Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/958830123079188481

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Timby posted:

An additional ~$2.7 billion on top of the ~$5.5 billion or so Fox is already committed to, when viewership is down across the board, is a hell of a bet.

Ratings for everything are in a tailspin. I think the assumption is that the live and immediate nature of sports means that even as ratings for football and other sports go down, they will decline less than traditional TV and their marginal value over other types of TV will increase. Its still an insane bet because TV is dying and any bet right now is probably bad, but I see the logic there.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Football ratings have declined but they’re still the most sure fire thing.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
You know what else is a sure fire? Manure.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin has a couple great collection of calls from all over the world on two plays from last night's super bowl:

Eagles trick play at the end of the 2nd quarter

The strip sack late in the game that effectively sealed it

Kevin Harlan's calls of both are phenomenal, but special shout out to Australia's Gerard Whateley, who had an all-timer of a call on the strip-sack, at about the 1:53 mark.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

Deadspin has a couple great collection of calls from all over the world on two plays from last night's super bowl:

Eagles trick play at the end of the 2nd quarter

The strip sack late in the game that effectively sealed it

Kevin Harlan's calls of both are phenomenal, but special shout out to Australia's Gerard Whateley, who had an all-timer of a call on the strip-sack, at about the 1:53 mark.

I like how Zolak is completely silent on the Pats call of the fumble until he murmurs "are we sure" as it cuts out

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rating details for the super bowl are out

quote:

NBC announced Monday that the Eagles’ 41-33 victory over the Patriots earned a 47.4 overnight rating, a number that’s difficult to parse. On one hand, that is the lowest figure for a Super Bowl since 2010, despite a thrilling game. On the other hand, it was down only 3 percent from last year and did not dip at the same rate as the regular season and the rest of the playoffs. Per NBC, the Super Bowl out-rated all previous postseason games by 143 percent, the largest margin in Super Bowl history.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

I like how Zolak is completely silent on the Pats call of the fumble until he murmurs "are we sure" as it cuts out

I'm trying to picture Australians showing widespread interets in the NFL and it's kinda tough, given how much they love cricket, soccer and Aussie Rules rugby. Heck, I'd think even basketball and baseball might have bigger footholds down there.

Well, maybe not baseball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm trying to picture Australians showing widespread interets in the NFL and it's kinda tough, given how much they love cricket, soccer and Aussie Rules rugby. Heck, I'd think even basketball and baseball might have bigger footholds down there.

Australia has a professional baseball league

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
MLB played games in Australia not long ago

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/960592323884273664

:discourse:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

To be fair, I've never listened to Gerry and Dennis' show, but since they host sports talk radio, the chance that they are dumb is pretty good.

Also amazed to hear a a presumably homer-ish Pats fan acknowledge that they get calls

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

R.D. Mangles posted:

Australia has a professional baseball league

Not only that every major state have big grassroots leagues playing all year (I played in winter because I'd rather be wet and cold than die in 40 degree weather).

It's not mainstream, but the superbowl is on mainstream network TV every year and has for years. The Superbowl used to be this cult thing that they'd show on TV and after a while it just became something that's on TV. Also, there are 3 games each week on smaller station. I'm not saying everybody is into it but Australians like sport and more sport is more fun.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

To be fair, I've never listened to Gerry and Dennis' show, but since they host sports talk radio, the chance that they are dumb is pretty good.

Also amazed to hear a a presumably homer-ish Pats fan acknowledge that they get calls

that's Dennis and Callahan and Minihane, though Dennis is semi-retired because of alcoholism and poo poo like this

quote:

Dennis no longer hosts Dennis and Callahan on WEEI, but he’ll always be indelibly associated with that show due to an incident that took place when he did, at a time when he was able to show his true colors. In 2003, he and co-host Gerry Callahan were suspended for making this joke referencing Metco, an inner-city student busing program:

The remarks by Dennis and Callahan were made during a news segment of the program on Sept. 29, as the two hosts bantered about a gorilla that had escaped from the Franklin Park Zoo. “Yeah, yeah, he was a Metco gorilla,” Dennis said.

“Heading out to Lexington,” Callahan replied.

“Yeah, exactly,” Dennis said.

https://twitter.com/JohnDennisWEEI/status/830989253974818818

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Well gee it didn't take long for these idiots to turn on Bill Belichick did it? Nevermind that he built five super bowl winning teams in a period of near unrivaled parity. The Pats won 5 of the last 17 Super Bowls. The other 12 were won by 9 separate teams with the Giants and Steelers each winning two in that period. But sure, gently caress the guy responsible for building those teams.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Akileese posted:

Well gee it didn't take long for these idiots to turn on Bill Belichick did it? Nevermind that he built five super bowl winning teams in a period of near unrivaled parity. The Pats won 5 of the last 17 Super Bowls. The other 12 were won by 9 separate teams with the Giants and Steelers each winning two in that period. But sure, gently caress the guy responsible for building those teams.

its easy to win when you cheat

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The super bowl is very likely to dip back below 100 million viewers next year, and seemed on pace to this year before the 2nd half

quote:

If the game hadn’t been close, and viewership numbers would have peaked around halftime for Justin Timberlake, then we very well could have seen the NFL dip back below 100 million viewers this year. Luckily for the league, that didn’t happen this time. But right now, it just seems to be a matter of time before it does.

The numbers have shown that the Super Bowl wasn’t immune to the drop in ratings seen at pretty much every level of the NFL season. Regular season ratings were down. Wild Card ratings were down. Divisional Round ratings were down. Championship Sunday ratings were down. And the Super Bowl followed suit. Inexplicably, pretty much the only weekend that the NFL saw ratings go up compared to last year was the Pro Bowl.

lmao

it was only because it was an ABC/ESPN simulcast but still...

