Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skyydude
Sep 26, 2010

I haven't bought any new hardware since 2009, and I'm in need of an upgrade. Right now I game on an ATX desktop: Intel I7 920 on an MSI X58 Pro (LGA 1366) with a GTX 260. I don't want to buy another desktop, I'd rather spend the money on a good laptop that accomplishes the same thing in a much smaller form factor. I'm considering this:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8157-clevo-p650hs-g.html
SAGER NP8157

The only upgrades I'm looking at are a better SSD, a larger HDD, and a 120hz screen, so it's ~$1700 total. I like that it supports 4k, but I'd only consider that for video at this time (not gaming). Since I'm so out of touch with the gaming computer market, would this be a good buy?

I've been an Intel/nVidia guy for over ten years. Is AMD any better these days? I'm not looking to start an internet war here, I just want some insight on the state of the industry.

Thanks Goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

skyydude posted:

I've been an Intel/nVidia guy for over ten years. Is AMD any better these days? I'm not looking to start an internet war here, I just want some insight on the state of the industry.

If you want to play modern games at anything above 1080p@60Hz, you want NVidia. No flame war needed, that's just how it is right now.

Good luck finding an affordable card right now, though! Hopefully, with BTC slipping below $9k today, we might see the bubble finally deflate and card prices stabilize somewhat, but I'm not holding my breath.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

skyydude posted:

I haven't bought any new hardware since 2009, and I'm in need of an upgrade. Right now I game on an ATX desktop: Intel I7 920 on an MSI X58 Pro (LGA 1366) with a GTX 260. I don't want to buy another desktop, I'd rather spend the money on a good laptop that accomplishes the same thing in a much smaller form factor. I'm considering this:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8157-clevo-p650hs-g.html
SAGER NP8157

The only upgrades I'm looking at are a better SSD, a larger HDD, and a 120hz screen, so it's ~$1700 total. I like that it supports 4k, but I'd only consider that for video at this time (not gaming). Since I'm so out of touch with the gaming computer market, would this be a good buy?

Thanks Goons!

6 core intel mobile cpus are out/coming out soon. If you can wait id wait for those.

skyydude
Sep 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

6 core intel mobile cpus are out/coming out soon. If you can wait id wait for those.

Well if you think about it, I've waited 9 years already... :p Thanks for the reply!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

the problem with waiting for buying a laptop is that you can p much always find a reason to wait

imo

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Statutory Ape posted:

the problem with waiting for buying a laptop is that you can p much always find a reason to wait

imo

Thats true but a jump from 4 to 6 cores is a better reason than most

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
The ultrabook processors will probably remain at 4 cores for the foreseeable future though, no? I can't imagine a sub-3lb laptop with a 6-core processor any time soon.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Maybe a 6-core with no turbo and a max of 1.8GHz, just to claim they're a 6-core.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

The ultrabook processors will probably remain at 4 cores for the foreseeable future though, no? I can't imagine a sub-3lb laptop with a 6-core processor any time soon.

Yea, 8th gen U cpus are quad core. 8th gen y havn't been announced. The 8700hq though is a 6 core (but not out yet)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Got my new lappy, roughly $1,200

Dell Precision M7510
https://valid.x86.fr/3c1x1r
Xeon Quad E3-1505M
32GB ECC DDR4 SODIMM
512GB NVM SSD
1TB 7200RPM HDD
Nvidia Quadro M1000M 2GB MXM-III Card
1920 x 1080 Display

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How easy is it to replace the screen on a x270? I really like my x230 and the only issue is the lovely screen resolution. I'm considering getting one with a 1366 x 768 off ebay and sticking a 1080 screen...

I'm not too hamfisted with assembling things but would draw the line at having to modify bits of the computer.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

knox_harrington posted:

How easy is it to replace the screen on a x270? I really like my x230 and the only issue is the lovely screen resolution. I'm considering getting one with a 1366 x 768 off ebay and sticking a 1080 screen...

I'm not too hamfisted with assembling things but would draw the line at having to modify bits of the computer.

I did this with an x260, it was absurdly easy and didn't require any tools. The only issue I found is that the 1080p display was slightly smaller than the 768 one, so it didn't clip into the housing properly. Apparently there's a whole other rear display housing part for the 1080p model, but frankly, gently caress that noise. I put some black Sugru into the inside corners and sides of the housing, squished the display in, put the bezel on and made sure it was centered while it was still soft. Now it's rock solid and probably more durable than the original mount, and I can just cut away the Sugru if I need to replace it again.

