Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

today i thought it would be cute to push a branch with a "λ" in the name and it broke our entire build system for an hour while we tried to figure out how to remove the ref from git

I've definitely written commit messages with emoji in them without problems, and as far as I can tell this should be legal in branch names as well. Sounds like there's a problem with your build system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Is there a word for people who come into a development environment suggesting things as if they're mana from heaven and nobody had ever thought of them that just happen to coincide with their previous jobs and things they just happen to be comfortable with?

It's incredibly frustrating.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ErIog posted:

Is there a word for people who come into a development environment suggesting things as if they're mana from heaven and nobody had ever thought of them that just happen to coincide with their previous jobs and things they just happen to be comfortable with?

when-all-you-have-is-a-hammer-then-everything-looks-like-a-nail- uh... -phile

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

ErIog posted:

we have two new people that do this and I always think “wow is this your second job ever”

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
a highly experienced amateur? I dunno, I’m always reminded of the long term volunteers of the ship I used to work on, really really well versed in the standard way we do it on our ship, but absolutely unaware that the way we do things is not even close to universal, and all they’d have to do is visit even one more ship to be disabused of the notion.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

our new database dude is starting to really piss me off

"why don't we have schema of our database somewhere"

why don't you, dense gently caress, pull your prehistoric head out of your rear end and learn a few new things, such as "how to generate database schema diagram you can conveniently navigate in under 10 seconds with tools that were provided to you on day one" or "how to communicate with colleagues from other offices"

and that last comment relates to a guy who thinks there is no difference between working remote and on-site

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VikingofRock posted:

I've definitely written commit messages with emoji in them without problems, and as far as I can tell this should be legal in branch names as well. Sounds like there's a problem with your build system?

yeah it was. it was something in java/jenkins that choked on the encoding. probably the git plugin.

couldn't figure out how to remove the drat ref -- deleeting the branch remotely and locally didnt do it so we just killed the workspace and it was all good.

there's apparently a setting you can turn on that will fix it but i dont see any reason to have cute / annoying to type branch names, so.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 31, 2018

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

ErIog posted:

at one place i worked, every time we got a new manager that oversaw the production department, the first thing he wanted to do was move all of our hosting to a new service provider. there was never a problem with our existing provider, but they always suggested we move, and they always recommended rackspace. i think it was just the easiest way for them to commandeer a meeting in their first week

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

a guy who thinks there is no difference between working remote and on-site

it's true

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

i'm too lazy to work from home so it's not

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

eschaton posted:

maybe it’s a function of other good emulators being available

TOS using a format similar to a.out is good because it looks like it’d make Franz an easier port

seeing things about major and minor devices in the Franz source makes me nervous though

I found some info online that says you can add a second header to a TOS executable that TOS ignores but lets binutils treat it as an a.out executable too

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

pokeyman posted:

I forget what I broke but I think it was making a branch foo/bar then later someone made a branch foo

ya branches are stored as literal files with the head sha. So if a foo/bar exists some file systems get upset when you try to make a foo. Or maybe its git internals being dumb. either way yeah branches are files.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

ErIog posted:

hard to get a team started on unit testing if they don’t wanna or -far worse- never heard of it

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 31, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Coffee Jones posted:

hard to get a team started on unit testing if they don’t wanna or -far worse- never heard of it

this is our 8 developer teams, all of them. one team had hired a guy for testing aeons ago, and he didn't fit in the team and everyone hated it, so now no one even thinks about testing.

they just push untested code to code review, and if it passes - deploy

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ErIog posted:

and how!!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

JawnV6 posted:

and how!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

good news: I have a GCC 4.6 that produces TOS executables now
bad news: it links programs against a POSIX compatibility library that makes HELOWRLD.PRG weigh 132kb and the serial port is only capable of 19200bps

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
So smaller than java hello world

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

lancemantis posted:

So smaller than java hello world

poo poo, smaller than the HelloWorld.java file

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

JawnV6 posted:

and how!!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

but I like how :(

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
wait I can’t compile an electron app for Windows unless I’m on Windows?

cross platform my rear end

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

pokeyman posted:

isn't it the same the other way, you can only compile for mac on mac?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

hell, even xamarin requires a mac you can ssh into for builds

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah I haven’t heard of any compiled frameworks that let you build targets for other systems outside of like the old days of computers that couldn’t self host

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean it’s probably a bit hard for it to link to the proprietary windows libs it needs on OS X

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

lancemantis posted:

I mean it’s probably a bit hard for it to link to the proprietary windows libs it needs on OS X

mingw has existed for something like 20 years now, my dude

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

c tp s:

Java code:
boolean isTestPassed = false
if(something.isPresent()) {
	isTestPassed = true;
}

assertEquals(true, isTestPassed);
:psyduck:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

c tp s:

Java code:
	isTestPassed = true;
}

maybe they want to protect against truthy values?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

c tp s:

Java code:
	isTestPassed = true;
}

maybe you wanna reuse that bool later on in the test?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

c tp s:

Java code:
	isTestPassed = true;
}

atleast its correct

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

maybe you wanna reuse that bool later on in the test?

nope, he uses it only for the asserts

he also thought that you couldnt put any code after an assert statement so i'm going to have to explain how .isPresent() returns a boolean

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'll be honest here, writing if statements like function calls is what really bothers me because I'm autistic as gently caress

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

DaTroof posted:

at one place i worked, every time we got a new manager that oversaw the production department, the first thing he wanted to do was move all of our hosting to a new service provider. there was never a problem with our existing provider, but they always suggested we move, and they always recommended rackspace. i think it was just the easiest way for them to commandeer a meeting in their first week

In my case I am cursed to run into people who want to evangelize for SharePoint.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to java

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
hey yospos, what's a good crash course book or site for python? a manager asked if anyone was stupid enough to pick it up for future support and because im real dumb its now me

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Official docs are good

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

learn python the hard way dot com

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

maybe they want to protect against truthy values?

yeah, maybe they’re using three-value logic: true, false, file not found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

NEED MORE MILK posted:

learn python the hard way dot com

lol Zed Shaw

• Locked thread