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 6, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought those "virtual" player models NBC used when comparing stats looked like they were from Madden 2002.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was embarrassing and they kept showing them even after it was clearly not working. Whoever paid money for those needs to lose their job.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

This says a lot more about TV generally than it does football.

https://twitter.com/mulvihill79/status/960911972949807104

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The NFL just sold some lovely Thursday night games for $550 million a season and that doesn't even include the $50-$100 million they'll get on top of that for streaming rights.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How quickly did Boxing fade to irrelevance? Is that going to be the road map for the NFL?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

algebra testes posted:

How quickly did Boxing fade to irrelevance? Is that going to be the road map for the NFL?

Not that fast overall, took 20 years to really decline.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boxing's fade was in no small part due to how just cartoonishly corrupt it had become between directors/officials and promoters. Like yeah, lol the NFL loves [insert major market/powerful owner's team] and all that, but it was a whole different level in boxing. Prize fights were either flat out fixed by officials, or you saw nobodies being fed to the fighters they wanted to promote (something boxing and MMA still does, to be sure), boxers themselves were far less marketable, and while boxing itself can be awesome, I think in the states it became far too reliant on giant heavyweights that just leaned on one-another for 12 rounds. I think taste for PPV events soured as well, since boxing on cable or network TV was pretty uncommon, but other sports were getting more and more coverage and were far more accessible.

To be sure, the long term health issues were another factor, it wasn't hard to see how far and fast Ali was declining.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Football also has a gigantic infrastructure, from high school and earlier probably it's a money maker in many parts of the country. It'll evolve (somehow) or die off but it's gonna take a hell of a lot longer than boxing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

Boxing's fade was in no small part due to how just cartoonishly corrupt it had become between directors/officials and promoters. Like yeah, lol the NFL loves [insert major market/powerful owner's team] and all that, but it was a whole different level in boxing. Prize fights were either flat out fixed by officials, or you saw nobodies being fed to the fighters they wanted to promote (something boxing and MMA still does, to be sure), boxers themselves were far less marketable, and while boxing itself can be awesome, I think in the states it became far too reliant on giant heavyweights that just leaned on one-another for 12 rounds. I think taste for PPV events soured as well, since boxing on cable or network TV was pretty uncommon, but other sports were getting more and more coverage and were far more accessible.

To be sure, the long term health issues were another factor, it wasn't hard to see how far and fast Ali was declining.

The PPV's were also crazy expensive for poor value, the Tyson/McNeely fight was 50 bucks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The PPV's were also crazy expensive for poor value, the Tyson/McNeely fight was 50 bucks

Yeah as I recall most of the prize fights had really underwhelming undercards but it's been decades now.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Those last two lovely Mayweather fights cost $100 and they made a ton of money off of them

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Those last two lovely Mayweather fights cost $100 and they made a ton of money off of them

Floyd is a special case. People have spent more than a decade buying his fights solely because they hope he loses. He's for real an rear end which helps, but he's also brilliant at promoting himself as an rear end to encourage this behavior.

He's also really damned good at boxing. Adrien Broner tried to take the same career path but he wasn't good enough to make it work and now he's kind of a joke.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Floyd is the combination of a drat near perfect defensive boxer with a great promoter and someone who's smart enough to know to pick his fights against people that don't have a prayer against him. That all came to a peak in the McGregor fight.

There's nothing flashy at all about him but he basically never gets hurt and everyone wants to see him get his rear end kicked. The only person that's come anywhere close was Marcos Maidana.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
he's the boxing equivalent of the Honkey Tonk Man

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

lmao that works way better than it should

E: just to bring this thread back to broadcasting, Joe Girardi will be an MLB Network analyst

quote:

In a sense, Girardi’s return to TV completes a three-way trade between MLB Network, ESPN and the Yankees. First, the Yankees hired Aaron Boone away from ESPN to be their new manager. Then ESPN poached Matt Vasgersian from MLB Network (and Fox), to call its Sunday Night Baseball package alongside Jessica Mendoza and fellow newcomer Alex Rodriguez. Finally, MLB Network brought about Girardi, who had of course been deposed by the Yankees.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 7, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Dan Shulman was probably the best national PBP guy for baseball. It's a shame he stepped down. What on earth is he doing since he's not doing SNB? I know he wanted to spend more time with his family but is he still doing college basketball? Any college football?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I hadn't realized Vasgersian had gone to ESPN. He's really good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Dan Shulman was probably the best national PBP guy for baseball. It's a shame he stepped down. What on earth is he doing since he's not doing SNB? I know he wanted to spend more time with his family but is he still doing college basketball? Any college football?

He does college basketball. I was about to say more but realized I was thinking of Dave Pasch.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/961294677981921281

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yes but they were marquee matchups that went a reasonable length of time. Mcneely's trainer stopped the fight in the first round. And the Mayweather fights are an outlier, and at the same time represent the problem with boxing: Mayweather can charge that knowing full well it'll be a long time before a fight this big comes along in the sport. I also feel like one of the reasons he's retiring is that nobody will buy a 3rd fight since there's nobody that can beat him. If he were more vulnerable, maybe, but the dude is one of the best fighters ever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus loving christ it's still 2 goddamn hours long

quote:

While a Turner spokesperson would not comment on the show’s specific format, they said the bracket reveal would be in the front portion of the two-hour show this year.

hahahaha bullshit

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 7, 2018

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

exploded mummy posted:

I was going to say early Ric Flair, but yeah this works really well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

hahahaha bullshit

as if it's not going to leak on the internet before the show even starts