If you don't want to gently caress with it that much you could just hunt down the right display housing, but it's a rare part and I'm not gonna spend $70 on a piece of plastic when $3 worth of silicone does a better job.

Just make sure that the edp port lines up with where the cable comes out in your display housing. For my x260 it's off-center, so I had to make sure I got a display with an off-center port. You can check Lenovo's website, they give you lots of detail for field repairs.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Awesome thanks.. bit the bullet with a "new: other" x270 for Ł450. It's an 8GB one, I can't remember how it's arranged on the x270 - any idea if there is always some soldered and 1 slot for a stick, or will it just be the 8GB occupying the only room?

Guess I will wait for it to arrive and see what precise model it is and work on upgrading.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Crucial's website suggests there is one slot for RAM sticks, so you can probably get a 16gb and stick it in there.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I need to replace my dying Surface Pro 2. GPU is toast, and it's just full of gremlins. Looking for a 12-15" Windows laptop, no discreet graphics or tablet mode needed. I mostly use it for tabletop game nights these days, so Chrome, Word, Excel, buncha PDFs all at the same time. Would prefer something in like an i5 with 8 gigs of RAM and an SSD so it's quick and should last a few years. I'm looking to spend around $500-$600 if possible. I'm a bit flexible, but I don't want to spend a lot either for something I realistically use only a handful of times a month.

I've come across the Asus Vivobook, slap an SSD in there and call it good.

https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-i5-8250U-NanoEdge-Fingerprint-F510UA-AH51/dp/B0762S8PYM/

There are a billion Dell/Lenovo/HP options as well, but I'm just not sure what's decent or poo poo out there currently.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Inspiron 13 or 15

edit:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...504018897217012

$600 xps 13 after xps400off coupon code

Only thing id say is upgrade or plan on upgrading the ssd as its only 128gb.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 2, 2018

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Inspiron 13 or 15

edit:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...504018897217012

$600 xps 13 after xps400off coupon code

Only thing id say is upgrade or plan on upgrading the ssd as its only 128gb.

Looks about perfect, thanks! Might order this later tonight. 128gb is probably fine too, I don't carry a lot around on it honestly, a couple of 10s of gigs of reference material is about it aside from Office and a few small utilities.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

XPS is top notch. I’m rocking a 15 and it’s an extremely solid laptop

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
My friend is going to teach in Korea for a while and might be moving around a lot. Taking her gaming desktop and 2 monitors with her doesn't look like an option so she's looking to get something that she can take on a plane without too much trouble. It doesn't have to be a laptop - she is open to the possibility of a compact desktop setup if it will fit in a carry-on. Her budget is around $1k. She plays mostly MMOs but occasionally FPS games (Overwatch).

Suggest?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pablo Gigante posted:

XPS is top notch. I’m rocking a 15 and it’s an extremely solid laptop

My battery just died after a month lollll

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Clairetic posted:

My friend is going to teach in Korea for a while and might be moving around a lot. Taking her gaming desktop and 2 monitors with her doesn't look like an option so she's looking to get something that she can take on a plane without too much trouble. It doesn't have to be a laptop - she is open to the possibility of a compact desktop setup if it will fit in a carry-on. Her budget is around $1k. She plays mostly MMOs but occasionally FPS games (Overwatch).

Suggest?

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-7700HQ-1060-6GB-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Clairetic posted:

Suggest?

Dell 7577.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

baka kaba posted:

That's rough, friend

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

PirateDentist posted:

Looks about perfect, thanks! Might order this later tonight. 128gb is probably fine too, I don't carry a lot around on it honestly, a couple of 10s of gigs of reference material is about it aside from Office and a few small utilities.

Add to cart, click checkout. Suddenly out of stock. :suicide: The one time I don't debate a purchase for a week.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

baka kaba posted:

xps line has onsite warranty support so they will come to you and fix it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Clairetic posted:

Suggest?

Dell 7577, and a warranty.

The Acer Predator Helios 300 linked above is an excellent option, but if you're going out of the country, I would put Dell's global presence to your advantage if warranty matters arise.

Be aware that the 7577 will come a little lower-spec unless you extreme coupon (this may or many not be feasible within the bounds of when your friend leaves), or you may need to spend a little more to get it up to par, on top of the warranty.

