Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Did you remember to plug the fans in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is it a retina or regular?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I did not have to unplug the fans. It is non retina.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Could you run something like Machine Profile and have it tell us exactly which model it is / give us the stats?

Unless you want us to keep playing "Blind Men And The Elephant" all day long.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Sorry. MacBook Pro 8,2. Core i7 2.2ghz, 4gb ram

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Julius CSAR posted:

Hoooo boy, ok. I've got a question about running some hardware and I'm pretty the answer is "lol that not gonna work boi" but here we go. My mac is currently running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 for reference. I'm currently using SheepShaver to emulate Mac OS 9.0 to play old flight sims (Hornet, A-10, Hellcats). Now here is where you will start laughing at me, provided you didn't start when I said "play old flightsims". I have USB joystick that I have connected (ref Thrustmaster 1600m, which OSX will recognize) but it will not get recognized by my system 9 build. I know there's some programs that will assign keyboard commands to joystick axis like USB Overdrive but it the amount of assigning keys/axis for it will take quite a while so it's kind of my last resort option. I even went as far as to download the old Thrustmaster software to see if would recognize it, but of course it did not. I've downloaded the USB extensions for OS 9 but it doesn't seem to be working. I've heard that 9.2.2 has updated USB extensions that will allow it to read USB 2.0 ports but I'm unsure if the sheepshaver architecture has PCI/USB programmed into the emulator.

Is there anyway to get an OS9.x.x build to recognize a USB controller, or is there a possibility there is a piece of software that will convert USB input to ADB? Actual ADB to USB hardware is a no go as the controller is USB itself, and I'm not trying to plug a USB controller into an old powerPC or vice versa.

I hope this makes some sense.

Hate to say it but you might be better off running Hornet for Windows in VMWare.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Could always try booting to the recovery partition and seeing if its just as slow and jittery there. Do you know if it still has the original HDD that came with it?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shaocaholica posted:

So when you initiate screen sharing the sender has to accept a UI dialog on their end but what if I have a Mac at work or some other remote location and I want to remote into it? Seems like screen sharing doesn't support remote sign in. Is there no Apple native way to do remote desktop essentially?

e: lol I forgot Apple Remote Desktop....$80
e2: omg the app store reviews are terrible

I just use TeamViewer with both sides binded to an account, and the serving end told specifically to allow connections from that profile. Works pretty good for the most part.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
TeamViewer's licensing can eat a dick

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
you can just use vnc like youre connecting to a server. i dont have anything i can test with it right now but i think it will work as long as you have the sharing preferences configured correctly and probably need to forward port 5900.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I am working on a 15” MacBook Pro that I was given. I put a new battery and trackpad in it. I wiped the hard drive and installed High Sierra from scratch. Have not installed anything on it. Kernel_task is pegging the CPU nonstop. I did the nvram reset and reset the SMC and neither seemed to fix it. What would be the best next troubleshooting step?

Does the battery actually work? Is it an Apple battery or knockoff battery? Tried disconnecting the trackpad? Tried temporarily unplugging the wireless card?

At this point, unless you have an older OS to install, you should bring it to Da Fruit Stand™ so they can run diagnostics on it, if you haven't run the built-in ones yet.

Maybe also reseat the RAMs, or try starting with only 1 chip at a time to see if the other is bad..

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just got a MacBook at work, and I'm trying to get used to the different ways of doing things. One that I can't figure out is how to get a keyboard shortcut to lock the screen. It's running High Sierra, but for some reason I don't have the Lock Screen entry in the Apple menu, so adding an app shortcut for "Lock Screen" doesn't work. How else can I do this?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That's weird. Does your user account have a password set?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Control-Command-Q

Edit: careful not to do Shift-Command-Q because that’s log off.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Evis posted:

Control-Command-Q

jesus where have you been all my life... I have been using macos for a year now, and had to write a tiny Start Screen Saver service in order to get it to lock...

Control Command Q is amazing! It should be mentioned somewhere intuitive for new users to find!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Control Command Q is amazing! It should be mentioned somewhere intuitive for new users to find!

It's new in High Sierra, and it's in the Apple menu near Shut Down and Log Out so it's pretty obvious for new users.

Previously you could get it through enabling the menu icon for Keychain Access which was a lot less obvious.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

pzy posted:

TeamViewer's licensing can eat a dick

:haw::hf::haw:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
before high sierra i would just put it to sleep with control+shift+eject, now that I think about it, is there a command to use if you dont have an eject key?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CMD SHIFT ESC

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

funmanguy posted:

before high sierra i would just put it to sleep with control+shift+eject, now that I think about it, is there a command to use if you dont have an eject key?

