nothing of all the merchandising and other ancillary revenue streams. That first Force Friday was obscene.

gently caress that - May 4th is already on its way to being a national holiday. It was worth it and then some, their return on the franchise is only getting started.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pops Mgee posted:

Disney has likely already made back their 4 billion with merch alone.

There's 4 billion worth of TFA toys still sitting in warehouses.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sassassin posted:

There's 4 billion worth of TFA toys still sitting in warehouses.

I seriously doubt they've made 4 billion "worth" of TFA toys period.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Solo trailer on Monday during Good Morning America

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
hahaha all the men 18-35 who watch Good Morning America are gonna be like "whaaaat!? an unasked for treat"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Han Solo: He Lives for Love and Fights for Family

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know it'll never happen but I'd love it if Solo had the first Star Wars sex scene.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The first movie titled after its rotten tomato score

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Han: I'm gonna be a good boy

Ron Howard: he wouldnt

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know it'll never happen but I'd love it if Solo had the first Star Wars sex scene.

Star Wars has shown penetration before.

Also lots of procreation.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

Han: I'm gonna be a good boy

Ron Howard: he wouldnt

"That's the LAST time I stick my neck out for a big eyed brunette's little rebellion!"

It wasn't.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I want Han to meet Jyn Erso and they should kiss

Han learns the "I know" line from Jyn when she ghosts him

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He ends the movie by picking up the "You'll be dead!" guy (played by Clint Howard this time) on lightsaber crystal planet and shuttling him to Tattooine. He'll be the connective tissue of all side stories going forward

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

"You'll be dead!" guy (played by Clint Howard this time)

cosigning this hard

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

4 billion is about 200 million a year profit for 25 years adjusted to present value

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mon Cal opera

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Solo will use a lightsaber to fatally end the antagonist in a similar manner as Obi Wan using a gun on General Grievous.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
*Tosses ancient phallic totem of power away.*

"So civilized."

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I thought the movie stank booty rear end

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He ends the movie by picking up the "You'll be dead!" guy (played by Clint Howard this time) on lightsaber crystal planet and shuttling him to Tattooine. He'll be the connective tissue of all side stories going forward

He wouldn’t even need makeup lol

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

That DICK! posted:

I thought the movie stank booty rear end

Agree. Close thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Why don't you close

your face.