Dell Outlet has a similarly-specced laptop which may or may not still be in stock by the time you click this link: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnline...qtB1v%2bFGAdrHf

Use the coupon code QDD5 to see if it'll shave some more off the top.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 2, 2018

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Similarly spec'd out, what's the consensus on a Yoga 720 vs an XPS 15?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I see more dead yogas than any other laptop

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Similarly spec'd out, what's the consensus on a Yoga 720 vs an XPS 15?

Well the XPS 15 has a 4GB 1050 vs only 2GB on the Yoga, also the XPS isn’t a 2-in-1 although they’re releasing one soon

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I did this with an x260, it was absurdly easy and didn't require any tools. The only issue I found is that the 1080p display was slightly smaller than the 768 one, so it didn't clip into the housing properly. Apparently there's a whole other rear display housing part for the 1080p model, but frankly, gently caress that noise. I put some black Sugru into the inside corners and sides of the housing, squished the display in, put the bezel on and made sure it was centered while it was still soft. Now it's rock solid and probably more durable than the original mount, and I can just cut away the Sugru if I need to replace it again.

If you don't want to gently caress with it that much you could just hunt down the right display housing, but it's a rare part and I'm not gonna spend $70 on a piece of plastic when $3 worth of silicone does a better job.

Just make sure that the edp port lines up with where the cable comes out in your display housing. For my x260 it's off-center, so I had to make sure I got a display with an off-center port. You can check Lenovo's website, they give you lots of detail for field repairs.

Looks like these are the bits that will fit the FHD screen. Not too painful. Thank you for the heads up.

code:
WV4 FRU LCD COVER SMALL CHUNQIU				01HW945	€28.50
WV4 FRU  LCD BEZEL for small panel for camera		01HW949	€15.00
.. agh the parts ordering website is not good. Won't accept GBP and also won't let me change the currency my account uses!

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking for some more recommendations for a gaming laptop, since I'm looking around a bit for one on sale.

I'd like a fine quality 17" laptop with a 1060, 16 GB ram and a 512 GB SSD.

A good keyboard and screen are priorities, battery life is nice but not vital, same with sound quality.

I'm in Denmark, and looking to spend around 1800€.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I would recommend a Razer Blade for that price, purely based on exchange rates. However, the shipping—or indeed availability—may complicate things.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dell XPS deal is back and $20 cheaper

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...803809263044747

If you go through slickdeals there is a $50 rebate

https://slickdeals.net/f/11224727-dell-xps-13-9360-laptop-i5-7200u-8gb-ddr3-128gb-ssd-13-3-1080p-550-after-50-slickdeals-rebate-free-s-h?v=1

$529 after rebate for a xps 13

edit: ohh it was an i7 yesterday, this is the i5

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Didn't come up as $20 less for me, but it was back in stock. Thanks! Went through the SD link, so hopefully that works. Takes care of the tax.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Don Lapre posted:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...803809263044747

If you go through slickdeals there is a $50 rebate

https://slickdeals.net/f/11224727-dell-xps-13-9360-laptop-i5-7200u-8gb-ddr3-128gb-ssd-13-3-1080p-550-after-50-slickdeals-rebate-free-s-h?v=1

$529 after rebate for a xps 13

edit: ohh it was an i7 yesterday, this is the i5

that's a spankin good deal and honestly i5 vs i7 makes zero difference for U series cpus.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

honestly i5 vs i7 makes zero difference for U series cpus.

Is that true of the 8th-gen as well?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Apollodorus posted:

yeah it's still a sub-10% difference in real world usage. Unlike desktop parts, the difference between the ULV parts comes entirely down to clock speed, and considering these chips are for ultrabooks, thermals are always going to be more of a limiting factor than binning. The 8520u is still a better deal by far.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Don Lapre posted:

xps line has onsite warranty support so they will come to you and fix it.

Yeah they're doing that, it just sucks! Also the diagnostic test absolutely flips out when it realises the battery is messed up. All reading error codes on the phone in the 3-second gaps between the insanely loud BEEEEEEEEE WOWOWOWOOOs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

8th gen is true quad core, octo core logical; 7th gen is only 2/4

Probably won't matter but some games/programs do better with extra cores, and periodically the OS can seem snappier as there's always one core that's free to handle new tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well I’m currently rocking a 3rd-gen i5 with a 1366x768 screen so like a Yoga with i5-8250 and 1080p would be a ludicrously huge improvement :v

No but seriously now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t save more and wait longer for the XPS 15 2-in-1 to come out. Because why not?