They use the power button instead of eject, at least on the 2012-2015 MacBooks where power was a key in the exact same position eject was.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

carry on then posted:

They use the power button instead of eject, at least on the 2012-2015 MacBooks where power was a key in the exact same position eject was.

Can confirm. And if you want to use the power button in the normal way without long pressing fn+power button.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've always set a hot corner to trigger the screen saver, and require a password after 5 seconds or whatever.

That way I can walk away from my desk with a mad flourish :buddy:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I've always set a hot corner to trigger the screen saver, and require a password after 5 seconds or whatever.

Same

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
hey, we might be jamfing it up around here, anyone have experience implementing it?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I am working on a 15” MacBook Pro that I was given. I put a new battery and trackpad in it. I wiped the hard drive and installed High Sierra from scratch. Have not installed anything on it. Kernel_task is pegging the CPU nonstop. I did the nvram reset and reset the SMC and neither seemed to fix it. What would be the best next troubleshooting step?

Does it run really hot? Apparently kernel_task can sometimes take over CPU utilization in response to high temperatures (or perceived high temperatures due to a faulty sensor, etc.) You might need new thermal paste.

(Last night I opened up my Early 2011 13" and replaced the battery, swapped HDD for SSD, and went all the way in to apply new thermal paste. Runs fantastically now)

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Mad flourish crew checking in.

(And then i hit that corner hot spot in the midst of a huge presentation...)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

squirrelzipper posted:

Mad flourish crew checking in.

(And then i hit that corner hot spot in the midst of a huge presentation...)

Nice, which corner are you all flinging to? Mine's bottom left

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Last Chance posted:

Nice, which corner are you all flinging to? Mine's bottom left

gently caress yeah bottom left supremacy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Bottom left checking in

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:same: Top left is for desktop exposé, and I can't use the right ones because I usually have another display there

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Bottom right is the only correct answer, obviously.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Every time I touch a mouse or trackpad for something that can be done by pressing two or seven keys at once, I die a little inside.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Data Graham posted:

I swap the Siri button on the TouchBar for a lock button.

I was in the flourish crew for a bit but kept doing it accidentally with my crazy sensitive mouse.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Evis posted:

Control-Command-Q

Edit: careful not to do Shift-Command-Q because that’s log off.

That doesn't do anything for me. I do have a password set by my company (that is, it's my own password, but the one I've chosen for our network and AD setup).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You are 100% sure it is High Sierra? I can't find a single user complaining about 'Lock Screen' not showing up in the Apple menu, I certainly can't replicate it myself, and I'm trying to think of what configuration option could possibly disable that... Maybe Fast User Switching is disabled? Although I'm not sure why that would stop you locking your screen.

It is utterly bizarre, that. But what you are describing does sound like it's somehow disabled, and probably unintentionally. Maybe one of the corporate Mac guys here knows.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Axiem posted:

Bottom right is the only correct answer, obviously.

:same:

Also for giggles go check if the option to lock screen is still in keychain

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Pivo posted:

You are 100% sure it is High Sierra? I can't find a single user complaining about 'Lock Screen' not showing up in the Apple menu, I certainly can't replicate it myself, and I'm trying to think of what configuration option could possibly disable that... Maybe Fast User Switching is disabled? Although I'm not sure why that would stop you locking your screen.

It is utterly bizarre, that. But what you are describing does sound like it's somehow disabled, and probably unintentionally. Maybe one of the corporate Mac guys here knows.

Oh poo poo, it's regular Sierra. I found a way to start the screen saver with a hot key through Automator, but my screen saver doesn't actually run. It's just black screens. Now when I look at the screen saver preferences, the preview is a horrible jumble of colors instead of the Cosmos pictures.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

hooah posted:

Oh poo poo, it's regular Sierra.

Yeah, there you go. OK two options: 1) go to Keychain Access.app, go to Preferences, enable the menu bar icon, and you should be able to lock your screen from that menu bar icon.

2) Enable Require Password After ... : https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25376?locale=en_US
and then force Display Sleep via:

quote:

- Control+Shift+Eject is the keystroke for Macs with an Eject key, and for external keyboards.

- Control+Shift+Power is the keystroke for Macs without the eject key, like the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Retina.

These both effectively lock your screen on command. You can also trigger the screen saver with a hot corner like the other weirdos here but I could never get used to that and would trigger it accidentally more than intentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The shortcut I made works for the time being. I'm using a non-Mac USB keyboard that doesn't have a power or eject key, which is why o had to make a new one.

On a different note, is there a way to use the control key for all browser shortcuts, as I do on Windows? It's a bit inconvenient to switch between control and command for switching/creating new tabs, searching on the page, etc.